April 20, 2024, 09:50:52 AM

Author Topic: W Connection off to Mexico...hoping to create history.  (Read 16653 times)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
W Connection off to Mexico...hoping to create history.
« on: February 19, 2007, 08:52:18 PM »
W Connection off to Mexico.
...hoping to create history.
By: Joel Villafana (ttproleague).
[/size]

In the heights of the 2007 Carnival festivities, a disciplined bunch of footballers from Couva left all the thrills and excitement behind, seeking to create history.
The 2007 TT Pro League runners-up Vibe CT 105 W Connection departed the Piarco International Airport just after 6 a.m. on Carnival Monday morning full of confidence in their chances to move past the quarter final round of CONCACAF Champions Cup for the first time in their club’s history.
W Connection are scheduled to face Mexican Champions Chivas in the second leg of the CONCACAF Champions Cup quarter final round on February 28.
The ‘Savonetta Boys’ brought joy to home fans last Tuesday when they rose above all expectations to defeat the Mexican champions Chivas 2-1 at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium in the first leg of the home and away quarter final tie.
Looking ahead to the return leg, Club President David John Williams called it the biggest game in his club’s seven-year history.
Speaking to ‘ttproleague.com’, Mr. John Williams said, “This is no doubt our biggest game thus far, I see it as the most important game in the club’s history, we have a real chance of moving on to the semifinals of the tournament and becoming one of the top four teams in CONCACAF in 2007.”
The W Connection owner continued, “Not only is this game important for us, but I believe it is very important for the TT Pro League and Trinidad and Tobago’s football, this is an opportunity to show the world that we have a quality professional league in Trinidad and Tobago and we are capable of producing players to compete at the highest international standard.”
He confirmed the team trained up until Sunday night, before leaving for Mexico on Monday morning and said everyone in the camp was in high spirits.
“The guys are all upbeat, the sprit in the camp is high, and they have an opportunity to get into Mexico nine days ahead of the match, so they can properly acclimatize to conditions.”
Williams reflected on his team’s battle with Toluca, another top Mexican club back in 2003 in the CONCACAF Champions Cup where W Connection were edged out at the quarter final stage, having lost 3-2 in Mexico, and was only able to pull off a 3-3 draw at home.
However, David John Williams says a lot is different this time around, “First to begin with this time we played our home game first, and we are traveling to Mexico with an advantage. Another important factor is that this time the game in Mexico is not at high altitude as it was back then,” and while he admits his squad in 2004 was a much more experienced bunch, he strongly believes his crop of young players has what it takes to get the required results.
He told ‘ttproleague.com’, in no uncertain terms, “Most definitely, I am very confident that the boys can pull off the result we need, coming off the performance in the first leg where we played 71 minutes with 10 men and only committed three fouls, it shows the level at which the team is currently performing, and I am expecting nothing less than the required result to propel us through to the semi-finals.”
Pro League teams throw full support behind W Connection.
By: Vinod Narwani (ttproleague.com).
[/size]

