April 24, 2024, 03:59:11 PM

Author Topic: Griffith calls for Francois’ head  (Read 11743 times)

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
Re: Griffith calls for Francois’ head
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2007, 10:22:21 AM »
oh boy.   so how well would the Dames have performed if he and Garcia were'nt there?  nd you are the one who keeps calling the layers scabe, I certaily never said that.  Congrats on your win, but consider this....how much better would the T&T team do with Garcia and Kwan?

And for the record, congrats for scoring the fatest goal.

ps.  I see Kwan and Kenneth scored the most goals and Kwan won outstanding player.
Remember that Garcia retired after 2004 Pan Am Cup and Browne opted not to train with the team so I don't understand your point about us being better with them there. They have choosen not to be a part of the team. I disagree with regards to Garcia. Read my last post and this is also from previous experience with him. However, I am not a selector and will play once called.

Would their presence on the team really make that big a difference if they do not buy into the team's philosophy? Again, it takes more than a talented individual to produce good results in a team sport. The final was a good example of that.

I am quoting. I would never call myself a scab, how does that make sense. Again, if you support them it is the same as calling us scabs - also explained in my last post.

truetrini

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2007, 07:49:06 PM »
nah, me eh suporting dem and calling you scab.  I WOULDA STILL PLA IF I WERE SELECTED.  So i woulda be ah scab too.

I say de man standing on wha he believes,,,even if you disagree with his stance.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2007, 06:54:04 PM »
The team has been announced.

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2007, 08:49:18 PM »
The team has been announced.

so how yuh leave we hanging so  ;D

what's de team...

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2007, 08:40:58 AM »
Well I was letting you guys know so you can look out for the baccanal in the papers today. Of course they have not disappointed us. Gary Griffith has written one of the most inaccurate pieces to date in the Guardian. Nigel Simon has a piece that has some inaccuracies, but the names are accurate. Lisana Liburd has a more balanced piece in the Express. I don't buy the Guardian.

The following 16 people have been shortlisted to travel to Germany and then Austria where 12 from this will represent T&T in the World Cup. Of course this is provided that the rebels don't get their way. Despite what you might see in the Guardian Rocke is not a member of Malvern although he did represent us as a guest player in the recent Ventures Indoor Tournament. As far as I know he is unattached.
Dwain Quan Chan, Atiba Wittington, Solomon Eccles, Kiel Murray, Dillet Gilkes, Akim Toussaint, Alan Henderson, Anthony Marcano, Damian Gordon, Mickell Pierre, Wayne Legerton, Allan Young, Nicholas Wren, Brian Lee Chow, Ron Alexander and Andrey Rocke.

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2007, 09:43:02 AM »
Congratulations for making de team :beermug:....

I hope all yuh staying for a little while after de tournament to see de scenery  ;D   

this is off topic, but when last did magnolias lose an indoor tournament...they seem to be mashing up everybody for some time.......

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2007, 10:30:08 AM »
Thank you.

Actually Malvern women are the national indoor champions and Defence Force won the Mags indoor invitational. So while they are clearly the most successful women's team they have recently lost tournaments.

truetrini

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2007, 11:03:37 AM »
Well I was letting you guys know so you can look out for the baccanal in the papers today. Of course they have not disappointed us. Gary Griffith has written one of the most inaccurate pieces to date in the Guardian. Nigel Simon has a piece that has some inaccuracies, but the names are accurate. Lisana Liburd has a more balanced piece in the Express. I don't buy the Guardian.

The following 16 people have been shortlisted to travel to Germany and then Austria where 12 from this will represent T&T in the World Cup. Of course this is provided that the rebels don't get their way. Despite what you might see in the Guardian Rocke is not a member of Malvern although he did represent us as a guest player in the recent Ventures Indoor Tournament. As far as I know he is unattached.
Dwain Quan Chan, Atiba Wittington, Solomon Eccles, Kiel Murray, Dillet Gilkes, Akim Toussaint, Alan Henderson, Anthony Marcano, Damian Gordon, Mickell Pierre, Wayne Legerton, Allan Young, Nicholas Wren, Brian Lee Chow, Ron Alexander and Andrey Rocke.

