March 28, 2024, 03:57:55 PM

Author Topic: United Petrotrin are new Toyota Cup champs.  (Read 3742 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
United Petrotrin are new Toyota Cup champs.
« on: November 05, 2006, 06:01:07 AM »
Petrotrin dominate in Classic.
By: Ian Prescott (Express).
[/size]

"They dominated the game from the start and they deserved to win."
Anthony Streete, coach of Superstar Rangers, was forthright with his comments, disappointed with his team's showing, and super-critical of the efforts of his players in the first half.
"They played better than Rangers. Petrotrin was the better team on the night and deserved to win," he reiterated. After two editions of the competition, only South teams have won the Toyota Classic Trophy.
United Petrotrin's 4-0 victory over Rangers on Friday night at Marabella's Manny Ramjohn Stadium earned them the $30,000 first prize, the Toyota Classic Trophy, and a place alongside Vibe CT 105 W Connection as tournament winners.
Not that Petrotrin produced anything close to breathtaking football, but in an exercise of clinical finishing, they were flawless.
Striker Beville Joseph gave the "Oil Squad" a 13th minute lead, swooping on sloppy defending from stopper Corneal Thomas and looping a header over the lazy effort of Shurland Awai, the Rangers goalkeeper. First blood drew a big roar from the South crowd. Streete said the first goal was a critical blow to his team.
"We were playing well until the first goal," he said. "It broke our rhythm. We were never able to recover from that in the first half."
Before Rangers could rally, Sylvester Teesdale headed in the first of a hat-trick in the 22nd minute, making the score 2-0 in Petrotrin's favour. Given too much room, the little man leapt well to meet Anthony Rougier's free-kick with a crisp header into the goal. And on the stroke of half-time, he had Petrotrin comfortably placed at 3-0 when sliding in a low shot from close-up. Although Teesdale looked well off-side when he collected the ball, referee Lee Davis saw nothing wrong in allowing the goal.
Despite being pinned for most of the second half in their own penalty area, Petrotrin got a fourth goal against the run of play. Teesdale converted their only chance of the half when angling a downward header to complete the rout in the 85th minute. Teesdale’s first and last goals were greatly assisted by national under-20 player and Tobagonian Keon Daniel.
Afterwards, Petrotrin coach Brian Williams said having worked on goal-scoring all season and still struggling to get goals regularly, it all came together for his team on the night.
"It is a great victory for the team. I asked the players to have a more serious approach to what they were doing on the field and they did," said Williams, who heaped special praise on his defenders, particularly young goalkeeper Tristan Charles, who had an outstanding second half in which he consistently kept Rangers out and was afterwards named Man of the Match.
"I knew Rangers would come hard at us in the second half, being three goals down at the half. What was important was being steady defensively. Tristan had a great game, but he had been showing that on the training field."
Except for Petrotrin's regular contribution of goals, the 2006 Toyota Classic Final was mainly an uninspiring affair, made interesting at one point by an "aspiring greyhound" who raced uninhibited across the surface, before depositing a pile of pooh in the Petrotrin penalty area.
An obvious crowd lover, the mutt was probably also making his own statement on the quality of play at that point. Pity the defender who had to put in a sliding tackle after he was done. Luckily, Rougier, known for his unwavering good character, took the matter in hand, voluntarily clearing the debris. What greater sacrifice could the Petrotrin captain make for his team. Bravo Rougier!
In the opposite camp, owner Richard Fakoory could have done with such sacrifice. The real effort from his team came in the second half when Kerwin Jemmott, the talented but quirky midfielder, woke up, spraying passes all over the field and creating several good chances for Rangers. But, digging their way out of such a big hole proved too difficult a task. Still, they tried.
Striker Errol McFarlane Junior planted a header off an upright and also missed a couple others, while brother Shem McFarlane turned over a crossball which the United Petrotrin keeper had missed, then promptly blamed everyone but himself. Midfelder Romauld Aguillera and Don Morris also forced acrobatic stops from Petrotrin keeper Charles.
Afterwards, Fakoory was left shaking his head, a disappointed man once again. After years of investing in the St Ann's team, he has only a 1-0 win over Defence Force in the 1997 League Cup Final among his victory memories. That year, he also lost the FA Trophy Final 3-1 to United Petrotrin at the Queen's Park Oval.
"In six major finals, I have lost five," Fakoory said disappointedly. He congratulated the Petrotrin coach and vowed that Rangers will be back to try again. Earlier, in the playoff for third place, Neal & Massy Caledonia AIA edged Defence Force 4-3 on penalty kicks after the game finished at 1-1 in regulation time. Caledonia were rewarded with a goal in the 30th minute when Quincy Charles lurking at the far post met with a Shawn Bishop chip ball to expertly head home the games opening goal. Then Christian Baptiste collected a ball on the left side of the box and unleashed a wicked left footer that flew past a diving Cardona to knot up the scores at 1-1 in the 50th minute.
Down to penalties, both Balondemu Julius and Devon Jorsling missed their penalties for Defence Force and Abdallah Phillips for Caledonia AIA. On target were Christian Baptiste, Corey Rivers and Anton Joseph, for Caledonia were Sterlin Arjoon, Kareem Joseph, Shawn Bishop and Julio Ceasr De La Rosa.

