March 28, 2024, 02:32:00 PM

Author Topic: yuh BEST Christmas memories growing up at home......  (Read 35759 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
yuh BEST Christmas memories growing up at home......
« on: November 23, 2006, 12:30:23 AM »

No one Christmas was  like another, in those years  so long ago; 'twas a time of youthful and carefree merriment; a time to laugh ; a time to celebrate; a time to partake in special treats; a time to feel a warmth of family and  a time to cherish our wondrous blessings.

Sando : High street was littered with vendors selling apples and grapes; mangoes could not be found at this time.Stores overflowed with goods and  jammed with a shopping crowd. Xmas songs  blasted the airwaves back then; All carols which seduced us into thinking that we needed  to dream of a 'white xmas' with snow and eskimos!!

We sang the carols of frosty and he snowmen and jolly saint Nick; we played the old crooners of winter wonderland. Yes I often wonder about that paradoxical and yet intoxicating time of a youthful ignorant fella running around looking at all the Santas on the roofs of stores and thinking how the arse that fat old man in ah red suit getting in we house; we eh have no chimney!!

The  Christmas time played a blissful  array of parang songs leading up to that eventful day. .Youthful anticipation of a Santa arriving in Skinner park in a helicopter or the sight of flipping reindeers in TNT. Singing  of songs and dreaming of 'white xmas' when the soaking heat  is burning down on your head. Looking for jingle bells and a sleigh in the tropical sky at the height of xmas wondering if you were naughty or nice. Leaving a cup of goat's milk and a hop's bread by the ornate tree covered with angel hair to look like snow ; in later years  freshly sprayed in some white  stuff to look like snow, hoping that Santa would feel like home and bring yuh a damn toy.

The days leading up to Christmas was the best.  Mother would be busy putting up new curtains; the freshly painted house reeked of  assorted aromas of xmas cooking: the ham in the pitchoil can; the sponge cakes; black pudding; granddad's  piece of pig he just killed in the kitchen waiting to be cooked;  endless baking. 
 December, was my time to celebrate. Bring out the cydrax, the peardrax; grapes and apples what a treat! Ham on white hops!! chow chow!!!  The hustle and bustle around the house; the anticipation of family arriving.

Christmas eve was nerve racking.... I recalled one time hiding behind the couch  which was located under the open window. Ah know that if Santa come through ah would catch the fat old man. I fell asleep and woke up  to toys the next day. I missed that old man.

Always on Christmas night there was music. It was also a time when distant relatives  came by as if from some far off land, the music of parang late at the door woke the still of the night. Bring out the rum, the cake, the ham the sorrel the pastels... singing men , bantering  with melodious songs  accompanied by the cuatro, the mandolin, the maracas, the base  drum,  coro coro  belted above all. I remained in my youth a fascinated  stranger to all this until I joined in with bottle and spoon.

As I grew older, some  xmas eve was spent attending midnight mas just to see meh gyul friends and to sit in the back of the church in Les Effors Sando and belt out Hosanna in the highest after consuming a shared gallon of Charlie's cast wine with friends. The church bells made a merry tune on xmas day.

Oh a tropical xmas would not be forgotten: no snow; no frosty the snowman; no Rudolph red snotty nose reindeer ever came our way. Just one faked tree adorned with cards and ornaments and faked snow. The center piece of our  humble abode. Xmas meant something back then. It was a special time. There was natural joy to the world!! people were meerier at that time and gifts were cherished. Special food was a treat only savoured at that time.

'Twas a time for family visits; to receive presents to see grand parents, uncles, aunts, and cousins ; all dressed in their best attire. the family clan in their groupings. The kids  are off playing; the ladies busy cooking and the men drinking: rum , whiskey, punche cream; rum punch, anything which breath alcohol was consumed.

Ole St. Nick did not forget we in Trinidad. These were the days my friend I thought they would never end but for me  it's just a memory ah have tuh pass on to the youths today.

so bring on your  BEST memories to let the youths know of a time when yuh could leave the windows open all night long and walk the streets late after midnight mass and did not  fear for yuh life.

