April 25, 2024, 12:48:11 PM

Author Topic: technically gifted or average. interesting arsene wenger quote  (Read 1444 times)

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
technically gifted or average. interesting arsene wenger quote
« on: January 18, 2007, 10:18:54 PM »
I read this in FourFourTwo, January 2007 magazine. A quote from Arsene Wenger. Thought it was interesting.

-------

"How good is the quality of your touch? This can be decided from a young age, maybe as young as 12. At that age you can tell if a player is technically gifted or if they will be average for their whole life"
-------

Come to think of it, I remember seeing a video of barcelona under 13s, and in terms of technque, I couldnt find fault.

There was a another quote about small sided games that I thought was interesting. Although theres no mention of smaller goals, it reminded me small goal football.

--------

"In 11-a-side you can slip out of the game. With five-a-side, you must stay focused, keep movng, wanting the ball, and that, for me, is a key to its popularity. It's also why it is so important to the game and why I have my players playing small-sided games."

"In 11-a-side, you may get 20 touches in 90 minutes; in five-a-side you get the same number in a fraction of the time. You are confronted with decision-making all the time so your technical ability and skill is constantly tested and improves. It is the best way to prepare you as a footballer."

-------

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
Re: technically gifted or average. interesting arsene wenger quote
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 04:10:37 AM »
Well, given the man's ability to find outstanding young talent, he know what he talking about.

I wonder if we shouldn't invite him to come see a few InterCol/Sec. Sch. football matches in TT and see what he finds for us?  ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 07:56:29 AM by redtrinigirl »
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 07:44:18 AM »
red trini guyl....wenger will end up eating real nuts and pie.....but...he might just stop for a minute or two
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 08:43:44 AM »
red trini guyl....wenger will end up eating real nuts and pie.....but...he might just stop for a minute or two

:rotfl: :rotfl:
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

1]; } ?>