April 16, 2024, 01:20:07 AM

Author Topic: Strike Squad get belated revenge.  (Read 12930 times)

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Strike Squad get belated revenge.
« on: November 19, 2006, 10:32:46 PM »
Strike Squad get belated revenge.
...whip USA 4-1 in November 19 re-match.
By: Kern De Freitas (Express).

The result may have been 17 years too late, but the modest Hasely Crawford Stadium crowd still enjoyed every moment of yesterday's rematch between Trinidad and Tobago's Strike Squad and the USA's 1989 team, which the home side won 4-1.
Philbert Jones' first half equaliser, as well as strikes from Leonson Lewis, Jerren Nixon and Angus Eve in the second period, ensured that the former national players celebrated the anniversary of a momentous occasion on a high note.
Less than a minute into the match, the USA threatened to run away with a victory yet again. Paul Caligiuri, the man who in 1989 made a nation cry with his 31st minute item, beat Michael Maurice in goal from close range to put the visitors in front before T&T had even settled into the game.
Forward Philbert Jones put the Strike Squad on even keel in the sixth, stabbing in a loose ball to the delight of the crowd, after US custodian Tony Meola plagued by the sun, punched away Marvin Faustin's initial attempt.
After that, the T&T players showed that the years had been a bit kinder to them.
Mike Windischmann battled to clear Lewis' cross in the 32nd. And the same defender scrambled to smother Hutson Charles' effort in the 41st, as the sides went to the dressing rooms locked at 1-1.
In the 58th minute, Lewis surprised Meola and his defence when he curled the ball from just outside the area low into the far post.
Four minutes later the Strike Squad were 3-1 up. Lewis collected in the 18-metre box and slipped, but Nixon raced in to blast the loose ball home.
In the 69th, Benyan Astorga chipped a freekick just over substitute T&T goalie Earl "Spiderman" Carter's crossbar. Nine minutes from time, Paul Krumpe put his freekick from the edge of the area wide.
Angus Eve sealed the issue in the 85th with T&T's fourth. Nixon, in danger of offside, aborted his pursuit of a long ball, but Faustin ran into space and whipped in a cross for Eve to fire into the net.
Carter produced a great late save to protect his near post, and T&T's 4-1 advantage.
In the end, the meeting may not have had great international significance, but it surely meant a lot to the players, who embraced after the final whistle.
At halftime, T&T Football Federation (T&TFF) president Oliver Camps was honoured for his role in administration during T&T's World Cup campaigns in 1973, 1989 and 2005. Also presented with medals were members of the squads for the 1966, 1974 and 1990 World Cup qualifiers.

T&T Strike Squad: - Michael Maurice (goalkeeper), Clayton Morris (captain), Brian Williams, Dexter Francis, Marvin Faustin, Hutson Charles, Larry Joseph, Leonson Lewis, Paul Elliot Allen, Philbert Jones, Kerry Jamerson, Earl Carter, Floyd Lawrence, Jerren Nixon, Angus Eve, Kelvin Jones, Russel Munroe, Leroy Spann.

Coach: Everald "Gally" Cummings.

USA '89: - Desmond Armstrong, Phillip Gwau, Eric Eichmann, John Stollmeyer, Steve Trittschuh, Paul Krumpe, Robin Fraser, Paul Caligiuri, Yari Allnut, Mike Erush, Tony Meola, Mike Windischmann, Jamal Thomas, Benyan Astorga.
T&T Strike Squad hits USA for four.
T&T Guardian Reports.
[/size]

T&T’s 1989 Strike Squad exacted revenge on its US conquerors for a place in World Cup Italy 1990, in a rematch of that memorable game, at the venue of 17 years ago, the Hasely Crawford Stadium, yesterday.
Paul Caliguri again had fans in pain with a strike after just 45 seconds into the match, but this time his goal was not the difference between the teams - as the homesters ran away to an impressive 4-1 victory.
Caliguri scored in the first half of the 1989 clash to deny this country a place in the World Cup finals in Italy in 1990.
Yesterday, his well struck volley silenced the small crowd, but in the fifth minute striker Philbert Jones equalised for the Strike Squad, after a shot by Marvin Faustin was parried by goalkeeper Tony Meola unto his part.
The teams went to the change rooms with the score at 1-1. However, soon after the resumption, the fitter Strike Squad took control of the match and the lead in the 57th minute, through Leonson Lewis.
In the 65th minute, the match was totally taken away from the Americans, as Jerron Nixon netted and seven minutes before the end, Augus Eve completed an emphatic win. Last night members of the Strike Squad and also members of the 1966 team that lost to Haiti were honoured at the Stadium.

Goalscorers:

T&T 4 (Philbert Jones 5, Leonson Lewis 57, Jerron Nixon 66, Angus Eve 83).

