April 24, 2024, 07:25:06 AM

Author Topic: The Ticks & the Tocks of the Men Chosen for Warrior Duties.  (Read 7156 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
The Ticks & the Tocks of the Men Chosen for Warrior Duties.
« on: October 05, 2006, 05:34:58 PM »
The Ticks & the Tocks of the Men Chosen for Warrior Duties.
By: Hannibal Najjar.
[/size]

The following represents my opinions and assessment of the abilities of the players called up by Wim Rijsbergen for National duty this month and beyond – how are we to fair in the games to come and future ahead? The prospects are good and here is why.

Jan Michael Williams – Not too much to say here. I have not seen Williams in operation too much and during my time back as Coach during 2002-2003, he was just emerging. I believe however, that Williams is as good a local call as any. Goalkeeping is the one area that we have been blessed with over the years, save the roll-over periods at the National Youth level where we encountered some transitional losses - somewhat understandable.

Cyd Gray – I have always liked Gray, even though there was a brief period that he seemed to be phasing out and delivering carelessly. He grew through some rough times in Costa Rica, Mexico and elsewhere, but has risen to the challenge. He is tenacious, strong, durable, and of late, he has acquired a good sense for the game and the varied pace speed that is required at the higher and international levels. The recent captaincy bestowments can’t hurt him. His mentality will allow him to be around for a few more years. He is very easily satisfied and so the T&TFF and coaches do not have to petition his commitment with too much concern or effort. Cyd was an invitee during my time of coaching during 2002-2003.

Dennis Lawrence – Right now, he is the key to our transition, both, in the leadership aspect as well as solidifying our learned, positive, defensive mentality. Dennis is a committed warrior and one that has a great deal to offer especially when he retires. He brings a calming influence and demeanor to the team and country at large – he certainly does for me now and before while serving during 2002-2003. He is effective and shows much willingness to serve and lead, and also, to follow. He is an integral part of our success, now and the future and I hope he stays on. Dennis was an invitee during my time of coaching during 2002-2003.

Avery John – He has impressed me with his commitment leading up to and including the World Cup. Avery, like Cyd Gray is tenacious and full of courage. He has acquired ample experience and even though he is not as exposed as some of our other foreign-based pros, his preliminary training and levels of global understanding and educational exposure stands him in good stead. Good choice and good defender. Avery was an invitee during my time of coaching during 2002-2003.

David Atiba Charles – Atiba is worthy of the calling and one that has to be used more steadily and consistently if he is to stay around. He has great physical attributes and is a patient and focused individual and can help us now in this transition period. He needs to be empowered with the assignment of a “starter” position as this will give him the confidence needed to become a permanent fixture and one that he is now probably entitled to. Atiba is very good defender and could be around for a long time. Atiba was an invitee during my time of coaching during 2002-2003 and one of the younger, better talents.

Nigel Daniel – What a talent! He is in the mould of yesteryear’s Marvin “Marvelous” Faustin. Nigel, I am supposed is ready for his time as a permanent fixture on the national team. Some argue, and with some merit, that his size can be seen as a negative factor at this level on a consistent basis. I believe that his level of game awareness, natural instincts are outstanding and all of the size concerns could be overcome. Nigel was an invitee during my time of coaching during 2002-2003 and one of the younger, better talents.

Dwyane Jack – No comment, as I do not know him.

Andrei Pacheco – No comment – I have only rare remembrances of him.

Kerry Baptiste – I happen to like Kerry very much, especially for his versatility. He is crafty, quick, and relentless. He plays with a great deal of savvy and has a good read of the game both, defensively but, especially, offensively. He is elusive and possesses good ball control especially with speed and seems to still be aware of spaces and places where players are or will run into. Very good choice! Kerry was an invitee during my time of coaching during 2002-2003 and one of the younger, better talents.

Christopher Birchall – No need to elaborate, for he is proven, tried and tested. He is now loved by all and his presence on the team has been magnanimous. He has added a much needed dimension to the team by virtue of his personality, workmanlike style and dedication to the cause. He is a consummate giver that needs no solicitation, no dangling carrots. Dennis discovered him, and that’s one of the reasons behind my hope that Dennis stays around and involved. Chris’ contributions, as silent as it is, speaks very loudly to our temperament and reconfiguration of our understanding of the game, and the pieces necessary to make a team consistently good at the higher levels. He comes with no baggage and blue-collar mentality gives us the illumination in an area that we need to be stronger.

