April 18, 2024, 02:28:41 AM

Author Topic: Rastafari and dreadlocks Thread  (Read 70691 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Rastafari and dreadlocks
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2006, 07:48:59 PM »
Now from yuh opening paragraph if it is....... and tallman has alluded to this.... that there is no organised doctrine and men have to develop their own ideas.....

If each idea passed from one person to another is corrupted....then it will get watered down confused and it will essentially lack substance.

Do you agree or disagree?
I disagree because if you affiliate yuhself wit one of de mansions, you will get structured teaching.

Hence we have a setta of pseudo, wannabe mock d dreads running around bawling I and I...Bless Fadder...and these confused individuals are the same ones who are to be the "followers or recruiters" of the Rastafarian faith....so if anything goes...then yuh just leading yuhself into a state of confusion.
I eh know about no recruiters. Is not like is Jehovah Witness or Church of de Latter Day Saints.

To me is a setta jokey men who take chain up...from they partners...who in turn chaining up more people .....who all feel they is victims...that the world against them and they cyar advance theyself because they does look a certain way and the system against them.
De victim mentality have nutten tuh do wit Rastafari, dat is ah personal problem. As Peter Tosh says: "I'm a progressive man and I love progressive people."

The result is yuh have a large group of unproductive long haired people feeling sorry for theyself.
Whether is locks, baldhead, jheri-curl, fade, flat-top etc. a group like this always exists.

Just the other day they have a local reggae artiste called Prophet Benjamin who said certain things in a concert. The headline act in the concert one of the Morgan Heritage family disagreed with him and said it was not so....(I will try to find the article) ANyways it come like the Trinidadian who now start in this rasta ting telling people one thing and the Jakan who in this thing longer than he saying another...confusing the poor setta youths in the concert who looking at both of them as role models..

See how brainwashing and corruption and chupidness does start...and the young impressionable minds just taking in the nonsense.
Morgan Heritage are Twelve Tribes members and Prophet Benjamin is ah Bobo Dread, so it is not strange for them to have different opinions on an issue. I am going to take a guess and say the issue probably had to do with growing locks. When Morgan Heritage came out wit de chune "Don't Haffi Dread", plenty dread didn't agree wit it, but say wha, dat is de Twelve Tribes view. De leader of de Twelve Tribes of Israel, Vernon Carrington aka Prophet Gad, doh even have locks.

Prophet Gad:

Rastas are not looked at as equal opportunists in society...plain talk bad manners...... they are frowned upon.
This depends on locale. Maybe in T&T Rastafari is frowned upon, but yuh go somewhere else and den is not yuh locks, but de colour of yuh skin.

No man is an island and you cannot exist in todays world living in a vacuum, you have to interact with people out of your social group, business wise, if you travel abroad etc.
Yes, dis is true. Is jes dat some people try tuh minimize dey interaction wit certain elements of todays world

Also and this is from the inciteful responses given.....to an outsider or one who is asking questions.....Alyuh doe have much in the convincing department to gather acceptance.
A lot of times there are no simple Yes, No or one-line responses. In many instances, reading is required to gain historical and contextual insights.

I think rasta in TT is fad..

Same way it was fad to be a muslimeen member a few years ago.

Its now Rastaman time.
If by fad, yuh mean ah rise in people sporting locks, den maybe so, since you seeing it on ah day tuh day basis. But Rasta in T&T long time. De Ethiopian Orthodox Church was established in T&T since de 50s. Selassie came tuh T&T in 1966. Bobo Shanti in T&T since 1977. Twelve Tribes in T&T since 1978.
Rastamania - Sparrow 1978, (Kaiso Gone Dread, Jah Law) - Black Stalin 1979, Bald Head Rasta - Lord Nelson 1980, Ras Mas - Explainer 1981, Rasta Chick - Explainer 1983.

ALyuh doe get vex with me...I jest curious but if yuh name rasta...use my questions as an opportunity to reaffirm yuh faith in what you belive in.

If my questions castin doubt, then yuh should check yuhself and see if this thing really is your path and yuh see if yuh make the wrong decision. Then yuh will know if yuh is a real or a pseudo.

