March 28, 2024, 08:27:03 AM

Author Topic: JAN STEADMAN AS HEAD COACH  (Read 7978 times)

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
JAN STEADMAN AS HEAD COACH
« on: July 19, 2005, 02:31:26 PM »
Does anyone know how come Jan Steadman or if Jan Steadman was ever offered the Senior team coaching job.  Also what do you think of him as a coach, because i think he is a great coach but never heard of him being anywhere near the National team, but yet still this Shabazz guy was there at one time and up until that time I had never heard of him.  Please someone share your knowledge.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: JAN STEADMAN AS HEAD COACH
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 02:34:22 PM »
I think he could be a good under 20 coach based on his success in school football.  People say he is very caustic....however, I think that approach is needed at the youth level to keep those guys in check.

Offline Sanchez

• Full Warrior
  • Numero Diez por siempre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 02:41:21 PM »
Jan has lots of football experience, played locally and internationally.  He has the ability to motivate youths using as mentioned "caustic" measures.  Whether this same measures could be used to motivate adults, I don't think so. If he can tone down his motivation tools, maybe he can coach on the senior level.  Then again if he does that, he may not be able to motivate.  Who knows, I believe he should have been considered with his exceptional records at St. Benedicts and Naparima College.  Who knows what kind of senior coach he would make.

Offline Sanchez

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 02:43:25 PM »
Jersey Trini, you sound like ah "South" man.....

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 02:46:46 PM »
I from LA ROMAINE  born and grow....

Offline Sanchez

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 02:52:47 PM »
I should have known...I from across the road...Coconut Drive.....

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 02:58:19 PM »
I think he could be a good under 20 coach based on his success in school football.  People say he is very caustic....however, I think that approach is needed at the youth level to keep those guys in check.

Well if you think that he should be a under 20 coach why not start with him right there to build the foundation for the next world cup and so fort.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 03:05:19 PM »
Here we go.  Man callin fuh Steadman now.  Wha is he claim to fame oddah dan bein a boss player back in de day?  Ooops...ah fuhget...he once coach Naparima to a Intercol title.

Yuh woulda tink we learn we lesson wit BSC eh.  Ah well.....is Trini.  Ah guess de refrain go be "because he from South allyuh eh like he" as opposed to "allyuh doh like meh because ah from Tobago".  Den we have to get into de whole who produce de most National players, which team was best ever Intercol team etc etc etc.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Sanchez

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 03:09:25 PM »
Here we go.  Man callin fuh Steadman now.  Wha is he claim to fame oddah dan bein a boss player back in de day?  Ooops...ah fuhget...he once coach Naparima to a Intercol title.

Yuh woulda tink we learn we lesson wit BSC eh.  Ah well.....is Trini.  Ah guess de refrain go be "because he from South allyuh eh like he" as opposed to "allyuh doh like meh because ah from Tobago".  Den we have to get into de whole who produce de most National players, which team was best ever Intercol team etc etc etc.

Palos,  I don't you are too familiar with Jan Steadman, if I am not mistaken, he is the most successful secondary school's football coach.  I think him being the National 20 coach is an excellent idea.  Who knows in 10 years he could be the National coach, but you can't start a fire without a spark.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 03:19:37 PM »
Palos,  I don't you are too familiar with Jan Steadman, if I am not mistaken, he is the most successful secondary school's football coach.  I think him being the National 20 coach is an excellent idea.  Who knows in 10 years he could be the National coach, but you can't start a fire without a spark.

Respeck Sanchez.  My familiarity with Jan Steadman is hearing stories about his prowess as a player.  He also used to play for BWIA Graudates who I played against (fete match ting).   I have heard quite a lot about Jan Steadman the coach and mostly positive things.  Sure, his hat can be thrown in that coaching ring too but is not like he will be a cure all for the U 20 program or any developmental program.  No matter which coach yuh put een, he will face the same obstacles as his predecessors and I eh care how good yuh is...especially atde local level, dat is some serious road block to overcome.

At that stage of development, our problems are not about the coach.  It deeper seated than that.  I'm sure each coach has a certain philosophy about what they want, how they want their team to play etc.  But unless they are gievn the APPROPRIATE SUPPORT & RESOURCES necessary to do the job properly, whoever yuh put dey spinnin top in mud.

DAT is de point I makin.  De senior team is different because here, unless yuh in a situation like Jamaica, is not about "development".  Is about getting RESULTS in as short a space of time as possible.  Entirely different agenda.

Offline Sanchez

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 03:21:02 PM »

Respeck Sanchez.  I have heard quite a lot about Jan Steadman the coach and mostly positive things.  Sure, his hat can be thrown in that coaching ring too but is not like he will be a cure all for the U 20 program.  No matter which coach yuh put een, he will face the same obstacles as his predecessors and I eh care how good yuh is...especially atde local level, dat is some serious road block to overcome.

At that stage of development, our problems are not about the coach.  It deeper seated than that.  I'm sure each coach has a certain philosophy about what they want, how they want their team to play etc.  But unless they are gievn the APPROPRIATE SUPPORT & RESOURCES necessary to do the job properly, whoever yuh put dey spinnin top in mud.