TT Pro League powerhouses Vibe CT 105 W Connection have received full support from United Petrotrin head coach Brian Williams and North East Stars President Darryl Mahabir ahead of their return leg quarterfinal clash against Mexican powerhouses Chivas in the CONCACAF Champions Cup.
Connection, who beat Chivas 2-1 in the first leg at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium, left for Mexico on Carnival Monday to prepare for the crucial encounter against their opponents on February 28.
Looking back at Connection’s opening triumph over the Mexican giants Williams believes it’s a sign of good things to come for the TT Pro League.
“Every bona fide football fan who has an interest in the Pro League will see that it was a good victory for the sake of the league on the whole,” said Williams.
“It was good to see a local side being competitive against Chivas and getting that type of result. It was a great victory for Caribbean football, and the Pro League teams can only build from here on, as it will give all of us that sort of firepower to emulate such a feat, as we aim to raise the standard of football in Trinidad and Tobago.”
The former Strike Squad defender was however; quick to add that the return leg was going to be tough for the ‘Savonetta Boys’, but he admitted the Couva-based side could reach the semi-final stage of the prestigious CONCACAF club tournament once they remain focused.
“Going out to Mexico is going to be pretty difficult for Connection, but they must play the game according to the situation as they try to qualify for the next round.”
“W Connection only need a draw out there, but I am not suggesting that they must go out there and play a totally defensive game. If Connection apply themselves properly, concentrate and be disciplined in their approach, they can pull off the necessary result,” said the National Under-20 Coach.
Even though Connection and United Petrotrin are archrivals at local level, Williams gave the Earl Jean-led side his full backing to bring glory to the people of Trinidad and Tobago.
“W Connection are going there to represent T&T which means all our support at that level is needed. They have achieved a lot in such a short space of time in Trinidad and Tobago football, so we must give Connection our support and hope they do well… at the end of the day it’s all about country.”
Darryl Mahabir was also full of praise for W Connection, stating that a victory for the club augurs well for the TT Pro League on the whole.
“We at North East Stars will give our support to W Connection based on the fact they are one of the top clubs in the country, and we expect that they would pull off a win in Mexico,” said Mahabir.
“The clubs in the TT Pro League would expect to be given a big boost if W Connection wins, because it would show that the level of football that we play in Trinidad and Tobago can match that of other countries in the world.”
Mahabir felt that Connection’s participation in Mexico in the CONCACAF Champions Cup four years ago when they played Toluca could come in handy for the upcoming clash.
Connection went under 3-2 to Toluca on that occasion in their quarterfinal round of 16; the Mexicans eventually went on to win the competition.
Mahabir said, “Their past experience in Mexico should give them a little knowledge as to how they must go about their business across there.”
“I think they are playing great football at this time, and I think once they continue playing the game they are accustomed to, they stand a good chance of overcoming the Mexicans,” ended Mahabir.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 04:56:35 AM by Flex »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: W Connection off to Mexico...hoping to create history
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 09:05:15 PM »
Ah hope they give them ticos ah good cut tail and send them back to mommy crying lol. good luck it go be a tough game
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 09:06:44 PM »
Bravo Connection. Throw it in dey face......'

'bout pro-league standard no good and players have "bad habits" and only overseas based professionals good and etc,etc,etc............ :rotfl:

Kill dem in Mexico, dem Mexican eh want nutten wit Trini ball.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 09:11:08 PM »
Good going boys.... Good luck in Mexico....... :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 09:11:23 PM »
Ah hope they give them ticos ah good cut tail and send them back to mommy crying lol. good luck it go be a tough game

aren't ticos from costa rica?

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 09:14:41 PM »

aren't ticos from costa rica?

Yup they are............

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 09:21:59 PM »
Mexico = El Tri (for Tricolor because of their three tone flag). For us, jess wetbacks  ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 09:37:39 PM by dreamer »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 09:30:11 PM »
ah get carried away there mixin up meh countries lol. but none d less they gettin a cut tail come d 28th
Youtube Channel

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 09:46:56 PM »
We here will definitely love W Connection tuh get ah result, dat will make dem de winner of dis home and away games. Plain talk bad manners, as de older folks does say, we will be surprised if they get de result dey need doh, cuz national teams does catch dey ass tuh beat Mexico in Mexico. De club teams ah believe is de same damn pressure. However, good luck and blessings tuh W Connection. HIGHLY BLESSED.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 10:01:30 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 11:00:27 PM »
  CONNECTION WE WANT AH GOAL!  :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel:

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 12:43:58 AM »
Good luck to Connection in the return leg at jalisco stadium. They will not bunker and play for a draw. I know they will get a good result because they will attack the goats but play smart football.

Another good thing is that they are going 9 days ahead of match day. They will be ready and focused for the task at hand.  :bringiton:
"I love to see my people living in love, hate to see dem fighting and swimming in blood."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 04:51:30 AM »
        GO CONNECTION!!!......       
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: W Connection off to Mexico...hoping to create history.
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 06:21:53 AM »
According to the Fox Soccer Channel they bringing the game:

Wed.    Feb. 28    Chivas (MEX)    W Connection (TRI)    9:30 p.m.

Source: http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6396732
Midway down the page.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 07:09:54 AM »

Midway down the page.
Remember d time change so is 10:30pm Trinidad time
Youtube Channel

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 09:53:25 AM »

Midway down the page.

heh thats IF they show it at that time...
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 10:17:56 AM »
I know last time ah get shake twice from them, then they finally bing de game, and since hen I have seen it on FSC (espanol) 2 more times...

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 11:32:20 AM »
I watched that game the other night.  A more one-sided game would be hard to find. 

