April 23, 2024, 11:01:22 AM

Author Topic: WASA takes the 2006 FA Trophy.  (Read 7009 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
WASA takes the 2006 FA Trophy.
« on: December 14, 2006, 05:19:10 PM »
WASA takes the 2006 FA Trophy.
By: Joel Villafana (ttproleague.com).
[/size]

WASA FC defied all the odds to capture their first ever FA Trophy crown on Wednesday night as they defeated North East Stars  4-2 on penalty kicks after a 3-3 extra time result in the grand final at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva.
The Super League campaigners showed all the quality of FA winners as they grabbed a third minute lead and never seemed intimidated by the higher Professional League outfit as they battled for the $40,00 first prize.
WASA goalie Douglas McNeilly, though conceding a couple soft goals in regulation time, two to headers by Guyanese Charles Pollard, turned hero for the “Water Boys” with a couple penalty.
Before that period, WASA had earlier shocked the Gally Cummings coached team with a 3rd minute goal against the run of play by Mervyn Brooks. But it was only a matter of time before North East settled and they maintained much of the possession, leaving WASA on the backfoot for long periods. But WASA’s tank never ran out.
“Winger Walter Moore had a 20 yard shot easily saved by goal keeper Mc Neilly in the 14th minute as striker Randolph Jerome and young Jesse Martinez troubled WASA’s defenders Anthony Dhandolal, Mervyn Brooks and Kien Hernandez on many occasions.
Striker Kenwin Matthew failed to capitalize on a bad pass by WASA’s Wesly Noriega in the 19th minute when he shot wide of the post from just above the penalty area.
And seconds later Marc Leslie equalized for the ‘Sangre Grande Boys’ when he blasted a volley past goal keeper Mc Neilly from Walter Moore’s crossball for a 1-1 score.
North East was close to adding another in the 22nd minute when Randolph Jerome missed by a whisker at near post.
While WASA had a couple of good buildups themselves forcing a save by goal keeper Granger in the 35th minute on one occasion when Darin Lewis and Alvris Faura combined play created the chance for Keston Thomas,” ttproleague.com wrote.
Lewis in particular, a former US-based player who only joined the WASA team less than a month ago, was the dangerman for his team with some deceptive runs. He eventually added his name to the scoresheet in the second half with a clinical finish and also struck home his penalty during the kicks.
His goal came in the 64th minute with a volley following Alvis Faura’s left side ball.
Pollard then came to North East rescue in the 74th minute heading in from close range a rebound after goal keeper Mc Neilly saved the initial attempt by Walter Moore to tie the scores at 2-2.
In extra time, substitute Vernon Bailey stepped up for a penalty kick for North East and scored the first try but had the kick reordered after a player made his way into the box before time. Second time was unlucky for Bailey as the goalie saved to the delight of the WASA fans.
They went into higher energy when Billydee Scantlebury rocketed home for a 3-2 led in the 7th minute of extra time.
But North East fought back and got their equalizer from Pollard, another header from close range.
The match progressed to kicks with WASA’s goalkeeper ending the evening as hero with a timely save to Stars’ third kick while their fourth effort came off the post.  A much deserved win for the WASA team coached by Ken Elie and celebrated by hundreds of their fans on the evening in Couva.

Penalties

North East Stars v WASA FC[/b]

Vernon Bailey (scored) / Darin Lewis (scored)
Kevin Jeffrey (scored) / Wesley Noriega (scored)
Kendall Velox (missed) / Mervyn Brooks (scored)
Marc Leslie (missed) / Billydee Scantlebury (scored)

Teams

WASA FC:
– Douglas Mc Neilly (GK), Kien Hernandez (Akil Harley 61st), Billydee Scantlebury Anthony Dhanoolal, Kevon Henry, Jesse Reyes, Alvris Faura (Dwayne Thomas 107th), Wesley Noriega, Mervyn Brooks, Darin Lewis, Keston Thomas (Adrian Nunez 68th).

