April 23, 2024, 12:49:06 PM

Author Topic: Jumping Jack.  (Read 5749 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Jumping Jack.
« on: October 12, 2006, 06:10:24 PM »
Jumping Jack.[/size]

Lasana Liburd looks at the biography of controversial football chief, Jack Warner

He is a measure of reality for those who like bullshit- Chuck Blazer, CONCACAF ExCo member.
Federation of International Football Associations (FIFA) vice-president and United National Congress (UNC) deputy political leader Jack Warner at a FIFA meeting on Friday, September 15, was to again respond to allegations regarding his conduct following a fresh controversy regarding the sale of Germany 2006 World Cup tickets.
Once more, Warner must repel accusations of greed and abuse of authority. He has had plenty practice in more than three decades as a sport administrator although the former school teacher has never completely silenced his detractors.
Last December, Warner's diversion of Trinidad and Tobago's World Cup tickets to his family-owned Simpaul's Travel company-which was broken exclusively by the Trinidad Express-earned him a "guilty" conviction by FIFA's Committee for Ethics and Fair Play, who ruled that it was a "conflict of interest" unbecoming of his office. The packages were also declared illegal.
FIFA subsequently let Warner off without further censure providing that he distanced himself from Simpaul's Travel but it was arguably another embarrassing episode for Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation's (T&TFF) special adviser.
Warner's biography titled "From Zero To Hero", which was written by Guardian Sport Editor Valentino Singh and published in June, allowed him the opportunity to satisfy his fans.
Yet, Warner offered token resistance to charges levelled against him for his role in the ticket scandals of the November 19, 1989 qualifier against the United States and the 2006 World Cup campaign.
He claimed that the Simpaul scandal was "character assassination" but did not substantiate this statement and glossed over the fact that his own organisation, FIFA, ruled that he had violated their rules by his involvements. In 1989, he also appeared ignorant of the dangers posed by his overselling of tickets on November 19 such as riots or a fire hazard.
"I knew that there would be questions after the game," Warner told his biographer, "but I figured that once we qualified, most of the inconveniences of the afternoon would be forgiven".
The author also largely ignored the Warner family's profiteering from the 2001 Under-17 World Championship staged in Trinidad and Tobago, which cost taxpayers well over $300 million.
The failure to properly address let alone explain the controversial moments that define much of the public opinion of Warner is the biggest flaw in his biography.
Warner's success story is one of a poor, underprivileged boy from Rio Claro who defied his environment through self-discipline, energy and vision. Singh adequately guided his readers through Warner's childhood and adolescent years straight into his time at the Teachers' Training College.
But it is when Warner took wings that the details became obscure.
Exactly how did Warner progress from the life of an average school teacher and small town administrator to a multi-millionaire, who once gave his personal value at over $150 million?
The author asserted that the administrator had the potential to be "one of the richest men in T&T, if not in the world" based solely on a FIFA executive position which "created major revenue earning opportunities for him".
It seemed to allude to the very conflicts of interest and abuses of power that have repeatedly dogged Warner and his mentor and ex-FIFA president Dr Joao Havelange.
On the eve of the April 28, 1990 CONCACAF congress, Havelange met individually with each member association. The following day, Warner successfully defeated Mexican incumbent Joaquin Terrazzas for the post of CONCACAF president.
Warner made no secret about his worth to the present FIFA president.
"We (CONCACAF) were the only Confederation to give one hundred per cent support to the new president," said Warner, "and we were richly rewarded for our loyalty".
A report from then FIFA general secretary Michel Zen-Ruffinen, four years ago, alleged that Blatter had inappropriately written off a $62 million debt owed by CONCACAF while Zen Ruffinen questioned why Warner was allowed to purchase television rights for the Caribbean for the nominal fee of US$1 for the 1990, 1994 and 1998 World Cups under Havelange.
Warner was more loquacious when dealing with his abilities as a football administrator although his claims seemed exaggerated.
He boasted about almost single-handedly saving Trinidad and Tobago and Caribbean football but deliberately downplayed what existed before him.
Two Caribbean teams-Haiti and Cuba-had played at the World Cup finals before Warner helped form the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) in 1977 while, at the previous World Cup qualifying series in 1973, three of the final six competing teams-hosts Haiti, Trinidad and Tobago and the Netherlands Antilles-were from the region.
Haiti and Trinidad and Tobago ended in first and second spots respectively ahead of the likes of North American super power, Mexico.
In the post-Warner era, only Jamaica (1998) and Trinidad and Tobago (2006) qualified although the number of available spots has more than trebled while the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) have sometimes gone unrepresented at the final qualifying rung and have never enjoyed their previous scale of representation among the confederation's top teams.
After almost three decades in existence, the CFU still do not have a website.
Likewise, Warner claimed to have met the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) in a state of disarray when he became general secretary in 1973 although the national team was a whisker away from a 1974 World Cup spot and had nearly a dozen foreign-based professionals including Leroy De Leon, Everald "Gally" Cummings, Warren Archibald and Steve David.
Warner's assertion that he still has to bail out the local football governing body and Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) president Oliver Camps' belief that "without (Warner), the country's football was nothing" suggests the structure he helped build remains shaky after 17 years.
Warner was slow to accept blame when things went wrong.
On November 19, 1989 the "Strike Squad" struggled to get inside the National Stadium for the decisive fixture against the US and had to be airlifted over fans irate that the game had been oversold.
But the administrator boasted that he did everything but "put on my gear and score the goals myself" and blamed the 1-0 loss on coach, Cummings.
"It seems somewhat ironic that after (Cummings) had so much say in what the team did and we failed to qualify," stated Warner, "the public never called on Cummings to provide answers and instead chose me to question".
He similarly ignored the millions contributed by sponsors like TSTT and KFC Holdings while praising his supposed one-man show in the success of the "Soca Warriors".
"He is a measure of reality for those who like bullshit,," CONCACAF ExCo member American Chuck Blazer told Warner's biographer.
It is a quote that works both ways.
Curious readers might have been most interested in the trail of money that flowed to the Warner family since his involvement in football.
If so, they were left disappointed.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 07:27:50 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jumping Jack.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 06:29:38 PM »
Whta did they expect the man hire Valentino Singh to do his autobiography do u expect him to say that Jack is a Capital K crook?