W Connection have some serious licks to get.

What is more of a concern, however, is the fact that W Connection is a top team that often dominates the PFL.  They looked TOTALLY outclassed against Chivas.

PFL quality (or lack of it) was on show that night, regardless of the final score.

The Mexican commentators wer having an argument whether W Connection was a Professional team or an amateur set up.  One commentator said that no, he spoke to Seabra the night before and Seabra told him that yes, they were professional.  The other commentator replied, "the quality of the players does not show a professional team at all.  I am sure that many of them drive taxis during the day as well."

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 11:59:36 AM »
 Connection just have to go and play to win....All those people who saying they going to get licks and the last game was one-sided just don't know much about football and tactics in football...Commentators does always fight down T&T...If you ask most of them Claudio Reyna is the best player from CONCACAF

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 12:46:34 PM »
I watched that game the other night.  A more one-sided game would be hard to find. 

What is more of a concern, however, is the fact that W Connection is a top team that often dominates the PFL.  They looked TOTALLY outclassed against Chivas.

PFL quality (or lack of it) was on show that night, regardless of the final score.

The Mexican commentators wer having an argument whether W Connection was a Professional team or an amateur set up.  One commentator said that no, he spoke to Seabra the night before and Seabra told him that yes, they were professional.  The other commentator replied, "the quality of the players does not show a professional team at all.  I am sure that many of them drive taxis during the day as well."

who cares what the mexican commentators think. Mexican teams don't like to lose to CFU because they think CFU teams are inferior so what do you expect?

Any excuse will be made up to try to justify losing. I was ova on BS and I read all the post about the Chivas/Connection match. First the Chivas fans claimed they lost because they were over confident...then they blamed the player selection...then the coaching tactics and the list goes on... ;D

You would do well to stop making these people feel that they are the best thing since slice bread. They struggle to beat CFU teams  namely Trinidad and Tobago teams in the Caribbean. I wan't them ousted justr because of their arrogance and if Connection does that they will get alot more respect not only for the club but for CFU football in general ;)
"I love to see my people living in love, hate to see dem fighting and swimming in blood."

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 12:53:55 PM »

Talk enough about this game already just want to say that Cantor and he bullaman pardnah's just see colour first and football second. Mexican commentators are bigoted idiots.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 01:17:06 PM »

who cares what the mexican commentators think. Mexican teams don't like to lose to CFU because they think CFU teams are inferior so what do you expect?

Any excuse will be made up to try to justify losing. I was ova on BS and I read all the post about the Chivas/Connection match. First the Chivas fans claimed they lost because they were over confident...then they blamed the player selection...then the coaching tactics and the list goes on... ;D

You would do well to stop making these people feel that they are the best thing since slice bread. They struggle to beat CFU teams  namely Trinidad and Tobago teams in the Caribbean. I wan't them ousted justr because of their arrogance and if Connection does that they will get alot more respect not only for the club but for CFU football in general ;)

Let's begin by pointing out that yes, CFU club teams ARE inferior to the Mexican club teams.  There is no doubt about that.  The quality of the Mexican league is incredible. 

Secondly, I believe that W Connection did surprise Chivas.  They must have been surprised of how little quality W Connection had, and lulled themselves to sleep.  In a home and away series, a team that knows it is way better than an opponent can get lazy in a first leg away knowing that the home leg is still to come.

Thirdly, I would like W Connection to win.  Of course I would.  But a 4 goal thrashing is not out of the question.  Don't be surprised at all if Connection gets humbled.

As goes the commentators, I agree that there may be a bit of arrogance there, but what do you expect with a country that has literally owned CONCACAF for the past 20 years?

And to Ponnoxx whp talked about tactics in football..... boy what to say?  I agree that W Connection may have set out to soak up pressure, defend with 11, and play on the counter, but come on.... the Mexican finishing was woesome and they looked like they were toying with Connection.  Not just that, the Connection players (except Seabra, Goulart, Jean and the last stopper who was taking the goal kicks) looked like real amateurs.  They couldn't even string 5 passes together.  It was pathetic.

That being said, when last has anyone seen a defender taking goal kicks for a keeper who is not injured?  That is something I have not seen for YEARS.  Real Under-14 thing.

