April 20, 2024, 08:14:25 AM

Author Topic: Coach Shaka Hislop?  (Read 6503 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Coach Shaka Hislop?
« on: December 21, 2006, 07:26:14 AM »
Coach Shaka Hislop?
T&T Express Reports.
[/size]

Recently, I caught up with national goalkeeper and Trinidad and Tobago World Cup 2006 hero Shaka Hislop during his visit to Trinidad for the La Foucade Soccer Clinic's International Christmas Soccer Camp.
The 37-year-old T&T custodian, who has also stood between the uprights for English clubs, Newcastle United and West Ham United, and currently for US Major League Soccer club FC Dallas, only spent two days at the camp.
The 275 youngsters who were fortunate enough to participate in the camp, enjoying the expertise of Hislop, former US women's player Tiffany Roberts, Jamaican international Tyrone Marshall and a number of former national players, were treated to a fun experience, and constantly mobbed the T&T veteran.
Hislop even took part in a game called "Escape", with the young campers split into two large groups, and signed autographs along with the other international players as well, before heading back to the US.
He even took time out from the rigours of coaching and fun events to chat with me about the camp, his career, and the historic World Cup experience.

Q: How did you get involved with the camp?
A: I've worked with Dion for a long time, and I have a lot of respect for him, I've a lot of respect for what he has achieved...I've always been very keen to give back to the local community, you know, I've tried to remain involved in Trinidad football at all levels. Not only as a player, but also giving back in a number of different ways...This opportunity just ticked all the right boxes...

Q: What impact can it have on the youngsters?
A: To me, a lot of people see the glamorous side of football. The end product, the big game, the glory as it were. When really, this is where we all fall in love with the game. I started off playing games just like this, in camps just like this, with the likes of Clint Marcelle, Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy, and this is where we all start, and it's an important step.

Q: What's next for Shaka Hislop?
A: Well I've got another year left on my contract in the MLS, and who knows? I've got a well-deserved break now, and I hope to come back fresh, and next year we'll see how the season goes. Once you get to a certain age you stop thinking long term, you start thinking year by year.

Q: What about on a national level?
A: Well I think the end is nigh, exactly when, I'm not sure just yet. I'll just see how I feel, and then I'll make a decision. Again not many people play national football at this age because the demands are so high, the level is so high that the demands are much greater...I'll make a decision in the very near future.

Q: Is there any coaching in your future?
A: Maybe, you know, maybe...I've started doing my UEFA badges, I'm about to start next month doing my US badges, and we'll see where that takes me. I enjoy coaching at all level, and...we'll see.

Q: What was the World Cup like for you guys?
A: Well for me, it was a very special time. More importantly for me was the game as a fan. I cried in 1989, when we didn't make it. First and foremost I am a fan of Trinidad and Tobago football. It meant all to me to be there as a player, to be there on what was a momentous occasion for us as players, and for us as Trinidad and Tobago nationals. I'm proud to play my part, and it's something I'll never forget. As I said to Dion (La Foucade), I can now go to footballers' heaven a happy man.

Q: The match against Sweden seems to be your best ever...
A: I would agree, and I would agree for one single reason-it was the biggest game I ever played in. The biggest game I've ever been involved in. There's no other way to put it. Whichever way it went, whether we lost 1-0 or 8-0, it would still have meant a lot. It meant a lot to represent Trinidad and Tobago. It meant a lot to hear our national anthem being played at a World Cup. It was always going to be a very special day for me, and for the spectators.

Q: Is there anything about your career that you would change?:
A: No. I've tried not to live with too much regret. I'm very happy with the way things went, of course, some things could have gone better, but it's a package and I'm happy with the package that I've come away from the game with.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Coach Shaka Hislop?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 07:46:06 AM »
Nice read as per usual Flex. Shaka is a consumate gentleman and professional
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 08:19:20 AM »
Well, he is known here in the UK as "one of the great gentlemen of the game". I've heard more than one journalist/commentator say this about him. He is well liked by coaches, players and journalists. A great ambassador for TT.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 08:23:32 AM by redtrinigirl »
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 03:49:47 PM »
I hope he end his days in the PFL.
Warrior For Life !!

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 07:29:28 PM »
I hope he end his days in the PFL.
:rotfl: :rotfl:
I hope so too!!!
TnT Patriot

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 06:36:17 AM »
Well, he is known here in the UK as "one of the great gentlemen of the game". I've heard more than one journalist/commentator say this about him. He is well liked by coaches, players and journalists. A great ambassador for TT.
with all the goalkeepers playing in england, i didnt realize, until recently , that he was that big and well known over there!
  not meaning to be negative , but i guess thats why he didnt want to go back.i mean to endure a year of opposing  fans reminding him in every premiership game about that gerard deja vu ....
 as a goalkeeper , im proud of shaka's game against sweden in the world cup. i'd die happy too after that.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 10:13:14 AM »

as a goalkeeper , im proud of shaka's game against sweden in the world cup. i'd die happy too after that.
As a fan...definitely my greatest sporting moment ever!

Offline dotless007

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 10:26:27 AM »
shaka better give khan some tips on doin proper interviews

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 03:29:53 PM »
June 10th 2006 football fans Pearl Habour, Sep 11th. We will always remember that day because Shaka saved like a man possess.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 09:37:00 PM »
He is a great guy.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 09:19:49 AM »
Shaka and Latas are among the most humble and likeable of all of T&T footballers.  These are men whose feet never left the earth, no matter what they achieved and I look forward to the new regime in TTFF including the likes of these fellas.  As for the the type of goalkeeping talent we as a nation have been so apt at producing, adding Shaka to the coaching ranks of T&T that already include Ross Russell, Trevor Nottingham and "Brow", we shall continue to produce fine goalkeepers and won't have to worry about that department. 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

1]; } ?>