March 28, 2024, 01:59:20 PM

Poll

Should Stern John be playing in this world cup campaign

yes
8 (61.5%)
no
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Stern John Thread  (Read 295710 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Stern John Thread
« Reply #1710 on: September 01, 2015, 03:58:18 PM »
Former Soca Warrior, Stern John, is quite satisfied with the progress of T&T's football. John was speaking with TV6's Vinod Narwani and even discussed what he's been doing of late.
http://www.tv6tnt.com/sevenpm-news/Stern-John-on-Football-323384051.html

Always wondered what he was up to

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stern John's 26-goal season
« Reply #1711 on: September 24, 2015, 08:34:58 AM »
Stern John's 26-goal season
By Steve Sirk (ColumbusCrewSC.com)

It’s hard to believe that we will ever see anything quite like Stern John’s 1998 season ever again. On the recommendation of his cousin, Black & Gold defender/midfielder Ansil Elcock, Columbus signed 21-year-old Stern John from the second-division New Orleans Riverboat Gamblers, where he had scored 16 goals in 26 appearances in 1997.

Things started off slowly in Columbus, but after four scoreless appearances, John bagged a hat trick in a 5-1 flogging of the Miami Fusion at Ohio Stadium on April 18. He scored again the next week in a shootout loss at RFK Stadium.

A month later, on May 30, he suddenly bagged another hat trick in a 4-1 win vs. San Jose, running his goal total to seven. He scored single tallies in back to back weeks in mid-June, then added another goal in early July.

By the time Columbus hit the 20-game mark in early August, John looked like a really good find. He had scored 10 goals in 15 appearances. He had done all of his goal scoring in just six of those games, so he was perhaps a little streaky, but when he was on, he was ON.

And then the final seven weeks of the season happened. In the span of 12 games in 49 days, Stern John went off, scoring 16 goals. SIXTEEN! Streaky no more, he scored in nine of the Black & Gold’s final 12 matches. He was consistently unstoppable.

He scored two goals in a 6-1 slaughtering of New England on August 8. After a scoreless game in New Jersey, John came off the bench in the 53rd minute in the August 16 game against Kansas City. Enough time for a hat trick? Yep. John scored in the 71st, 79th, and 81st minutes to lead the Black & Gold to a 5-3 comeback win. Six days later, it was two goals in a 3-1 win vs. Tampa Bay. Seven days after that, it was two more goals in a 3-0 victory in Los Angeles. So that’s a hat trick and three braces in the span of just 21 days!

John briefly cooled down after that. He scored one paltry goal vs. the MetroStars on September 6, which ran his season total to 20, then put in 90 scoreless minutes apiece in shutout losses vs. Miami and at New England.

Then, as if he were a Rush fan, he went 2-1-1-2 in the final four games to boost his season total to 26, which was one shy of the league record held by Roy Lassiter of the 1996 Tampa Bay Mutiny. (Since equaled by Chris Wondolowski of the 2012 San Jose Earthquakes.)

When it was over, John’s season looked like this:

Hat tricks: 3
Braces: 5
Singles: 7
That’s right, if Stern John scored a goal in 1998, it was more likely than not to be followed up by at least one more goal. That’s crazy.

Here are some more splits…

First half of the season: 9
Second half of the season: 17
Home games: 20
Road games: 6

TWENTY HOME GOALS! For now, Stern John is the only player in Crew SC history to hit the 20-goal mark, and it’s crazy to think that he still would have done it even if he had sat out all 16 road games!

Kei Kamara could hit the 20-goal mark this year. He’s currently at 12 home goals and six road goals, for an overall total of 18.

Anyway, Stern John’s 1998 season was nuts. Absolutely nuts. Those final seven weeks are just off the charts. Ridiculous.