2006 Toyota Classic results:

Final-

United Petrotrin 4 (Beville Joseph 13th; Sylvester Teesdale 22nd, 45th, 85th) v Superstar Rangers 0.

Third Place Playoff-

Defence Force 1 v Caledonia AIA 1.
Caledonia won 4-3 on penalty kicks.

Teams:

Superstar Rangers: - Shurland Awai; Milton Fabian Gomez, Don Morris, Corneal Thomas, Colin Roberts; Lorne Joseph, Todd Ryan (Christon Thomas 64th), Kerwyn Cooper, Kerwyn Jemmott (Ricardo Aleong 72nd); Shem McFarlane (Marlon Bowen 77th), Errol McFarlane (capt).

United Petrotrin: - Tristan Charles; Anthony Rougier (capt), Larry Bacchus, Al Sinclair, Anthony Haynes; Romauld Aguillera, Kevon Clement, Beville Joseph (Lee Haynes 79th), Sylvester Teesdale, Keon Daniel; Jerrol Forbes (Marlon Lewis 70th).

Defence Force: - Kevin Graham; Anton Pierre, Kevon Carter (Devon Jorsling), Anton Joseph, Corey Rivers; Jerwyn Belthazar, Sean Narcis, Ronald Boyce (Balondemu Julius), Dexter Pacheco; Christian Baptiste, Akil Pierre (Odelle Armstrong).

Caledonia AIA: - Jhonny Ortiz Cardona; McKenzie Caddette, Julio Ceasr De La Rosa, Shawn Bishop, Abdallah Phillips; Conrad Smith, Sterlin Arjoon, Kareem Joseph, Quincy Charles (Carlyle Mitchell), Hayden Tinto (Stephan David); Nigel Codrington (Devon Modeste).
Williams salutes players for Toyota success.
By: Vinod Narwani (ttproleague).
[/size]

United Petrotrin’s coach Brian Williams has lauded his players for clinching the Toyota Class title on Friday. The Oilmen lifted the trophy and pocketed $30,000 after whipping Superstar Rangers 4-0 in Friday’s final at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella.
"I really feel great for the team," said the soft-spoken Williams.
"I think the whole community, and south Trinidad in general, got what they deserved. The guys really worked hard, they all showed commitment and I want to thank my staff and the players and everyone that has been instrumental to the success of the team, the former strike squad player was however quick to point out, “We have to continue our work and look forward to the future."
Williams, who is also the coach of the National under-20 team acknowledged the efforts of goalkeeper Tristan Charles, who was busy between the uprights on the night.
The custodian made several crucial saves and deservedly received the MVP award.
"Our three goalkeepers have been in and out. Anyone of them could have done the job at any given point in time. This time, however, Tristan Charles has been in form and kept his place in the starting eleven and I hope he builds from there."
Williams said the team’s plan was to go on an all-out-attack since it was a knockout competition; hence the southerners kept hunting for goals in the first half.
Sylvester Teesdale, who picked up the award for most goals in the Classic, was instrumental with a hat-trick.
"We knew that in a Cup final it was important to go for it, which meant that our offensive players had to be on top of their game, and we worked on it. It worked for us in the first half where we got three goals.”
Coach Williams also took time to give credit to beaten finalists Superstar Rangers, "I also want to pay my respects to Rangers, who are a good team and wish them all the best in the Lucozade Sport Big Six. "I hope they do well since it only augurs well for T&T’s football."
At the same time, one major problem for Williams was the shots taken at goal by the opposition, which saw custodian Charles regularly in action.
Williams expressed concern in the past about his team surrendering healthy leads by conceding soft goals; hence he did not celebrate after his team beat Starworld Strikers 3-2 in the preliminary stages of the Toyota Classic, having then led 2-0 at one stage in the game.
"Rangers pushed us back in the second half and we had to be defending for the majority of that time period.
"However, Tristan Charles did his job because that’s what he is there for."
Since Petrotrin failed to qualify for the Lucozade Sport Big Six, Williams said the silverware collected on Friday was one to be cherished.
"We have to enjoy this as much as possible because one of our objectives was to be in the first five in the league, and also one of the cup finals which we actually won, so all in all it was great. The team now has to look forward to the next season," ended the United Petrotrin coach.
Tristan & Teesdale—Petrotrins’ Heroes.
By: Vinod Narwani (ttproleague).
[/size]

