Who will win.

Chivas
4 (16%)
W Connection
20 (80%)
Tie
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Connection ready to defend T&T Pro League.  (Read 8718 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Connection ready to defend T&T Pro League.
« on: February 11, 2007, 07:55:11 AM »
Connection ready to defend T&T Pro League.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

Trinidad and Tobago national coach Wim Rijsbergen, like his Dutch predecessor and former boss Leo Beenhakker, has done little to ingratiate himself with his T&T Pro League counterparts.
Another emphatic defeat for the "Soca Warriors"-the national outfit fell 4-0 away to Costa Rica on February 4-brought a trademark snipe at the quality of the local game by Rijsbergen.
"I don't know if a lot of these players can make the next step," the ex-Holland international told the Express. "It was not a hard game... You see the level these players come from, and the big problem they have in coming up to the next level.
"We need to look at the Pro League. If they drop back in the same speed and the same level in the Pro League, they will probably never make the difference."
Vibe CT105 W Connection coach Stuart Charles-Fevrier, for one, did not appreciate the negative sentiments.
"The Pro League has taken a bold, progressive step in trying to take football forward," said Fevrier, "by allowing players, coaches and administrators to be involved in the sport full-time, which is very positive. Why would anyone want to degrade that?"
Connection, the 2005 Pro League champions, will hope to give a more tangible retort on Tuesday night when they host Mexican club, Chivas Guadalajara, at Marabella's Manny Ramjohn Stadium in the first of a two-leg series in the 2007 CONCACAF Club Championship.
Word that the south Trinidad-based outfit will be the country's flag bearers might provoke snickers in some quarters-not least by two other imported national coaches, Scotsman Ian Porterfield and Brazilian Rene Simoes.
Porterfield and his successor, Simoes, moaned about Connection's penchant for packing their team with expatriates at the start of the century. But Fevrier pointed out that the club have made great strides towards shedding their image as bulk shoppers in South America.
The Brazilian duo of playmaker Gefferson Goulart (29) and left back William Oliviera (22) and combative Colombian midfielder Christian Viveros are likely to feature on Tuesday, while the St Lucian pair of team captain Earl Jean (35) and Elijah Joseph (31) complete the foreign element of the first team.
"We are really excited about this (present) team because half the team is young and from our youth programme," said the St Lucia-born coach.
Connection should start six Trinidad and Tobago players against Guadalajara. Right back Nicholson Thomas is the oldest of the lot at just 24 while goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams (22), stopper Devon Drayton (20), striker Dwight Scott (22) and midfielders Andrei Pacheco (22) and Hughton Hector (22) complete the likely starting line-up.
Forward Andre Toussaint (25), who is recovering from injury, and attacker Brenton De Leon (22) would hope for playing time off the substitutes' bench.
Spare a thought, too, for the injured midfield duo of Silvio Spann and Clyde De Leon who already wore red, white and black shirts.
"When we started, most of the (other) clubs already had the best local players," said club owner, David J Williams, who is not related to his young goalkeeper, "so we had to go abroad (for players) to compete. But we also started our youth programme and you are now seeing the benefit of that."
Williams (J-M), an international regular for Rijsbergen and one of the club's two vice-captains and the 2006 Pro League Player of the Year, is the pick of the bunch at present and will soon have another chance to enhance his reputation.
Guadalajara, who thrashed Boca Juniors 4-0 two years ago for the first of consecutive top four finishes in the Copa Libertadores-South America's answer to Europe's Champions League-are considered Mexico's figurehead club and should play a refined version of the fluent, short passing game that terrorised Rijsbergen's troops in Costa Rica. But Fevrier is not scared.
Four years ago, Connection led another powerful Mexican club, Toluca, 2-0 by the halfway mark before his team choked in the high altitude-45 minutes west of Mexico City-and succumbed 3-2, while the second leg finished 3-3 in Marabella.
"We can play just as well as these teams," said the Connection coach. "The main difference is that we tend to make more mistakes than they do. The key is to concentrate well and eliminate silly errors."
Mexican teams have held the CONCACAF club trophy 20 times from its 37 editions while no Caribbean team advanced past the quarterfinal stage in 16 years. But Trinidad and Tobago clubs are still far from cannon fodder.
Defence Force remain the only club from the English-speaking Caribbean to win the title, which they managed in 1985, but the army/coast guard unit were also losing finalists in 1988, while only a coin toss denied them a spot in the 1978 finals.
Another government service team, Police, were the last local squad to appear in the CONCACAF Club Championship finals, which they did in 1991.
A positive result for Connection on Tuesday would be a sizable step towards emulating the great Trinidad and Tobago teams of yesteryear. It would be a timely remainder of the quality of the local game to a certain Dutchman as well.
The Mexicans are here...and ready for Connection.
By: Joel Villafana (ttproleague).
[/size]