I go tell meh fren who does work for de Guardian...ah certain Mr. Gordon.  lol

congrats

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2007, 06:48:15 AM »
thank you...  :)

I listened to Anil Roberts on Power 102 and I can only shake my head. Hockey people have disgusted me throughout this whole process. Roberts knows nothing about the sport, but is speaking with such authority based on what these people are telling him. It is so sad that they are just being malicious and don't have hockey's best interest at heart. And then I have to hear people saying that Kwan is standing on principle. I'm not sorry at all for saying this, but there is nothing principled in what is happening. I think Liburd has said it best and I quote from his article today, "A notable omission was 29-year-old phenom and former captain and assistant coach Kwandwane Browne, who refused to play unless Francois amended the team to his liking or was sacked." That, my friends, does not sound principled to me, but that is at the root of why we are where we are today. He is no saint, talented as he is, and this is a quest to get his own way. I know you guys disagree with me and that is fine. It is sad though that at the end of the day it is my teammates and I, not to mention T&T hockey in general, that suffers for this so called "principled stand".

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2007, 03:04:27 PM »
Ah hearing real commercial about this hockey thing on the radio -  i95.. talking bout how real pretenders catching the plane to the championships..  :rotfl:

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2007, 01:43:20 PM »
I have heard the ads as well. It is funny and I can still manage to smile when I hear it, but overall it is disappointing how people who cannot even identify the side of the hockey stick to use can so confidently talk about who is a pretender. C'est la vie...

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2007, 08:00:44 AM »
PRESSHAH!

I heard the clubs forced TTHB hands last night and Kwan is now going to Austria, and David Francois get demoted to the assistant coach, with some German fella being de head coach. 

Wolfman, was the inside scoop?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 08:03:23 AM by lickslikefire »

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2007, 09:30:50 AM »
I have no inside information. I was not present at the meeting and the Board so far has been tight lipped about it.

I heard that everyone left that meeting happy which means that it's possible I'll be quitting the team. There is no way that I can continue to sacrifice so much of my time and effort for a sport that insists on being run in the most amateurish manner. I'm taking this serious and they are treating it like a popularity contest. I have some serious thinking to do and a tough decision to make.

truetrini

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2007, 10:18:52 AM »
I have no inside information. I was not present at the meeting and the Board so far has been tight lipped about it.

I heard that everyone left that meeting happy which means that it's possible I'll be quitting the team. There is no way that I can continue to sacrifice so much of my time and effort for a sport that insists on being run in the most amateurish manner. I'm taking this serious and they are treating it like a popularity contest. I have some serious thinking to do and a tough decision to make.

doh quit boy.  make de trip, enjoy yuhself and play hard.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2007, 12:42:57 PM »
Easy to say don't quit. But it's hard not to when I might have to tour with a man who has said (for me to hear) that he is not comfortable playing with this team. As it is would any of the 16 selected been considered had they not trained with the squad? What is the message that the hockey community is sending? If you are a gifted player you will get what you want, even when you hold a national team and national Board to ransom. I cannot stand for that. I hope to one day be a parent. How can I instill morals and integrity when I myself stood silent just so I can go to a World Cup? I am no Kwan by any stretch of the imagination, my absence will not hurt the team. My presence though can hurt my integrity as a human being.

In addition to that it is hard to be a part of a sport that ultimately stands for nothing. The best player will have his way if he is popular enough. I make no apologies for feeling that I deserve better.

That said, I await some official word as to what has actually transpired. Then, after consulting with my family, will make a decision.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2007, 03:00:46 PM »
Man GO FOR IT and PLAY YOUR GAME that you LOVE for YOUR COUNTRY
just dont THINK like dem
HAVE A GREAT TIME

dwolfman, it is VERY easy for me to say that, as I am NOT caught up in the commess
the final decision is yours
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 03:07:34 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2007, 05:26:04 PM »
Thanks WC and TT. I appreciate the sentiment. Because of the respect I have for many of you on this board it means something to have your support.