Yuh questions doh cast no doubt because I done check mehself long time. Me eh know everyting and ah doh pretend to. Ah jes like you, I am an eternal student. We jes reasoning.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 01:09:48 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goal in yuh rucc**tunse
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2006, 07:49:07 AM »
Ditto to everything Tallman jus say. Touches, the reality is amongst many of the youths today, the Natty movement is a fad thing, a sense maybe of rebelling or trying to belong. Whatever the reason, it is very hard to judge because nuff of them will come to a fuller understanding in due time, and then again, nuff men go fall off and move on to the next fad.

It kinda remind me of the mid 80's when every youth was wearing African medallions and Malcolm X hats. For nuff of us at the time, it may have originally started off as a cultural fashion statement but for many others like myself, it really was a spark to lead us deeper into the realms of scholarship and understanding and provide the groundworks for a true knowledge of self. So I have no doubts that many of the youths who you mention will surely turn out this way.

Like I said before, Rasta is not the only section of society that deals with this. This is a problem for Christianity, Judaism and Islam. Everywhere is confusion.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2006, 08:32:43 AM »
This is a wonderfull topic.  I read every single response and was able to learn so many things about rastafari and the reality of it that exists today.

I agree with Touches to say that it is a fad and that the lack of structure is as a result of the low percentage of rastas who can call themselves educated.

I know that Tallman said that if one wants to get structure, one can go to one of the mansions and get teaching.  But my question is, why does someone have to come on this forum to find out that?

I believe that less than 0.01% (doh kill meh for meh figures) of 'rastas' know the reason for they locks and what it really represents.  I think most people see it as an identification for their "blackness" or as a form of "Resistance" and i believe it should be more than just that.

It is true that there is the exception that exists (for example, de man who touches mentioned who was ah borse in maths), but the general perception of rastas in the country and by extension the world is not good. 

I, like touches, have asked many a rastafari for an explanation into what they believe and the reason for their locks and have always find myself more confused at the end.

I respect people and their belief, but until the structure of this "religion" is made as accessible as the Bible or Qur'an or bhagavad gita then it will continue to be a fad for the youths.

The only prominent Rasta (i not talking about man who just have dread) i could think of in this country is Fitzgerald Hinds and even he seems to be a ploy by manning and dem to get more votes.

We need more educated Rastas (like Tallman......lol) to come out and show that rastafari is more than just wearing Selassie I badge and walking with stick and wearing long dress.

ah love it!!

Ps: Touches, thanx for the heads up on the topic, imagine i woulda miss all this intellectual fulfillment
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goal in yuh rucc**tunse
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2006, 08:46:40 AM »
Good job dey Touches. I always feel like the youths in Tnt need a strong reasoning session as well. The Guyanese scholar, Walter Rodney used to do it all over the Caribbean and I feel like we could start his Groundings and reasoning session again.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2006, 10:47:11 AM »
I agree with Touches to say that it is a fad and that the lack of structure is as a result of the low percentage of rastas who can call themselves educated.

I know that Tallman said that if one wants to get structure, one can go to one of the mansions and get teaching.  But my question is, why does someone have to come on this forum to find out that?

The lack of a universal singular Rastafari doctrine has no correlation with the education level of the Elders and followers, but it has more to do with the absence of an authoritative voice as well as the desire to promote communal reasoning.

Yuh doh have tuh come tuh dis forum. It have endless books yuh could read, a lot of dem yuh coulda get by Uprising (Brother Resistance store in de drag mall, until it bun down), on Amazon etc. Yuh could visit de Bobo camp in Tunapuna. Yuh could visit websites such as:
Rastafari Speaks
The Nyabinghi Order
Rasta Speaks
The Earth's Most Strangest Man: The Rastafarian

De Caribbean Rastafari Organization has been hosting conferences for a number of years. De information is out there.

I believe that less than 0.01% (doh kill meh for meh figures) of 'rastas' know the reason for they locks and what it really represents.  I think most people see it as an identification for their "blackness" or as a form of "Resistance" and i believe it should be more than just that.
Ah see where yuh coming from, but Rasta doh have ah monopoly on dreadlocks. As ah matter of fact, de first setta people wit locks in T&T was probably dem Saddhus.

