March 28, 2024, 04:54:11 AM

Author Topic: FIFA News Thread.  (Read 109245 times)

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FIFA News Thread.
« Reply #360 on: June 03, 2015, 11:02:43 AM »
And by limiting the power of smaller countries in favor of the already rich European and S. American countries (the likely beneficiaries of any restructuring) how would that make things any better?  Sounds like you been drinking the same poisoned Kool Aid that so many neo-colonial elites have been foisting on the public the past few days.  Before the current system was in place the bigger nations divvied up the spoils, both in terms of WC final spots, and in terms of profits from the game.  If a less democratic system than the present one is your solution, tell us how that will benefit football.
When did I suggest that I'm promoting neo-colonialism. I just said it's broken. I also said that Europe and NA aren't perfect. However there's no pretense of democracy (which suggests some proportional relationship between votes and size). FIFA's "democracy" is imbalanced in favour of smaller status that honestly are very prone to nepotism (case in point, Trinidad).

I don't really have a great answer, and I don't think Europe being the football stewards is a real answer. What I think we really need is transparency and strong controls, but that won't be in the interests of the existing power structure so I don't think it'll happen.

Seccond, people love to throw around this talk of "disproportionate"... what would have bee a more 'proportionate' share of money from football?  What metric did you use to determine what is proportionate from what is disproportionate?

If you look at the proportion of where revenues are received by FIFA, and how revenues are distributed, they are out of sync. This is not necessarily bad in theory using the wealth from media rights of larger countries to help develop the game in under-developed areas, but in reality the skimming of cream from the top hasn't netted great benefits for these under-development countries, T&T included. The system is broken.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Having the same body elect someone else with the same structure and expecting things to magically be fixed is silly at best.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 03, 2015, 11:20:49 AM »
Seccond, people love to throw around this talk of "disproportionate"... what would have bee a more 'proportionate' share of money from football?  What metric did you use to determine what is proportionate from what is disproportionate?

If you look at the proportion of where revenues are received by FIFA, and how revenues are distributed, they are out of sync. This is not necessarily bad in theory using the wealth from media rights of larger countries to help develop the game in under-developed areas, but in reality the skimming of cream from the top hasn't netted great benefits for these under-development countries, T&T included. The system is broken.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Having the same body elect someone else with the same structure and expecting things to magically be fixed is silly at best.

The system is broken, yes, but I would say not in the way that you think. The problem is not the one country, one vote system, the problem is the bribing, and skimming taking place. I think what is needed is a proper system of checks and balances to help reduce/eliminate that. And I say reduce because I'm not sure it is possible to eliminate it entirely.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 03, 2015, 11:45:33 AM »
When did I suggest that I'm promoting neo-colonialism. I just said it's broken. I also said that Europe and NA aren't perfect. However there's no pretense of democracy (which suggests some proportional relationship between votes and size). FIFA's "democracy" is imbalanced in favour of smaller status that honestly are very prone to nepotism (case in point, Trinidad).

I don't really have a great answer, and I don't think Europe being the football stewards is a real answer. What I think we really need is transparency and strong controls, but that won't be in the interests of the existing power structure so I don't think it'll happen.

Where did I say that you were promoting neo-colonialism?  I said your arguments reflect the same nonsense I've been reading from neo-colonial elites... writers from some of these 'bigger' countries grousing about the influence of the smaller ones.  If the CFU didn't have the political clout it has within FIFA Caribbean football would be in even more dire straits that it's already in.

As for democracy suggesting "... some proportional relationship between votes and size,"  suggests to whom, you?  Democracy means that every man has a say in governance, it has nothing to do with proportion or size.  Each Parliamentary constituency has one MP, one voice in Parliament, no matter the geographic or popupation size of the constituency.  In the US, each state gets two seats in the US Senate, regardless of size.  Delaware has the same two votes as does NY, as does California.  Yet we're supposed to accept that because smaller Asian, African and Caribbean countries vote for the guy purportedly wearing the black hat, that the system is 'broken'?  If they were voting for everybody's favorite candidate you wouldn't be hearing a peep about broken systems.

