April 26, 2024, 05:28:50 PM

Author Topic: T&T's Brown begins training with MVP.  (Read 8236 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T's Brown begins training with MVP.
« on: October 24, 2006, 07:50:11 AM »
T&T's Brown begins training with MVP.
It's up to Darrell now to do the work, says father.
By: Dania Bogle, (JA-Observer).

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - Trinidadian Darrel Brown, the 2002 World Junior champion and reigning 100-metre world junior record holder, says he hopes to overcome the injuries which have plagued him in the last few years and return to the form which saw him winning silver at the World Championships in Athletics in Paris, France, in 2003.
Brown arrived in the island three days ago to join forces with the MVP Track and Field Club and had his first official training session at UTech under the watch of coach Stephen Francis yesterday.
Brown told the Observer that he has a three-year plan.
"World Champs (Osaka, Japan) next year, then Olympics (Beijing, China) then World Champs the following year, so I came down here to see if I can improve for those three upcoming years," he said.
The 22-year-old sprinter said he hadn't been able to fulfill the promise he showed as a junior and since setting the 100-metre world junior record (10.01 seconds) in the quarter-finals in Paris because of multiple injuries.
He was forced out of the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne in March after straining a muscle in the second round of 100-metre heats. After he healed, the seven-time Carifta medallist set a season-best 10.11 seconds at Thessaloniki, Greece, in July, but injury hit again.
"After the Commonwealth Games I competed a bit on the circuit, but then my hip started acting up again, so I had to stop. I then went back and try to rehabilitate."
Coach Francis told the Observer that although injuries cannot be predicted, the MVP programme is one geared towards keeping its athletes healthy.
"We feel that our programme tend to minimise injury while training and we just have to keep everyone sound until the summer."
Brown will be training partners with current 100m world record holder Asafa Powell, and asked if he thinks Darrell could challenge Powell for the world record, Francis had this to say.
"I don't know. It depends on his ability to handle his environment," he said.
"A lot of people think he has a lot of potential."
Brown, who became the youngest athlete to medal in the 100 metres in a World Championship when he clocked 10.08 seconds for silver in the event, is positive about 2007 and said the goal is to improve on his personal best 9.99 seconds.
"Once my body cooperates and once it stays intact, I should improve. I train pretty hard," he said. "Once I can remain injury free, I'll be back to normal," he added.
The athlete also has a personal best 20.41 seconds in the 200 metres set in Port of Spain in 2001, but he says though he may dabble in the event next year, it will not be his main focus.
"I might step in one or two (200m), but not like focus that much, but hopefully I can do some," he said.
Brown had been based in Auburn, Texas, training with Bahamian Henry Rolle, but changed camps late in the summer because he felt that he had gone as far as he could under the guidance of Rolle.
His father Winston, who came to Jamaica with him to oversee the transition, said they were pleased with the move. "It's up to Darrell now to do the work," he said.
Meanwhile, Darrell will be working under management after parting ways with the John Regis-led Stellar Athletics.
"That's a long, long story," said Brown. "I just know my father and the coaches had some differences."
However, Brown's father told the Observer that Nike, who sponsors Brown, prefers that athletes they sponsor work with coaches and management in their core group. Francis said a new management team had not yet been decided upon.
"We are not certain about that, we are just looking for the best situation and afterwards you can take care of that," he said.
Brown will be room-mates with Jamaican-born British high jumper Germaine Mason. Mason, who made a switch of allegiance to Great Britain last year, returned to the Stephen Francis fold two weeks ago and has been training with MVP track club.
Mason, who was cleared by the IAAF to compete for Great Britain earlier this year, secured a bronze at the Spar European Cup in June, but failed to make the finals of the European Championships in Sweden in August.
According to Brown's father, Mason and Trinidadian will be sharing accommodation because of the high cost of housing rental in Jamaica.

Brown ... said he hadn't been able to fulfill the promise he showed as a junior and since setting the 100-metre world junior record (Photo: Karl McLarty)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 04:58:02 AM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yes we will see how good he gets burns should move also

Asafa watch yuh back
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Brown will be training partners with current 100m world record holder Asafa Powell, and asked if he thinks Darrell could challenge Powell for the world record, Francis had this to say.

"I don't know. It depends on his ability to handle his environment," he said.

"A lot of people think he has a lot of potential."

hmmm interesting would you say

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
is ah 10 sec race.anything could happen.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ok brown 9.87 net year

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
asafa safe right now...brown need some sub tens b4 he can be considered a threat.

