April 16, 2024, 01:57:31 AM

Author Topic: Jamaica schoolboys keep Friendship Cup.  (Read 13689 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Jamaica schoolboys keep Friendship Cup.
« on: December 12, 2006, 05:21:07 AM »
Jamaica schoolboys keep Friendship Cup.
By: Roger Seepersad (Express).
[/size]

The Jamaican All-Schools' team defeated their Trinidad and Tobago counterparts 3-1 at Queen's Royal College ground yesterday, in the second leg of the 2006 Jamaica and T&T Friendship Cup, to win the series for the third consecutive year.
The first game at the Many Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella ended in a 1-1 draw on Saturday. But yesterday, the boys from Jamaica looked to be the stronger team from the start, creating some early chances in the opening 15 minutes through the effort of Richard Wilson. But after beating goalkeeper Akini Adams, his shot rebounded off the underside of the crossbar.
However, Wilson was rewarded six minutes later when he ran onto the ball and fired a vicious shot past Adams to the dismay of the T&T contingent.
T&T could not recover from this terrible start as they struggled to keep possession long enough. Their passing also let them down in the first half as T&T continued to have trouble getting through a physically imposing Jamaican midfield.
In the second half, T&T continued to have problems containing the Jamaican attack.
The pressure showed in the decisions of T&T All-Schools coach Leon Carpette, who made many substitutions before and after the half time break.
Jamaica asserted their dominance later in the second half after a period of immense pressure resulting in Robert Palmer having a shot on goal. His effort sailed past Adams to give Jamaica a 2-0 lead in the 67th minute.
Four minutes later, James Thomas made it 3-0 for the visitors when his close range shot proved too much for Adams who was eventually substituted for Jeremy Tenia.
San Juan Secondary Comprehensive's Elijah Manners rarely ventured into the other half on the uneven field at QRC, being dispossessed on almost every attempt to run past the Jamaicans.
However, his persistence paid off in the 75th minute when everything went right for the T&T boys.
Manners' shot from just inside the penalty area found its target to give T&T their lone goal.
The win gives Jamaica the Cup for the third time since it was re-introduced in 2004.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaica schoolboys keep Friendship Cup.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 10:17:44 AM »
Another set of U-17s, U-20s and Senior REGGAE BOYZ on the rise. ;D ;D :beermug: :beermug:
jjbrown

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 01:11:01 PM »
I ain't go lie, school boy footbal in Trinidad in ah mess.  The SSFL is no longer a source for prospective national youth players.  That shift has rightfully gone to the professional clubs.  In a way, that is the way to go.  That league just borrowing players for three months; they not producing sh*t.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 05:01:07 PM »
I ain't go lie, school boy footbal in Trinidad in ah mess.  The SSFL is no longer a source for prospective national youth players.  That shift has rightfully gone to the professional clubs.  In a way, that is the way to go.  That league just borrowing players for three months; they not producing sh*t.
I have to agree with you there,the school football not as good as it use to be,and the talent in them don't have any guidance to help them to persue their football careers.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 07:52:27 PM »
if u want to say the staus of football here bad ok cool...but please dont use that game as your benchmark, i really have to wonder who this game benefits and how much thought is really put into it
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 08:10:34 PM »
Not a bad result considering that the T&T team was comprised of many of the lesser known players in the SSFL.  It was good for those youths to get that exposure.  Come on guys, the T&T team was clearly not comprised of the best players in the league.  Almost all of the top players were left out. Congrats to Jamaica  though, they came with a strong team and got the job done away from home.

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 08:26:11 PM »
I see a 2-2 and a draw so far between TnT and Jamaica. The warriors won the u-17 clash 2-0 and one leg of the u-20 playoff 1-0. Jamaica won one leg of the u-20 playoff 2-0 and the second match of the friendship cup 3-1 while the first match ended 1-1. However, Jamaica had the best results when it matters most.

Hum! This second half of the years isn't very nice to TnT foot and Jamaica isn't having a great year either.  :angel:  Oh well! that works for us ;D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 08:29:59 PM by Toussaint »
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 05:15:48 AM »
I taught they were playing 3 games all together.. ?

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 07:35:24 AM »
I don't know the specifics of Jamaican school football but in Trinidad most of the kids are 16 and 17 year olds not 18 and 19 year olds that it used to be.  Let the dag on kids learn something in school, go to sixth form and develop their game and we'll beat people.  Simple....
Arimian to meh heart

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 09:02:09 AM »
I see a 2-2 and a draw so far between TnT and Jamaica. The warriors won the u-17 clash 2-0 and one leg of the u-20 playoff 1-0. Jamaica won one leg of the u-20 playoff 2-0 and the second match of the friendship cup 3-1 while the first match ended 1-1. However, Jamaica had the best results when it matters most.