An original reflection.....ah waiting to hear from others..come nah leh we talk of something that has meaning for all of us and for our family.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 07:19:45 AM by AB.Trini »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: yuh BEST xmas memories growing up at home......
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 05:51:50 AM »
I feel ya comin wid much more as your post has a large empty space at the bottom of it. :o :o
  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 06:08:13 AM »
oh gorm!  christmas = garlic pork!  thank god it's not a memory    :D  and ah see Santa once.  he peek in meh bedroom door and ah ketch him.   :P
"Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority.  The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong.  All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who doubted current moral values, not of men who tried to enforce them."

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 07:25:57 AM »
Yuh that empty space is fuh part two: xmas with  real snow.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 07:34:15 AM »
what happen people eh have xmas memories tuh post?

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 07:51:12 AM »
Ham on white hops!! chow chow!!! 
yes man my mout real watering now
ham an hops, chow chow, tomato, lettuce and pepper sauce...oh gaum I hungry
we also had iced coffee   and all de usual suspects  ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 08:58:32 AM »
For me, as a child, my favourite memory is painting the tree branch my brother would pick in the hills of La Puerta and decorating it Christmas Eve with my younger sister.  We always decorated our tree Christmas Eve.  Not one day before.  My mom would be in the kitchen baking bread, black cake, sweet bread and those smells is a sure sign of Christmas.  My sister and I always got new pajamas/nightie to wear Christmas Eve night.  It was a "thing" my mother did.  I still like wearing something new to bed on Christmas Eve, although I have to admit I did not pass on that tradition to my own kids.

Ah can't fuhget red apples.  De smell of red apples is definitely a Christmas memory for me.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 11:02:58 AM »
oh gorm!  christmas = garlic pork!  thank god it's not a memory    :D  and ah see Santa once.  he peek in meh bedroom door and ah ketch him.   :P
man i wa splanning to bring that to de x mas lime that buss.
i have meh pork ind e garlic for 2 weeks now already..oh well i go make it someothe rtime
lol
my best x mas memories is the smiple things that u take for ganrted now.
hearing parang on the radio, putting away your house painting till x mas morning.
and smelling the house when moms baking de sweet bread, black cake etc..
that is the best memories
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 11:58:10 AM »
xmas for me is garlic pork and good good pepperpot (since me pops from guyana)....i eh really deal up in de ham and ting cuz i jus hooked on de garlic pork and pepperpot...nuttin better than wakin up to the smell of garlic pork
Back in Trini...

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 12:06:59 PM »
i have meh pork ind e garlic for 2 weeks now already..oh well i go make it someothe rtime
lol
hearing parang on the radio, putting away your house painting till x mas morning.

the christmas lime buss?  whappen?  Hoe yuh garlic pork soaking for 2 weeks already?  :applause:  i eh make a batch yet!  NAH - ah kyah lie, ah sweating tinking bout that bottle soaking on yuh counter.  :whew:     

triniwhiteboy yuh right!  nothing better than waking up to the smell of garlic pork!
"Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority.  The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong.  All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who doubted current moral values, not of men who tried to enforce them."

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 12:51:51 PM »
cutting yuh own christmas tree, painting it and decorating it and den putting it u in ah old KLIM tin.

playing parang, visiting frens and busing bamboo and carbide.

De pasteles and de chow chow and ham (altho i doh eat pork now).

Niceness...Listenting to "I have never seen ah white christmas..all my Christmas's have been green by wild fire.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 12:52:23 PM »
lol

the christmas lime buss?  whappen?  Hoe yuh garlic pork soaking for 2 weeks already?  :applause:  i eh make a batch yet!  NAH - ah kyah lie, ah sweating tinking bout that bottle soaking on yuh counter.  :whew:     

triniwhiteboy yuh right!  nothing better than waking up to the smell of garlic pork!
well ah ole cocopanyol gimme ah lil scerect..he tell meh to put the garlic pork to cure either in  a dark cup board or bury.like u use to do preserve sour cherries..
man does doe smake it taste so much better eh
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 02:06:53 PM »
Going to church early in de morning

going by friends and family fuh breakfast, lunch and dinner - NUFF food. Garlic pork included. Ham too - although I not a big fan.