Carlos Edwards – It is absolutely great to have him around. Carlos is the best and most effective transition player that we have around. He is instinctively savvy, physically superiorly fit, loves to journey up and down the field and does so with relentless ease, efficiency and effectiveness. He also brings a dimension of poise and calm, very much like Dennis Lawrence does, to the team, any team – it is his personality, and we are blessed to have him around. Carlos was an invitee during my time of coaching during 2002-2003.

Kenwyne Jones – We are very fortunate to have the likes of Kenwyne on our National side especially given his accumulating and compounding experiences that he keeps bringing to the table. He is young, talented, vivacious, and can play extremely well in attack and in defense. I do believe that soon, he can be positioned in a central mid-field role and would do an effective job there. Great physical and ever-present figure on the field – he makes things happen – he is not a watcher or a wonderer or wanderer. Kenwyne was an invitee during my time of coaching during 2002-2003. He was one of the younger, better talents and if not for an ankle injury, Kenwyne would have been playing earlier.

Jason Scotland – I wonder if his name was Jason England, if he would be playing in ……….well, I am only lightening up the tempo a little. Jason is our best, most strong and powerful athlete. So strong and powerful he is, and so agonizingly annoying his center of gravity is, that defenders have to be positionally and collectively ready for him at all times. If not, Jason will have a field day. In fact, he is the best in this regard that I have seen around for decades. He must be on the team and must be played often – he builds on the last game whether good, bad, or indifferent. He is a proven goal scorer and for him to be consistently effective when playing for T&T, one need has to be met – he must be rewarded with encouragement. He is also one that does not need dangling carrots to commit or perform but, just pure, plain, and simple, encouragement; and he may need this 24-7, and one must be prepared to provide this for he is worth the time and the investment. Great inclusion, this in spite of him being ill-advised to leave T&T for China without due notice to the T&TFF. Jason was an invitee during my time of coaching during 2002-2003.

Collin Samuel – Very much like Jason Scotland. Collin possesses very good physical attributes. He however, relies less on outside encouragement and motivation in order to perform well and consistently. He is strong, fast and powerful. He possesses the understanding of his own abilities, and can appropriate these skills as they are needed. Though he has good attacking traits, he can also serve us well in a midfield, flanking position as he prizes being fit and considered utility or transitional. I like his work ethic and his desire to serve and improve. A great deal of what he boasts is self-made and that speaks volumes for his future. This latter positive, self-made trait, reminds me a great deal of Stern John in his growing and formative years. Collin was an invitee during my time of coaching during 2002-2003.

Stern John – Stern has the best developmental story to tell of anyone that I can think of. Stern’s rise up the “corporate ladder”, i.e. the methodical progression made in and through football, is one that should be done and presented as a model for others to follow – no one has painstakingly rose, step-by-step, stage-by-stage, phase-by-phase, one at a time, as Stern’s rise to the top depicts. I shared this with him when seeking his services back in 2002-2003. In another sense however, Stern also provides us with a perfect example of what we must be weary about – management of such talents is the key. Stern was an invitee during my time of coaching during 2002-2003.

Hector Sam – I considered Hector back in 2002-2003, but because I assessed in that short time permitted of me to review, that he needed to have more variety to his approach to the game, I withheld inviting him – back then he was playing with Dennis Lawrence, and Carlos Edwards for Wrexham. Maybe, this time around, 4 years later, and with much more experience under his belt, he will come through. He has touch, “skill” as we call it, but I’ll be searching for his, will. he showed promise ever since at Superstar Rangers for which then I briefly oversaw.

Dwight Yorke – Always been one of my favourites! Dwight’s revival provides me with one of my most gratifying moments for me in football. As his coach, while as a very young teenager through our U-17 to U-20 National campaigns 1995-1998, I delivered the verdict to him, as I did to others around, that he had the potential to become our country’s best ever football player. We shared these visions often but, the recall that still comes alive most was, when in our hotel room while playing marvelously in Guatemala in 1987 at CONCACAF’s U-20 World-Cup qualification tournament, we shared some future thinking and wishes and I was adamant then that he was the torchbearer. Using Christian language, I want to exuberantly state that Dwight’s turnaround in the past two years or so, represents a reconviction after having been in a back-sliding mode. I am still spell-bound, as I am happy for him – he has always been a blue-eyed boy of mine and now, following his recommitment to his country’s cause that was so evidently seen during this 2006 World Cup campaign, his eyes now are even, more blue. We all are happy for him, but especially so is, his mother. His continuation on the national team must be done with utter care and due consideration for his stage in his life, his image and future critics. I believe that Dwight should concentrate on his personal life and future plans and not be tooooooo burdened with the responsibilities to carry the team. I hope he can continue to give, but, not at the expense of his private and future life and plans.

