April 23, 2024, 08:46:11 PM

Author Topic: Browne leads T&T at World Cup  (Read 3008 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Browne leads T&T at World Cup
« on: February 04, 2007, 08:26:17 AM »
Browne leads T&T at World Cup
By Walter Alibey (Trinidad Newsday)

Kwandwayne Browne has been named captain of the Trinidad and Tobago team for the Samsung Indoor World Hockey Championship in Vienna, Austria this month.

Browne whose ongoing row with team coach David Francois almost ruined the team’s preparation was selected in a 14-man team currently in Germany.

The team was selected by a panel which comprised the newly appointed German technical director, coach Francois, manager Jason Thomas and physiotherapist Shawn Marshall. However hockey clubs are still not convinced that the 14-man team is the strongest to represent TT at the World Cup. One official said the team is without three of the country’s strongest players.

They include Dean Neaves and Raphael Govia of Queen’s Park and Brian Garcia who has since returned to England where he is studying and playing hockey.

Neaves and Govia, who were picked to travel with the team to Germany for a number of warm-up matches, before going to the World Cup, pulled out after refusing to play under coach Francois. Garcia meanwhile had made a decision not to play under the controversial coach three years ago, immediately took a flight back to Europe after the hockey board refused to remove Francois as coach after a meeting with the clubs.

The players selected for the Indoor World Cup are goalkeepers Brian Lee Chow and Ron Alexander; Akim Toussaint, Alan Young, Solomon Eccles, Wayne Leggerton, Nicholas Wren, Dwain Quan Chan, Keil Murray, Anthony Marcano and Mickel Pierre.

Two reserves — Allan Henderson and Damian Gordon— were also selected to travel with the team to Vienna.

Trinidad and Tobago who were involved in three warm-up matches in Germany last week, have been drawn in Group “A” along with world number one Germany, fourth ranked Russia, Australia, Czech Republic and Switzerland.

They open against the Germans at the Stadthalle in Vienna on Wednesday, February 14 and will face the Russians in the second match at the same venue later that evening.

They play their third match of the tournament on February 15 when they come up against Switzerland before they focus on Australian in their fourth match later.

Trinidad and Tobago will conclude their campaign the day after (February 16) when they come up against the Czech Republic. Twelve countries will compete in the tournament including Canada who have been pooled in Group “B” with the home team Austria, Italy, Poland, South Africa and Spain.

In Group “A” are Australia, Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, Scotland and Ukraine.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
Re: Browne leads T&T at World Cup
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 09:12:37 AM »
Hardluck yuh ent make the final 12 Dwolfman  :)
enjoy your trip to Germany and all de best to the team  :beermug:
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 09:20:49 AM »
DG keep yuh head up..we backing all yuh from down here.....

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 11:32:30 PM »
The reserves are travelling with the team so I'm still around. No complaints so far. This was easily the most competitive team I've tried to make and I think the best 12 will be representing us.

In Vienna now and finally able to get on the net.  ;D Hopefully I can keep you guys up to date. Got to run though, it's breakfast time.

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 07:52:51 AM »
The reserves are travelling with the team so I'm still around. No complaints so far. This was easily the most competitive team I've tried to make and I think the best 12 will be representing us.

In Vienna now and finally able to get on the net.  ;D Hopefully I can keep you guys up to date. Got to run though, it's breakfast time.

niceness....yuh could gape at women now at yuh convenience and doh feel ahow at all... ;D

how's de german coach....is he capable?

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »
Even though I am not playing I am still here for hockey so on the record I will not talk about women. I am a serious athlete.

Okay, well since it's you guys... there is a cute Italian, a couple cute Canadians and two cute South Africans. Those are who we've seen in the hotel. Also in the hotel are the South African men, Russian men, Czech Rep. men, Italian men and German men. We've attracted some of the usual attention where we are expected to be the party team, the entertainers, but we intend to be more than that.

Two more days until we play the Germans. We are looking forward to it. More to come from me later.

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 03:01:18 PM »
Even though I am not playing I am still here for hockey so on the record I will not talk about women. I am a serious athlete.
:rotfl: so off de record yuh real gaping den....get on....

dey have dis half chinee half white girl playing for Canada(name: Emily Rix)...dat girl sweet fuh days, and she is de best player on dat team by far......what more yuh want in a woman  ;D

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 04:00:06 PM »
relevant link for the competition:

http://www.samsungindoorworldcup.sportcentric.com/

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 05:33:39 PM »
I see some of us have voted for T&T to take the crown ... and why not ...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 09:33:32 PM »
dey have dis half chinee half white girl playing for Canada(name: Emily Rix)...dat girl sweet fuh days, and she is de best player on dat team by far......what more yuh want in a woman  ;D

She mus be does look REAL GOOD in person.  ???

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 10:09:56 PM »
wayz...check internet stalkers  ;D.....

to be fair to her that's a bad pic....or maybe i biased towards hockey players and relative to all de other girls she stands out....

anyways here's a so so pic of her....:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 10:55:00 PM by lickslikefire »

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 10:57:40 PM »
She does look better than that first pic suggests.  :) And no, I am not gaping, I am merely observing the sites of the World Cup.

http://www.samsungindoorworldcup.sportcentric.com/ I am not sure how quickly they update and there's only one computer here in this hotel so during the day using it will be out of the question.

Today is the big day. I know the guys are nervous, Kwan was up very early for example. Breakfast in half an hour and transport leaves an hour and 45 minutes. The other reserve, Alan, and I have camera duty so we'll be moving on our own schedule to get down to the court and set up. Even for us we're nervous and excited. It's true what the coach was saying... a World Cup is a World Cup, regardless of the sport and that it's indoor.

I'll try to keep you guys informed as best as I can.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 10:59:43 PM by dwolfman »

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 10:08:35 AM »
source: http://www.samsungindoorworldcup.sportcentric.com/vsite/vcontent/content/transnews/0,10869,5162-180412-19728-40052-266863-16525-5206-layout75-197630-news-item,00.html

"Men Pool A – Germany 9 defeated Trinidad & Tobago 2

In the opening game between Germany and Trinidad & Tobago, Germany monopolized the ball in the first few minutes, but it was T&T that scored the first goal after a solitary effort from their star Kwan BROWNE who lobbed the ball over the sliding keeper from a difficult angle! Germany had trouble settling down their game and it is only in the 12th minute that they managed to tie the score.

Trinidad & Tobago held their ground well and, with the German shots not finding the target, the score was only 4-1 for Germany at half-time.

Germany didn’t display the expected fluidity and efficiency (even missing a penalty stroke) and only increased the score slowly, finally gaining momentum in the last minutes to reach a final score of 9-2. A good performance to the credit of T&T, well organized around Kwan BROWNE."

before men talk about dis game:....N.B. Germany has never ever lost an official indoor game/friendly before last year(to poland i believe)...so 9-2 is not a horrible score.....there club teams is beat other country national teams easy easy.....we'll see how competitive this T&T team is when they play Russia.....

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 12:07:52 PM »
T&T loses to Russia by the same score 2:9

After 2 games played

Group A

Germany 2-0-0  6 +8
Russia 1-0-1  3 +3
Australia 1-0-1 3 +3
Czech 1-0-1 3 +1
Switzerland 1-0-1 3 -1