Even if you are too young to remember Stern John’s 1998 season, please applaud the heck out of that man when he’s in town for the September 26 match. What he did was legendary, and it has revealed itself to be even more so with the passage of time.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: September 24, 2015, 09:11:23 AM »
I remembered that season. The man was like Benjai said, "Phenomenal!!!" Absolutely. The only other Trini I remembered having a similar streak was Steve David(LA Aztecs) in 77.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: September 24, 2015, 10:07:23 AM »
 :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Empty barrels make the most noise

Online soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: September 24, 2015, 10:40:42 AM »
Didn't get to see much of the his '98 season but I remember he was a goal scoring machine from some the highlights I saw on the news. Ah partner of mine who played for the US and was Stern's teammate at Columbus told me Stern John was the man, he described him as incredible. De man face light up when talking bout Stern yes lol.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: September 24, 2015, 10:42:32 AM »
Debate going on about if Sebastian Giovinco is having the best season ever.
See who he is behind with a few games remaining in goals and assists per game

Most goals and assists per 90 minutes in single season

Player                 Season - Goals - Assists - G+A/90

Diego Serna         2001   15   15   1.37
Cobi Jones                 1998   19   13   1.35
Stern John                 1998   26   5   1.29
Sebastian Giovinco   2015   19   14   1.24
Robbie Keane         2013   16   11   1.23
Alex Pineda Chacon  2001   19   9   1.23
Landon Donovan         2008   20   9   1.22
Jeff Cunningham      2009   17   8   1.17
Robbie Keane         2014   19   14   1.17
Thierry Henry         2012   15   12   1.15
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: September 24, 2015, 10:51:29 AM »
Great article.
Nuff respect stern-turn-inho.
Teachable moment:
By foreign perspective phenomenal!
By several local self-loathing standards ... shittong. Yes, you heard right.
What does that say about the society? Lots of work to be done.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: September 27, 2015, 08:26:13 PM »
A few moments from Stern's 1998 season

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fDgjRP2gx84" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fDgjRP2gx84</a>

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: September 28, 2015, 07:46:20 PM »
Stern John at a function to honour the legends of the past 20 years of Columbus Crew.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: September 28, 2015, 07:51:24 PM »
Stern John at a function to honour the legends of the past 20 years of Columbus Crew.

You can see more pics on our Facebook page.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Stern Return: Supporters thrilled to meet the Columbus Crew legend
« Reply #1720 on: October 13, 2015, 11:56:16 AM »
The Stern Return: Supporters thrilled to meet the Columbus Crew legend

In the Emmy-nominated “Massive Icons” special on Time Warner Cable Sports Channel, current Crew SC midfielder Wil Trapp said this about Stern John:
“He's almost like a myth because he scored so many goals and I felt like I never really saw this guy play.”

Unless they were there in the 1990s, many Crew SC fans feel just like Trapp.

Suggested to the club by his cousin Ansil Elcock, John joined his cousin on the Crew in 1998 and scored a club record 26 goals. He followed it up with an 18-goal campaign in 1999 and then was off to England. In just 55 games in Black & Gold, John tallied 44 goals, for a ridiculous career scoring rate of 0.89 goals per 90 minutes.

John’s brief but legendary Crew career was something that had to be seen to be believed. Sometimes, even John couldn’t believe it. He scored 16 goals in the final seven weeks of the 1998 season. That’s unfathomable.

“I’ve never had a streak like that in my life,” John said Saturday morning. “At that time, I was in a zone. I didn’t know how many goals I was scoring. I just wanted to score and to do well and we were climbing the table toward the playoffs. I just wanted to score goals for the Crew, and I think a lot of the credit goes to the guys who were around me. The service I had, it was because those guys played for the strikers.”

Brian Dunseth, then of the New England Revolution, had the unenviable task of trying to mark John in those days. It didn’t go well. John’s signature move was the Stern Turn, whereby he would play with his back to goal, then whip around on a defender and fire off an accurate shot.

“It was difficult,” Dunseth said of marking John. “All he would do is put his butt in my face and then wrap his arm around me and spin me like a top. Then he’d usually score when he shot the ball. I just tried to physically hit him as hard as I could. I always remember the Stern Turn as him in a white Crew uniform with yellow stripes, and he was wearing those bright-a** red adidas cleats. I was usually on the ground after he turned me. That’s what I remember.”