The 'system' isn't broken, the process is.  If you don't want these smaller countries being beholden to Blatter figure out a way to help them better themselves while also not falling prey to the corruption sown by Blatter.  The focus should be on improving delivery and use of developmental funds, and by improving transparency and efficiency... not by limiting the political clout of already vulnerable member countries.

The focus on "proportional revenues" is also misguided as any change in that situation will maintain a system of imbalance, with haves and have nots, as is the case with TV revenue in La Liga... how is that working out for the smaller clubs trying to compete with Barca and Madrid?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 11:47:10 AM by Bakes »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 03, 2015, 11:47:34 AM »
I was so right about Webb, hope allyuh believe me from now on.

To buy a house for anything about 500 and 900 thousand in Atlanta have to be a big ass mansion.

It good for de f00cker.

Webb's house is the one on the left. Watson's is on the right. So they say.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 11:50:07 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 03, 2015, 11:48:17 AM »
The system is broken, yes, but I would say not in the way that you think. The problem is not the one country, one vote system, the problem is the bribing, and skimming taking place. I think what is needed is a proper system of checks and balances to help reduce/eliminate that. And I say reduce because I'm not sure it is possible to eliminate it entirely.

Precisely.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 03, 2015, 11:55:15 AM »
I think they're related. The nations that make up a large percentage of the voting block (many small states) lack governance and control themselves, and in turn they are the ones that would need to vote in systems of checks and balances into FIFA. I can't see that being a mandate with the existing balance of power.

It's crazy to me that a global organization exerts such little control over its member bodies. I am on the board of a global non-for-profit, and our local board operates under strict rules. We for example do not get a cent from the global body without producing timely audited financial statements every year. The fact that the TTFF for example went years without such a basic controls, and that funds a remitted directly to personal accounts, etc. shows how a lot of this corruption was very unsophisticated. FIFA lacks even the most rudimentary controls at this point.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 03, 2015, 11:59:39 AM »
Where did I say that you were promoting neo-colonialism?  I said your arguments reflect the same nonsense I've been reading from neo-colonial elites... writers from some of these 'bigger' countries grousing about the influence of the smaller ones. If the CFU didn't have the political clout it has within FIFA Caribbean football would be in even more dire straits that it's already in.

The latter you are stating as fact, but neither you or I know the truth to this. That's speculation and a hypothesis.

As for democracy suggesting "... some proportional relationship between votes and size,"  suggests to whom, you?  Democracy means that every man has a say in governance, it has nothing to do with proportion or size.  Each Parliamentary constituency has one MP, one voice in Parliament, no matter the geographic or popupation size of the constituency.  In the US, each state gets two seats in the US Senate, regardless of size.  Delaware has the same two votes as does NY, as does California.  Yet we're supposed to accept that because smaller Asian, African and Caribbean countries vote for the guy purportedly wearing the black hat, that the system is 'broken'?  If they were voting for everybody's favorite candidate you wouldn't be hearing a peep about broken systems.

You're making selective examples. The Senate is decided that way but Congress isn't, as well as electoral college votes - the balance of power is proportionally driven. Most democracies scales votes to population - in a parliamentary democracy the borders of a constituency are predicated on population size in most of the modern world.

The 'system' isn't broken, the process is.  If you don't want these smaller countries being beholden to Blatter figure out a way to help them better themselves while also not falling prey to the corruption sown by Blatter.  The focus should be on improving delivery and use of developmental funds, and by improving transparency and efficiency... not by limiting the political clout of already vulnerable member countries.

The focus on "proportional revenues" is also misguided as any change in that situation will maintain a system of imbalance, with haves and have nots, as is the case with TV revenue in La Liga... how is that working out for the smaller clubs trying to compete with Barca and Madrid?

I agree with you on the former really, just in reality I don't think the current structure will allow it to actually happen.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 03, 2015, 12:04:34 PM »

It's crazy to me that a global organization exerts such little control over its member bodies. I am on the board of a global non-for-profit, and our local board operates under strict rules. We for example do not get a cent from the global body without producing timely audited financial statements every year. The fact that the TTFF for example went years without such a basic controls, and that funds a remitted directly to personal accounts, etc. shows how a lot of this corruption was very unsophisticated. FIFA lacks even the most rudimentary controls at this point.

