April 18, 2024, 12:31:42 PM

Author Topic: W Connection edge Jabloteh to be crowned Caribbean Club Champions.  (Read 4269 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
W Connection edge Jabloteh to be crowned Caribbean Club Champions.
By: James Saunders (ttproleague).
[/size]

A clinical strike by midfielder Andrei Pacheco in the 11th minute proved to be enough for W Connection as they overcame local rivals San Juan Jabloteh 1-0 at the Mannie Ramjohn stadium to be crowned Caribbean Club champions.
The win for the Couva based club also means that they once again get the chance to compete in this year’s Concacaf Club Championship.
On a cool Sunday evening in the southern town of Marabella, it was Connection who first turned up the heat on a Jabloteh team missing a few regulars who struggled to get out of the blocks in a gritty game that saw eight yellow cards being shared amongst the teams.
As early as the 7th minute Stuart Charles Ferviers’ men signaled that they were out for the kill when Andre Toussaint hit a long range effort from the left that had keeper Brian James diving at full stretch.
Then came the strike that would prove to be the game decider, it was from a quick counterattack on the left side of the area Gefferson Goulart chipped the ball across the box for an unmarked Andrei Pacheco who collected with his first touch before slamming a shot past the outstretched palm of keeper James to make the score 1-0.
With their team holding onto the lead, Connection sought to keep possession executing some fluid passing moves often leaving Fenwick’s men thirsting for the ball.
On the other hand Jabloteh struggled to find any kind of rhythm and most time strikers Peter Prosper and Jason Marcano had to come too deep into their own half to get a touch on the ball.
In the 38th minute Keeper James would preserve his sides lead when he appeared to fly momentarily as he spectacularly sprung airborne to his right to hang unto a fierce curling Ronaldo Viana freekick that had a one way ticket to the back of the net.
James would come up big again in the 42nd minute when he bravely came off his line to punch away a dangerous Goulart cross from the right off the head of an intruding Toussaint to help keep his team in with a chance at the halfway point.
After the break the resilient custodian would again be called into action when in the 48th minute he had to come off his line to first deny Viana then Earl Jean on a follow up attempt.
The game then took a scrappy turn midway in the half with both teams creating too many unforced errors.
Jabloteh would then get their best and only real chance of the game in the 70th minute when Peter Prosper was gifted with a golden opportunity to equalize when he received a wayward back pass inside the Connection area and with only Jan Micheal Williams to beat the striker sent his toe poke agonizingly wide of the uprights to the dismay of his teammates.
Jan Micheal got another rare touch on the ball in the 78th minute when he alertly fisted away a low Lester Peltier cross from the right.
Despite Connection displaying some nerves in the closing few minutes that was to be the last real bit of action for the national custodian as his team held on to the final whistle to win by a slim 1-0 margin and become Caribbean Champions.

Teams:

W Connection:[/b] - Jan Michael Williams, William Oliveira (Brenton De Leon), Elijah Joseph, Ronaldo Viana, Earl Jean, Gefferson Goulart (Hughton Hector), Andre Toussaint (Kern Cupid), Nicholson Thomas, Andrei Pacheco, Devon Drayton, Christian Viveros.

Jabloteh: - Brian James, Karlon Murray, Lester Peltier, Trent Noel, Wendell Joseph (Aurtis Whitley), Jason Marcano, Ian Gray, Nigel Daniel (Glenton Wolfe), Marcelle Francois, Anthony Wolfe, Peter Prosper (Elton John).

W Connection  v Jabloteh

1  Goals 0
5  Shots on Target 2
5 Corners 10
1 Offsides 0
6 Yellow Cards 2
0 Red Cards 0
29  Fouls 27
A view from the stands.
By: Doc.

