April 24, 2024, 07:41:41 AM

Author Topic: Excuses, excuses...  (Read 3214 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Excuses, excuses...
« on: January 08, 2007, 02:06:29 PM »
Nightmare journey hinders preparation
By Sam Stevens (Royal Gazette)

8 Jan 2007

Bermuda’s final preparations for last night’s crucial Digicel Cup clash with Haiti were thrown into disarray by a nightmare journey to the Caribbean.
With their American Airlines plane experiencing mechanical problems on Friday morning in New York, the squad had to wait for over four hours at John F. Kennedy International airport while a replacement was found – a delay which meant they missed their connecting flight in Miami.
Forced to spend the night in Florida and catch the first available flight the next morning, Kyle Lightbourne’s men did not arrive at the team hotel until just after four in the afternoon.
And with the venue for the Haiti game – the Ato Bolden stadium – over an hour away and the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain being re-seeded, the only viable training facility available to Bermuda was the ramshackle Savannah parklands in the centre of the capital.
The team then arrived at the Savannah with a little under 40 minutes of daylight remaining to find all three football pitches already in use, leaving them no choice but to play on a disused rugby field nearby where the spiky grass was at least 15 inches high.
In contrast to Bermuda’s ill-fated and stressful journey, meanwhile, the Haitians arrived in Trinidad on December 28 and according to local media reports, trained at the Ato Bolden Stadium almost every day.
Despite the headaches, however, coaches Lightbourne and Paul Scope appeared to take the farcical training arrangements in good humour, with the former Coventry City striker insisting afterwards they were not going to use their travel difficulties as an excuse.
“Obviously it’s not been ideal, but at this stage we just have to get on with it,” he said.
“We could have driven out to the (Ato Bolden) stadium and trained under lights, but the guys had been travelling a lot and we didn’t want to put them through another lengthy journey so close to the game.
“The only thing that was available at the time was the Savannah, and while we’re not happy about how things turned out, the only thing we can do is make the best of it.
“We had some good sessions in Bermuda before we left and we’ve been in these sorts of situations before in the Caribbean.
“We’ve just told the guys not to worry about it and just focus on the job they’ve got to do.”

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Excuses, excuses...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 02:33:03 PM »
That drive does not hake a full hour so they should have go on the trip.

they also should have not gone on american arilines when they could take a BWee/ caribbean air , non stop from NYC to TnT and have no problems
flying from Bermuda to NYC to Miami to TnT is a big waste of time.

better planning and preparations avoid these kinds of errors.

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 03:08:24 PM »
Bermuda, Bermuda, Bermuda. Fortunately for us, the last time we played them in Haiti, they found the stadium quite fine for a poor country but their kids were too sad for the poverty they saw in Haiti that they lost 11-1 to Haiti! That's what I call compassion  ;D

This time who are the guilty ones: American Airlines, the poor conditions of the training facilities in TnT, Haiti who arrived early, and the host who opened the Ato Bolden Stadium door to the guest who arrived first. Excuses, excuses, excuses.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 03:10:10 PM by Toussaint »
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 03:18:52 PM »
ah feel for them, thats rough, especially when its forces that are beyond your control.
I dont blame them for choosing AA over BWEE, all now so their bags and equipment would be in Puerto Rico or something.
I hear traffic in Trini real bad these days, hindsight is 20/20, i bet they wish they had gone to the stadium to train under lights

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 03:33:35 PM »
Sh*t happens!
;D
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 03:53:54 PM »
Bermuda, Bermuda, Bermuda. Fortunately for us, the last time we played them in Haiti, they found the stadium quite fine for a poor country but their kids were too sad for the poverty they saw in Haiti that they lost 11-1 to Haiti! That's what I call compassion  ;D

This time who are the guilty ones: American Airlines, the poor conditions of the training facilities in TnT, Haiti who arrived early, and the host who opened the Ato Bolden Stadium door to the guest who arrived first. Excuses, excuses, excuses.
Yeah i have ah padnah from on meh college team  that was on that bermuda team that get 11. Ah ask him what # he walk off. he say after 7 they stop playing to show a form to the BFA to let them put morte money into thee football.
PS. they cheap connecting flights is soometimes cheaper maybe that they was trying to do!
All American

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 04:14:55 PM »
I dont blame them for choosing AA over BWEE, all now so their bags and equipment would be in Puerto Rico or something.