You on the board of Transparency International. :devil:

Apparently, corruption need not be sophisticated; it just needs to be insistent. For instance, from the anecdotal evidence presented regarding corruption in T&T, much of it isn't sophisticated; it's just bold-faced, and persistent, within a climate of impunity.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 03, 2015, 12:34:49 PM »
I think they're related. The nations that make up a large percentage of the voting block (many small states) lack governance and control themselves, and in turn they are the ones that would need to vote in systems of checks and balances into FIFA. I can't see that being a mandate with the existing balance of power.

Many of the so-called 'bigger' countries lack the same governance and control, so I'm really not sure what you're getting at.  Just look at the financial scandals in Greece, the corruption trials in Italy (Berlusconi), Argentina and Brazil... need I even mention the global financial crisis caused by corporate greed in the US and the UK?

I think you meant to say that you're on the board of the local chapter of a global non-profit... but even so you're making the wrong comparison... almost literally apples to oranges.  FIFA members are more akin to franchises, paying an annual membership fee, sort of like a seed investment, and receiving annual appropriations, akin to disbursements from FIFA in return.  There is no fiduciary relationship between FIFA and its member states, unlike the situation with the global non-profit and your local chapter.  Therefore FIFA is in no position to demand audits from the local FA's in return for annual appropriations that is their right by charter.  The running of the local FAs isn't governed by FIFA but by local member charter, it's up to the member FA's constituents to ensure compliance with organizational protocols, and only in extreme circumstances would FIFA intervene... as should be the case.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 03, 2015, 12:47:22 PM »
I think you meant to say that you're on the board of the local chapter of a global non-profit... but even so you're making the wrong comparison... almost literally apples to oranges.  FIFA members are more akin to franchises, paying an annual membership fee, sort of like a seed investment, and receiving annual appropriations, akin to disbursements from FIFA in return.  There is no fiduciary relationship between FIFA and its member states, unlike the situation with the global non-profit and your local chapter.  Therefore FIFA is in no position to demand audits from the local FA's in return for annual appropriations that is their right by charter.  The running of the local FAs isn't governed by FIFA but by local member charter, it's up to the member FA's constituents to ensure compliance with organizational protocols, and only in extreme circumstances would FIFA intervene... as should be the case.

I think I'm absolutely making the right comparison in that that is how FIFA should be run, considering that the percentage of revenues that FIFA funding makes up of many national organizations (directly from FIFA and indirectly via regional bodies) is often over 75%. This is why I'm suggesting that the structure should be changed. And also why I don't think member states will vote for that type change since frankly, the current system works very well for them (lots of funds, little accountability).

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 03, 2015, 12:51:18 PM »
You on the board of Transparency International. :devil:

Apparently, corruption need not be sophisticated; it just needs to be insistent. For instance, from the anecdotal evidence presented regarding corruption in T&T, much of it isn't sophisticated; it's just bold-faced, and persistent, within a climate of impunity.

lol my profession is audit related and that really is the most basic form of internal controls. Given the vastness of the organization and the global reach, they really need a heck of a lot more controls than the simple financial reporting I gave as an example (including strong treasury controls for disbursement of funds, tractability of transactions, disclosures of personal assets, etc.). What should be in a place for a billion dollar organization from a governance and controls perspective should be broad and flexible to mitigate the global risks that FIFA has.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 03, 2015, 12:53:01 PM »
The latter you are stating as fact, but neither you or I know the truth to this. That's speculation and a hypothesis.

Speculation??  You clearly do not know the history of Caribbean football as it pertains to standing within FIFA.

You're making selective examples. The Senate is decided that way but Congress isn't, as well as electoral college votes - the balance of power is proportionally driven. Most democracies scales votes to population - in a parliamentary democracy the borders of a constituency are predicated on population size in most of the modern world.

You mean the House of Representatives, "Congress" is the collective legislative body, not one of the constituent 'chambers'.  Your reliance on the reference to the 'electoral' college is also misplaced in that you fail to appreciate that the purpose of the Electoral College system is precisely so that the influence of the larger states is tempered and that smaller states are given a more equitable stake in electing the President and Vice-President.  Not only that, the House by itself cannot pass legislation, but requires the approval of the Senate.  So whatever 'power' is derived by the larger states in the House, is checked in the Senate where there is proportional representation.