However, mentally this has taken its toll and I can't just make a trip for the sake of making it. Representing T&T is probably the only thing I've done that I am really proud of. It's an experience that I cannot describe and going to this World Cup would have been the ultimate for me. Probably only an outdoor World Cup or an Olympic Games would be better. However, if I stand for nothing I can fall for anything. Players will miss out on a World Cup because others hung on to Kwan's coat tails rather than come out and train at 5:30 in the morning with the rest of us. That can't be good for the sport. This is going to be a tough weekend. Plenty soul searching.

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2007, 05:59:37 PM »
Easy to say don't quit. But it's hard not to when I might have to tour with a man who has said (for me to hear) that he is not comfortable playing with this team. As it is would any of the 16 selected been considered had they not trained with the squad? What is the message that the hockey community is sending? If you are a gifted player you will get what you want, even when you hold a national team and national Board to ransom. I cannot stand for that. I hope to one day be a parent. How can I instill morals and integrity when I myself stood silent just so I can go to a World Cup? I am no Kwan by any stretch of the imagination, my absence will not hurt the team. My presence though can hurt my integrity as a human being.

In addition to that it is hard to be a part of a sport that ultimately stands for nothing. The best player will have his way if he is popular enough. I make no apologies for feeling that I deserve better.

That said, I await some official word as to what has actually transpired. Then, after consulting with my family, will make a decision.

dwolfman...i real feelin fuh yuh.  yuh caught up in some wretched nasty politics that have gone on for way too long in hockey.  based on your description of the dilemma you personally face, i can only imagine how demoralized you must feel!

that is a real tough decision to make.  consider the advice of family, friends, and supporters but ultimately the only thing you can do is to follow your instincts.  if i could throw in my two cents it would be to tell you to consider looking back on this 10 years from now, do you think you will regret the decision not to go?  the politics is beyond you...you have no control over it.  is there any way you can give yourself the permission to not carry that burden (of the politics) and go do what you love?
"Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority.  The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong.  All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who doubted current moral values, not of men who tried to enforce them."

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2007, 06:51:51 PM »
Thanks WC and TT. I appreciate the sentiment. Because of the respect I have for many of you on this board it means something to have your support.

However, mentally this has taken its toll and I can't just make a trip for the sake of making it. Representing T&T is probably the only thing I've done that I am really proud of. It's an experience that I cannot describe and going to this World Cup would have been the ultimate for me. Probably only an outdoor World Cup or an Olympic Games would be better. However, if I stand for nothing I can fall for anything. Players will miss out on a World Cup because others hung on to Kwan's coat tails rather than come out and train at 5:30 in the morning with the rest of us. That can't be good for the sport. This is going to be a tough weekend. Plenty soul searching.
DG..all of us here want to see you achieve your dream and represent our country at the highest level.
Whatever your decision we will respect it  and continue to support you wholeheartedly.
Too bad there isn't many people who would even consider taking your course of action in this type of situation or have a decent level of integrity.
Just take your time and think it over.
God Bless.  :)
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

truetrini

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2007, 09:13:21 PM »
dis is a straight case of de coach being too hard to communicate with.  it is also a case of malvern against the rest.

Kwan is de best T&T have, so he has power.  at the end of the day yuh is jes ah soldier and doh matter who de field commander is yuh must..ah say YUH must fight.

Make de trip and forget de politics, trust me, it have nuff man on de team who playing both sides and dey eh want to go without Kwan and dey eh exactly want fancois..dat is de hard trute,

go fella play, I wish I was still young and playing.

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2007, 09:30:19 PM »

None of us are in your shoes, so none of could us say what's best for you.  And as WC say, we supporting yuh regardless.

But I'll tell you this.  You have done the training and you have put in de work.  It's de last lap pardner.  Yuh making de final turn, doh let de politics get to yuh, you have earned a spot on this team.  Go out and show them what yuh about.  The World Cup will be an experience of a lifetime.