Mexican Club Champions Chivas are here and are eager to get the show on the road. The Mexican champion club arrived at the Piarco International Airport just about 9.35 A.M. on Sunday morning ahead of their first leg clash against Trinidad and Tobago’s vibe ct 105 W Connection in the CONCACAF champions cup quarter final round.
The two teams will meet on Tuesday at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella from 8 p.m. before they head to Mexico for the return leg of the home and away series on February 28.
Chivas boasts of having six Mexican national players, in their squad, and according to head coach Jose Manuel De Latorre, who was speaking through a translator, he said the entire squad is Mexican.
“The entire team are all Mexican nationals, we have no foreigners and there are at least about six of our players on the national team,” confirmed the Chivas Head Coach.
“We are well prepared for this encounter and we are eager and ready to get things going,” like his opposite number Stuart Charles Fervier, the Mexican coach admitted he does not know much about W Connection.
“We don’t know much about W Connection, but we have seen some video on them and we were able to see their style of play.”
“I am confident in my team’s ability and I know they will do their best and I believe we can come here and get a positive result ahead of the return match in Mexico,” said the champion Mexican coach.
This will be the first time W Connection will meet Chivas, the Pro League giants met Mexican opposition back in 2004 when they faced Toluca FC, where they battled to a 3-3 draw at home only to be beaten 3-2 in Mexico.
W Connection were recently crowned Caribbean Club Champions after defeating local rivals San Juan Jabloteh 1-0 in the finals, and booked their place among CONCACAF finest club teams in 2007.
Chivas however, has a proud history at the CONCACAF Champions Cup, having appeared five times in the tournament, and boasts of being crowned the first ever CONCACAF club champions back in 1962, their last appearance in the competition was back in 1997 where they were kicked out at the semi-final stage.
Chivas qualified for the 2007 tournament, by winning the 2006 Mexican league, and the Jose Manuel De La Torre coached team is the most successful Mexican club team having won the national league eleven times, the most by any Mexican team.

Mexicans arrive at the Piarco International Airport
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 12:41:08 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Connection ready to defend T&T Pro League.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 10:30:15 AM »
Honestly I 100% agree with Connection coach...why would someone want to degrade that??? If he find is a problem then help fix it or go somewhere else mister bigshot Wim...If that so unbearable then leave...its that simple because he being such a great coach must have nations lining up to sign him...Look USA needed a coach...why not call Wim? ...Obviously other footballing nations would have better leagues...Any alive person could know that...If you was so concerned about the T&T then try to help fix the problem....Don't just quarrel about it and do nothing....Be the coach that changed the structure or helped improve a Nation!!! That is Greatness...Not sitting down on your big lazy  getting paid-alot-for-noting ass and bad talking everybody and everything...He doesn't care about our football and I will always say that....He just using T&T (trying to get some semi-decent results) to get a bigger contract...Simple....TTFF should have invested that money that they paying this shitsnake with and help develop some young willing coaches, or build a better youth system and or a improve the PFL...We always feel bringing these guys will improve our football...These fellas does just bring tactics and if our players cannot adapt 'they not good'....Wim is a shithound coach ...if he wasn't he would have been coaching some bigger country....Go T&T