Your statement that "[m]ost democracies scales votes to population" is conclusory, at best, erroneous at worst.  Your statement about the borders of Parliamentary constituencies is a distinction without a difference.  No matter the size of the constituency most  observe single-member constituency representation, that is, one representative vote in parliament per electoral district (constituency).

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 03, 2015, 12:58:58 PM »
I think I'm absolutely making the right comparison in that that is how FIFA should be run, considering that the percentage of revenues that FIFA funding makes up of many national organizations (directly from FIFA and indirectly via regional bodies) is often over 75%. This is why I'm suggesting that the structure should be changed. And also why I don't think member states will vote for that type change since frankly, the current system works very well for them (lots of funds, little accountability).

No you're not making the right comparison by comparing two completely different organizational forms and holding them both to the same system of structural governance and compliance.  It's like comparing socialism to democracy and saying one is bad form for not following the other.  If you're trying to make the case that the FIFA model should closer resemble the parent-subsidiary model of your organization then feel free to make that argument, but as it stands the argument is poorly posited.  It matters not that the local FAs as you them are overly-reliant on FIFA funding, they have paid into the system by virtue of their annual dues and are due whatever appropriations that are made annually.  It's like a shareholding buying shares in a company, and then having to open his private books to the company as a condition to receiving the periodic/annual disbursement of his share in the company's profits.  You cannot condition a right.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:30:49 PM by Bakes »

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 03, 2015, 01:09:39 PM »
I give up on discussing this with you - you're clearly an advocate for status-quo. I'll gladly admit to using the wrong words/context (writing this at work quickly), and if you want to pick apart semantics for your point by all means if that gives you a superior feeling, but it seems you disagree with the premise. I've been exceedingly clear that I suggested a structural change, so if you failed to read that, you are selectively choosing what to read. And if you're suggesting that Delaware has the same representation power politically as California [on the whole], that's pure :bs: and you know it (that is largely my point of FIFA in terms of the balance of power with banana republic member states).

I've made my point and that's all I really want to add to this thread. Enjoy yourself.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 03, 2015, 01:29:49 PM »
I give up on discussing this with you - you're clearly an advocate for status-quo. I'll gladly admit to using the wrong words/context (writing this at work quickly), and if you want to pick apart semantics for your point by all means if that gives you a superior feeling, but it seems you disagree with the premise. I've been exceedingly clear that I suggested a structural change, so if you failed to read that, you are selectively choosing what to read. And if you're suggesting that Delaware has the same representation power politically as California [on the whole], that's pure :bs: and you know it (that is largely my point of FIFA in terms of the balance of power with banana republic member states).

I've made my point and that's all I really want to add to this thread. Enjoy yourself.

We're engaging in conversation on the issue, you offer your argument (poorly), I point out to you the logical and factual fallacies in your argument, so you toss your proverbial papers in the air and start talking shit about feeling "superior", lol.  Okay fella.  I think your ill-formed, poorly reasoned criticism of 'one country, one vote' has sufficiently been dissected and rejected.  Having a hissy fit about me being in favor of the status quo, despite direct and unambiguous evidence to the contrary does more to discredit you than I ever could. You're not doing me any favors by arguing/discussing with me.  As you came, feel free to leave. 

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: June 03, 2015, 02:06:58 PM »
I was so right about Webb, hope allyuh believe me from now on.

To buy a house for anything about 500 and 900 thousand in Atlanta have to be a big ass mansion.

It good for de f00cker.

Webb's house is the one on the left. Watson's is on the right. So they say.

Wheyyssss. Nice man
Anybody has files on Uncle Tim's and Jackulito's properties and secret companies?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:09:05 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 03, 2015, 02:27:14 PM »

Bakes, an advocate for the status quo? That's not without precedent.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 03, 2015, 02:32:45 PM »
Sepp given a 10 minute standing ovation at the office this morning. If Jack shows up, they might be on their feet for an hour?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 03, 2015, 03:22:23 PM »
Bakes advocate for the status quo? That's not without precedent.