And now, 16 years after he finished obliterating the Crew SC record books, and after a 14-hour journey from Port of Spain, Trinidad, Stern John stood in the hallway at the Sheraton on Capitol Square, ready to be introduced to Crew SC fans at the meet and greet. As emcee Neil Sika rattled off the 44 goals in 55 games stat, Alejandro Moreno, who scored 52 goals…in 272 MLS games… calmly declared, “That’s a LOT.”

“Yeah, that IS a lot,” Moreno said a short while later. “Certainly by MY standard. I’m the striker who doesn’t score goals, so there you go. To compare teams and eras is so very difficult, but the numbers remain and they are impressive.”

Stern’s numbers were so impressive that Crew SC fans voted his 26-goal Golden Boot campaign as the 15th-best moment in Black & Gold history, despite some of them never even seeing it happen. But now, at long last, Crew SC fans got to see Stern John in the flesh.

Rosemary Cox, who became a Crew SC fan in the 2008-2009 timeframe, was delighted to meet the man who had only existed in the legendary stories told by earlier fans of the club.

“It was terrific,” she said. “We’d always heard about Stern John, but he was before our time. To meet him face to face was awesome. The people who sit behind us have been with the Crew since day one at Ohio State and they always say, ‘Stern John! Nobody compares to Stern John!’  So to meet him in person was very exciting. He was very nice.”

The man himself was all smiles after the event.

“I met a few people at the autograph event today that were like, ‘Yeah, I heard about you, but I’ve never seen you play.’” John said. “It feels nice to have people recognize what you’ve done in your career. The fans have been brilliant for me since day one when I signed here. They supported me. Even the ones who have never seen me play, they know my stuff. The fans play a major part of soccer in this country and with the Crew, so it’s fantastic. I’m just happy to be back and be part of it.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: October 15, 2015, 04:07:40 PM »
Stern John meets Kei Kamara, the man who is chasing his record at Columbus Crew

Of all the interactions between the legends and the current squad, surely none was as anticipated as the comingling of Kei Kamara and Stern John, the only two men to score 20 goals in a single season for the Black & Gold. John scored a club-record 26 in 1998. Kamara entered that night with 21.

The two encountered each other outside the locker room as Kamara made his way into the stadium, as seen in this photo:

They then met up again inside the locker room when Berhalter introduced the legends to the team.

“The funny thing is,” Kamara said, “I told McBride, ‘Don’t worry. I’m not here to break any records’ and McBride told me, ‘Don’t talk to me! Go talk to Stern about that!’”

“I just tried to tackle him in there,” John joked at the press conference, moments after the locker room visit. “It’s great. To see a fellow footballer obviously trying to break your record is really good. I think he’s been doing really well. I wish him all the best. I hope he breaks the record.”

“That’s NOT what he said earlier,” Brad Friedel retorted to everyone’s amusement.

Two other legends weighed in on Kamara’s historic 2015 campaign during the press conference.

Brian McBride called the signing of Kamara a genius move and a perfect fit for Gregg Berhalter’s system.

“You can see just how confident he has grown,” McBride said. “It’s not just about him scoring goals. He does a lot of work. He makes some really good runs opening up parts of the field. On top of that, when you get in a rhythm scoring goals, I think he’s had an exceptional season. He’s taken his chances well.”

Alejandro Moreno played with Kamara in Houston during the first part of the 2007 season, when Kamara was in his second year as a pro.

“Seeing him now, in 2015, there is a great maturation process and personal growth you see in Kei,” Moreno said. “There were great physical abilities and attributes that were there and evident in 2007, but that didn’t always translate into results on the field. A lot of it had to do with Kei getting out of the way of himself. That maturation process is great because it allows him to display all of the things we saw and at times saw flashes, but didn’t quite go to Saturday. Now he’s taking that to Saturdays consistently.”