It is true that there is the exception that exists (for example, de man who touches mentioned who was ah borse in maths), but the general perception of rastas in the country and by extension the world is not good. 
In some places more than others. For example, I was able to go to the British Virgin Islands recently, but if I had attempted to go prior to 2003, I would have not been allowed into the country due to their Rasta Law. Fortunately the laws been revoked.

I respect people and their belief, but until the structure of this "religion" is made as accessible as the Bible or Qur'an or bhagavad gita then it will continue to be a fad for the youths.
The Bible is fundamental to Rastafari, so in dat respect it is accessible. Not everyting will fall in yuh lap.

Since there has been the repeated mention of laziness and education, this is what the Emperor had to say on those topics:

Self Help
The people themselves must come to realize their own difficulties in the development of their community and try to solve them by collective participation following an order of priority and taking their potentiality into account.

It is well known to you all that recognizing one's problems and striving hard to challenge them is a mark of an attempt at self-sufficiency. Self help in the benefits to be acquired through education, will save the individual from asking someone's assistance.

Education
A strong nation and a free nation can only base itself upon education.

In order to make life worthwhile it is also necessary to acquire other things that can only come about after the acquisition of learning. Learning and technical training must be nurtured by faith in God, reverence for the human soul, and respect for the reasoning mind.

There is no safer anchorage for our learning, our lives and our actions than that provided by divine teachings coupled with the best in human understanding. The leaders developed here should be guided by the fundamental values and the moral power which have for centuries constituted the essence of our religious teachings.

These are crucial times when nations rise against nations, tensions increase and disaster is possible at any moment. Distances are shrinking. Peace and life itself are threatened by misunderstanding and conflict. Now is the time when man's relationship to God must be the foundation for all his efforts toward enlightenment, and learning the basis for understanding cooperation and peace.

The existence of a skilled and trained manpower is an absolute necessity for the progress and development of any country. Therefore, it is the sacred duty and responsibility of students and parents to see to it that the mistakes of the past are not repeated and that time which should be devoted to the pursuit of learning is not wasted by students heedlessly, following the instigation of a few misguided troublemakers who have yet to understand the value and the true meaning of education.

The salvation of our country Ethiopia, we have repeatedly stated to you, lies primarily in education. As Ethiopia is one, all Ethiopians are also one and education is the only way to maintain the condition.

In all countries of the modern world, special competence is required to deal with the advancement of agriculture, industry, commerce and the civil service. That competence, can be secured only through the facilities provided in modern universities.

We believe that the universities today stand as the most promising hope for constructive solutions to the problems that beset the modern world, problems which prevent the peaceful cooperation of nations and which threaten the world and humanity with death and disaster.

From universities must come men, ideas, knowledge, experience, technical skills and the deep human understanding vital to fruitful relations among nations. Without these, world order for which we have so long strived, cannot be established.

A well informed public opinion is essential to the growth of political and social awareness. Only he who is informed can comment intelligently on his nation's development and only by such comments can errors be corrected and progress stimulated.

We must draw on what is valuable and meaningful in our history and tradition, merging this with the best in modern learning.

We expect from you, to whom we have given the opportunity of education in your chosen field great and productive service to our country.

If women develop in education, they can overcome the natural weakness and serve their country as men do.

It is our wish to assure the spread of education among all African People as much as among our own subjects.

A father should bequeath not only wealth but also provide proper education. Education has value when it is established in individuals of good character with respect to God. We wish that your destiny shall be embraced in an education firmly based in good character before men and respect before God.

Any who may wish to profit himself alone from the knowledge given him, rather than serve others through the knowledge he has gained from learning, is betraying knowledge and rendering it worthless.

A man's happiness is to make his brother happy, and to serve his country. Thus it is possible to justify for knowledge its high and deserved place. For knowledge is power. If it is not applied to its proper purpose, to create, let there be no doubt, it will destroy.

If we have made so many sacrifices for the education of our youth, it is because we are convinced that only through intellectual progress and education can Ethiopia come into its own and make it's just contribution to the history of the Middle East.

We believe that from truth alone is born liberty and only an educated people can consider itself as really free and master of its fate. It is only with an educated people that representative and democratic organs of government can exercise their influence for national progress.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2006, 06:11:28 PM »
Rasta Musings...part 5

Tallman,

as you are the only one providing answers lewwe reason some more........I curious nah.