BWEE/Caribbean Airlines doh fly Puerto Rico....but AA does..with dey propeller plane that too small so AA is the ones that is leave bags in San Juan.

They make them take 2 connections instead of one....big mistake for a large traveling group..worse yet a football team going for a tournament.

The Savannah grounds was hard hard this weekend but me eh know bout no 15 inches of grass   :o

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 04:23:16 PM »
Somebody make ah out with dat 15 inches of grass! 15 inches eh grass no more. Dat is bush! And yuh cyah play no kinda ball in bush. De grass go be higher dan de ball. So is either dey mean 5 inches or 15cm both of which is still kinda high in my book.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 05:40:17 PM »

Yeah i have ah padnah from on meh college team  that was on that bermuda team that get 11. Ah ask him what # he walk off. he say after 7 they stop playing to show a form to the BFA to let them put morte money into thee football.

They're quite creative, those Bermudians!
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 06:25:19 PM »
These Bermudans must not tell stories.

I play in the Savannah on Saturday afternoon, Savannah cut about thurs, fri.
Yes they have some small clump of dry grass/hay that cepep/mts  ent pick up but the grass short right tru. I does walk from Cadiz road straight across  infront the grandstand to across by Casuals.

D Grass good.

ALso those who know the Savannah know it have more than three fields.....tsk tsk.

They vannah good to go.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 06:26:50 PM »
stewps... I agree wit Touches here.. it soundin fishy.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 12:29:24 AM »
Hmm. De question now becomes "Which savannah dey was playing/practicing in?"

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 11:36:45 AM »
Kentoine calls it quits
By Colin Thompson (Royal Gazette)

9 Jan 2007

With his team’s Digicel Cup hopes hanging in the balance miles away in the Caribbean, Bermuda national football team captain Kentoine Jennings yesterday announced his retirement from international football.
“I just don’t think I have it in me anymore. The legs are not as light as they used to be, and because of various other commitments, I no longer have the time to get myself in proper condition,” Jennings told The Royal Gazette.
The North Village stalwart broke through to the senior national ranks at age 16 and went on to play under five different coaches during his 19-year involvement with the national programme.
Jennings was a member of Gary Darrell’s 1993 World Cup qualifying squad that advanced to the second round of group qualifiers – the furthest the Island has ever journeyed in the prestigious competition.
“I’ve had some good times playing international football and enjoyed playing at that level for so long because I’ve enjoyed playing against different players,” Jennings said.
“I’ve played a lot of international football and playing with the national team gave me the opportunity to play with and get to know a lot of players from other teams. You really get to know a lot about the people you play against every week and their character playing with them at the national level.”
Jennings last suited up for the national team against the Dominican Republic during the first round of the Digicel Cup held in the British Virgin Islands last September, a match in which the veteran was sent off after receiving a second yellow card.
“In order to really enjoy the good times, you must also go through the bad times,” Jennings smiled. “You have to learn how to take the good with the bad.”
The 35-year-old former pro travelled to Barbados with the national squad last November for the second round of Digicel group qualifiers, but after serving out an automatic one-game suspension “popped” a calf muscle in training and was sidelined for the remainder of the tournament.
Jennings had hoped to make one last national team appearance on the team’s current trip to Trinidad, but those plans were dashed when he pulled a hamstring playing for Village in a Premier’s Dudley Eve Trophy match against Somerset Trojans last month.
“I’ve had a long international football career, and so it really doesn’t matter to me how I leave the game,” Jennings insisted. “It’s been a very long, tiring and at times rewarding journey.”
In his absence, overseas-based striker John Barry Nusum has worn the captain’s armband, and in Jennings’ estimation has done an “outstanding” job so far.
“John is somebody everybody respects and looks up to because he’s a leader and carries himself well,” Jennings said.
“He is a people person and nobody has any issues with him. John also works extremely hard every time he goes onto the field, can play in various positions and can also lead.
“He’s always been somebody I’ve felt takes responsibility for his actions and always seems to carry himself very well. And so he’s definitely a person I would consider as a leader.
“Even I would be proud of him being my captain because he’s that type of person who I look up to, and definitely someone I would consider for the captaincy.”
But while Jennings’ international football career has come to an end, the veteran says he has yet to make any decisions about bowing out of domestic football.
“I definitely intend to play out the remainder of the season with Village,” he vowed. “But as far as playing football next season, that’s a decision I’ll have to make when this season is over.”