That is why do not expect that the players or anybody who against Jack and his croonies to get a fair shake in th eGuardian, with Anil or anybody Jack buy.

Anybody that does pound Jack he does buy except Liburd who appears (I say appear because you neva know) to be a rareity in TNT an investigative journalist.

All yuh remember the days when Fuentes use to pound jack in the Guardian. Now he is the media officer of the TTFF. A coincidence I guess.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 08:51:00 PM »
OK so because the public did not fault Gally for the loss you take it on your self to get back at him..... And people wondering why Gally so bitter

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 09:34:26 PM »
Whta did they expect the man hire Valentino Singh to do his autobiography do u expect him to say that Jack is a Capital K crook?

That is why do not expect that the players or anybody who against Jack and his croonies to get a fair shake in th eGuardian, with Anil or anybody Jack buy.

Anybody that does pound Jack he does buy except Liburd who appears (I say appear because you neva know) to be a rareity in TNT an investigative journalist.

All yuh remember the days when Fuentes use to pound jack in the Guardian. Now he is the media officer of the TTFF. A coincidence I guess.

when fuentes ever pound jACK?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 10:22:04 PM »
When he worked with the Guardian back in the day he was one of the

few journalist that questioned Jack dealings. the criteria  for getting his present job 
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 10:23:57 PM »
When he worked with the Guardian back in the day he was one of the

few journalist that questioned Jack dealings. the criteria  for getting his present job 

thanks fuh dat info.  ::) I wish I could see dem articles dem yuh talking about...seriously!....NO...seriously eh!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 10:36:22 PM »
Fuentes no Lisana but did ask some tough questions about the TTFF when he worked with the Guardian.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 10:37:51 PM »
A report from then FIFA general secretary Michel Zen-Ruffinen, four years ago, alleged that Blatter had inappropriately written off a $62 million debt owed by CONCACAF while Zen Ruffinen questioned why Warner was allowed to purchase television rights for the Caribbean for the nominal fee of US$1 for the 1990, 1994 and 1998 World Cups under Havelange.
this is much more sinister than I had first thought as I always believed it was local rights and not Caribbean rights to Three World Cups. :o :o :o :o what ah set a tief dat FIFA are...oh gaum people

