March 28, 2024, 12:03:43 PM

Author Topic: Sunderland Forever Thread.  (Read 603060 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sunderland Forever Thread.
« Reply #3750 on: December 26, 2013, 11:21:40 AM »
Merry Christmas Kev... hopefully your team delivers a Boxing Day present to supporters (and LFC fans :D )

Ask and ye shall receive   ;)

Well 1-0, penalty and keeper sent off (rightly) strange its usually us playing with 10 men.  Looked the other way around 2nd half and rode our luck a bit, again a change as we haven't exactly had the rub of the green so far this season.  A late present and very grateful for it.

Still a ways to go to get off the bottom, but this is a start  :beermug:

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: December 28, 2013, 02:29:21 AM »
Cardiff away today @ 5.30.  Cardiff sacked their manager yesterday, another club who seems to have found itself in foreign ownership that doesn't give a stuff or a lot of thought.  Anything out of Everton was a bonus, today is a chance to build on it or waste it I wish I could predict which way but haven't a clue.  3 points would put us right back in the mix and make up for only drawing with Norwich.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: December 28, 2013, 09:24:44 AM »
Cardiff away today @ 5.30.  Cardiff sacked their manager yesterday, another club who seems to have found itself in foreign ownership that doesn't give a stuff or a lot of thought.  Anything out of Everton was a bonus, today is a chance to build on it or waste it I wish I could predict which way but haven't a clue.  3 points would put us right back in the mix and make up for only drawing with Norwich.

Wow, did they?  Probably better for Mackay.  Not really fair to the fans, but I hope they get relegated.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: December 28, 2013, 01:55:08 PM »
Football is the strangest game a 2-2 draw that never looked on the cards and a point that we didn't deserve at all, we were woeful.  Another 1st the Cardiff owner Booing at the end along with the fans, I don't think he realised most of them were booing at him, it takes all sorts.

I would like to wish you all a Happy New Year and a wonderful and healthy 2014, as usual be good (although I suspect too much rum will be consumed), if you can't be good, be careful and if you can do neither, don't get caught.    :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: December 28, 2013, 02:37:18 PM »

Sunderland on network TV (in the U.S) and during prime sports-time on Saturday morning!  The background stories with Cardiff owner and former manager was as interesting as the game.  The last minute comeback seemed fair. The team is definitely on the rebound.  How come Altidore  is not scoring?  What luck and tenacity against Everton earlier in the week!

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #3755 on: December 28, 2013, 04:20:29 PM »
How come Altidore  is not scoring?
Don't know of it's a lack of confidence or lack of Premier League quality, but Altidore looking terrible.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: December 28, 2013, 07:32:22 PM »
Don't know of it's a lack of confidence or lack of Premier League quality, but Altidore looking terrible.

He playing in a real league. Goals don't come easy in henglad footie.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: January 01, 2014, 03:03:47 AM »

I think its a bit of both imho, he is not only not scoring he is now not holding up the ball, hitting players with simple passes (same as some of the team) but seems more interested in falling over and whinging to the ref about possible "soft fouls" you can see his head go down when it happens.  Personally think he needs to be taken out for a while but haven't got the numbers.

Villa at home today @ 3.00 a chance to get out of the bottom 3 if results go our way, will we take it - your guess is as good as mine and I suspect Poyet feels the same way.  We have signed Alonso (Fullback used to be at Bolton) on loan.

If your squinting can't read this, your head feeling like someone is tapping it with a hammer and a bit queasy you had too much last night, if your still pissed fair play to you. (Oh for youth again).  Hope everyone had a good one.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: January 02, 2014, 02:15:02 AM »
Beaten 1-0 might of well as been another OG after a Cattermole mistake, if that wasn't enough he tried his best to gift them another couple, didn't come out for the 2nd half.  Performance was better as much as I said we didn't deserve anything out of Cardiff, we didn't deserve to get beat in this one.  Had a goal disallowed for offside a very close decision and wouldn't of been surprised if it had been allowed after seeing the replay, but in our position you just don't get them.

