April 19, 2024, 04:38:00 AM

Author Topic: World Cup 2010 in USA ........ seems more plausible with articles like this  (Read 1891 times)

Offline dervaig

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Zulu leader warns 2010 could flop in South Africa

AFP
January 12, 2007
JOHANNESBURG (AFP) - South Africa's failure to combat crime and international perceptions that the country is unsafe, could render the 2010 Soccer World Cup a "monumental flop", veteran Zulu leader Mangosuthu Buthelezi has said.

The former cabinet minister said this international perception could deter some of the 450,000 visitors expected to visit the country - the first African country to host the massive international event.

"If prospective international visitors judge our country not safe enough to travel to, the event could turn out to be a monumental flop, and any economic gains hoped for will vanish into thin air," Buthelezi said in his weekly newsletter.

South Africa has one of highest crime rates in the world, with 18,793 murders reported in the country of 46 million over the 2004-05 financial year, according to national crime statistics.

More than 55,000 rape cases were reported by police in 2005.

Buthelezi regards this as disgraceful, adding the country's criminal justice system was on the verge of collapse.

"The government's inability to identify, combat, isolate and successfully prosecute and incarcerate criminals is a national disgrace," he said.

He also condemned the culture of glamorising crime in South Africa's townships as well as unhealthy, unfit and semi-literate police officers who were untrained and should be removed from the country's police services.

"It is totally unacceptable that tens of thousands of rapists, murderers, pedophiles, vehicle hijackers, drug dealers and thieves of all kinds as well as national and international criminal syndicates strike every hour and everyday in South Africa - usually with impunity," he said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=afp-fblsafricawc2010rsa&prov=afp&type=lgns

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Seems every month if have ah different article about this sort of thing. Its almost as if the media wants SA to fail. Though it would be most convienent and cheap for me if it did happen in the US, but the US could never emulate the atmosphere necessary for such an event. Fellas who went to the last US WC, said to me it was just games. You went to the game, then went home/hotel.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
Seems every month if have ah different article about this sort of thing. Its almost as if the media wants SA to fail. Though it would be most convienent and cheap for me if it did happen in the US, but the US could never emulate the atmosphere necessary for such an event. Fellas who went to the last US WC, said to me it was just games. You went to the game, then went home/hotel.

me ent really mind if they ent get to host cause it go be more convenient to me also.
but i rather it went to another country besides the US
when yuh look at it..we really had it nice in Germany.
Transportation was real good and ah did like de 5-ply toilet paper  ;D
i did picture getting to games in South Africa as the biggest headache.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Dat would be nice fuh real....right in mih back door.....but ah somehow feel it wouldn't be the same as in Europe....

If it doesn't materialise for SA it would be unfortunate for them especially since they lobby so hard for the tournament....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

1]; } ?>