OK so because the public did not fault Gally for the loss you take it on your self to get back at him..... And people wondering why Gally so bitter
after reading this I am convinced that Gally is another TnT Football hero who has been JACKED and should focus his rage towards Warner and not the TnT coach, or other factors that he seems preoccupied with in rippin apart.
Sorry for all you experienced day Gally.

i cyar find nuttin on the net
Shaun ent easy man.....
de guardian does have past issues on Microfiche?

what I really would like to investigate is how warner does turn these people from foes back into friends...there seems to be MANY people in TnT who are in this category.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 10:51:23 AM by RedHowler »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 05:44:19 AM »

what I really would like to investigate is how warner does turn these people from foes back into friends...there seems to be MANY people in TnT who are in this category.

Jackula:
Yuh doh need to investigate me! Weren't you or your parents not educated by a Warner?!
Here is a little small change from the millions I make (theif), yuh working for me from now on!
Yuh will see how Uncle Jack will keep on looking after you if you just turn ah blind eye and look out for him?!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 05:45:57 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 08:36:26 AM »
When I think back of 89 in that stadium how man couldah dead from the overcrowding of that venue it tuff for me to ever go easy on this fellah. You know this man couldah kill at least 40 thousand ppl in that Stadium that day from his own greed .

I remember in about the 10th minute ah de 2nd half going to the bathroom to take ah piss and cyar even go down the stairway to the 2nd tier of the Stadium because man all pile up on it. When ah reach down on the bathroom level man sprawl off on the ground jes chilling taking in the euphoria of the proceedings upstairs listening for the crowd's reaction hoping we score ah goal for they troubles to get in . Is all kindah ting man was doing down dey ; some playing cards ; some talking real shit to pass off the boredom because they cyar see nothing.

But the worst part of it all was when ah went to take meh piss in the bathroom.......When ah pull out the lizard to release ah barely couldah stand up because de whole flicking stadium was shaking and buckling from the weight ah de crowd. Every 3 seconds or so ah was jumping up from the vibration of the stadium.

Check this....The seams in the junction ah de walls where the vertical and the horizon meet was flicking moving up and down. Ah watch this for about 30 seconds to ah minute and say to mehself ah could dead in this place. Being only about 15 yrs at the time ah jes compose mehself and fight mih way back up the stairs because ah mih excitement for the occasion and mih family being up dey, if ah did leave dey would ah be devastated trying to figure out wey ah was.

Ah watch de ress ah de match and jes hope we didn't score ah flicking goal because is death and destruction for the whole ah the TNT Posse in the National Stadium .

Nah ah lie bout dah one  :devil: ah was hoping we score buh ah was hoping for de bess .

Now tell me ppl should we ever let dis man off the hook for all de shit he has done to his own ppl ?

Ah not for de washing ah dirty lining in (international) public but ah will put it out for mih ppl dem to recognise how much this man has wronged his ppl . Ah said it once before and ah will say it again....TNT will never give this man ah comfortable seat in trini because it's tuff for ppl to forget what he has done in 89, he will always be uneasy in his own homeland .

Hold it dong !
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 11:01:06 AM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 11:45:49 AM »
it just eludes me how to bring....
Confidence
Honor
Honesty
Integrity
Incorruptibility
Justness
Morality
Trustworthiness
Truthfullness
and finally
Fair Play
BACK into TnT Football and subsequently FIFA.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 11:47:30 AM by RedHowler »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 11:53:38 AM »
it just eludes me how to bring....
Confidence
Honor
Honesty
Integrity
Incorruptibility
Justness
Morality
Trustworthiness
Truthfullness
and finally
Fair Play
BACK into TnT Football and subsequently FIFA.
It also eludes the TTFF, FIFA and every supporter of TnT football. The person that can do all that deserves anational award.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 12:46:32 PM »
In MHO the more and more I read about my very good friend Jack, is the more and more I realise HOW much he CONTROLS de boys in FIFA and NOT the other way around...if Blatter only fart, Jack go bring him dong with all his power brokering he has done over the years. Blatter seems to have come to Jack to get his support to get Sepp elected to his current position.
Tread very lightly there Mr. Blatter.......and Jack, dem FIFA boys will never do anyting to you
it is ALL just INCREDIBLE
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>