The role of market woman hardly becomes you.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #379 on: June 03, 2015, 03:55:14 PM »
Soccer Official Chuck Blazer Admitted Accepting Bribes for World Cup Votes.
By STEPHANIE CLIFFORD

A former American soccer official linked to the FIFA corruption scandal admitted that he and others on the organization’s executive committee had accepted bribes for their support in the bidding to host the 1998 and 2010 World Cups, according to papers filed in the official’s criminal case and released on Wednesday.

The official, Chuck Blazer, made the admission when he pleaded guilty in 2013 to charges that included racketeering, wire fraud, money laundering and income tax evasion.

“Among other things, I agreed with other persons in or around 1992 to facilitate the acceptance of a bribe in conjunction with the selection of the host nation for the 1998 World Cup,” Mr. Blazer told Judge Raymond J. Dearie when he pleaded guilty in 2013.

Other papers filed in the case say that it was the Morocco bid committee that bribed Mr. Blazer. He also said that “I and others on the FIFA executive committee agreed to accept bribes in conjunction with the selection of South Africa as the host nation for the 2010 World Cup,” and that he “and others agreed to accept bribes and kickbacks in conjunction with the broadcast and other rights” to several Gold Cups, a regional championship in which the United States competes.

Facing up to 20 years in prison, Mr. Blazer became a cooperating witness, according to law enforcement officials, though in the redacted version of the plea hearing filed Wednesday, there were no references to Mr. Blazer’s cooperating with the government. However, law enforcement officials said that part of Mr. Blazer’s cooperation deal included secretly recording conversations.

There are at least two other cooperating witnesses in the FIFA case that suggest the kind of agreement Mr. Blazer may have struck: Daryan and Daryll Warner. They are sons of Jack Warner, the former president of Concacaf, the soccer governing body overseeing North American, Central American and the Caribbean. Mr. Blazer, a friend of Mr. Warner’s, was Concacaf’s general secretary from 1990 until 2011.

When each of the Warner sons pleaded guilty in 2013, the judge outlined their cooperation agreements with the government: They agreed to participate in undercover activities, hand over documents, regularly meet with prosecutors, testify when requested, and not divulge their cooperation to anyone without the express permission of prosecutors.

In return, prosecutors said, they would file a letter at sentencing noting each defendant’s cooperation and asking for a departure from sentencing guidelines. Prosecutors often suggest little or no prison time in return for cooperation. For Daryan Warner, prosecutors also said they would suggest he receive an S-Visa, or an informant green card.

Fifa whistleblower Chuck Blazer: I took bribes over 1998 and 2010 World Cups.
theguardian.com.

• Blazer’s plea bargain revealed by United States Department of Justice
• Blazer says he and others racketeered, took kickbacks and he avoided tax

The Fifa whistleblower Chuck Blazer has said he and others took bribes for South Africa to host the 2010 World Cup, in a testimony published by the United States Department of Justice.

Blazer, the former Concacaf general secretary and a Fifa executive committee member from 1996 to 2013, made his revelation little more than 24 hours after Sepp Blatter announced he would be standing down as Fifa’s president as the corruption crisis in world football deepened.

“I and others on the Fifa executive committee agreed to accept bribes in conjunction with the selection of South Africa as the host nation for the 2010 World Cup,” Blazer said in his testimony.

“During my association with Fifa and Concacaf, among other things, I and others agreed that I or a co-conspirator would commit at least two acts of racketeering activity. Among other things, I agreed with other persons in or around 1992 to facilitate the acceptance of a bribe in conjunction with the selection of the host nation for the 1998 World Cup.

“Beginning in or about 1993 and continuing through the early 2000s, I and others agreed to accept bribes and kickbacks in conjunction with the broadcast and other rights to the 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002 and 2003 Gold Cups. Beginning in or around 2004 and continuing through 2011, I and others on the Fifa executive committee agreed to accept bribes in conjunction with the selection of South Africa as the host nation for the 2010 World Cup. Among other things, my actions above had common participants and results.