On this particular Saturday, Kamara would notch goal number 22. He made a near-post run to the corner of the six-yard box, and somehow, despite a poor angle and his momentum carrying him away from the goal, redirected a Federico Higuain corner kick inside the near post.

At the time Kamara scored, we were all behind the benches just before halftime, so my personal view was obscured. I looked to Stern, who had a better vantage point, and asked, “Was it Kei?”

He smiled and nodded.

“It was Kei.”

The meeting between Kamara and John was actually not their first. They had crossed paths in 2006 when Kamara was part of the Generation Adidas team that made a trip to England. John was plying his trade with Coventry City at the time.

“I’m sure he doesn’t remember that,” Kamara said. “I met him then and I was Columbus then and I had heard a lot about him. But it’s great to have this weekend and to have a few of those guys around, and to meet a player of his caliber. What he did for the club in goals is amazing. “

And now, as he chases the single-season scoring record, Kamara not only set an MLS record by scoring against his 21st MLS club, but he pulled within four goals of Stern John while Stern John himself was in the building. Talk about rising to the occasion.

Or not. Kamara said it didn’t really cross his mind in the heat of the moment. It wasn’t until he reflected afterward that he realized what a cool moment it was.

“Now that I think about it,” he said, “it’s an honor to say that I’ve scored against every club and all those guys were there. Stern John was there and I hope he approved, and I hope McBride approve of the header.”

Stern John definitely approved. Before he left the stadium at the end of the night, he said it was great to see Kamara in the midst of his historic season.

“We were just talking about football and scoring goals and stuff,” John said. “He’s doing really well. For the Crew to have a chance to do well, he needs to stay healthy. If he stays fit and healthy, I think he is going to score a lot of goals.”

John then asked how many games remained in the season. I told him Kamara had three games to score four goals to tie the record, or five to break it. He pondered the math for half a second, then rendered his judgment.

“He can make it,” John declared. “The records are made to be broken. If he breaks it, my hat’s off to him.”
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 04:15:50 PM by Tallman »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: October 15, 2015, 05:46:12 PM »
What is all this big up my countryman getting? 
Every couple lines a read is another flattering comment about Stern.
Very nice read.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1723 on: January 12, 2016, 03:00:53 AM »
John coaching at Central FC.
By Walter Alibey (GUardian).

Former national striker Stern John has been doing some coaching with Digicel T&T Pro League outfit Central FC. He started a few days ago and could be there for the rest of season.

The Guardian understands that the ex-striker who, only recently was inducted into the First Citizens Foundation Sports Hall of Fame last year, was said to have been the replacement for Ross Russell who was sacked by the Central ‘Sharks’ recently.

Yesterday, however, the club’s operation’s manager Kevin Harrison confirmed that John, has been lending his support to the team by sharing his knowledge and experience, but on a voluntary basis. John has been expectedly, working with the strikers as goalscoring has been highlighted as their weakpoint this season.

Harrison explained with John’s record and experience in goal-scoring, that he could not think about a better person he would like to have doing work on his forwards than John.

John’s decision to coach at the central club was due mainly to his close friendship with Sancho, as both represented the senior national football team for many years including 2006 where they both donned the red, white and black at the World Cup in Germany. His decision has now become particularly important as the ‘sharks’ are on the verge of finding a brand of football that they can relate to.

Harrison reminded the Guardian of a situation at English Premiership club Liverpool in the late 1970s to early 1980s where the headcoach was usually studied by his assistant coach, saying when that headcoach leaves then the assistant coach would take over.

Harrison made it clear that the system means that the team was playing according to the coach which, would have led to changes anytime a coach leaves. This is not what we want to achieve at Central FC, but rather have a style of play that suits our team. He explained the idea is to have people with past experiences in professional football to give their input with a view to creating a Central FC football style.

