April 18, 2024, 08:54:05 PM

Author Topic: San Juan storm into RBTT Finals with 2-0 win over Naparima.  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
San Juan storm into RBTT Finals with 2-0 win over Naparima.
« on: November 28, 2006, 03:19:45 AM »
By: Sheldon Wood (schoolsoccernet).
[/size]

San Juan Senior Comprehensive has booked a date with Fatima College on Thursday 30th November in what could turn out to be a “dream final” in the RBTT Intercol competition. San Juan overcame a less than inspired Naparima College 2-0 thanks to a brace from one of their season’s heroes, Jonathan Romain.
Naparima College came into today’s encounter as the underdogs. Their 4-2 victory over unlucky Carapichaima was more a result of goalkeeping errors than enterprising play. San Juan on the other hand, was lethal and unforgiving against a Presentation College San Fernando team that played without the heart that helped them regain the South Zone Intercol trophy.
Naparima reverted to a traditional 4-4-2 system of play instead of their accustomed 3-5-2, a move that San Juan Coach Keith Jeffery cited as one of the reasons that ‘Naps’ seemed less effective in the middle of the field.
The game started with both teams playing a bit nervously. In as early as the 3rd minute, San Juan keeper Glenroy Samuel fumbled a Dinakah Jimdar freekick, but grabbed it on the second attempt.
San Juan should have taken the lead in the 22nd minute when a left sided corner fell at the feet of Neil Mitchell who turned and hit on the half volley, only to see his shot skim off the thigh of a ‘Naps’ defender and cannon onto the crossbar.
Anthony Guppy came close to adding to his two goals in the competition when his rocket of a shot was straight at ‘Naps’ goalkeeper Curtis Julien who could only manage to fist the ball back into play.
Just when it seemed as though the half would end goalless, San Juan talisman and skipper Elijah Manners turned two players in the middle of the field and played a beauty of a pass to Jonathon Romain on the right. Romain collected the pass, cut into the ‘Naps’ goal area and lofted the ball over an advancing Julien to score on the stroke of half time.
The second half saw Naparima come out with more purpose, but they lacked the finishing touch on some promising play which they would rue later in the game.
San Juan also created several goalscoring opportunities, but was thwarted by some fantastic reflex saves by Julien.
As the game drew on, ‘Naps’ pushed more men forward to try to get that life saving equalizer, but were undone in the 85th minute by an alert Romain, who was first to react to a San Juan right sided corner which fell to his feet after being miskicked by Neil Mitchell.
The goal was the dagger in Naparima hearts and sealed the game for San Juan.
The blast of the final whistle from the referee sparked wild celebrations by the adoring San Juan fans, as their place in the RBTT National Intercol final was confirmed.
Thursday’s final between Fatima College and San Juan will be a battle between the two most in-form teams in the competition, and will undoubtedly be a firecracker of an encounter. See you at the Hasley Crawford Stadium.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: San Juan storm into RBTT Finals with 2-0 win over Naparima.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 09:11:59 AM »
By: Sheldon Wood (schoolsoccernet).
[/size]

San Juan Senior Comprehensive has booked a date with Fatima College on Thursday 30th November in what could turn out to be a “dream final” in the RBTT Intercol competition. San Juan overcame a less than inspired Naparima College 2-0 thanks to a brace from one of their season’s heroes, Jonathan Romain.
Naparima College came into today’s encounter as the underdogs. Their 4-2 victory over unlucky Carapichaima was more a result of goalkeeping errors than enterprising play. San Juan on the other hand, was lethal and unforgiving against a Presentation College San Fernando team that played without the heart that helped them regain the South Zone Intercol trophy.
Naparima reverted to a traditional 4-4-2 system of play instead of their accustomed 3-5-2, a move that San Juan Coach Keith Jeffery cited as one of the reasons that ‘Naps’ seemed less effective in the middle of the field.
The game started with both teams playing a bit nervously. In as early as the 3rd minute, San Juan keeper Glenroy Samuel fumbled a Dinakah Jimdar freekick, but grabbed it on the second attempt.
San Juan should have taken the lead in the 22nd minute when a left sided corner fell at the feet of Neil Mitchell who turned and hit on the half volley, only to see his shot skim off the thigh of a ‘Naps’ defender and cannon onto the crossbar.
Anthony Guppy came close to adding to his two goals in the competition when his rocket of a shot was straight at ‘Naps’ goalkeeper Curtis Julien who could only manage to fist the ball back into play.
Just when it seemed as though the half would end goalless, San Juan talisman and skipper Elijah Manners turned two players in the middle of the field and played a beauty of a pass to Jonathon Romain on the right. Romain collected the pass, cut into the ‘Naps’ goal area and lofted the ball over an advancing Julien to score on the stroke of half time.
The second half saw Naparima come out with more purpose, but they lacked the finishing touch on some promising play which they would rue later in the game.
San Juan also created several goalscoring opportunities, but was thwarted by some fantastic reflex saves by Julien.
As the game drew on, ‘Naps’ pushed more men forward to try to get that life saving equalizer, but were undone in the 85th minute by an alert Romain, who was first to react to a San Juan right sided corner which fell to his feet after being miskicked by Neil Mitchell.
The goal was the dagger in Naparima hearts and sealed the game for San Juan.
The blast of the final whistle from the referee sparked wild celebrations by the adoring San Juan fans, as their place in the RBTT National Intercol final was confirmed.
Thursday’s final between Fatima College and San Juan will be a battle between the two most in-form teams in the competition, and will undoubtedly be a firecracker of an encounter. See you at the Hasley Crawford Stadium.
        I think Fatima will have to watch it,the Cat out the bag now,i told every body to be carefull,i think i'll be faxing some information to Jefery and the boys for this big game,this one is mine.

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 09:52:55 AM »
yeah, this will be a seirous battle.   I think this will be one of the most exciting finals.  Im predicting a Fatima victory but its intercol so anything can happen.  Yeah Im feeelin the intercol excitement!  its kinda scary!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 10:50:23 AM »
I think Fatima will have to watch it,the Cat out the bag now,i told every body to be carefull,i think i'll be faxing some information to Jefery and the boys for this big game,this one is mine.

Lemmeh offer yuh meh condolences from now.  Yuh is a good soldier but dah 20 year wait jes turn into 21 & countin.  ;D ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 11:04:10 AM »

Lemmeh offer yuh meh condolences from now.  Yuh is a good soldier but dah 20 year wait jes turn into 21 & countin.  ;D ;D
        Accepted but i going down fighting(old soldier),some how like we are scared of the big ones,i just think it's our time,watch out! 

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 12:27:35 PM »
21 nah that is the long time adult age. 20 nice round number
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>