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 11:39:30 AM »
‘We can still win’ insists Scope
By Sam Stevens (Royal Gazette)

9 Jan 2007

Bermuda know they have to improve “in every single area” if they are to overturn the 2-0 deficit against Haiti in tonight’s second-leg Digicel Cup clash.
Assistant national coach Paul Scope admitted yesterday the team had been totally outclassed by a meticulously prepared and more organised Haitian side during the opening game at the Ato Bolden stadium on Sunday afternoon.
At only two goals down, however, he insisted the challenge of reaching next week’s finals was not an insurmountable one.
“We’re fully aware that Haiti were the better side on Sunday night – they dominated us from the start and in general there was very little we could do about it,” he said.
“We didn’t start very well at all and then conceded a goal inside the first ten minutes. We improved a little bit early on in the second half but overall we weren’t able to put much pressure on them.
“We thought we might be able to get away with the 1-0 defeat and go into the second leg with it all to play for, but that second goal late in the game has made the task a little tougher for us.
“Saying that though, we all know we can play a lot better than we did, so to get away with a 2-0 given how Haiti dominated us certainly gives us hope that we can turn things around in the second leg.”
From front to back, Bermuda had major problems on Sunday that arguably might take more than one extra day of training to put right.
From a defensive standpoint, a back four missing both Stanton Lewis and Kentoine Jennings looked hesitant and short on pace against Haiti’s physically-imposing attackers, while in midfield Jelani Scott and Kwame Steede were knocked off the ball repeatedly as they struggled to impose themselves on the game in the manner in which they have been doing for their club sides recently.
All this meant that Bermuda’s two star strikers, captain John Barry Nusum and Khano Smith, spent more time tracking back in search of the ball than causing the damage they are capable of in the opposition’s penalty box – something illustrated by the fact that they generated only two strikes on goal during the course of a painful 90 minutes.
Meanwhile, reluctant to endure the hour-long bus ride to the Ato Bolden stadium near the village of Couva, just outside Port of Spain, the team trained once again yesterday afternoon on the capital’s central Savannah, although on this occasion they were able to stretch their legs on a marked football pitch rather than the uncut rugby field they encountered on Saturday night.
With no injury concerns to speak of, Scope and coach Kyle Lightbourne will have a full quota of players to select from this afternoon – though Scope said there would not be any drastic changes to the starting eleven.
“Kyle and I have been discussing things for most of the morning and have been trying to come up with a formula that we think will do the business,” he said.
“We might have to tweak things here and there in light of what happened on Sunday but I think we’re generally happy that we have got the right players in the right positions.
“But we’ve got issues all over the park, no question. There’s not really any area of the team which we can say we’re satisfied with.
“Defensively we made some errors that none of us were happy about and in midfield and up front, keeping hold of the ball was a major problem. We kept on giving the ball away in dangerous areas and consequently it was backs-to-the-wall stuff for most of the game.
“But we knew coming into these games that Haiti would be a strong side and they’ve certainly proved that to us.”
Asked whether he felt Bermuda’s preparation for the play-off games had been sufficiently thorough, Scope said that the shortcomings in this area were already well documented and all they could do from a coaching perspective was to work hard with what they’ve got.
“At this stage of the game we cannot go looking around for excuses,” he said.
“Everybody is aware that under the present circumstances, we do not have the luxury of any practise games and that this has been an issue for a while.
“We’ve had some criticism about allowing the players to take part in the Dudley Eve Trophy where we picked up a couple of injuries, but I think maybe people might be able to appreciate that we might have been even worse off now if we had asked them not to play.
“So is there anything we can do about all this right now? No, of course not. We’ve just got to get on with it and try and turn things around in the short time we have available.”
Kick-off for tonight’s second leg is at 5 p.m. local time, with the winners on aggregate going on to play Martinique, Barbados and hosts Trinidad next week in the group stages of the eight-team finals.

1]; } ?>