According to Harrison the club’s headcoach Dale Saunders, who is a qualified coach, took over from Russell in December, has been very happy with what the club has been trying to achieve. “Saunders has been doing a great job and now he is receiving assistance from John as well as the team’s managing director Brent Sancho and to be honest the players have been receptive towards it and are doing well to date,” Harrison said.

In the team’s last game on Saturday they whipped St Ann’s Rangers 3-1 and Harrison was impressed, saying the team looked very different in terms of its play, its tactics and system. The Sharks will again take the field in a mouth-watering contest against league leaders Defence Force from 9 pm at the Hasely Crawford Stadium this evening.

Harrison said it will be a crucial match for them as they look to close the gap between them and the Army Coast-Guard Combination. Contacted yesterday Sancho confirmed that John has been helping the club but is not on the team’s payroll. “He is a personal friend of mine and he has been working with the strikers as well as conducting motivational sessions with players, as we have done, in allowing people who have performed at the top of their games professionally, to do in the past,” Sancho said.

He added: “As you know the team has no style of its own and we are working hard to achieve this and continue to instill professionalism as well. What we are also trying to do is find a balance between achieving success in local football, staying in line with the structure of international football, while providing an avenue of sustained development for many young footballers in T&T.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: August 21, 2016, 01:56:55 PM »

Stern John backs Warriors to get job done vs Guatemala on September 2nd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKN1vHuq2bY&spfreload=10

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: August 22, 2016, 12:53:53 PM »
Very glad to see that experience remain in the game - a generation of youngsters will be better off for it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: September 04, 2016, 07:34:03 AM »
One of the particularly interesting passages from Keane’s autobiography, The Second Half, focuses on Trinidadian striker Stern John.

The veteran forward didn’t exactly set the world alight after Keane bought him while manager at Sunderland. John made 16 appearances in total for the Black Cats and scored five goals before being sold to Southampton, yet Keane calls him one of his “best” signings during his time as manager at the Stadium of Light.

In the book, Keane writes: “I knew he’d be a man, and he was one of the best men I’ve come across. I knew he could deal with coming up to Sunderland. I knew he wouldn’t be coming into my office with, ‘Can I have a day off next week ’cos my wife needs a scan?’ I knew I wouldn’t have to baby-sit him.

“A year or so later I was after Kenwyne Jones, and I told Stern, ‘I don’t want to sell you, but I’m trying to get Kenwyne Jones in and Southampton want you as part of the deal.’

“He said, ‘Okay, I’ll go for it.’

“He stood up and shook my hand.

“‘Thanks for everything.’

“And I went, ‘That’s why I signed you.’

“A man.

“He was brilliant.”

http://www.the42.ie/roy-keane-wants-footballers-men-boy-opinion-2941590-Sep2016/

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: September 04, 2016, 08:02:35 AM »
wow...cool... legend 14
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #1728 on: September 04, 2016, 02:15:28 PM »
One of the particularly interesting passages from Keane’s autobiography, The Second Half, focuses on Trinidadian striker Stern John.

The veteran forward didn’t exactly set the world alight after Keane bought him while manager at Sunderland. John made 16 appearances in total for the Black Cats and scored five goals before being sold to Southampton, yet Keane calls him one of his “best” signings during his time as manager at the Stadium of Light.

In the book, Keane writes: “I knew he’d be a man, and he was one of the best men I’ve come across. I knew he could deal with coming up to Sunderland. I knew he wouldn’t be coming into my office with, ‘Can I have a day off next week ’cos my wife needs a scan?’ I knew I wouldn’t have to baby-sit him.

“A year or so later I was after Kenwyne Jones, and I told Stern, ‘I don’t want to sell you, but I’m trying to get Kenwyne Jones in and Southampton want you as part of the deal.’

“He said, ‘Okay, I’ll go for it.’

“He stood up and shook my hand.

“‘Thanks for everything.’

“And I went, ‘That’s why I signed you.’

“A man.