Hum! This second half of the years isn't very nice to TnT foot and Jamaica isn't having a great year either.  :angel:  Oh well! that works for us ;D
Yep! Haiti is sure having a good year considering the World Cup has just ended. :devil: Come 2007 onward  all Caribbean nations should beware the REGGAE BOYZ TRAIN. Full steam ahead for the other CONCACAF teams and onward to South Africa 2010. ;D :beermug: :bringiton: :challenge: :duel: :duel: 
jjbrown

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 09:38:11 AM »
Not a bad result considering that the T&T team was comprised of many of the lesser known players in the SSFL.  It was good for those youths to get that exposure.  Come on guys, the T&T team was clearly not comprised of the best players in the league.  Almost all of the top players were left out. Congrats to Jamaica  though, they came with a strong team and got the job done away from home.

You guy sare something else. Man here writing off schoolboy football in T&T simply because your team got beaten by their Jamaican counterparts.
Unless you have only 11 good schoolboy footballers in T&T, you should be able to put out a decent 11, even if for some reasons the administrators choose not to use the absolute best players in the schoolboy league for this game (hard to understand why they wouldnt, seein gthi sis a schoolboys team and not a national team). Fact of that matter is that there is probably another 20 more schoolboy footballers in Jamaica right now who at least on the same level as the guys who played on the all-stars team...I also believe the crop of players selected were not selected from a pool of all schools, but for a pool of school in the final 4.

Just accept the fact that schoolboy football (and possibly youth football in general) in trinidad is at a slightly lower level than in Jamaica. It doesnt mean that your players are crap, or that schoolboy football should be disbanded.  Perhaps you should arrange for your all star team sto play an all schools team from antigua or St. Kitts...that way yo uwould feel gooad about your schoolboy "stars" once agaian  ;D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 10:01:41 AM by Reggaefan »

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 10:02:33 AM »
I don't know the specifics of Jamaican school football but in Trinidad most of the kids are 16 and 17 year olds not 18 and 19 year olds that it used to be.  Let the dag on kids learn something in school, go to sixth form and develop their game and we'll beat people.  Simple....

Same in Jamaica.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 10:20:34 AM »

You guy sare something else. Man here writing off schoolboy football in T&T simply because your team got beaten by their Jamaican counterparts.
Unless you have only 11 good schoolboy footballers in T&T, you should be able to put out a decent 11, even if for some reasons the administrators choose not to use the absolute best players in the schoolboy league for this game (hard to understand why they wouldnt, seein gthi sis a schoolboys team and not a national team). Fact of that matter is that there is probably another 20 more schoolboy footballers in Jamaica right now who at least on the same level as the guys who played on the all-stars team...I also believe the crop of players selected were not selected from a pool of all schools, but for a pool of school in the final 4.

Just accept the fact that schoolboy football (and possibly youth football in general) in trinidad is at a slightly lower level than in Jamaica. It doesnt mean that your players are crap, or that schoolboy football should be disbanded.  Perhaps you should arrange for your all star team sto play an all schools team from antigua or St. Kitts...that way yo uwould feel gooad about your schoolboy "stars" once agaian  ;D

I almost appreciated the point you made but the last comment was a bit cynical don't you think?

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 11:53:05 AM »
from all i have heard and seen, it looks like the standard of colleges league has declined significantly....hence the results from this game and the under 20 exit out of the qualifiers.
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 11:53:34 AM »
if u want to say the staus of football here bad ok cool...but please dont use that game as your benchmark, i really have to wonder who this game benefits and how much thought is really put into it

This game ain't no benchmark for me; I've been saying that for a whille now.  The league is not a developmental league as it used to be.  They are cramming too many games into a short space of time, and players have virtually no recovery time in between matches.  Some teams want to assemble a few weeks before the season starts, and tht ain't go work either.  Some men tht call themselves SSFL coaches, haven't the slightest clue as to how you coach young players.  Players lacking basic technical skills.  The finishing leaves a lot to be desired, and the defending and goalkeeping is atrocious.  The league needs a revamp, and the SSFL needs to realize that they are no longer the main youth football entity in the country.  

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 03:12:18 PM »
instead of putting a team together it would be better to let either San Juan or the Big five wining play the game.

it could be a good prize in terms of a tour for the wining team or bragging rights.

By trying to put a team together we are actually playing a weaker team.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 03:55:05 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the second year in a row, about four players or so have been ommitted from this "All Stars Team."