Yuh ever see the lil hand sign that all these wanna be rasta flashing now...If I remember correctly from my viewing of numerous kickup...ninja does do something so when they praying.

Its the two index finger and thumb touching........What that supposed to represent? You does do that when yuh see yuh fellow Ras and dem. On one of capleton album covers it have him posing so.

Do you knock yuh chest with a fist and say Bless Fadder?

Next thing........

The Local artisites now watching plenty TV and does have a lil jokey man on stage with them when they performing.

The man who start this trend is none other than the US Rap mogul P.Diddy.....

He used to have this this fella, he personal grooming assistant Farnsworth Bently next to him in he video spinning umbrella and dancing round in he bow tie suspenders and wing tips.

Now farnsworth used to pull a 30,000US a day to lick Piddy Bamsee and dress him in he shirt and tie.....so he use antics to flip paper.

But if yuh ever look at Synergy and get a chance to see the nice low budget poor quality video that dey does be churning out...You will see within the last few months the reggae artistes in JA does have a lil man with a Ethiopia flag waving it wild wild and running up and down.

Needless to say we artistes not to be undone have they own lil Flag waver boy too....But them does have Umbrella and cane and thing prancing jokey jokey .

Maybe this lil sidekick is akin to the "crew" that does accompany rap artistes on stage but I just find is a setta unnecessary nonsense.

Also why it is the new found Ras and dem like to dress "Military" ....all d new ones like a setta army fatigues with lil badge and stripes with a tims on they foot. What war they fighting.

Also the ones who does put highlights and dye they dreads...and put all kinda lil shell and earing and thing in it. and have it in fishtail twist and thing whats yuh comment bout them......would you accept a dye dread with a bando and a woogie as one of yuh bredrins....or would you watch him ahow?

OK carry orn....

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2006, 07:35:02 PM »
Yuh ever see the lil hand sign that all these wanna be rasta flashing now...If I remember correctly from my viewing of numerous kickup...ninja does do something so when they praying.

Its the two index finger and thumb touching........What that supposed to represent? You does do that when yuh see yuh fellow Ras and dem. On one of capleton album covers it have him posing so.
Dat sign represents the Star of David aka the Seal of Solomon. H.I.M (who belongs to the Royal House  of David and is part of the Solomonic Dynasty) used to make that sign with his hands as shown below:

Do you knock yuh chest with a fist and say Bless Fadder?
I doh say "bless fadder", I may say things like: "Yes I", "Greetings", "Yes King", "Empress", "Ithren", "Sisthren", "Hail", "Dread" etc.

The Local artisites now watching plenty TV and does have a lil jokey man on stage with them when they performing.

The man who start this trend is none other than the US Rap mogul P.Diddy.....

He used to have this this fella, he personal grooming assistant Farnsworth Bently next to him in he video spinning umbrella and dancing round in he bow tie suspenders and wing tips.

Now farnsworth used to pull a 30,000US a day to lick Piddy Bamsee and dress him in he shirt and tie.....so he use antics to flip paper.

But if yuh ever look at Synergy and get a chance to see the nice low budget poor quality video that dey does be churning out...You will see within the last few months the reggae artistes in JA does have a lil man with a Ethiopia flag waving it wild wild and running up and down.

Needless to say we artistes not to be undone have they own lil Flag waver boy too....But them does have Umbrella and cane and thing prancing jokey jokey .

Maybe this lil sidekick is akin to the "crew" that does accompany rap artistes on stage but I just find is a setta unnecessary nonsense.
De first time ah notice dat was when ah was watching ah performance of Damian Marley. Me eh know what dat one is about. It could be just as you said, ah man tuh hype up de crowd. Maybe somebody else know.

Also why it is the new found Ras and dem like to dress "Military" ....all d new ones like a setta army fatigues with lil badge and stripes with a tims on they foot. What war they fighting.
De military wear has been around a long time. It probably jes making ah comeback. Among other things it represents solidarity with H.I.M who was personally on de battlefield against de Italians in de 30s and projecting a revolutionary stance (similar to how the Black Panthers had their black military-style outfits).