North East Stars: – Curtis Granger (GK), Akeno Morgan (John Stewart 109th), Jesse Martinez (Oneke Ford, 75th), Kendall Velox, Charles Pollard, Kenwin Matthew (Vernon Bailey 62nd), Kevin Jeffrey, Howard Lowe, Randolph Jerome, Marc Leslie, Walter Moore.
Billy Dee sizzles WASA playmaker dreams big.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

Billy Dee Scantlebury limped around WASA's St Joseph Headquarters with a sheepish grin yesterday.
He still felt the effects of Wednesday's FA Trophy clash with North East Stars although he was not recovering from a rough tackle or his heavy workload.
"I injured my knee in our (goal) celebrations," Scantlebury told the Express. "I came down on it wrong and then everyone just jumped on me."
If Scantlebury's performances in WASA's historic 2006 TTFF FA Trophy conquest are any guide, he should take the trouble to rehearse his goal scoring routines. There should be more sizzling strikes to celebrate in the future.
At times, WASA striker Darin Lewis threatened to turn Wednesday's final against North East Stars into a personal exhibition with his clever dribbling and composure on the ball.
Lewis scored the Super League team's second item with a thumping volley of appreciable technique, while he also created their third goal and converted a penalty kick in the ensuing shootout.
Yet, on Wednesday, the game seemed to centre around the burly Scantlebury-for better and worse.
Stars' coach, Everald "Gally" Cummings, bemoaned the failure of his players to seize the moment as they lost in their second Cup final of the season after a defeat to Vibe CT 105 W. Connection in the FCB Cup.
"We always crack," said Cummings, of the squad he inherited three months ago. "We've been in two finals and played poorly in both. We must get crunch time players who rise to the big occasion.
"This squad is built around foreigners (seven players used on Wednesday were from Guyana, Jamaica and St Vincent) and I had to try and explain to them the significance of this trophy."
WASA coach Ken Elie did not have that problem as he regaled his players with tales of his own FA Cup triumphs as player and coach with Defence Force and Essex. But Scantlebury was particularly touched by his captain Kien Hernandez's admission that he played in one FA final. It was twenty years ago and Hernandez was just 16 when he took the field for Eagles FC.
"It made me realise that you never know when you will get another chance like this," said Scantlebury. "Of course, it helped me to work out how old Kien was too!"
Scantlebury's sense of humour and upbeat personality make him as popular with teammates as his booming right foot shots and swinging set pieces. He has talent but is yet to get the right stage to harness and exhibit it. He never represented his Alma Mata, Arima Senior Comprehensive, at school boy level while a one-year stint with Pro League outfit Caledonia AIA, three years ago, did not lead to a sustained career as a professional.
"I tried out as a striker," he said, "but I was a bit overweight and definitely too slow. I didn't fit into what they required from their strikers and it just didn't work out."
On Wednesday, Scantlebury gave further evidence as to why Caledonia coach Jamaal Shabazz-an esteemed judge of young talent-gave him a chance in the first place.
The match was just two minutes old when his powerful inswinging corner kick set off alarm bells in the Stars' defence. WASA defender Mervyn Brooks redirected Scantlebury's corner goalward with his head although Pollard nudged the effort past his own goalkeeper, Curtis Granger, for the opener.
Stars' wing back, Marc Leslie, brought the Pro League team outfit before the interval with a fine volley into the far corner. But Scantlebury again helped conjure a WASA goal in the 57th minute as the St Joseph team found striker Alvris Faure with a sweeping break and Faure's cross was emphatically dispatched by Lewis.
The lead lasted 17 minutes before a weak punched clearance by WASA's portly custodian, Douglas McNeilly, allowed Pollard to head an equaliser into an unguarded net.
And, two minutes into extra time, Scantlebury seemed to have penned an original suicide note on behalf of his teammates. Inexplicably, he left his arm raised while contesting a corner and referee Lee Davis had no choice but to award a penalty.
"I really thought that was the end of the game," said Scantlebury. "I just wanted the ground to open and swallow me up. I am accustomed to jumping and putting my arms up to protect my face but I came down and still left my arm up for some reason.
"Some of my teammates were very upset with me although (McNeilly) said 'don't worry, I have your back'."
McNeilly saved Vernon Bailey's second penalty after Davis ordered a retake due to an alleged encroachment by Stars' striker Randolph Jerome and, four minutes later, Scantlebury found redemption with a superb strike from 22 yards after good approach work by Lewis.
There were still more twists in a thoroughly entertaining final as Pollard managed another headed equaliser to send the game into penalties. It was the third time that the clubs were separated by the shootout in two seasons.
"I told my teammates that they can't beat us in three straight penalty shoot outs," said Scantlebury. "We can't be so unlucky."
Lewis, who missed in their Toyota Classic shoot out last season, scored WASA's opening kick while McNeilly denied Kendall Velox and Leslie hit the upright.
Granger got a hand to Scantlebury's effort but could deny the most decisive kick of the evening. With a first name like 'Billy Dee', Scantlebury was born for such moments and promptly wheeled away to slide on his knee in front of the television cameras.
It is a celebration that still requires practice. But the rest of Scantlebury's shift was championship material.
"I want to carry WASA to the next level and to play to the fullest of my ability," said Scantlebury, a records custodian at WASA. "I have never been as unfit as I have been this season. I almost stopped playing football and only Darin (Lewis) helped me to come to WASA and continue playing.
"Hopefully, I can use this (title) as encouragement for the future."
Next season cannot start soon enough.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 07:46:10 AM by Flex »
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: WASA takes the 2006 FA Trophy.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 08:20:42 PM »
Has Gally ever really won anything? I am just wondering.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 09:03:35 PM »
ah was looking at sports highlights on  ch3,ah see the volley Darrin Lewis score on grandy boys, de keeper int move yet .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 05:26:29 AM »
Gally sux !!!