Andre Toussaint – Now, this is what I have been waiting for – the arrival of “Sweetness” on the international stage. “Sweetness” is the name that best describes this young man’s skill, and vision to play in small areas as well as throughout the larger field. Andre “Sweetness” Toussaint is our key to replacing the likes of the diminutive and exceptionally illusive, “Little Magician”. He is the one who can best represent what we had and now, sorely miss, i.e. the mastery on the ball, vision for the field and the game clock. “Sweetness” is, in my opinion, the best replacement for Russell and Arnold Dwarika, our best two play-makers at the mid-field position in a very long while. Andre’s skill is deafening and mesmerizing and I hope that he is in the mind-mode to take up that general, mid-field role. Well done Wim, your decision is a wise one and you will reap the rewards – that’s my sentiment. Well done “Sweetness”, not only am happy for you and proud of your achievements, I will be praying for good health, wise living and a futuristic perspective on your behalf, so that you can successfully carry the torch. Andre was a younger invitee during my time of coaching during 2002-2003.

What about Silvio Spann? - I do not care that Silvio is not on a team, he has to be called for this occasion. Silvio has grown so much in stature and maturity that I am proud of him as I am of his father, and one I would like to call, friend, Leroy (I hope he will allow me that privilege). Quite frankly, I would rather blame the T&TFF for leaving Silvio without participation in the game, at least, even within our local league while he awaits other developments – any “friendly” contract could have been written up to facilitate him in the interim. We cannot, and must not, be derelict in our duties to bargain for Silvio Spann. In fact, what he seems to be needing is, game time, if he is to strengthen his appeal and petitioning with foreign clubs. And to this end, representation in the T&T team over these next two games, will stand him in good stead and by this, us also. Furthermore, Silvio is good, mature and proven enough that, even without being exactly involved in a league or club for this period, he can still make a sizeable contribution. We, at least owe it to him particularly given the unfortunate circumstances that shattered him prior to the World Cup, and which left him out of the team. His inclusion is best for our nation, and the returns on an investment as this, in these two games, are immeasurable. Silvio was an invitee during my time of coaching during 2002-2003.

What about Cornell Glenn? - I love these two players and we have to pray that Cornell’s injuries do not have a lasting blow to his playing career. I have a great deal of time for this young man. He is not easily swayed and has his own mind. He seeks sincerity in leadership and will call a spade a spade. He is confident in his own abilities and does not discredit anyone who possesses something that he admires – he is not xenophobic about anything or anyone (smile Ian). What a talent Cornell is!! He can demolish anyone with his blow-out speed and he is strong enough to withstand any challenge at the highest international level. Cornell however needs to work more on his timing of all things, for with proper timing share strength could be corralled when not needed – he can then better deal with particularly, shoulder challenges but, other contesting equations and situations. This young man is elegant and beautiful to watch, as he is also cantankerously effective – he can win a game for you out of nothing; when taunted or “furied’, he posses that one-blow that can bring about a thunderous effect. Keep Cornell in our prayers, I will! Cornell was an invitee during my time of coaching during 2002-2003.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 02:19:24 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: The Ticks & the Tocks of the Men Chosen for Warrior Duties.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 05:55:45 PM »
Nice review. I like the talk about Toussaint
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 06:33:42 PM »
Absolutely wonderful review,I'm excited and relishing the teams remolding.........

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 06:42:59 PM »
Come on scotland I know you could score some goals for we next week ,do it ,big up!!!

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 07:01:03 PM »
Fantastic!!!!

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
  • Great are the Warriors///We shall Prevail!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 07:12:08 PM »

Saw Toussaint earlier this evening in action against the U-20's, didn't look to impressive..but I know he has a lot of skill and im sure it may have been a case of him having a bad game....I think he is definitely one for the future...
Iz not Pre-Marital Sex, if yuh have no intention 2 geh Married..........

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 07:16:12 PM »
Sorry to hear that Warrior King. I hope Toussaint had an isolated so so moment as the glowing praises about him are overwhelming and I want to believe it. Hope the no 10 jersey and all this hype is not affecting him
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 07:21:08 PM »
I glad they play today ,get the nerves and bad game out of the way !