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 03:05:53 AM »
 I AGREE ,we need to be very careful about the agendas of those we choose to coach our teams ,as larry romany says wim should have set up a meeting with the PFL officials and coaches and give them his opinion on how the league and by extension trinbagos football could improve.WIM like any international coach is studying his reputation, and win loss ratio on which he would be judged.It was important for us after the world cup to develop our game from the ground level up.our world cup win was an aberation ,a bonus ,a blessing from god.what lincoln phillips and others were trying to say is that this thing is not about the soca warriors only ,but about developing our football.coaches like rene simoes seemed to understand this .as far as beenhacker and wim are concerned they are not here to develop our football but to win with our national team .this is the problem.we have thrown away our locals who would be working with the local players and taking abuse .we need to think ove rthe situation and decide what our football really needs at this time.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 03:08:58 AM by fatman »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 05:40:32 AM »
You guys do understand the difference between coaching the team and developing T&T's football right?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 12:06:54 PM »
 palos at this stage in our development te two cannot be seperated admittedly wim has a job to do but he also has to be working in the best interest of trinidad football while doing that job.i am not anti wim but i am merely stating the level of involvement we need at this time .when simoes left jamaica they had improved in several age groups we are not a brazil or germany ,we need a approach that suits our needs .any coach who is in charge of our team right now needs to understand this and there are coaches who would.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 12:21:21 PM »
palos at this stage in our development te two cannot be seperated admittedly wim has a job to do but he also has to be working in the best interest of trinidad football while doing that job.i am not anti wim but i am merely stating the level of involvement we need at this time .when simoes left jamaica they had improved in several age groups we are not a brazil or germany ,we need a approach that suits our needs .any coach who is in charge of our team right now needs to understand this and there are coaches who would.

Yes ah hear what yuh sayin but somebody has to involve Wim. People expecting Wim to take some kind of initiative and go about developing football. It cannot work like that. Wim is just the national coach not the TD.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 01:27:51 PM »

in the interview the lady said that only Mexican Citizens are allowed to play for the team.

I checked their squad and it look like is true.  This hadda be a club policy....how many of the other clubs have the same policy?

Offline Unionfc

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
    • USCHIVAS.COM
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 07:32:08 PM »

in the interview the lady said that only Mexican Citizens are allowed to play for the team.

I checked their squad and it look like is true.  This hadda be a club policy....how many of the other clubs have the same policy?

only Athletic Bilbao from La Liga.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 07:41:48 PM »

Breds....in both the Jamaica & T&T situations, if I not mistaken, Simoes was hired FIRST as TD and THEN subsequently took over the Head Coaching job.  I know that was the case with T&T for sure as Porterfield was coach when Simoes was hired as TD and then after we lost to USA in Foxboro, Simoes tek over de Head Coach duties when Porters resign/was fired.   Simoes had a dual portfolio.

I have seen no official announcement indicating a similar duality of Coach Rijsebergen's responsibilities with T&T.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 09:27:12 PM by palos »

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 09:04:22 PM »
i agree with palos there is a differnce with the coaching and development,the development may be good but all the wim said they not ready for the next level.
football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 06:47:17 AM »
 Development and coaching is different but they can compliment each other...If he was really concerned he would have tried to aid development in whatever way he could or suggest...He could have even request money for helping develop the league...The man is a goat, because I telling yuh if I was a coach and I got a chance to develop an entire nation I would certainly do it...The only how a person would not try to help is if he doesn't care about anything...Nobody can't sit there and say T&T don't have talent ! The talent is there, the development structure is not, as soon as all clubs could build decent youth systems and have a league fitness standard(something I suggesting long time) we will see the drastic improvement...Go T&T

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 06:57:12 AM »
He could have even request money for helping develop the league...

:rotfl: you suggesting wim do that
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 07:36:31 AM »

Breds....in both the Jamaica & T&T situations, if I not mistaken, Simoes was hired FIRST as TD and THEN subsequently took over the Head Coaching job.  I know that was the case with T&T for sure as Porterfield was coach when Simoes was hired as TD and then after we lost to USA in Foxboro, Simoes tek over de Head Coach duties when Porters resign/was fired.   Simoes had a dual portfolio.