Also the ones who does put highlights and dye they dreads...and put all kinda lil shell and earing and thing in it. and have it in fishtail twist and thing whats yuh comment bout them......would you accept a dye dread with a bando and a woogie as one of yuh bredrins....or would you watch him ahow?
De shell is ah cowrie shell, which has a variety of uses. In ancient times it was used as money, it's used in rituals by some tribes like de Yoruba and in it's simplest form it's used as jewelry.

De dyeing of de hair and all dat kinda simmy dimmy is not fuh me, but tuh each his own.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2006, 11:06:38 PM »
Thanks for the responses Tallest.

I notice you maintain a very impartial and unbiased view in each of your answers.....yuh could dodge good.

In fact yuh dodging better than them same Bobo nutsmen on the highway  :rotfl:

But thanks for the clairifcation....I am sure this conversation has enlightened a few on the board and cleared up some misconceptions.

I would still like some more perspectives doe...I know it have plenty ras on this site who jest peeping at this thread and fraid to throw een they two cents.

I woulda also like the perspective of someone from JA or a Euro based Ras...someone not in TT who has no connection to the scene here and who doing they own thing. Done to make comparisons nah...where they learn they ting from etc.

Arghmmmm..........yeah next question.

The walking stick or Cane that they like to rock...thats style or that have religious conotations too?

What alyuh does use to keep alyuh locks clean and fresh?.....the talk bout going to the river/spring and grating some rachete/bois canoe...... come now we living in the 21st century plus is plenty Urban Rasta we have these days.  This vision yuh does see on tv of man jumping up out of water and shaking he dreads doe really happen in these times

Alyuh does go in the shower and use Clairol herbal essences like d rest of we or has some Ras devised a Natural shampoo.....if it ent come out yet...look I jest give alyuh a marketing idea.

Now I never notice this when yuh was liming around none of we, Big magician neither alyuh hair never smell...but I have some partners who Ras does VAMP....and it VAMPIN hard. Even if and when they say it clean it still have a kinda odour........and yuh not even close to them. Yuh is a good few feet away downwind and yuh getting a whiff.

When yuh ras break do you sew it back?..........I have seen men and girls....with real Ras try and twist back the hair and I have seen them take a needle and thread and "repair" a lock.

Lastly does twisting yuh hair and growing a ras give you a receding hairline or male pattern baldness.....Check Bungi as an example.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 08:58:38 AM by Touches »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2006, 08:35:23 AM »
Nice thread......I couldn't read each response word for word, but I was really impressed with Tallman's & T-seekers imparting of knowledge about the "rasta" faith.

From a non- rasta, Christian-born, but not really practicing perspective, all I can comment on is the human & social aspect (which is what I think is Touches' perspective in most of his posts)....this is my take in sum:

Religions, faiths, beliefs are all based on ideologies. Often times in life & everyday practice, there is a huge gap between ideology & realism .That's human nature. The modern day fad of rastafarianism is not an indictment on the rasta faith, nor is it an indictment on the youth who follow the fad. You may not notice it but Christianity is currently and has probably been the biggest fad for centuries, so big that almost no one dare question it.........The "fad" of rasta is just a social phenomenon like everything else that you notice:

There are countless people wearing Che Guevara T-shirts who have no real respect for left-ism, socialism & communism. (I own a Che shirt, and I for the most part endorse capitalism. I work for a corporation)

some of the most common verbal exclamations are "Jesus Christ !!!", "For Christ's sake", "God Forbid", "Lord have Mercy"........You don't need to be a devout knowledgeable Christian to utter such, so why do you need to be a devout knowledgeable rasta to say "I and I", "bless" etc...

At the end of the day, people make personal choices with their lives. The more they feel the need to justify a personal choice, is the more likely they are to find an explanation/justification that is grounded in ideology....and in the end some will be more consistent than others depending on the strength of their faith, belief & knowledge.

So just as the bombing of the WTC or the P.O.S. coup attempt in 1990 should not an indictment on islam, personal choices such as dropping out of school to sell nuts, growing a dread etc....should not be an indictment on rasta regardless of the fact that the reason for such may be grounded in some interpretation/misinterpretation of the rastafarian ideology.....
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 08:37:20 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2006, 08:56:36 AM »
Kicker...

Doe let meh start on them Che Guevarra juzzey and the youths.....

Setta damn hype...me ent know you had one too....Is to pull girls ent?