N.B. I heard there are 3 people in charge of selections, Kwan, David Francois, and a neutral party to ensure selections are not biased, so things are not as bad as they seem.  Kwan so called "friends" ent getting on de team dat easy at all.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2007, 12:14:26 AM »
you could keep your ideology and yet still play your game. If ever the situation comes up you could state your case and accept that people are different yet you explain that you have to maintain your credibility by respectfully disagreeing with those you do not agree with. For every person on your team there is a unique opinion yet you could tell them that you will still respect their opinions if they respect yours.
I am sure that some may look at the differences of opinion as a Threat to their selection or position on the team and may want all who disagree with them to be removed, but they will be the ones who miss out on the uniqueness of their fellow human being.
If after some realise your position that they feel that they have to put you down, insult you, call you names or label you, it becomes uncomfortable to be around these people, and it is unfortunate but understandable that Yes your health is more important than playing the game.
It is the challenges and not the success in life that make a Human Being strong.
Go in Gods company
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 12:17:59 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2007, 06:34:55 AM »
in today's express

Hockey Board agree World Cup compromise
Lasana Liburd

Saturday, January 20th 2007

Trinidad and Tobago star hockey player Kwandwane Browne seems likely to represent his country once more after the Trinidad and Tobago Hockey Board (TTHB) agreed a last-ditch compromise with dissident clubs over selection of the Austria 2007Â Samsung Indoor World Cup team.

The 29-year-old Browne, who is considered the country's greatest-ever player, should have met the TTHB executive committee yesterday to formalise his return to the national fold. He comes into the squad with increased powers too as the Board appointed the Notre Dame star as one part of a three-member "special selection committee", which also includes coach David Francois and Fatima player and ex-national Derek Lee.

The special selection committee will choose players to be added to Francois' 16-man squad which was named last Wednesday. Browne, who quit the team last month over the non-inclusion of Defence Force goalkeeper Glen "Fido" Francis, is expected to lobby for the recall of Francis and Queen's Park attacker Raphael Govia, who mirrored Browne's initial stance.

Fatima striker Dean Nieves is among the other players pushing for a squad pick while an olive branch might be extended to England-based utility player, Brian Garcia, who retired from international hockey three years ago and refused to play under Francois.

The designated players will travel to Germany alongside the initial 16-man squad for a training camp in Hamburg. The squad should depart this weekend or early next week.

The final 12-man World Cup team will be decided by Francois, the team captain and an unnamed German indoor club coach-the TTHB promised to furnish the media with more details about its new employee-who would act as technical director for the competition while Lt Ian Carter (trainer) and Jason Thomas (manager) should also have input.

Browne has served as national captain for close to a decade but the TTHB has not officially announced its team leader yet and the position of the coach's first mate may no longer be a foregone conclusion.

In an effort to allay fears about the integrity of the final selection process, it is the German coach-and not Francois-who will have the last word as regards the World Cup squad. The 12 selected players plus two stand-bys would then proceed to Vienna for the competition, which runs from February 14 to 18, while the remaining players return to Trinidad.

The final deadline for the 12-man squad to be selected is January 31.

The new proposals were the product of a five-hour meeting on Wednesday night at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, which was attended by 32 delegates from the country's 16 clubs and 24 observers.

Seven clubs demanded Thursday's meeting to air concerns regarding the selection of the national squad and coach for the prestigious tournament. Eleven clubs would have been required to vote as a bloc to overrule the present TTHB executive on the matter.

However, it never came to a vote as the Board agreed to dilute the power of its coach as regards the selection of a training squad. It is a decision that should at least temporarily satisfy Browne, who repeatedly stated his desire to play once he was happy with the composition of the team.

The former England and Holland-based star could not be reached for comment yesterday while Francois was also unavailable and TTHB president Maureen Craig-Rousseau declined the opportunity to comment.

Although Francois is likely to have players hoisted on him, it is only a German coach-rather than Browne-who can overrule his final team selection.

Germany, the defending men's champions, are Trinidad and Tobago's first Indoor World Cup opponent in Vienna. The TTHB would expect its new technical director to put professionalism ahead of patriotism.
"Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority.  The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong.  All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who doubted current moral values, not of men who tried to enforce them."

