April 25, 2024, 03:50:27 PM

Author Topic: Any one going to the Alumunium Symposium next month?  (Read 822 times)

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
Any one going to the Alumunium Symposium next month?
« on: November 14, 2006, 11:24:27 AM »
A symposium on the aluminium industry is to be held in Trinidad next month with a number of experts from the United States and several other countries scheduled to take part.

The symposium, organised by the South Trinidad Chamber of Industry and Commerce in collaboration with the National Energy Corporation, will be held on December 6 at Paria Suites Hotel, La Romaine.

Chamber chief executive officer Thackwray Driver said: "We have not finalised all plans as yet but we expect to get some experts from the USA and other areas."

The symposium will be open to religious groups, Government workers, businesspeople and other members of the public but priority will be give to the stakeholders, groups and schools from the southwest peninsula, Driver said.

Objective of the symposium is to provide information and to promote discussion on the development of the aluminium industry in the country as outlined by Prime Minister Patrick Manning in his recent post-Cabinet press briefing.

Proposed aluminium smelters for Chatham and La Brea have resulted in controversy that have led to public outcry from environmentalists, residents and politicians.

The chamber said in a statement it had organised the symposium because "we are recognised as an independent, non-partisan association, which has consistently upheld the highest ethical standards and which has been actively involved in issues of national development for the past 50 years".

Phoolo Danny-Maharaj South Bureau

Is any member of this forum or wn attending this meeting? Not in capacity of SW/WN member but as a concerned cititzen? I cant say or they didnt say who these"experts" are or what group they represent so it maybe just aluminium people coming to expound the virtues of the smelter industry. However at any rate it should be informative.
If any one is going please let me know. I have some questions i would like answered.
So anyoen intrinidad attending and wouldn tmind asking some questions for me..cant say on my behalf really ...let me know please.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_news?id=161051229
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 05:03:32 PM by The Polished Hoe »
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

1]; } ?>