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
qsafa obviously is way ahead of brown if as the jamaican coach said he fits in with the coach and adjusts to his teammates his age and talent mean he can rapidly improve. brown however is a unique sprinter and once the coach is able to understand him and get in his head we have a potential olympic medalist.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
The best thing about this is at least we will know.  If he can't succeed here, it will nothappen.  I am in touch with him and he says work hard no arse but he surviving.  I personally would bet money that he runs sub10 in 2007.  Multiple times.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline football prof

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
I agree, 2007 He will be in many 100m finals.

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Smoke Weeeeed, under the Jamaican Sky Light.
    • View Profile
I Wish him luck. Training out here, he might be able to become second best in the world behind
a-fast-a
Smoke and Fly

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Brown runs   plenty sub 10 yuh know burns will make his move... second best yuh neva know he may ketch asafa by 2008

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Smoke Weeeeed, under the Jamaican Sky Light.
    • View Profile
Brown runs   plenty sub 10 yuh know burns will make his move... second best yuh neva know he may ketch asafa by 2008

Yeah, and I may make the Brazilian Senior team next week.  ;D
Smoke and Fly

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Yeah, and I may make the Brazilian Senior team next week.  ;D

stay there and think asafa will be unbeatable

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2008 is a fair way away, so anything is possible by then. However, its a big uphill climb.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
de problem with injuries is dat dey never seem to go away.  And when yuh pushing yuh body hard, they likely to come back.  We have to wait and see ..
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
THAT is a concern.  If you are injured a lot when you are young, it won't suddenly get better - if you run faster and change nothig else.  Slower, well of course your body can handle that.  To me it is amazing that Asafa finished this season upright, and unhurt.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
I remember wen meh brother-in-law broke his ankle (hair line fracture) after coming off a very successful international high jumping year. It was never the same .. he lost de consistency.  I often wonder if his subconscious mind held him back from putting too much pressure on his take off leg.  Den a 3-4 years later, his ankle pushed through the ligaments and skin during a pratice jump.  Ai ya yai
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
I remember wen meh brother-in-law broke his ankle (hair line fracture) after coming off a very successful international high jumping year. It was never the same .. he lost de consistency.  I often wonder if his subconscious mind held him back from putting too much pressure on his take off leg.  Den a 3-4 years later, his ankle pushed through the ligaments and skin during a pratice jump.  Ai ya yai

Damnnn there goes my breakfast....sheeiiitttt

TrinInfinite

Yeah, and I may make the Brazilian Senior team next week. ;D

when asafa win the gold medal in the olympics, then u could talk, right now hasley crawford and ato more decorated than asafa, especially since the only caribbean man to win 100m gold in the olympics was a trini, till asafa do dat in the olympics, shut yuh mouth nah... :flamethrower:

truetrini

when asafa win the gold medal in the olympics, then u could talk, right now hasley crawford and ato more decorated than asafa, especially since the only caribbean man to win 100m gold in the olympics was a trini, till asafa do dat in the olympics, shut yuh mouth nah... :flamethrower:

Not true...Jamaican born men win it already albeit fro a different country.

TrinInfinite

Not true...Jamaican born men win it already albeit fro a different country.

you are absolutely right breds, donovan bailey is one of those men who ran with my uncle mark mckoy who was also a gold medalist, but for which country did they run for? Canada, UK, US, not jamaica boss, no jamaican sprinter in the history of ja has won a gold medal for Jamaica.... dey chose to run for other nations rather than their birth nation, thats why hasley crawford is a tt and caribbean icon bc he is the first and only caribbean man, tt man tuh win a gold medal in the 100m...

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The best thing about this is at least we will know.  If he can't succeed here, it will nothappen.  I am in touch with him and he says work hard no arse but he surviving.  I personally would bet money that he runs sub10 in 2007.  Multiple times.

Ok so it may not happen

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T's Brown begins training with MVP.
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 10:28:59 PM »
All yuh ketch me yes, I was reading not noticing the date, since its posted as though it is new - I thought this was him going back to training post surgery and I'm thinkin' great he is back already, then I read the "we have a minimal injury programme" comment from MVP and I thought uh wait a sec they are injured more than anyone else.

Then I realized this is from 2 years ago. Shit.

All the best to Darrel in his comeback. At this point I don't even want to be right anymore about my doubts injury-wise with him year in and year out, I want this young talent from our shores to at least have some decent sub ten credentials when it's all said and done.
BORN TO DO IT

1]; } ?>