United Petrotrin goalkeeper Tristan Charles and striker Sylvester Teesdale proved to be United Petrotrin’s heroes in the Toyota classic final.
Tristan had no quarrels with his defence despite having a busy night against Superstar Rangers in Friday’s Toyota Classic final in Marabella.
The custodian received the ‘MVP’ award after making crucial saves in the second half, and played a big role in his team running away with the Toyota Classic title having won the encounter 4-0.
“The defence has been doing well all season, said Charles.
“They did their job in the final… every defence in every team slips up at some point in time, but they had my support. Rangers had to come with everything in the second half because they were three goals down. Fortunately for us, we coped with it and kept them out.”
The lanky goalkeeper humbly stated, “I just did my job by keeping out the few shots that came my way."
Despite being the hero of the Petrotrin side on the night, Charles did not consider his performance as being on the top of his list.
He acknowledged there was some fine-tuning to be done to make him a better goalkeeper.
“I think it was a great performance but not my best ever game. I struggled kicking the ball which is my weakness, but other than that my game is pretty strong, all-in-all, it was a good game for me.”
Charles, who has actually plays second fiddle to Petrotrin’s first call goalkeeper Perry Martin said his performance gave him the motivation to strive for better, with the hope of reaching to the top.
He admitted goalies were the unsung heroes in the sport, since the other 10 men on the field usually tend to steal the spotlight.
The Petrotrin custodian said: “Saves are what the fans like to see. Just as a player delights the crowd with goals, keepers have to bring such joy by making saves between the uprights. It makes you feel good inside, because the reaction from the crowd gives you that push to do well.”
Meanwhile, striker Sylvester Teesdale another bright light for the ‘Oilmen’ on the night was delighted after pounding three goals into the Rangers’ net and setting up his teams victory.
He felt it was a moment to cherish and was looking forward to the tasks ahead.
“It was not so much the fact that I got a hat-trick, but the fact that the team was victorious,” said Teesdale, who clinched the award for top goal scorer in the Toyota Classic.
“It was a dream that we would enter the final and pull it off, so we were confident going into the game regardless of the opponent. I have a good relationship with the players and coaching staff, and as a young player I receive good advice from our training sessions which helps me during matches.”
When asked about his future plans following his success, Teesdale ended by saying: “I hope to represent my country one day. I believe I was born to do that.”
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 05:01:08 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
Re: United Petrotrin are new Toyota Cup champs.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 07:01:45 AM »
Superstar Rangers got creamed boi lol
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 08:13:26 AM by palos »

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 10:34:16 AM »
well done Oilmen...Represent for South!!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 08:13:44 AM by palos »
Back in Trini...

Offline john_public

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 11:43:00 AM »
well done oilmen, i didn`t even know my padner playin for that side, Tristan. see me lookin at the news and hearin de man name LOL, then see him in team pose and all, well done bro. keep yu head up, and u did say afta the wc u woulda be back in de football,

all de bess, hopefull u`ll get a call up  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 08:13:58 AM by palos »

Offline Girl Warrior

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 07:45:17 AM »
Unfortunately I have to start by saying that the Petrotrin vs Rangers match was far from exciting, the quality of football these clubs play leave much to be desired. However the fact still remains that a winner emerged from the tournament... Congratulations to both Petrotrin and Rangers on their accomplishments... Petrotrin, for winning the cup and to Rangers for reaching as far as the finals on your first year back into the league.
Well done to Tristan Charles also my pick for most valuable player, he had a good game, some beautiful airborne saves also nuff respect to Teesdale on his hat-trick.
In the first half Petrotin played with a serious attack but in the second half the backline was doing more work as their game changed to a more defensive one... oh, that reminds me... Skipper Rougier had a good game also.
Although Rangers were disturbingly reactive in the first half, playmaker#11 did try hard though... yes folks yuh know I'm talking about Hardest... both in the semi finals and finals Jemmott played with some vigour. Maybe he knew that the National Coach and Ass't National Coach were looking on in the crowd.
Other than a dog doing his doo on the field there were a couple other incidents in the finals, one for instance was Rangers' coach Anthony Streete being struck with a bottle thrown by a female patron, medics had to rush and assist the poor man.
Lucozade Big 6 starting soon... can't wait

« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 11:02:37 AM by Girl Warrior »
The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall... Che Guevara

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 09:22:33 AM »
well done oil men and teesdale aka son son
all dat is necessary is necessary

1]; } ?>