“Between April of 2004 and May 2011, I and others who were fiduciaries to both Fifa and Concacaf, in contravention of our duties, I and others, while acting in our official capacities, agreed to participate in a scheme to defraud Fifa and Concacaf to the right to honest services by taking undisclosed bribes. I and others agreed to use e-mail, telephone and a wire transfer into and out of the United States in furtherance of the scheme. Funds procured through these improper payments passed through JFK Airport in the form of a check (cheque).

“Between December 2008 and May 2011, I and others agreed to and transmitted funds by wire transfer and cheques from places within the United States to places in the Caribbean, and from places in the Caribbean to places in the United States. I agreed to and took these actions to, among other things, promote and conceal my receipt of bribes and kickbacks. I knew that the funds involved were the proceeds of an unlawful bribe, and I and others used wires, e-mails and telephone to effectuate payment of and conceal the nature of the bribe. Funds procured through these improper payments passed through JFK airport in the form of a check (cheque).

“Between 2005 and 2010, while a resident of New York, New York, I knowingly and wilfully failed to file an income tax return and failed to pay income taxes. In this way, I intentionally concealed my true income from the IRS, thereby defrauding the IRS of income tax owed. I knew that my actions were wrong at the time.”

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 03:59:07 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #380 on: June 03, 2015, 04:01:15 PM »

When each of the Warner sons pleaded guilty in 2013, the judge outlined their cooperation agreements with the government: They agreed to participate in undercover activities, hand over documents, regularly meet with prosecutors, testify when requested, and not divulge their cooperation to anyone without the express permission of prosecutors.

In return, prosecutors said, they would file a letter at sentencing noting each defendant’s cooperation and asking for a departure from sentencing guidelines. Prosecutors often suggest little or no prison time in return for cooperation. For Daryan Warner, prosecutors also said they would suggest he receive an S-Visa, or an informant green card.

Oh my...

;D

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 03, 2015, 05:52:04 PM »
The needs to be controls in place to prevent corrupt banana boat organizations such as the CFU, who ends up holding 25 votes or about 12% of FIFA votes despite 0.005% of the world's population. This 1 member 1 vote thing (regardless of size) is just poised for corruption. The current structure will always attract greedy and corrupt administrators

R45, are you kidding. If there was was no one man vote,  Concacaf would still have 1 place. After every WC, Concacaf has to be fighting to keep their 1/2 spot. The WC got expanded to 32 teams because of one country one vote. The expansion of the WC enhanced its worldwide appeal, bringing more sponsors and revenue. Before that the lion share of the wealth went to the Euros.

Term limits is part of the solution. Two friggin terms and out. The CFU needs to vote in block, and in coalition with other zones for the smaller countries to survive.

By the way, Most of us here are not supporting the status quo. We want change. But not the change to relegate us to the back of the friggin bus like some people on this site appears to be suggesting.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 06:02:57 PM by Deeks »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 03, 2015, 05:56:34 PM »

Oh my...

;D

He squealed before they say Jack Warner!!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 03, 2015, 06:08:30 PM »
The needs to be controls in place to prevent corrupt banana boat organizations such as the CFU, who ends up holding 25 votes or about 12% of FIFA votes despite 0.005% of the world's population. This 1 member 1 vote thing (regardless of size) is just poised for corruption. The current structure will always attract greedy and corrupt administrators

R45, are you kidding. If there was was no one man vote,  Concacaf would still have 1 place. After every WC, Concacaf has to be fighting to keep their 1/2 spot. The WC got expanded to 32 teams because of one country one vote. The expansion of the WC enhanced its worldwide appeal, bringing more sponsors and revenue. Before that the lion share of the wealth went to the Euros.

Term limits is part of the solution. Two friggin terms and out. The CFU needs to vote in block, and in coalition with other zones for the smaller countries to survive.

By the way, Most of us here are not supporting the status quo. We want change. But not the change to relegate us to the back of the friggin bus like some people on this site appears to be suggesting.

Hush, you only engaging in speculation... t'ings woulda criss if we had one country, one vote.  Is allyuh banana republics mashing up de dance.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 03, 2015, 07:31:04 PM »
Bakes advocate for the status quo? That's not without precedent.

The role of market woman hardly becomes you.

Let me remind you: I don't subscribe to your "divine right" to comment on "any and everything", and for the rest of us posters to tiptoe around you. As things stand, too much of that happens already.

