April 26, 2024, 02:23:25 PM

Author Topic: When mountain lion attacks, spouse fights back  (Read 2323 times)

truetrini

When mountain lion attacks, spouse fights back
« on: January 26, 2007, 11:38:32 AM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16817149/?GT1=8921

When mountain lion attacks, spouse fights back
Wife clubs big cat with log after husband is attacked in California state park
 NBC VIDEO

• Woman, 65, saves husband from lion
Jan. 26: A 65-year-old woman fights off a mountain lion with a piece of wood, saving the life of her 70-year-old husband as they hiked in a California state park. TODAY's Ann Curry reports.
Today show

Updated: 8:36 a.m. ET Jan 26, 2007
SAN FRANCISCO - Wildlife officials credited a woman with saving her husband's life by clubbing a mountain lion that attacked him while the couple were hiking in a California state park.

Jim and Nell Hamm, who will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary next month, were hiking in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park when the lion pounced, officials said Thursday.

"He didn't scream. It was a different, horrible plea for help, and I turned around, and by then the cat had wrestled Jim to the ground," Nell Hamm said in an interview from the hospital where her husband was recovering from a torn scalp, puncture wounds and other injuries.

After the attack, game wardens closed the park about 320 miles north of San Francisco and released hounds to track the lion. They later shot and killed a pair of lions found near the trail where the attack happened.

The carcasses were flown to a state forensics lab to determine if either animal mauled the man.

Although the Hamms are experienced hikers, neither had seen a mountain lion before Jim Hamm was mauled, his wife said. Nell Hamm said she grabbed a four-inch-wide log and beat the animal with it, but it would not release its hold on her husband's head.

"Jim was talking to me all through this, and he said, 'I've got a pen in my pocket and get the pen and jab him in the eye,'" she said. "So I got the pen and tried to put it in his eye, but it didn't want to go in as easy as I thought it would."

When the pen bent and became useless, Nell Hamm went back to using the log. The lion eventually let go and, with blood on its snout, stood staring at the woman. She screamed and waved the log until the animal walked away.

‘She saved his life, there is no doubt’
"She saved his life, there is no doubt about it," said Steve Martarano, a spokesman for the Department of Fish and Game.

Nell Hamm, 65, said she was scared to leave her dazed, bleeding husband alone, so the couple walked a quarter-mile to a trail head, where she gathered branches to protect them if more lions came around. They waited until a ranger came by and summoned help.

"My concern was to get Jim out of there," she said. "I told him, 'Get up, get up, walk,' and he did."

Jim Hamm, 70, was in fair condition Thursday. He had to have his lips stitched back together and underwent surgery for lacerations on his head and body.

Nell Hamm warned people never to hike in the backcountry alone. Park rangers told the couple if Jim Hamm had been alone, he probably would not have survived.

"We fought harder than we ever have to save his life, and we fought together," she said.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Offline Source

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: When mountain lion attacks, spouse fights back
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 07:11:19 PM »
That's the kinda woman every man needs. Some would have run away and let  the lion kill him to collect the insurance money.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 11:42:26 PM »
I guess it is a cougar, not an actual lion.

It is unfortunate de man get 4k up, but it is no reason to go and kill those two mountain lions afterwards. I would understand it if the lion had been in a residential area, but dem people were in the animal's natural habitat. No right to kill those animals - real uncalled for.  >:(

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 12:03:16 AM »
Unusual for this to happen at all. We have had maybe 16 attacks recorded since 1890 in California. Those cougars like to keep to themselves.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 01:13:26 AM »

Yea but once they attack a human I think they kill it to prevent any possible recurrence....once they taste human blood blah blah blah.
Some animals pick up that habit so I guess they just following standard procedure.

But it attack for what reason I wonder.  Cudn't be to eat him right   ???

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 05:33:06 AM »

It is unfortunate de man get 4k up, but it is no reason to go and kill those two mountain lions afterwards. I would understand it if the lion had been in a residential area, but dem people were in the animal's natural habitat. No right to kill those animals - real uncalled for.  >:(

So what is man's natural habitat ?
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 08:45:21 AM »
That's the kinda woman every man needs. Some would have run away and let  the lion kill him to collect the insurance money.

ya go be ah good frien ah mine one day  :beermug:

all ah dem who did say in another thread dat dem want dey young, long hair, photoshop edited woman datz pose up all how to take picture...allyuh go DEAD.  She have a photo shoot next week and nothing must scatch she skin. Allyuh have Last WILL and Testament ?

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 10:52:52 AM »

Yea but once they attack a human I think they kill it to prevent any possible recurrence....once they taste human blood blah blah blah.
Some animals pick up that habit so I guess they just following standard procedure.

But it attack for what reason I wonder. Cudn't be to eat him right ???

Maybe it was unintentionally provoked? They are not known for attacking humans.  :beermug:

well is more their natural habitat than it is man's at present. I eh know about de Republic of Georgia but most people in N. America doh live in de forest.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 10:58:47 AM by Grande man »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 05:14:25 PM »

If again. If the roles was reversed........de man would be branded a coward or worse if he did anything other than fight. Women have it easy in that respect....they eh really obligated to do that. In fact....people would have real sympathy for her if the man died in front her eyes. 50th anniversary....next month......well i guess they really made the right choice.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 02:58:13 AM »

But it attack for what reason I wonder. Cudn't be to eat him right ???

Maybe it was unintentionally provoked? They are not known for attacking humans.  :beermug:

well is more their natural habitat than it is man's at present. I eh know about de Republic of Georgia but most people in N. America doh live in de forest.

I suppose where you livimg now was always concrete and steel.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline d1onlysexysugar

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 10:19:48 AM »
ah wodda save my b/f dat i have now................ but if it was some 1 else ..........  sorry buh dey mighta dead  :angel:

she was really brave.... ah give her dat !!!  ;D :beermug:
ADM

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 02:38:17 PM »
ah wodda save my b/f dat i have now................ but if it was some 1 else ..........  sorry buh dey mighta dead  :angel:

she was really brave.... ah give her dat !!!  ;D :beermug:

yuh have now??

yuh wasnt de one pining on de forum not too long ago...dat yuh cyah wait to see yuh man who studyin in foreign and yuh countin dong de hours tll he return

yuh fire de fellah arready?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

1]; } ?>