USA 1 (Paul Caliguri 1).

Teams:

T&T:[/b] - Michael Maurice, Clayton Morris, Brian Williams, Dexter Francis, Marvin Faustin, Hutson Charles, Larry Joseph, Leonson Lewis, Paul Elliot Allen, Philbert Jones, Kerry Jamerson.

Subs: Earl Carter, Floyd Lawrence, Jerron Nixon, Angus Eve, Kelvin Jones, Russell Munroe and Leroy Spann.

USA: - Tony Meola, Desmond Armstrong, Eric Eichman, John Stollmeyer, Steve Trittschuh, Paul Krumpe, Robin Frazer, Paul Caliguri, Yari Allnut, Mike Windischman.

Subs: Mike Frush, Jamal Thomas and Benayn Astorga.

Soca Warriors Online member Touches reports.

D Touches Match Observation Strike Squad vs USA.

Members of the "Strike Squad" and the USA teams greeting one another before the start of Sunday's encounter.

There's "Strike Squad" forward Philbert Jones, right, smashing his left-footed shot past Team USA goalkeeper Tony Meola. Looking on from left are Robin Frazier (USA) and Leonson Lewis (Strike Squad #11). (2006-Nov-20) ...Author: Rattan Jadoo.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 09:03:51 AM by Flex »
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Strike Squad get belated revenge
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 10:50:46 PM »
that was barely USA 89.

anyhow, nuff respect to the SS.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 10:59:04 PM »
I saw most of the squad yesterday leaving after what I assumed was a training session. Clayton Morris, Brian Williams, Dexter Francis, Marvin Faustin, Hutson Charles, Jerren Nixon, Angus Eve, Kerry Jamerson and Leonson Lewis I recognised easily. Obviously Williams wasn't a problem, but it took me about 10 minutes after they left to place a name to Francis' and Faustin's face.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 04:33:18 AM »
Anybody else besides me curious as to how Jerren Nixon get on that side?  ???

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 05:32:00 AM »
Well atleast it was nice to see uncle John... he put on ah good bit ah weight doh... (haha) well fuh ah heafty guy he could move quick.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 05:36:57 AM »
Anybody else besides me curious as to how Jerren Nixon get on that side?  ???

VB

Agreed, I doh remember him even warming bench with the SSquad, was'nt he like 15 or 16 in '89'? anyhow ah guess we allowed some leway as the Yanks had only about 6 men (in my reckoning) that was actually in their 89 squad for that game.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Strike Squad get belated revenge.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 07:56:39 AM »
Anybody else besides me curious as to how Jerren Nixon get on that side? ???

VB

I smell ah fete match >:(

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 08:00:27 AM »
What was de damn significants of this fete match ! Did the money go to helping de yutes ?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 10:36:43 AM »
He on the side since they play WIPA
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 01:51:03 PM »
i am not too sure, but i believe thre youths who gally called to train with the strike squad were anthony sherwood ,dwight yorke and jerren nixon please correct me if i am wrong .

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 05:47:51 PM »
Tallman, Flex I eh know whey in all yuh class but please confirm that Jerren Nixon was not called up for the Strike Squad. He was an under 16 in 88. I remember because is when them lose in that under 16 competition in 1988 I gave the stadium a rest.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 06:26:57 PM »
Jerron Nixon and Angus Eve was not on de Strike Squad back in the days.... how them play ? and Elliot Allen still playing like he fraid USA, 17 years later....

Like Tab Ramos and John Harkes set we up, all de shit John Harkes talk about we in Germany when he was ESPN comentator, like he figure he might ah get a few bottle and didn't bother coming.

This happens to be the biggest margin we ever beat USA in history...  :rotfl:   40 and over.....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 06:34:34 PM »
Today I tell my sister ...not a rabid football fan by any means,But was dressed all in red and cried that day .That the Strike Squad Beat the USA team ,if you see how happy and excited she was ,and all the memories came back of that day .it meant something .

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 07:25:00 PM »
Fete match, oui!

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 12:42:53 AM »
Brilliant come back wolfman  :beermug:

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 08:43:54 AM »
I glad for the fellas and them but I have a question.

How many times are we going to keep playing this game?. They finally got the result they deserved 4-1 although it's 17 yrs later so is it time to put the ghost to rest? We have honored them time and time again, I was there on Nov 19th in the crush at the gates 3 hrs prior to the game in the hot sun, sing every song played by the DJ, and cried and cussed with everyone at the end 

I would think Nov 16th is NOW the more signifcant event to occur in our lifetimes and our subsequent debut this year at the World Cup so why keep playing the Strike Squad game over and over?

Just some thing to think about.....

1]; } ?>