SORREL

whole of de main road through Grande used to be lit up with lights crisscrossing de road...real nice

Christmas soca music and parang

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 02:08:52 PM »
lol

Didn't even know that it was canned!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  Anyway, one of my best memories was when I dive in ah pine tree when I was like 9 or so LOL. 
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 03:03:13 PM »
the family was eating around dinner time and current gone through  ;D
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 07:39:36 AM »
Satying up late and watching the skies  to track Santa!!!!!! then hearing  how he tie a big man in saint james  and the man cyar get away poor fella.  Listening to all the  songs about the drummer boy and the boy who walking the street with his mom and eh have no food to eat. Like carnival, this season has a special set of music and  feelings which just appeals to some in avery different way.

FAMILY...FAMILY...FAMILY...blessings blessings...blessings...

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 08:20:58 AM »
"Santa take Morvant and tie him like a big man in St James"  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 08:59:42 AM by RedHowler »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 08:26:36 AM »
Ok memories tuh hard to write for some people so leh we change it up a bit: leh we look at some of the best xmas lyrics from xmas songs and ole talk about it.

Who could forget that sorrowful song with the following lyrics:

"One xmas eve naturally I was walking down the street (repeat)

I was  attracted to the voice of a little boy as he hold his mother's hand..
..... what yuh think the conversation would be...

Listen momma ah want yuh to tell santa claus to bring a constantina and a.....fuh me

ah so lonely ah have no .....hear by ma yuh eh know how happy I would be......"

Now when ah listen tuh this song ; yuh does think this man really want tuh help out the young boy but in true Trini fashion is a'shot' the man making to get at the mother yes..... all in the spirit of giving at xmas.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 09:12:35 AM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 09:18:22 AM »
Ok memories tuh hard to write for some people so leh we change it uo a bit: leh we look at some of the best xmas lyrics from xmas songs and ole talk about it.

Who could forget that sorrowful song with the following lyrics:

"One xmas eve naturally I was walking down the street (repeat)

I was  attracted to the voice of a little boy as he hold his mother's hand..
..... what yuh think the conversation would be...

Listen momma ah want yuh to tell santa claus to bring a constantina and a.....fuh me

ah so lonely ah have no .....hear by ma yuh eh know how happy I would be......"

Now when ah listen tuh this song ; yuh does think this man really want tuh help out the young boy but in true Trini fashion is a'shot' the man making to get at the mother yes..... all in the spirit of giving at xmas.

Alright Alberta...since yuh gorn dong de music memory side...ah have one

Ah used tuh sing in Rosary Church choir when ah was ah teenager and one ah de tings ah remember doing dat was a fond memory was singing at de St. Vincent de Paul Society for the aged in POS and at the de Princess Elizabeth Home in Woodbrook.  Even in meh youth, it used tuh break meh heart tuh see dese old people and de handicapped children hide away in dese homes. 

But anyway...I have fond memories of bringing a lil cheer tuh dese people and ah miss doing dem kinda tings.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 09:30:19 AM »
cocoapanyol : Thanks for sharing this memory

" one ah de tings ah remember doing dat was a fond memory was singing at de St. Vincent de Paul Society for the aged in POS and at the de Princess Elizabeth Home in Woodbrook. Even in meh youth, it used tuh break meh heart tuh see dese old people and de handicapped children hide away in dese homes. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yuh see this resonated well with me as it  allowed me to recall a xmas when my boys were young and I took the entire family back  to Trinidad for xmas. On this eventful xmas day we all woke up and expected to open presents but instead my uncle who was president of the Lion's Club at he time,  and I took two cars packed with family and we joined the other Lion club members at that same home for the aged. We sang and danced  and presented presents; we then drove to a home for single moms and kids in POS and did the same before we  spent time opening our own presents at home. That made for an especially memorable and thoughtful experience.