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2007, 07:00:25 AM »
boy dwolfman, i wake up vex dis morning thinking bout you and the position yuh find yuhself in.  my post last night was tempered but now ah just vex.  vex that one of our boys finds himself mired in the politics of a sport he loves, vex that you now find yourself in the dilemma between personal character and integrity vs. the politics of your sport.

from the posts i've seen here i gather there are forumites that know you and know how hard you've worked for this and it is clear from your own posts that you love what you do.

i agree with WestCoast...you can respectfully and with integrity agree to disagree and still play your game.  whatever your decision, you know it will be supported here, just honour yourself.  forget about everybody else, remember that they are all, in their own way, influenced by the politics as well, and do what is right by you.

stay strong!

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2007, 09:26:18 PM »
Again, thanks a lot everyone. The past 6 weeks in particular really have been difficult. I can't express how good it feels to have the support of your guys. Most of us have never met, but it's amazing how much I value the opinions of people here. Yesterday the emotions reached to a head and I really and truly was ready to quit. I had drafted my letter and everything. I spoke to a couple teammates, friends and eventually my mother and they all shared the sentiment that you cannot fight for change from the outside. The also said that it would be a shame to throw away all the hard work of the last couple years. Even my girlfriend, who often has problems with the amount of time I spend in hockey, felt that the sacrifice should not go in vain. I will give it one more night of thought and see how I feel after training tomorrow. The team in general is disappointed with the whole affair, but ready to move on and the general sentiment is to quit now would make it easier for one of those who had to earn it via popularity an easier chance to make the team. You guys will know my final decision.

Anyway, rumour has it that Browne, Nieves and Govia are the 3 players selected to join the 16. Will confirm that for you if it isn't confirmed online.

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2007, 09:29:34 PM »
good...thanks for keeping us posted (no pun intended)  ;)

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2007, 09:37:34 PM »
Again, thanks a lot everyone. The past 6 weeks in particular really have been difficult. I can't express how good it feels to have the support of your guys. Most of us have never met, but it's amazing how much I value the opinions of people here. Yesterday the emotions reached to a head and I really and truly was ready to quit. I had drafted my letter and everything. I spoke to a couple teammates, friends and eventually my mother and they all shared the sentiment that you cannot fight for change from the outside. The also said that it would be a shame to throw away all the hard work of the last couple years. Even my girlfriend, who often has problems with the amount of time I spend in hockey, felt that the sacrifice should not go in vain. I will give it one more night of thought and see how I feel after training tomorrow. The team in general is disappointed with the whole affair, but ready to move on and the general sentiment is to quit now would make it easier for one of those who had to earn it via popularity an easier chance to make the team. You guys will know my final decision.
Anyway, rumour has it that Browne, Nieves and Govia are the 3 players selected to join the 16. Will confirm that for you if it isn't confirmed online.
very well said
but man ya have to give up dat Stag beer :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 09:41:23 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2007, 02:29:30 PM »
Nieves, Govia and Browne are indeed the additional 3 players. We had two sessions yesterday; Browne was at both and the other two came in the afternoon.

I suppose I have come too far now to turn back. The worst case scenario is I do not make the 12 (which was always a possibility since 16 were initially going to Germany), but I will still have learned from my time in Germany, plus the team as a whole will improve skill-wise from Browne's inclusion at the very least. I think he is still liked enough by everyone on the team and has been an original member of the team already that in time we'll be back to normal. Nieves and Govia are part of the T&T hockey community and from that perspective are welcome. We will see how they fit in and the coach, technical director and other appointed people will make their selection in Germany.

The good thing about the German guy is that he knows none of us and doesn't care about our local popularity.

but man ya have to give up dat Stag beer
Until the WC is over I've given up alcohol in general, but when we get back my first drink will be a Stag.  :beermug:

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2007, 03:05:05 PM »
Niceness, yuh sticking with it then.  Good luck with the training boy  :beermug:

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2007, 04:43:30 PM »
glad to hear it dwolfman!  i look forward to the updates and hope we hear from you before you head off.  ah behind yuh for the final 12.  good luck man!

1]; } ?>