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 07:47:55 PM »

Saw Toussaint earlier this evening in action against the U-20's, didn't look to impressive..but I know he has a lot of skill and im sure it may have been a case of him having a bad game....I think he is definitely one for the future...

Ah Think yuh might have been looking for latas and not toussaint,it happens quite often when a player is  somehow compared to another, such as latas or dwarika the let down is often greater than the anticipation............

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 05:51:04 AM »
Excellent analysis !!!!!

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 08:18:57 AM »
Im not worried bout toussaint I can name tons of players who when they just began look rather ineffective till they get a few games under their belt....whitley , dwarika , lawrence, carlos  just to name a few so i wont take away nothing from toussaint if he aint shine these two games as long as he has the mntal capacity and the skill to make the transition he will be ok besides he is a benedicts man .....form is temporary class is permanent

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 08:21:01 AM »
Good review but what's up with the dangling carrots? ??? :rotfl:

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 08:43:28 AM »
Good review but what's up with the dangling carrots? ??? :rotfl:

i think that is a metaphor for water (at training sessions   :devil:)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 09:01:31 AM »
de man nickname 'sweetness' oui  :o

Well boy I hadda see de kinda sugary spanner he go put dong on dem vincy an dem
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 09:09:11 AM »
Imma play devils advocate here,but everybody love the article because he give glowing reviews to everybody on the team, even man who not on the team.
You mean to say our players have no shortcomings, no areas for imporvement.
Am I the only one that thinks that Birchall gets run past easily.
Am I the only one who gets afraid when Avery has the ball at his feet.
Am I the only one feel like Hannibal was trying to big up himself by showing that all they players picked now, were picked by him also, indirectly saying, "look how good I am, i picked these fellas first, i built this team"
Is 'sweetness' Toussaint's nickname or Am I the only one that thinks Hannibal trying t get out in front with bestowing a nickname on him, just in case he turns out to be the next 'Little Magician'

sorry eh, i was up till 5:30AM and came to work for 8am so maybe I am jus cranky...Florida Carniva nah!!

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2006, 11:18:14 AM »
nice article, but I dont support the point about recalling Span just because of nostalgia or anything else.
I rate him alot, he is a real warrior, real class, and it was very unfortunate he missed the WC, but just to recall him to appease him and boost his confidence is not the way.
I am sure he is in proper communication with WIM and knows the situation about his being active.
Let anodda yute buss in the meantime.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2006, 12:03:30 PM »
I dont like this review.

I never liked najjar.  He is a attention seeker who none of the players like. 

I remember when stern john spoke up against his training regime in a qualifying tournament in trinidad where we failed to qualify for the Gold cup. (i think we lost to Cuba 3-1 after leading 1-0 and Najjar said he was outcoached......lol).

I never really take what he says seriously as he is always auditioning for a job.

I really dont see any other purpose for him stating who he invited during his tenue as coach other than to show what Mr.Mc said before!!

ps: andre toussaint already has a nickname and it is "mouthfull"

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2006, 04:37:04 PM »
More ticks than tocks but nevertheless insightful.  Looking to the future, two men I am very much interested to hear how they do with regular International duty is Nigel Daniel and "Sweetness."

Blessings.
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 06:37:03 PM »
Wha bout I'm on a plane sitting on a runway in chicago posting this from my blackberry...anyway, najaar sounds like he was just trying to be flowery and upbeat without much substance. All I have to say is that I saw sweetness play when he was around 17 or 18, and I thought he was the best talent we had at that age, at the time. I cyah wait tuh see him wear the nat'l shirt...he is a baller and I'm glad he's gettin' a chance again.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 06:41:08 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 07:37:59 PM »
How old is toussaint?

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 07:53:47 PM »

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2006, 08:58:13 PM »
I remember being in trinidad a few yrs ago and seeing Toussaint play for the first time and he stood out to me as one of the smarter players on the pitch. I never heard abt him or knew who he was so I asked the guy next to me who that was and then he told me his name; I said to myself this guy's skill is different, very very different. I thought two things, he is too small to be a successful striker ( he was a striker that day) and he is to skilled to not make our national team. Its been a few years and I think he was called to training once but didn't make the cut and I didn't hear anything abt him since.

Bottom line is I've seen this guy play once, abt 4 or 5 yrs ago and I never to this day forgot that performance because he impressed the heck out of me; I'm glad to see him finally getting a chance. Now I hear he is playing in the midfield and that actually makes more sense to me because he sure can create something out of nothing on that pitch.

Good luck Andre T.

1]; } ?>