P.S. gyul yuh sure we eh crossed paths b4? hahahahahahha yuh know it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 09:33:40 AM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2006, 02:47:35 PM »
One has to love the old parang classics......  here are some of the old time groups:

San Jose Seranaders

Rio Claro
Santa Theresa
Valencia National Handicraft
Rancho Quemado
San Juan Serenaders
Old Oak Serenaders
Universal

And the QUEEN: DAISY VOISIN

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2006, 03:13:20 PM »
Ah blasting the oldies today......I eh know what they saying in some ah them songs but oh lawd they bring back memories fuh so: Just being  and hearing them  all over town or Arima in the maxi taxis and  just enjoying a warm fun loving xmas in the sun!!!! dreaming of a white xmas ....never!!!!! lawd when yuh hear these , yuh does just  feel like ...gosh ah getting ah Trini tabanca. 

LAWD AH WANT TO COME HOME NOW If ah cyar do that ah have to stop listening to this record by 
"Las Estrellas":

"Tucusito"

' La Pascualidad'-----This is a bomb classic!!!!! ah remember when this was unleashed in Trinidad. Man ah was litening to Holly Bet. on radio.. gosh this song mash up the house in the sixties!!!!

'Manzanare'

"Feliz Ano"

"La Colga"
later on we go take ah look at the lyrics from the soca parangs... put yuh best soca parang in the mix now nah.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 04:08:13 PM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006, 02:03:00 PM »
homemade bread and ham on christmas eve, eggnog, homemade sorrel...waiting fuh 'santa' to pass in front meh bedroom door, meh cousins from 'town' (tunapuna) coming for holidays, packin everythin on d face ah d earth in meh lil stocking and heading by grandma to see wha under she christmas tree...

ah of course...d tea set and doll i get EVERY YEAR ( i still do )...
iNnOcEnT aNd UnInFoRmEd...

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 02:13:15 PM »
Ah blasting the oldies today......I eh know what they saying in some ah them songs but oh lawd they bring back memories fuh so: Just being  and hearing them  all over town or Arima in the maxi taxis and  just enjoying a warm fun loving xmas in the sun!!!! dreaming of a white xmas ....never!!!!! lawd when yuh hear these , yuh does just  feel like ...gosh ah getting ah Trini tabanca. 

LAWD AH WANT TO COME HOME NOW If ah cyar do that ah have to stop listening to this record by 
"Las Estrellas":

"Tucusito"

' La Pascualidad'-----This is a bomb classic!!!!! ah remember when this was unleashed in Trinidad. Man ah was litening to Holly Bet. on radio.. gosh this song mash up the house in the sixties!!!!

'Manzanare'

"Feliz Ano"

"La Colga"
later on we go take ah look at the lyrics from the soca parangs... put yuh best soca parang in the mix now nah.

Ah not ah big lover of soca parang yuh know. Ah like meh traditional parang.!!  All dem yuh name dey real sweet....

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 07:15:03 PM »
well gyul ah overdosing on the classics ah listen to soem  moder rendition of  parangs : they were not all that impressive. For example these are garbage:

"Bobullups"

"Chinese Parang"

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2006, 08:36:15 PM »
flipping memories freezing fast. Allyuh ever experience -30? that is what it was today. Look nah ah buy a plastic palm tree with lights tuh put outside in the snow; ah have speakers  attached and parang blasting in the winter wonderland outside. I eh care.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2006, 07:56:35 AM »
"Chinese Parang"
dais "sweet and sour parang" or wha ;D where to listen to dis one?
bobulups
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2006, 09:58:45 AM »
well gyul ah overdosing on the classics ah listen to soem  moder rendition of  parangs : they were not all that impressive. For example these are garbage:

"Bobullups"

"Chinese Parang"

Yuh still have all dem LPs?

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2006, 11:02:00 AM »

"Las Estrellas":

"Tucusito"

'Manzanare'

"Feliz Ano"

"La Colga"
i use to sing parang in high school with ah school group...and in primary shcool for that matter
la pascualidad was one of we favs..
u coulda real alter it and get the crown involved
especially when u go..
que rade que rade la pasqualidad (wooo)
lord dem si day days

somos caminantes tenemos que andar..etc etc
big big tune

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2006, 10:03:21 PM »
Last summer ah had a parang lime with this man in he 80's lawd the man still bealting out the tunes. We had a parang session in July in Valencia.

1]; } ?>