Why we never rock a Tubal Uriah Buzz Butler jersey instead.

Actually Tallman have one and wear it proud somewhere...I was meaning to give him some pips for that.

You are correct in that I am looking at the social aspect of it....I am a casual observer and I just showing the trends that I now seeing.

Now the difference between the "Christianity" Fad as you call it the "Rasta" fad....and lemme be very careful here as its religion we talking.

Is that most of our religions we grew up in them...it was placed upon us via our parents. We didnt have much of a choice and most people are of a religious persuasion because they parents have them so.

I am not doubting that there are Rasta children understanding the practices, ideology etc.existing in the world today...but they are few. In most instance Rasta is a choice....and a newfound one at that by most of the youths these days.

If yuh read the threads and responses...is when man leave they mother house they does decide to go and search for theyself. To rebel, to explore, to experiment etc.

Now nuttin wrong with that...but the situation is difficult because the info and knowledge is difficult to access. Everybody have they own version and things disjointed....(even though Tallman says otherwise point is you cannot readily get info.)

How many of the youths in TT have access to internet...how much of them actually like to or can read...and finally how many of these Rasta books are available readily for them to gather knowledge....FEW.

Look how this little thread has educated the 400 and so people who peep at it ......but of the responses only Tallman, Truthseeker and TI have put some research and facts behind it. The rest is opinion...mine included.

I feel I could start up meh own form of enlightenment too...I go see how much people I could chain up....I go devise a look for meh followers...and I go make sure they make plenty donations...I go be a Modern day Jim Jones.....Kicker yuh dey...I go give yuh a big post in the order!

;D

Tallest...question again....Lewee talk bout the herb.

What are the passages from the bible thats says it was found on King Solomons grave?

What is the purpose of the herb...is it akin to communion in Christians?

Any special method of smoking, preparation, equipment etc...any special ceremony or ritual done if yuh using this thing properly.

Not inferring that you smoke...but you might have knowledge of the subject.

The eternal student.

Touches

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2006, 09:50:17 AM »

There are countless people wearing Che Guevara T-shirts who have no real respect for left-ism, socialism & communism. (I own a Che shirt, and I for the most part endorse capitalism. I work for a corporation)

lolololol, kicker, i wearing one right now!! lol.

some of the most common verbal exclamations are "Jesus Christ !!!", "For Christ's sake", "God Forbid", "Lord have Mercy"........You don't need to be a devout knowledgeable Christian to utter such, so why do you need to be a devout knowledgeable rasta to say "I and I", "bless" etc...

excellent piont!!

ah love it!!

ps: tallman, thanx for the literature!! ah love dat too!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2006, 07:26:06 PM »
The walking stick or Cane that they like to rock...thats style or that have religious conotations too?
Just like locks, ah sure it have some ah dem who does jes coast it as ah style. Depending on de height and shape, it could be a prayer staff.

What alyuh does use to keep alyuh locks clean and fresh?.....the talk bout going to the river/spring and grating some rachete/bois canoe...... come now we living in the 21st century plus is plenty Urban Rasta we have these days.  This vision yuh does see on tv of man jumping up out of water and shaking he dreads doe really happen in these times
Depending on whey yuh living, some man does still use ratchet. I remember some years ago ah grate up some and travel wit it. Man shaking dey natty in de river and sea does still go on albeit less dan years ago. It would be more man who living in de country or in de hills.

Alyuh does go in the shower and use Clairol herbal essences like d rest of we or has some Ras devised a Natural shampoo.....if it ent come out yet...look I jest give alyuh a marketing idea.
I doh use Clairol and dem ting. I does use heavily plant-based (aloe vera, tea tree oil etc.) types of shampoo. It have natural shampoo in abundance.

Now I never notice this when yuh was liming around none of we, Big magician neither alyuh hair never smell...but I have some partners who Ras does VAMP....and it VAMPIN hard. Even if and when they say it clean it still have a kinda odour........and yuh not even close to them. Yuh is a good few feet away downwind and yuh getting a whiff.
Is ah matter of hygiene. Maybe dey jes need tuh learn tuh wash dey hair properly.

When yuh ras break do you sew it back?..........I have seen men and girls....with real Ras try and twist back the hair and I have seen them take a needle and thread and "repair" a lock.
I not on dat, I does jes keep de ones dat break orf.