A special mention to the ref who was hopeless today, lost control and made some strange decision, booked Gia for diving when obviously caught as the Villa player actually limped after the challenge, KI got elbowed (one of those you could look at either deliberate or accidental) but then booked Ki for complaining, Colback then got completely cleaned out (no foul) and then proceeded to push the player (by rules should of been sent off) he booked both.  We have had some poor obvious decisions go against us this season, but he was particularly poor today throughout the match.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: January 11, 2014, 01:55:32 AM »
Away to Fulham today @ 3.00, could do with 3 points but as usual haven't a clue which team will turn up.  Really need to get a couple of results against teams in the bottom half.  We are supposed to be signing the Argentinian CB Vergini, I haven't a clue what he is like but no doubt some on here will watch South American leagues.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: January 11, 2014, 05:03:41 PM »
4-1 today, so have given ourselves a lifeline, whether we will take it is a totally different matter.  For me it will depend on new players coming in.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: January 18, 2014, 01:33:39 AM »
Southampton at home today 12.45 KO.  An opportunity to build on last week, will they take it though or will they have an eye on Wednesday.  I wish I knew but with this team its the old Forest Gump joke about chocolates.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: January 18, 2014, 12:54:21 PM »
Got away with it again, very similar to Cardiff game, no surprises really.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: January 29, 2014, 09:47:39 AM »
Stoke at home tonight KO 7.45, its usually preferable to stick hot pins in your eyes than watch this match.  We are owed for this fixture for the ridiculous Brown sending off.  Still haven't a clue what will happen, we are also supposed to be signing Scocco (sp?) from Brazil.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: January 30, 2014, 09:14:36 AM »
Not a great performance but a 1-0 win is 3 much needed points.  Stoke had a man sent off for 2nd bookable offence, easy decision for the ref although Hughes disagrees.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3765 on: February 01, 2014, 02:15:22 AM »
Away to Newcastle today @ 12.45, deep breaths and blood and thunder time.  Not a clue what will happen.  We signed Bridcutt from Brighton who Poyet brought through there and Scocco from Brazil.  Have we done enough in Jan, I don't honestly know but suspect we needed more.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: February 01, 2014, 09:54:48 AM »
3-0 Out of bottom 3 played really well, can't ask for much more  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #3767 on: February 01, 2014, 10:02:46 AM »
Adam Johnson playing like a brand new man.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: February 01, 2014, 10:04:39 AM »
They did play pretty well today. Apparently they are inspired by the rivalry games.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: February 01, 2014, 10:10:50 AM »
Newcastle were abject.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: February 01, 2014, 12:04:29 PM »
Adam Johnson playing like a brand new man.
  :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sunderland's confident style is pleasing on the eye, says Dwight Yorke
« Reply #3771 on: February 02, 2014, 09:22:36 AM »
Sunderland's confident style is pleasing on the eye, says Dwight Yorke
By Dwight Yorke (Sky Sports)

Sunderland's Tyne-Wear derby win shows the turnaround in confidence Gus Poyet has installed, says Dwight Yorke.

Sunderland won their third derby victory on the trot in what was their successive 3-0 victory at St James' Park, to put them up to 14th in the Premier League before Sunday's fixtures - their highest position in the table all season.

Former Black Cats striker Dwight Yorke joined SNF Match Choice to analyse the game and told host Sarah-Jane Mee how impressed he's been with the confidence Gus Poyet has Sunderland playing with.

Yorke said: "I'm dead chuffed for Gus because I know him personally and he's done a remarkable job. I also have a relationship after playing with that football club for three years.

"It's great to see that turnaround and see the confidence that Sunderland are playing with. The players seem to buy in to what Gus is doing and it's made a big change.

"The fact that they have turned United over and got to the Capital One Cup final means there's a huge bit of confidence flying around there and more than anything else this 3-0 result against Newcastle - which I didn't see coming - goes to show the kind of confidence the players are playing with under Gus Poyet."

Experience

Saturday's win makes it three on bounce in the Premier League for the North East club and Adam Johnson, scorer of the second goal, made it nine in all competitions for the season; Yorke says it's great to see the former Man City winger playing so well.

He said: "There's always been a lot expected of Adam Johnson because he came with a big price tag and under Di Canio didn't seem to have done it, but under Gus Poyet it's like he's found his confidence, he's scoring, he's playing freely at the moment."

Defence

Yorke also highlighted his former Manchester United team mates Wes Brown and John O'Shea and the impact they've made with their defensive stability for the rest of the side to build on.

"We talk about their goal scoring opportunities and how they're playing nice football at the moment and scoring goals but the defensive pairing of Wes Brown and John O'Shea - both of them have been fantastic - they're two very experienced players and good friends off the pitch as well, which I think helps and you can throw Phil Bardsley in there as well, a sort of combination of Man United.

"In the last six games they've played they've managed to keep four clean sheets and as much as the goal scorers get the credit I think the defenders deserve it. It's something that had not been happening under Paulo Di Canio but is under Gus Poyet. It's pleasing on the eye as well."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: February 08, 2014, 04:50:45 AM »
Hull at home today @ 3.00, this sees the return of the much loved (on here anyway) Mr Bruce.  Don't know whats going to happen, past caring really as long as we get 3 points. 

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: February 08, 2014, 04:51:08 AM »
Newcastle were abject.

Weren't that good.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: February 09, 2014, 04:30:33 AM »
Old habits die hard, Brown sent off after 2/3 minutes after a mistake by Bardsley.  0-2 with some bad fixtures and a Cup Final coming up not great news, ah well onward.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: February 12, 2014, 06:07:51 AM »
Well after last nights games back in the bottom 3, with Man City away tonight, then Arsenal and Liverpool, not a lot of expectation with those then.  ;D

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: February 12, 2014, 12:56:01 PM »
City v Sunderland postponed due to weather conditions.
Victoria concordia crescit

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: February 22, 2014, 05:16:29 AM »
Away to Arsenal today @ 3.00.  Not a lot of expectation tbh, don't know what teams will turn up.  How tired Arsenal are from their midweek exploits and how we are going to turn up/out with the cup final against City next week.  It could be messy today.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: February 23, 2014, 02:48:29 AM »
Well got the answer, the one I was expecting the only surprise was it wasn't more messy than the 4-1.  More down to Arsenal than us it has to be said.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: February 28, 2014, 12:06:33 PM »
Well no prem game for us this weekend and a trip to Wembley.  A mixture of excitement and apprehension, don't know what to expect really, hope we win, suspect we might not, scared it could get very messy.  Just have to wait and see and enjoy the occasion.

1]; } ?>