April 20, 2024, 02:45:08 AM

Author Topic: Scotland aims high  (Read 1990 times)

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
Scotland aims high
« on: February 28, 2007, 12:27:19 AM »
Scotland wants to hit 25-goal mark
Source: - Trinidad Guardian

T&T’s Scottish-based striker Jason Scotland is aiming at a 25-goal mark for St Johnstone which continues climbing towards promotion into the Premier League.

Scotland, a double scorer for his club in a 4-2 win over Hamilton Accies last weekend, will be in more action today, as the Saints take on Motherwell in Scottish League Cup quarterfinal action which will be televised live on BBC television.

Scotland at this time has 19 goals to his name, 12 of them coming in the League.

But while he has more strikes on his mind, his future at the club is indefinite as his contract runs out at the end of the season and whether or not the club gains promotion could determine where he ends up next season.

He was linked to Norwich City in the UK Press on the weekend, but says it’s just a rumour, at least for the time being.

I want to score more goals and finish on a high because my contract runs up at the end of the summer and my performances will determine what my next contract looks like,” Scotland said.

“The club is enjoying a good period and we are looking to go up, but I will decide if I stay here or move on - depending on where the club is playing next season. The type of offer could also play a part,” added the former Defence Force topscorer.

St Johnstone is second on the standings with 43 points, ten behind leaders Gretna.

Kingman
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 12:32:12 AM by kingman »

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
Re: Scotland aims high
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 12:31:50 AM »
John: Keane means business
Source: - Trinidad Guardian

Striker Stern John says one of the key factors behind Sunderland’s recent success of late is the very professional and strict manner in which manager Roy Keane handles the team.

John, signed by Keane from Coventry City a few weeks ago, has two goals to his name, but knows he has to keep on delivering in order to stay in the starting team.

He went close on a couple of occasions in the 2-1 win over Derby County on the weekend and now has to focus on another big fixture against West Brom on Saturday. A result there could have a heavy influence on Sunderland’s promotion chances.

Roy Keane is a serious manager. He means business. He handles you in a very professional way, but he lets you know what he expects of you and he will have no slackness in his team,” John said.

I think apart from how well the team is playing, his way in handling the team has had a very positive influence. I think I can say that this is the best playing team that I have been with,” said John.

We have all settled in well and Carlos and Dwight are also enjoying it. It’s hard because we are in the crunch period, but because of the conditions at the club, the atmosphere and the way we are playing, it makes it all enjoyable pressure,” John added.

Sunderland is fourth on the table with 60 points, one behind closes rivals Birmingham City and two behind leaders West Brom. Birmingham has two games in hand however. Kenwyne Jones’ Southampton is right on their backs though, on 59 points.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 12:34:45 AM »
Soccernet

Motherwell 1-2 St Johnstone
Scotland scores against SPL opposition

First Division St Johnstone reached their second semi-final of the season with a well-deserved Tennent's Scottish Cup victory at Fir Park.

Saints scored in each half through Peter MacDonald and Jason Scotland as they secured their fourth win over SPL opposition this season.
:
:
Smith was sharply off his line to block from Jason Scotland after the striker wriggled his way to the touchline.

The Trinidad & Tobago international was racially abused by a small section of fans in the main stand before their fellow Motherwell supporters shouted them down.
:
:
Saints attacked in numbers whenever they had the opportunity - and after Hardie's curling effort was parried away by Smith they doubled their advantage.

The SPL side's troubles increased in the 72nd minute when Scotland headed home from six yards after Goran Stanic had crossed from the byline.

Simon Mensing twice came close, Smith blocked Sheerin's volley and MacDonald blasted just wide as Saints chased a third goal.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 12:44:04 AM »

Soccernet

Motherwell 1-2 St Johnstone
Scotland scores against SPL opposition

First Division St Johnstone reached their second semi-final of the season with a well-deserved Tennent's Scottish Cup victory at Fir Park.

Saints scored in each half through Peter MacDonald and Jason Scotland as they secured their fourth win over SPL opposition this season.
:
:
Smith was sharply off his line to block from Jason Scotland after the striker wriggled his way to the touchline.

The Trinidad & Tobago international was racially abused by a small section of fans in the main stand before their fellow Motherwell supporters shouted them down.
:
:
Saints attacked in numbers whenever they had the opportunity - and after Hardie's curling effort was parried away by Smith they doubled their advantage.

The SPL side's troubles increased in the 72nd minute when Scotland headed home from six yards after Goran Stanic had crossed from the byline.

Simon Mensing twice came close, Smith blocked Sheerin's volley and MacDonald blasted just wide as Saints chased a third goal.

its ah shame that the racial nonsense still going on in scottish football!!! glad scotty having ah great season!! :beermug: :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 08:04:21 AM »
nuff respect to scotland.

WTF is this with racial abuse in scotland now?

Offline tartan

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 12:13:23 PM »
as a regular to football matches in scotland i am glad to say these incidents are very rare although that doesn't excuse the actions of those idiots who should be banned from all matches for life

motherwell is a total dump and the only good thing about the place is the road out ;)

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 12:17:57 PM »
motherwell is a total dump and the only good thing about the place is the road out ;)

OUCHHH!!!!
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 12:45:07 PM »
From the BBC website:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/motherwell/6407937.stm

Motherwell apologise for racism

Motherwell have issued an apology to St Johnstone's Jason Scotland, following racist taunts directed at the player during Wednesday's Scottish Cup tie.

Scotland was subjected to abuse from a section of Motherwell fans during Saints' 2-1 victory at Fir Park.

Nearby supporters reported the offending fans and police intervened.

In a statement, Motherwell owner John Boyle said: "These people should never show their faces at Fir Park again and they have no place in football."

Boyle added: "We are utterly appalled by this behaviour by a small group of people who have tarnished the name of our club.

"We are writing to Jason Scotland and St Johnstone today to apologise for this disgusting behaviour which is totally alien to all of us at Motherwell.

"We pride ourselves in being a family club which welcomes everyone to Fir Park.

"The police and stewards took what action they thought appropriate at the time.

"I was told there had been some kind of incident and it had been dealt with quickly but was unaware of the details and the seriousness of it.

"We are making further inquiries today to see if we can identify those involved in order to take action against them.

"We are appealing to our own supporters to help identify the culprits.

"I would be stunned if they are season ticket holders as there has been no evidence of this kind of behaviour in the past.

"We were disappointed to lose the match but we wish Jason Scotland and his team all the best in the Cup.

"They deserved their win and we are sorry if it was soured by the actions of a few idiots."

Martin Rose, chairman of the Motherwell Supporters Trust added: "We are united with the Club in condemning this repugnant behaviour in the strongest possible terms.

"I was in the main stand and raised the matter immediately with the match commander.

"Thankfully, it was nipped in the bud quickly by decent Motherwell fans, stewards and the police."
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 11:47:39 AM »
bbc.co.uk

Arrest after football race claim 

The alleged incident was said to involve Jason Scotland
A man has been arrested and charged in connection with alleged racial abuse directed at St Johnstone player Jason Scotland, it has emerged.
The incident was said to have happened at a Dundee match at Dens Park last month, Dundee Football Club said.

The 59-year-old, arrested following a police investigation, has denied a breach of the peace charge.

Dundee FC said it would not tolerate racist, sectarian, sexual or bigoted harassment or behaviour.

The man is due to appear at Dundee Sheriff Court at a later date, the club said in a statement.

1]; } ?>