Lastly does twisting yuh hair and growing a ras give you a receding hairline or male pattern baldness.....Check Bungi as an example.
Growing ah Ras naturally does not contribute to male pattern baldness. If yuh genetically proned tuh losing yuh hair, it eh matter what yuh have on yuh head, it go happen tuh some degree. However, I have read dat de constant twisting of yuh hair, braiding, hair weaves etc. can play a part in hair loss.

What are the passages from the bible thats says it was found on King Solomons grave?
As far as I know there are no passages indicating this. I know of the saying, but have no idea where it originated. Some term it "Rasta legend".

What is the purpose of the herb...is it akin to communion in Christians?
The herb has medicinal, nutritional and spiritual uses. In one instance it can be seen as similar to communion, but the similarity ends there because of its wide variety of uses.

Any special method of smoking, preparation, equipment etc...any special ceremony or ritual done if yuh using this thing properly.
Usually a prayer is said before de lighting of de chalice and it is passed from left to right. Before each person partakes of de chalice, dey say a grace.

Offline Dutchfan

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2006, 12:15:44 PM »
Dreadlocks are just cool, they look pretty, it makes u look different.

But u need to learn how to ignore all those haters, that accociate it to dirt, rastafari, peanutbutter, stank, veganism.

AND chicks love it

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2006, 05:16:05 PM »
Alright from the first response...Its discipline?

Now why you choose this method of practicing discipline?....you coulda not check girls, stop drink alchol, stop eat meat. Do yuh school work harder etc...

But ok cool...

Now I just asking questions to do two things....educate myself and be help others understand.

Now for the next question.

This setta burn down babylon, fire pon rome...burn in the fire. etc.

Before Capleton come out with he tunes and Anthony B and the rest of them what alyuh used to say?

Did your vocabulary, metaphors, and way of looking at the world emerge just a few years ago with the advent of these singers and their beliefs or alyuh just start to Bun out the chi chi, babylon etc.

Also I want to hear it from alyuh...What or who determines a real legit rasta from a fake one?

Thanks.

The eternal student Touches..

whether you grow dreds or not, ethnic people of african descent historically has faced oppression, in Trinidad the colonial influence lends many to believe you must be clean cut, anything leading or hinting to culture and roots to africa is regarded as failure and shameful. Anyone who ostrasizes a rastaman is wrong because this rastafarian religion entails the only link to african roots, it can be argued ethiopia is not where the caribbean diaspora of africans descend from but it can be said that when your roots are stripped by the very core from your existence as an african, you will familiarize yourself with something similar in nature.

With regards to none religious reasons for growing the RAS, well it is a style and a fashion statement, however many believe it to be jamaican, which they are terribly wrong wrong about. Salassie did not only go to Jamaica, he also came to Trinidad, it was more widely accepted throughout Jamaica than in Trinidad, also Salassie had a larger population to indoctrinate with the message than in Trinidad, hence more Yardmen went to the message, less in Trinidad. It only caught on afterwards but there was always a rastafarian presence, this of course caused conflict with the Christian population who were also of african descent. The conflict arose as it arose in Jamaica but many in Trinidad stuck to their christian belief.

Getting back to touches point, youths have a misconception of the dredd, like many others, it is a religious hairstyle, that should be worn by individuals who are commited to jah rastafarid. When you wear the dredd you must accept the cannotations and redicule that will come along with it, because I know true rastas and have family who are dredd and follow the edict, you cannot misrepresent the dredd in it's true form and cadre. What is needed is further education to the youths as to what the hairstyle represents and why it shouldn't be used as a fashion statement or a badjohn status symbol, which the hairstyle itself is the totally opposite of what many believe it to be.