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 07:05:45 AM »
Gally sux !!!
You guy are something else Gally had us plying the best football Trinidad has ever played we had An A team and B team in 89 the B won the Caribbean Cup it was called the Shell Cup he had a lot off young players in the Team too.

Don’t come down on the man because we qualify for the World Cup or you didn’t agree with his views on how we played he was rite we didn’t play our style off football .
We played  defense because we had to if we when out there and attack we would of gotten 5- 0 defeats everyone is entitle to there opinion he had is but one I would tell you is the people love the strike squad more than the socawarriors
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 07:07:37 AM »
Gally sux !!!

Yuh looking for cyber licks.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 07:15:51 AM »
Gally sux !!!
another poor fella who believes EVERYTHING that dat FF (Poultry Fornicator) Austin does say.

" In 1989, he also appeared ignorant of the dangers posed by his overselling of tickets on November 19 such as riots or a fire hazard. I knew that there would be questions after the game," Warner told his biographer, "but I figured that once we qualified, most of the inconveniences of the afternoon would be forgiven".
"But the administrator boasted that he did everything but "put on my gear and score the goals myself" and blamed the 1-0 loss on coach, Cummings."
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=21716.msg230687#msg230687
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 07:29:10 AM by RedHowler »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 07:52:38 AM »
Bally, Gally had us playing the best football Trinidad has ever played !!!! thats a joke...

Didn't we play the best football Trinidad has ever played when we qualified for the world cup under Beenhakker..

Gally never accomplished anything. We almost made it to the world cup in 1989 and that was it, nothing came out of Gally since.

He tried with school teams and now clubs teams and nil !!!!! I dont care how good you make us play but if you fail to accomplish anything then you wasting time. Gally also had a team together all the time because they were based home, the Strike Squad players were also very passionate and that helped his caused.

Respect to him back in the days, but the game has out grown him (same for Bertille). He never educated himself to go with the times. This is not 1989. Time has changed and so did the game and players and as a coach you have to also improve yourself.

The problem is, local coaches does not spend the time and money to better themselves. They stay stagnant. One level !!!!

Like it or not, but its the truth.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 08:13:53 AM by Sando »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 08:20:46 AM »
big up to the small team!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 09:24:00 AM »
Didn't we play the best football Trinidad has ever played when we qualified for the world cup under Beenhakker..
Gally never accomplished anything. We almost made it to the world cup in 1989 and that was it, nothing came out of Gally since.
Sando, I agree with some of what you say But,
do you realise that Beenie had more spots than Gally to qualify with?
and if I was working under Austin, after those comments, I dont know how it would affect me.
Not saying that it affected Gally to the point that , as You say, he has not had any success since.
jmo
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>