I have seen no official announcement indicating a similar duality of Coach Rijsebergen's responsibilities with T&T.
Wim is the de facto Technical director and as such has some responsibility if not full responsibility. :devil:
Live large and prosper!

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 08:08:26 AM »
You guys do understand the difference between coaching the team and developing T&T's football right?
:devil:

Yeh Palos, but this man in charge of all kinda thing in we football , jus check the terms of reference when we hire him.
In charge of all national teams , decide the wuk LP have and all kinda thing.
De fella is ah goat dat feed off ah Beenie .
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 08:20:39 AM »
 no one is blaming wim ,surely alot of the blame lies with who selected him and indeed the terms of refrence he was given.as ponnoxx allude to the true test of a persons competence is his wisdom which also dictates how and if he is able to adapt to a situation.i have had discussions with international coaches in several sports about situations like this. wim is not handling this situation sensibly.if he is to be our coach for the next four years he has no choice but to try to develop the best of what we have to make his job easier in the future .even if it means by world cup qualifying he gets two role players.to prove my point prior to beenhackers arrival how many trinbagonians thought that otis seaton and the current digicel captain denzil theobold would have been world cup starters.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 08:22:58 AM by fatman »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 08:58:41 AM »

Breds....in both the Jamaica & T&T situations, if I not mistaken, Simoes was hired FIRST as TD and THEN subsequently took over the Head Coaching job.  I know that was the case with T&T for sure as Porterfield was coach when Simoes was hired as TD and then after we lost to USA in Foxboro, Simoes tek over de Head Coach duties when Porters resign/was fired.   Simoes had a dual portfolio.

Wim is the de facto Technical director and as such has some responsibility if not full responsibility. :devil:

This is based on?

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 09:22:43 AM »

This is based on?

Basedon my reading of Wim's proposal that was accepted by the TTFF at the time of his appointment.
Live large and prosper!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 10:03:31 AM »
:devil:

Yeh Palos, but this man in charge of all kinda thing in we football , jus check the terms of reference when we hire him.
In charge of all national teams , decide the wuk LP have and all kinda thing.
De fella is ah goat dat feed off ah Beenie .

At a national level he  responsible all national team not grass roots LP responsible duh grass roots level eg getting coaches certified etc etc...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 10:09:07 AM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 10:37:01 AM »
Development and coaching is different but they can compliment each other...If he was really concerned he would have tried to aid development in whatever way he could or suggest...He could have even request money for helping develop the league...The man is a goat, because I telling yuh if I was a coach and I got a chance to develop an entire nation I would certainly do it...The only how a person would not try to help is if he doesn't care about anything...Nobody can't sit there and say T&T don't have talent ! The talent is there, the development structure is not, as soon as all clubs could build decent youth systems and have a league fitness standard(something I suggesting long time) we will see the drastic improvement...Go T&T

The coach was hired as a head coach not a Technical Director. He's not directly responsible for coaching and player development within the leagues of the country. Someone else has that responsibility. That doesn't make him any less of a coach or that he doesn't care. If you understand football you would know that. For example Alex Ferguson is manager of Man. Utd ...do you think he developed Becks, Giggs, G. Neville, Nicky Butt, Wes Brown, John  O' shea? ???
"I love to see my people living in love, hate to see dem fighting and swimming in blood."

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 01:26:57 PM »
 warlord you cannot compare manchester united to trinidad and tobago.further more any coach worth his salt must comprehend the system he is in no one can blame wim persay but is his attitude what we need to improve our football.we know a national coach is not technical director but if you come to trinida and tobago assess our situation and then declare local players not ready and you doh display an active interest in what is going on in the nations football .you are certainly not what we need whether you take us to world cup or not ,we are not disputing that what you said does not have substance ,but do you as a coach have substance

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 02:03:55 PM »
I fed-up with all this bullshyte talk.  Next time Wim call a national training, I going and ask the man some personal questions about the league, he mandate and responsibility to the nation.

I will get back to allyuh on that.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 09:06:46 PM »
Latest news. Mexican players in mad rush to sign contracts in T&T Pro league.  ;D   :rotfl: :rotfl:
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

1]; } ?>