April 18, 2024, 05:45:17 PM

Author Topic: Is It me or them ssfl players looking like midgets?  (Read 2528 times)

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Is It me or them ssfl players looking like midgets?
« on: November 19, 2006, 06:16:07 PM »
Back in the early 80's when I played college ball,I was playing against men 6ft and change,powerful,healthy looking,them boys today look like they just sit common entrance,tired looking, small,maybe is the foods we grew up on back in those days,yuh no like the yam,dasheen,dumpling,cucoo,common fowl,but in all seriousness like them boys today only eating process foods and playing to much nintendo and xbox,college ball today is a far cry from what it was 25 years ago,it has lost its luster,flair and excitement.               

Offline prodigy23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Is It me or them ssfl players looking like midgets?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 08:19:44 PM »
im kinda tired of the older guys comparing there generation...im sure the eighties had the greatest players in world. .. but come on get over it and give the youths a chance.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 10:02:31 PM »
I eh know boy Saga....when I was in form 1, I used to think that ist XI players were big strappin' men...Now I am significantly taller and bigger than some of those same guys who I thought were giants....Was our strike squad a team of giants ? not really....

The average size of the teenage baller in T&T is probably the same as it's always been..chances are youths are bigger nowadays...

In terms of quality, I think we suffer from the same illusion. T&T sec school ballers of yesteryear were probably no better than they are now. I think our exposure to higher standards of football today is much greater today, so our deficiencies are more glaring.

Back in the day, T&T was never any more of a power-house at the youth level, so to think that our young players are that much weaker than they were years back is counter-intuitive....The Latapy's & Leonson's were always the exceptions...not the norm.

What you may argue is that our football at the youth level has not evolved at the same pace as the global game...or that College's league was more passionately supported and particpated in back in the day.....and that may have had some effect on how entertaining the game was..... but I don't think speaking absolutely, that our sec school ballers today are any less capable (significantly that is) than they were in the old days

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 01:43:21 PM »
kicker makes some pertinant points especially where the physical size is concerned, how ever ,i am convinced as some one who has followed the league since 1976 that the standard has dipped remarkably ,i will just give one possible reason (though i know the thread is about size) in years gone by there was no zonal football ,the league consisted of 8 or 9 teams and all the top players in each area went to those teams ,eg south had pres,benedicts, naps and sando tech and the top south players went to those schools.today each zone has about 8 teams the league is watered down essentially many of these teams would not have been iin the champions division 20 years ago.that is just my theory.

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 01:46:50 PM »
i also taught physical education and was a sports teacher at a secondary school from 2000-2006 the physical state of many youths shock me the level of physical activity has definitely dropped ,i still feel we have enough athletic talent to have physically gifted teams.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 01:48:27 PM »

Is yuh monitor.  Adjust de resolution to 800 x 600.  
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 09:49:42 PM »

You is ah real moder rator,but ah love it,only ah trini would respond like that.............

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 10:29:26 PM »

You is ah real moder rator,but ah love it,only ah trini would respond like that.............

Jes playin man... 8) :beermug:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

1]; } ?>