Last year it was a Fatima posse that went to Barbados with the Fatima team.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 03:56:54 PM »
lack of talent

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 05:33:52 PM »

yes probably!!  and they are 20  players now in tnt better than the players picked  plus that JA team had national team players in the mix RF but take yuh win

:rotfl:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 08:09:27 PM »
lol  ;D.....The Trinidad All star team really was not an "All-star" Team.   It was in fact a "no-star team".   So once again it was not a bad result for these guys who actually played against a ligitimit Jamaican All-star team.    I don't know what to tell the folks who think that the SSFL is crap and that the standard is really low.  I don't think one should come to that conclusion based the "no-star" team's loss to the Jamaicans.
Im sure anybody on this forum could pick at least three different sets of T&T All-star teams that would demolish the team selected for the friendship cup.  So with that in mind, doh be mad about the friendship cup results and dont start bashing the SSFL.  WHILE THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT, the league is not void of talented players and good coaches.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2006, 04:00:52 AM »
lol  ;D.....The Trinidad All star team really was not an "All-star" Team.   It was in fact a "no-star team".   So once again it was not a bad result for these guys who actually played against a ligitimit Jamaican All-star team.    I don't know what to tell the folks who think that the SSFL is crap and that the standard is really low.  I don't think one should come to that conclusion based the "no-star" team's loss to the Jamaicans.
Im sure anybody on this forum could pick at least three different sets of T&T All-star teams that would demolish the team selected for the friendship cup.  So with that in mind, doh be mad about the friendship cup results and dont start bashing the SSFL.  WHILE THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT, the league is not void of talented players and good coaches.

In other words, the T&T selectors did the opposite of what they should have done...they selected the worst players from the leagues and sent them to play the JAmaica team? Correct? Not sure how to validate your arguements though...an "all star" team is an invitation team, not neccesarily a team of teh best 11 players...

By the way, how come these games are always being played in Trinidad?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 04:56:56 AM »

Last year Jamaica hosted it......

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2006, 01:49:13 PM »

In other words, the T&T selectors did the opposite of what they should have done...they selected the worst players from the leagues and sent them to play the JAmaica team? Correct? Not sure how to validate your arguements though...an "all star" team is an invitation team, not neccesarily a team of teh best 11 players...

Nah, Im not saying that they selected the worst T&T players.  What I am saying is that they did not select a strong team.  I dont know the reason they selected this team.  However what is obvious is that no national team players were on this team and almost all of the out-standing non-national team players  were ommitted from the team.   The squad was not composed of the so called stars, hence the reason I labelled them the "no-star team".   This does not mean that the team was composed of the worst players.  The guys on the team were actually decent players but the majority of the guys selected seem to be  just average compared to the players who could have been selected.  On a more positive note, it was good exposure for all of the youngsters involved, both Trini and Jamaican.  Its also good to see that a decent level of competition exist between our caribbean nations.  People are loosing sight of the bigger picture, its about development of youth soccer in the region.  What I think is fair to say, is that a much better T&T team could have been selected and this would have contributed to a higher level of play and quality of compitition in the friendship cup.  Im definitly not taking anything away from the jamaican team, they played well and they were victorious in their efforts.   Are things a little more clear now reggae fan?

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2006, 02:06:35 PM »
lack of talent

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2006, 02:28:08 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline heete

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2006, 07:40:55 AM »
so pick ah team that should have been there nah.........dere was a screening and d best players from the screening got pick.......but the question is does d best players get pick from a screening??........the answer is NO!!!!!.....so maybe dais why d team was that way....dey didnt select the best players in the tournament from the league.....they selected the best players from screening

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2006, 07:47:23 AM »
so pick ah team that should have been there nah.........dere was a screening and d best players from the screening got pick.......but the question is does d best players get pick from a screening??........the answer is NO!!!!!.....so maybe dais why d team was that way....dey didnt select the best players in the tournament from the league.....they selected the best players from screening

an article stated  stated  players interested call so and so and show up  ..plus  the JA under 20 coach the JA team

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2006, 02:50:09 PM »

As I mentioned before, I don't know how or why the particular team was selected for the friendship cup.  What I do Know is that the national players and many of the outstanding league players were not on the team.   I have a few questions though so please answer them if you have the information (anybody).   
1) Were all of the league players including nationals, notified and invited to the screening for the all star team?  Were these players even available?
2) What was the method of notification? phone? e-mail? through school officials and coaches? (just to determine if all the players actually knew that there was a screening)
3) How many players showed up for the screening and who were these players?  Did the group include the nationals and all of the outstanding players?
4) What kind of coaching resume does the coach have?  what team does he normally coach?  How well has that team done?  What is his method of selecting the best players? 

Ok guys, I think we need to know this sort of information before we jump to conclusions or continue making harsh judgements.

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2006, 03:39:56 PM »
By the way Heete, that was a good point that you made, the best players selected from a screening is not the same as the best players selected from the league.

Offline mangoseed

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2006, 10:19:34 AM »
i heard about this screening
and i think i distinctly remember it being down south or something of that sort
and it was also on a game day
i think it was semis of intercol @ HSC
Fatima against St. Augustine

1]; } ?>