“He was brilliant.”

http://www.the42.ie/roy-keane-wants-footballers-men-boy-opinion-2941590-Sep2016/

High friggin praise indeed.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: September 04, 2016, 03:05:18 PM »
My horse forever!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: September 05, 2016, 06:44:47 AM »
I knew he wouldn’t be coming into my office with, ‘Can I have a day off next week ’cos my wife needs a scan?’ I knew I wouldn’t have to baby-sit him.

Keane is a savage dred, I think he has a wife and 5 children, man never ask for a day off.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: September 05, 2016, 01:43:30 PM »
Nuff respect to Stern John. Only as time passes will T&T understand what we had in this man.

Proud to be T&T
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: September 05, 2016, 05:54:53 PM »
much as I was a fan of Stern. I don't see how Keene saying he's a man is recognized as something so great. I always knew he was not only a man, but our top man at the time, slump or not, so the Big famous Boss say he knew it as well, while he letting him go, and he didn't act like a child and now we all know it to be so ? oh please
Like it woulda change the price of sugar if he doth protest or was any less, or if Keene did write something different. Oh well, as the great crazy ass Roy Keene said it, ah proud    lol
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 05:58:02 PM by maxg »

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: September 05, 2016, 06:10:22 PM »
much as I was a fan of Stern. I don't see how Keene saying he's a man is recognized as something so great. I always knew he was not only a man, but our top man at the time, slump or not, so the Big famous Boss say he knew it as well, while he letting him go, and he didn't act like a child and now we all know it to be so ? oh please
Like it woulda change the price of sugar if he doth protest or was any less, or if Keene did write something different. Oh well, as the great crazy ass Roy Keene said it, ah proud    lol

Funny post Max  ;D  Respek SJ, legend  :beermug:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1734 on: September 16, 2016, 03:30:30 AM »
John humbled by Keane’s comments.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

T&T’s all-time leading goalscorer Stern John says he was humbled by the special mention made about him by Roy Keane in the former Manchester United’s autobiography. Keane’s comments were published in the British press last week as he spoke about John’s impact at Sunderland and explained how he had to let the player go for the incoming Kenwyne Jones.

“It was something I didn’t expect to be honest. Keane was always a tough number and we know there was a certain way he got on with players. But to hear him say something like this now feels good. I know when the time was coming for me to exit the club it was disappointing but I was able to still push on with my career at the time and that is what mattered most.

“My days in English football will always hold a special place in my career,” said John.

In the book, Keane described John as one of his best signings. “I knew he’d be a man, and he was one of the best men I’ve  come across. I knew he could deal with coming up to Sunderland. I knew he wouldn’t be coming into my office with, ‘Can I have a day off next week ‘cos my wife needs a scan?’ I knew I wouldn’t have to baby-sit him.

“A year or so later I was after Kenwyne Jones, and I told Stern, ‘I don’t want to sell you, but I’m trying to get Kenwyne Jones in and Southampton want you as part of the deal.”

“He said, ‘Okay, I’ll go for it. He stood up and shook my hand. Thanks for everything. And I went, ‘That’s why I signed you. A man. He was brilliant.”

« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 03:44:06 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1735 on: January 17, 2017, 03:58:01 AM »
John: T&T football in ‘shambles’
By Jelani Beckles (Newsday).

FORMER national striker Stern John says Trinidad and Tobago football is in shambles currently with the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) in search of its third national coach in less than two months.

Former coach Stephen Hart was fired on November 24 last year with the TTFA shockingly appointing the previously unknown Belgian Tom Saintfiet on December 7 to the top position.

But a month later, the Belgian has bolted after three defeats in four matches. John, this country’s all-time top scorer with 70 goals, is hopeful that the TTFA chooses the right person this time as the team gears up for the resumption of the World Cup qualifiers in March.

John, who was a member of the Soca Warriors squad which created history by reaching the 2006 World Cup in Germany, wants the coaching situation to be resolved quickly.