Come on fellas, face it nah.  The display was piss poor, the result was great, but the away leg is real licks for Connection.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 01:19:19 PM »

Is 11 yuh say Jahyouth?
Try 10.

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 01:47:06 PM »

Let's begin by pointing out that yes, CFU club teams ARE inferior to the Mexican club teams.  There is no doubt about that.  The quality of the Mexican league is incredible. 

Secondly, I believe that W Connection did surprise Chivas.  They must have been surprised of how little quality W Connection had, and lulled themselves to sleep.  In a home and away series, a team that knows it is way better than an opponent can get lazy in a first leg away knowing that the home leg is still to come.

Thirdly, I would like W Connection to win.  Of course I would.  But a 4 goal thrashing is not out of the question.  Don't be surprised at all if Connection gets humbled.

As goes the commentators, I agree that there may be a bit of arrogance there, but what do you expect with a country that has literally owned CONCACAF for the past 20 years?

And to Ponnoxx whp talked about tactics in football..... boy what to say?  I agree that W Connection may have set out to soak up pressure, defend with 11, and play on the counter, but come on.... the Mexican finishing was woesome and they looked like they were toying with Connection.  Not just that, the Connection players (except Seabra, Goulart, Jean and the last stopper who was taking the goal kicks) looked like real amateurs.  They couldn't even string 5 passes together.  It was pathetic.

That being said, when last has anyone seen a defender taking goal kicks for a keeper who is not injured?  That is something I have not seen for YEARS.  Real Under-14 thing.

Come on fellas, face it nah.  The display was piss poor, the result was great, but the away leg is real licks for Connection.

While I agree that the Mexican League is the best in Concacaf you seem to overrate them too much. Maybe you feel inferior to Mexicans but the Connection players obviously didn't!

You speak of the fact that W Connection couldn't put 5 passes together. Did you also see where Chivas' had most of the possession and couldn't break down the pesky Connection defence. With 10 players they had to defend for the most part yet they managed to score two goals against a top Concacaf club side....what does that tell you?

That in itself is afeat and the coaching tactics used by the Connection coach worked. even the tactical substitution payed dividends for the team.

You are a perfect example of someone who cannot accept a win even though the way it was achieved wasn't to your liking. If you think that making 30-40 passes in a midfield and not being able to create openings in the opposing teams defence is good football then you have a lot to learn about the beautiful game  ;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 01:50:17 PM by Warlord »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2007, 01:49:15 PM »
to be fair to connection anything can happen in football. chivas could score two own goal and we through lol  :o. look how we beat them last week. all i can say is it going to be a tough match
Youtube Channel

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2007, 03:56:10 PM »
If i was W connection I would be very confident.

The fact that the game is one sided has more to do with the fact that they were down a man and addopted a defensive stance.

W connection did an excellent Job of sitting back and not giving the mexicans space behind their backs. the complete opposite of what TnT did against costa rica.

In addition W connection proved that they will be able to pass the ball around and the proved that they can score on this team.

I think if they did not get a man sent off the game would have been more balanced.

Chivas is obviously favourites but W connection can pull it off.

yes they game up territory but this was a game plan decision and it proved to be the right one.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2007, 04:18:28 PM »

Is 11 yuh say Jahyouth?
Try 10.

Thank you! Jeez man >:(

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2007, 04:22:40 PM »

You're a REAL F**KING C**NT...........

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 04:37:29 PM »
What so hard in supportin yuh country (w connection) . instead of sayin dey gettin licks. win lose or draw i supportin them.
Youtube Channel

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2007, 04:56:16 PM »
What so hard in supportin yuh country (w connection) . instead of sayin dey gettin licks. win lose or draw i supportin them.

Ah hah! Who say T&T is his country?  :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:. Is a setta imposter on dis board yes. De choice of  language betray de motive in de post. Ah kinda glee at de prospect of T&T getting beaten. I doh mind good intelligent constructive criticism but yuh see dis.......Steuppsssss!! >:(

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 05:20:09 PM »

Ah hah! Who say T&T is his country?  :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:. Is a setta imposter on dis board yes. De choice of  language betray de motive in de post. Ah kinda glee at de prospect of T&T getting beaten. I doh mind good intelligent constructive criticism but yuh see dis.......Steuppsssss!! >:(

i doh get yuh point. is a simple statement support connection instead of sayin they losin.
Youtube Channel

1]; } ?>