The reality is that several of your contributions fall within the at times comfortable, at times narrow, confines of the status quo. Or, would you prefer hearing that from elan?

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 03, 2015, 08:45:38 PM »

South African sports minister says $10 million NOT a bribe

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/south-african-sports-minister-says-10-million-not-124617604--sow.html

JOHANNESBURG (AP) -- South Africa's sports minister ''categorically'' denied on Wednesday that the $10 million paid to former FIFA official Jack Warner in 2008 was a bribe for his help in securing the World Cup.

Fikile Mbalula, however, said he couldn't say what Warner did with the money, which South Africa claims was ''above board'' and meant for soccer development in the Caribbean region.

What happened to the cash is ''another story for investigators ... we don't know,'' Mbalula said. ''We can't account for that.''

Mbalula repeated the South African government's denials that the country paid bribes to win the right to host the 2010 tournament, as alleged in indictments from the U.S. Department of Justice. South Africa's government - and former president Thabo Mbeki - first denied any wrongdoing in the bid process last week.

''We therefore wish to categorically deny that our country and government have bribed anyone to win the rights for the 2010 FIFA World Cup,'' Mbalula said Wednesday at the headquarters of the South African Football Association.

The Justice Department believes that $10 million was sent by South Africa, through FIFA, to Warner in three wire transfers in 2008 as payback for him and two other then-FIFA executive committee members for backing South Africa in the 2004 vote. South Africa won the World Cup by four votes over Morocco, making the ballots of Warner and his two ''co-conspirators'' decisive.

View gallerySouth African sports minister says $10 million not …
FILE - In this June 2, 2011, file photo, suspended FIFA executive Jack Warner gestures during a news …
Mbalula characterized the $10 million as an ''above board payment'' to help the game in the Caribbean.

Mbalula also insisted that the South African government had not contradicted itself after the emergence of a leaked letter from then-South African Football Association president Molefi Oliphant in 2008 asking FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke to send the $10 million to Warner from South Africa's World Cup funds. Oliphant twice specified in the letter that the implicated Warner be in control of the money.

''The letter leaked to the media, we don't know why it was leaked in the first place because that correspondence was above board,'' Mbalula said, denying it suggested a bribe was paid. ''Criminals can explain a bribe very well. I don't know how bribes work.''

South African soccer officials, who were meant to attend the briefing, were absent. The South African Football Association had said Tuesday that former World Cup bid and organizing officials would attend, but didn't then explain why they didn't.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 03, 2015, 09:17:06 PM »
Let me remind you: I don't subscribe to your "divine right" to comment on "any and everything", and for the rest of us posters to tiptoe around you. As things stand, too much of that happens already.

The reality is that several of your contributions fall within the at times comfortable, at times narrow, confines of the status quo. Or, would you prefer hearing that from elan?

What you "subscribe to" is neither here nor there with me... as I said, the role of instigator (since you clearly didn't get the reference) does not become you.  Based on your strenuous protestations however, looks like I have to backtrack on that, 'market woman' evidently fits you like a 'T'.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 03, 2015, 09:56:50 PM »

What you "subscribe to" is neither here nor there with me... as I said, the role of instigator (since you clearly didn't get the reference) does not become you.  Based on your strenuous protestations however, looks like I have to backtrack on that, 'market woman' evidently fits you like a 'T'.

Ok, ok, ok ... doh piss yuh narcissistic pants any further. Let's call my partial agreement with R45 "instigation". Let's even pretend that you haven't advanced any comments in this thread that reflect the status quo.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 03, 2015, 10:06:40 PM »
So quick question. I read a tweet on twitter and it put England on the front burner. T&T (Warner) is the glue that holding this bacchanal together boy.

So SA send $10 million for the "program" (whatever it was called), but England had sent Becks and the whole EFA NT to T&T in an attempt to sweeten up JW. Bribery? Becks alone worth a cool $5 million, then Lamps $ Stevie G was a lil $500k each, Rooney for a $2 million......no.

Wait we have to take back a $50k from Stevie for the Hyland Spanner.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #389 on: June 04, 2015, 01:35:47 AM »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

1]; } ?>