“I think we just need to get it sorted, it has been dragging on for a long time. I think for me it is in shambles, we are making a mess of it. Whoever we choose as the national coach we need to sort it out as soon as possible and just support him, give him 100 percent support no matter what,” the former Birmingham City forward said.

John has no preference on whether the next coach should be local or foreign with names such as Dennis Lawrence, Terry Fenwick, Russell Latapy, Stuart Charles Fevrier and Francisco Maturana being considered.

Many national players have been under fire for indiscipline of late and John is calling for the local footballers to step up to the challenge of the World Cup qualification. “The players need to have a look at themselves as well and have some personal pride and put everything behind their backs and just get on with the game,” he stressed.

John added, “I am very concerned (about the indiscipline).

This is football, I think the guys need to grow up. Like I was telling couple of my friends a couple days ago Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham they played on the same team (Manchester United) for years and they never spoke off the pitch but you have to be a professional player.

You don’t need to be friends off the field but on the field you need to work as a team and just get the job done and be a professional about it.” John is questioning whether some of the national players have the drive to succeed on the international stage.

“The players now they not that passionate about the game and they don’t really understand the importance of Trinidad and Tobago getting to another World Cup. Even for the country we seeing the mess the country is in right now, we need some kind of upliftment. The players, staff and administration need to get together and get this sorted because right now it is shambles,” he said.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: January 26, 2017, 03:41:56 PM »
Just noticing that the Kenwyne thread longer than the Stern John thread. I wonder which other threads were longer.. maybe the Hardest thread?  :D

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1737 on: March 06, 2017, 05:02:25 AM »
John says Lawrence is on track.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Stern John, assistant national football coach believes the T&T team under new coach Dennis Lawrence, is right on track ahead of the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers against Panama and Mexico on March 24th and 28th respectively.

He praised Lawrence for the work done to date and called on the public to give its full support in a drive that has the potential to see another World Cup qualification for the twin-island republic.

John, a former national goalscorer who has been an assistant coach to Dale Saunders at T&T Pro League outfit Central FC, the three-ime reigning national champion team, said both players and staff members have been working really hard with the team daily and pointed out that Lawrence has returned home with a lot of good and different ideas that will benefit the country as a whole once the players can buy into it.

“Dennis is doing a fantastic job so far. The players are really taking everything on board so far, and hopefully we can continue doing that and get a result next couple of weeks”, John said. He noted “He (Dennis) knows exactly what he wants to do with the staff and players and as long as we could get the players to buy into what he is trying to do, I think his philosophy is fantastic, so hopefully we can continue. The guys have been working extremely hard in and around the field, off the field, they have been working really hard, so hopefully we can continue.”

Lawrence’s sessions have been embraced by not only John, but other members of the coaching staff, including Stuart Charles-Fevrier, another assistant coach, as it involves briefing coaches and players on what will be done and what they intend to achieve each day.

Due to this approach John said they are always totally involved in what’s happening and also get more respect from the players.

Fevrier, the headcoach of former TT Pro L:eague champion tyeam W Connection, described the quality of the sessions as being very good and professionally run, noting that the players are all very enthusiastic.

Meanwhile, apart from the qualifiers later this month, the ‘Soca Warriors’ will face regional neighbours Barbados in an international friendly encounter on March 10 at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva where most of the players for the qualifiers will be chosen from.

According to Fevrier, “The foreign based players, a few of them, will be starting their league season from this weekend and we will definitely be keeping a close eye on them. For us now we would like to see who are the players showing the form to fit in to the national squad for the coming qualifying games. The Barbados game is one of the games we will be looking at to see who are the players that could contribute to the team for the World Cup Qualifiers, come March 24th and 28th.”

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: March 10, 2017, 07:52:37 AM »
Sad news forumites Stern's daughter passed away.

http://www.cnc3.co.tt/press-release/stern-johns-daughter-dies
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 08:13:03 AM by royal »

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: March 10, 2017, 08:53:24 AM »
Heartfelt condolences to Stern and family at this devastating time. . .

Very sad to hear. . .
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

1]; } ?>