Interesting points
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2006, 05:37:49 PM »
i havent read what preceeded i just going to anwer touches. for me.. i grow mines cause i never use to go by a barber. but now as i have it i dont want to cut it. i am a high shcool teacher in canada and no one seems to have a problem with it.
for me it had nuttin to do with attracting women. i was witht he same woman since before it moved brom corkscrew..to dreds. but women r attracted to it i will admit.
i am a designer dred. i am not rastafarian.  i am a roman catholic. but with that ebing said i think an di know thier are bald head rastas who take the religion much more seriously than dem fella with long ass bongo hair draggin and sitting ond e side ah de rd burning down babylon complaning dat de  system fighitng dem down.
 so  i think for every individual the decision is a personal one. same way liek some one who has a fro now or hair in cane row.  so dai smeh 2 cent sif i repeated anythign sorry but. i didnt wnat to be influenced
 ;D
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2006, 07:36:38 PM »
[quote AND chicks love it

Ah no...not all.  Ah have tuh admit dat ah didn't used tuh like it at all.  Maybe is all de prejudices ah grow up hearing. I had a nephew way back when (now deceased) who was a rasta. De real ting...100 percent.  I used tuh be uncomfortable around him but ah was young den.    Ah went out wid a fella dat had one (in Canada)  and I have tuh reluctantly admit too dat he look good wid his.  He was a designer dread. Ah getting more used to it and ah loosing de prejudices.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2006, 09:34:23 PM »

Ah no...not all.  Ah have tuh admit dat ah didn't used tuh like it at all.  Maybe is all de prejudices ah grow up hearing. I had a nephew way back when (now deceased) who was a rasta. De real ting...100 percent.  I used tuh be uncomfortable around him but ah was young den.    Ah went out wid a fella dat had one (in Canada)  and I have tuh reluctantly admit too dat he look good wid his.  He was a designer dread. Ah getting more used to it and ah loosing de prejudices.

dat means ah ahve ah chance cocoa ;)
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2006, 04:36:03 AM »

As long as there is life, there is hope. ;D

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2006, 10:45:34 AM »

lol dat come liek telling meh one in a million chance..lol...allyuh eh bet allyuh mess up.. :rotfl:

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2006, 12:10:46 PM »

lol dat come liek telling meh one in a million chance..lol...allyuh eh bet allyuh mess up.. :rotfl:

So yuh want tuh conduct yuh business in public here den?  OK brother..leh meh hear yuh lyrics..ah go tell yuh how much of ah chance yuh have.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2006, 08:30:16 PM »

So yuh want tuh conduct yuh business in public here den?  OK brother..leh meh hear yuh lyrics..ah go tell yuh how much of ah chance yuh have.
how every body of late claling meh out and blowing up meh spot.i feel i going on a 10 day no post vibe  :heehee: :heehee: :heehee:

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2006, 05:54:30 AM »

how every body of late claling meh out and blowing up meh spot.i feel i going on a 10 day no post vibe  :heehee: :heehee: :heehee:

:(  but that would deprive me of the joy I get in reading your posts. ;D

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2006, 02:12:38 PM »

yeah go ahead nah ;D
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2006, 08:08:05 AM »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Bobo Shanty
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2006, 05:01:31 PM »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Re: Bobo Shanty
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2006, 05:37:34 PM »
Machel Montano "tried" tur join dem but dey throw him out....cause ah he waist :-\

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2006, 05:53:33 PM »
This was a very interesting and enjoyable read. When those fellas get "blanked"  and someoen doesnt want the peanuts they are sellign they still always are very pOlite and respectful.
i would like to visit thier congress one day.
 DOES ANYONE HAVE FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE VISITING THERE...OR KNOWS OF SOMEONE WHO HAS, BEYOND THIS ARTICLE?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2006, 06:08:18 PM »
Bobo Shanti ... Bull Bay, Jamaica.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2006, 07:23:21 PM »
I never hear about this religion
http://www.trinidad-tobago.net/Article.aspx?PageId=19
Bobo Shanti is a mansion of Rastafari; been around a while now. Started by Prince Emmanuel Charles Edwards in Jamaica in de 1950s and brought to T&T in 1977.

DOES ANYONE HAVE FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE VISITING THERE...OR KNOWS OF SOMEONE WHO HAS, BEYOND THIS ARTICLE?
I haven't been to the Tunapuna congress but I have been to a Bobo tabernacle in Miami for Selassie's Earthday to chant, read scriptures, dance, listen to drumming etc. for a good 4 or 5 hours. In my experience dem brethrens are very disciplined and respectful.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2006, 09:44:21 PM »
good topic, solomons line continues to ethiopia through sheba, growing your locks is a sign of strength, i believed it to be a symbol taken from sampson for strength and power...

1]; } ?>