W Connections emerged victorious in a keenly contested final by 1 - 0. A first half goal was the decider.
From the outset, W Connections were clearly intent on imposing themselves on their northern guests, while Jabloteh were dogged in the quest to disrupt the fluid W Connection game. On 7 minutes, Toussaint found some space on the left side and cut back onto his right boot to fire overbars from 30 yards out. A few minutes later, Goulart got free on the right side and his cross found Pacheco free on the weak side where he controlled well and finished low into the far corner of the net. 1-0 to W Connections after 10 minutes. The referee was sharing yellow cards in an effort to keep a lid on the proceedings. Goulart, Viveros and Joseph began to controll the rhythm of the game as Jabloteh appeared content to get bodies behind the ball in a defensive posture. Their counter attacks were rendered ineffective by the wily W Connections defence anchored by Joseph. There weren't any further clear cut chances despite Connections having the better of the exchanges. The score at the half remained 1 - 0.
From the start of the second half, Wolfe was deployed further forward to partner Prosper and this gave some thrust to the Jabloteh's attack. Marcano began to use the resulting space in midfield well, and was instrumental in keeping W Connections on the back foot. Connections came close to scoring in the 52nd minute when Gray header from Goulart's free kick forced a diving save from James. The offside flag was up, so it would not have counted. Jabloteh brought Whitley in on 66 minutes for W. Joseph, and took his place in the center of the park. Jabloteh got the best chance of equalizing when Toussaint made an errant back pass that went by Drayton with Prosper beating everyone to the ball in the 18 yard box. With only the keeper to beat, he shot wide. Jabloteh continued to keep the pressure on W Connection with Peltier  and Whitley crossing from the right looking for the big frame of Prosper. They also forced several corners as they sought the elusive equalizer.
Elton John then entered the fray for a tiring Prosper at the 75th minute mark. One minute later, Hector replaced Goulart for Connections. John shortly after his arrival, pick up a ball just inside Connections half and tried a shot which sailed harmlessly wide. The parade of players continued as Cupid replaced Toussaint for Connections in the 82nd minute, then G. Wolfe replaced Daniel at left back for Jabloteh. B. DeLeon replaced Oliviera for Connections on 89 minutes. With 4 minutes added time, Connections were trying to kill the clock and doing so effectively. Hector showed a littly of his footwork when he to the ball into the corner and danced around Wolfe to the delight of the Connections supporters. Jabloteh were finally relieved of their agony as the referee blew his whistle.
This was indeed a game of 2 halves. W Connections firing the opening salvo and controlling the game, probing and looking for the key to unlocking the tight Jabloteh defence. The however, lost their way in the second half as Jabloteh refused to be repressed. They attacked very direct, and by pushing players further upfield, were able to wrest the initiative from W Connections.

W Connections: - J Williams, N Thomas, D Drayton, E Joseph, W Oliviera (B DeLeon 89'), C Viveros, R Viana, A Pacheco, J Goulart (H Hector 76'), A Toussaint (K Cupid 82'), E Jean (capt.)

Jabloteh: - B James, M Francois, I Gray, C Murray, N Daniel (G Wolfe 86'), W Joseph (A Whitley 66'), T Noel, J Marcano, A Wolfe, P Prosper (E John 75').
Samba preparation aided W Connection's CFU success says Oliviera.
[/size]

W Connection’s Brazilian standout William Oliviera Da Silva believes that the good fortunes of his club W Connection comes as a result of the team’s recent preparation in his homeland.
The fullback who has attracted a lot of attention for his speedy attacks down the flank just as much as his rugged never-say-die attitude in defence also credited his performance in the CFU final where his team edged rivals San Juan Jabloteh 1-0 to win the Caribbean Club Championship.
“I think that I had a good game tonight and that I’m playing well at the moment just trying to follow what the coach tells me to do”, Ollivera said.
The player further hinted that despite the attention he is receiving at the moment he plans to stay with his club.
“W Connection is my home I’m not going anywhere”, he assured.
Coach Stuart Charles Fervier in his analysis of the club's accomplishment praised the players for their cumulative effort and thanked them for the victory.
“I think that the guys stuck to the plan and played a good tactical game where we kept possession and moved the ball quickly and that’s why we won” the coach pointed out.
“Coming up against Jabloteh who play a very rough game it’s always difficult but the guys showed good nerve and concentration which is something we are working on” he said.
“I must also give credit to players like Andre Toussaint and William Da Silva Oliviera who really gave good performances in the group stages but I believe that we were not a one man team and that all the players contributed to the success we have achieved tonight”.
The St Lucian born coach ended by saying that his teams next step is to go out and represent Trinidad and Tobago and the entire region in the best way possible.
Fenwick takes CFU defeat in stride.
[/size]

CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh’s Head Coach Terry Fenwick says he is not overly disappointed with his team, despite his side lost to local rivals W Connection in the Club Championship final on Sunday evening.
According to the Englishman, in a post match interview with ttproleague.com, his club did little wrong besides the mistake that cost them the goal.
“Of course we wanted to win so in that sense I’m disappointed, but the guys fought hard and dominated the second half of the game, however unfortunately it just wasn’t our night.”
When questioned why experienced World Cup midfielder Aurtis Whitley was left on the bench until late in the second half, Fenwick said that the player was not playing up to the level required of the team.
“I don’t pick my team on name or because of who you are or if you represented your country, I pick players on performance and right now there are players who are putting in the hard work and deserve their chance to start.”
Fenwick further cited that despite the absence of some of his regular starters like goalkeeper Duarance Williams and World Cup defender Cyd Gray his team was not under strength.
“I must give credit to youngsters like Jason Marcano, Karlon Murray and Lester Peltier who have been given opportunities and have performed remarkably well. The youngsters have stood up big time for the club so to them we are grateful and we will continue to give them our support, and while we were unable to pull off a victory here in the Caribbean club championships, their performance augurs well for the upcoming season,” ended the former English international.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Re: W Connection edge Jabloteh to be crowned Caribbean Club Champions.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 02:35:53 PM »
Congrats to WC :applause: the better prepared team won  :beermug:

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 06:50:53 PM »
Fenwick takes CFU defeat in stride.

CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh’s Head Coach Terry Fenwick says he is not overly disappointed with his team, despite his side lost to local rivals W Connection in the Club Championship final on Sunday evening.
According to the Englishman, in a post match interview with ttproleague.com, his club did little wrong besides the mistake that cost them the goal.
“Of course we wanted to win so in that sense I’m disappointed, but the guys fought hard and dominated the second half of the game, however unfortunately it just wasn’t our night.”
When questioned why experienced World Cup midfielder Aurtis Whitley was left on the bench until late in the second half, Fenwick said that the player was not playing up to the level required of the team.
“I don’t pick my team on name or because of who you are or if you represented your country, I pick players on performance and right now there are players who are putting in the hard work and deserve their chance to start.”
Fenwick further cited that despite the absence of some of his regular starters like goalkeeper Duarance Williams and World Cup defender Cyd Gray his team was not under strength.
“I must give credit to youngsters like Jason Marcano, Karlon Murray and Lester Peltier who have been given opportunities and have performed remarkably well. The youngsters have stood up big time for the club so to them we are grateful and we will continue to give them our support, and while we were unable to pull off a victory here in the Caribbean club championships, their performance augurs well for the upcoming season,” ended the former English international.

So after all he commess he team not even going !!.. :rotfl:
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 07:19:08 PM »
Referees announced for 2007 Champions’ Cup Quarterfinals

13.02.2007: Marabella, TRINIDAD & TOBAGO; Manny Ramjohn Stadium (20:05)

W CONNECTION FC (TRI) – CD GUADALAJARA (MEX)
R: Courtney CAMPBELL (JAM)
A1: Lyndon BURTON (TRI)
A2: Mentor BAPTISTE (TRI)
FO: Richard PIPER (TRI)

28.02.2007: Guadalajara, Jalisco MEXICO; Jalisco Stadium (20:45)
CD GUADALAJARA (MEX) – W CONNECTION FC (TRI)
R: Jose PINEDA (HON)
A1: Pedro REBOLLAR (MEX)
A2: Marvin TORRENTERA (MEX)
FO: Roberto GARCIA (MEX)

Could this be a mistake to have officials from the same country ref a match... ;)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 07:21:41 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Jay10

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 09:55:39 PM »
Referees announced for 2007 Champions’ Cup Quarterfinals

13.02.2007: Marabella, TRINIDAD & TOBAGO; Manny Ramjohn Stadium (20:05)

W CONNECTION FC (TRI) – CD GUADALAJARA (MEX)
R: Courtney CAMPBELL (JAM)
A1: Lyndon BURTON (TRI)
A2: Mentor BAPTISTE (TRI)
FO: Richard PIPER (TRI)

28.02.2007: Guadalajara, Jalisco MEXICO; Jalisco Stadium (20:45)
CD GUADALAJARA (MEX) – W CONNECTION FC (TRI)
R: Jose PINEDA (HON)
A1: Pedro REBOLLAR (MEX)
A2: Marvin TORRENTERA (MEX)
FO: Roberto GARCIA (MEX)

Could this be a mistake to have officials from the same country ref a match... ;)

CONCACAF does real cut costs......wonder where all that excess money going?? ??? :devil:

1]; } ?>