DAT is de point I makin.  De senior team is different because here, unless yuh in a situation like Jamaica, is not about "development".  Is about getting RESULTS in as short a space of time as possible.  Entirely different agenda.

well said.....

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 08:23:43 PM »
he was more known for coaching Benedicts than Naps.
its a good suggestion to start him out with like the National U-14 or something and keep him till they reach Senior level, so they can get accustomed to his methods.
throwing him into a side of adults is a recipe for disaster..he have no people skills...screaming at people ent always going to work.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

jusme

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 09:46:48 PM »
well as someone who play in football camps run by jan back in the day, I would have to say that he would make an excellent youth coach.  The problem with him of course is that he is what we trinis refer to as ignorant.   

He is a career intercol coach, having great success at Benedict's and Naps.  I have always felt that the job description of an intercol coach is different from that of senior team coach.  An intercol coach has to be a disciplinarian and a father-figure to some extent, and not necessarily the tactician you would want in a national senior team coach.  An intercol coach was to be able to get the not so talented players to play hard and well.  A national team coach hopefully has all gifted players who already have their own work ethic instilled.  Not to say that he is subpar as a tactician, but he ent really been tested on that level really.

Bertille is the perfect example of an intercol coach, everybody who come through Signal Hill  and the coaching school will tell you how he make them a better man, but as most ppl here believe he was outmatched as a senior team coach.  If you think of Bertille's greatest achievement, it was coaching an intercol all-star team to the world youth championships.

Offline jaden

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2005, 05:43:38 AM »
allyuh want to bring ah next schoolboy coach BSC was not enough??????
mistakes are stepping stones to success

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2005, 06:35:47 AM »
Jan cyar coach no senior or U20 national team!

Jan is ah school boy coach who instills fear and discipline into all his players. Dat does only go as far as U17, cause after dat, man cussing him back!

I remember him telling a player who made a bad pass.."U should take up a sport like swimming, so when yuh do shit, yuh go f*cking drown!"

Ting like dat does happen on a regular basis!

lol
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2005, 06:48:40 AM »
well as someone who play in football camps run by jan back in the day, I would have to say that he would make an excellent youth coach. The problem with him of course is that he is what we trinis refer to as ignorant.

He is a career intercol coach, having great success at Benedict's and Naps. I have always felt that the job description of an intercol coach is different from that of senior team coach. An intercol coach has to be a disciplinarian and a father-figure to some extent, and not necessarily the tactician you would want in a national senior team coach. An intercol coach was to be able to get the not so talented players to play hard and well. A national team coach hopefully has all gifted players who already have their own work ethic instilled. Not to say that he is subpar as a tactician, but he ent really been tested on that level really.

Bertille is the perfect example of an intercol coach, everybody who come through Signal Hill and the coaching school will tell you how he make them a better man, but as most ppl here believe he was outmatched as a senior team coach. If you think of Bertille's greatest achievement, it was coaching an intercol all-star team to the world youth championships.

What was Peckerman's CV when he was made Argentina's senior team coach? - No club, no senior team, only youth coaching positions. Well is he the exception? or the former rules no longer apply? ???
Live large and prosper!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2005, 08:10:34 AM »
Jersey Trini / Sanchez I am a La Romain man meh self. And I played with Jan. Jan should be part of T&T's coaching set up. If he is best suited for youth then let Jan do that in the San Fernando area as a development coach. As it stands now no coach will have any efect on the players at an International level, be it U17-20 or senior. They spend too little time with the players and the players do not get enough playing experience at the international level. The work needs to be done at the younger ages and then complemented by International experience in CONCACAF. This on going process needs to be established, hopefully one day we may see this process at work.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2005, 08:26:26 AM »
From what everyone is saying about this topic or most people anyway, is that Jan Steadman pushes his men to be the best and that his motivation tactics is harsh verbal motivation.  I think that is exactly what we need in Trinidad to get men is check from a young age because as soon as a they start getting to much swell headed compliments they does start feeling that they to good and does loose focus and that is where Jan would check them and let them know that they aint reach that point yet.  With Jan you know you have to perform or you sitting down. That is what we need for real.  Let the man start with the U-17 and bring them up with him and i bet yuh they make the next Olympics or get really close and then people will see what i getting at.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2005, 08:55:40 AM »
What was Peckerman's CV when he was made Argentina's senior team coach? - No club, no senior team, only youth coaching positions. Well is he the exception? or the former rules no longer apply? ???

Was Peckerman ever a flikkin INTERCOL COACH?  Do you know if he practices condescencion and demeaning his players as a "motivational tool"?

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2005, 09:12:39 AM »
I want to add something here,i'm in a position now where i'm able to look at things from a professional point of view,from what i'm hearing of Jan he might only be able to get away with that in T&T where everything is free,coach/play for nothing mentality,out here everything you have to pay because Coaches have to be paid and when ppl pay money for their kids to play Football you can't talk to them like that you would be looking for a job,if you build a reputation like that nobody hire you,and i can tell you word gets around fast in the Football World,did you all know Jan was banned once by the Football abministration?
     I've always said we have to be very careful about who coaching our youths,it's the reason our youth teams are so poor,not any one that played the game can coach the game,is the same as saying not because you went to school you can teach,some ppl are just good at teaching,where i am here in Va they run background checks on all Coaches,we are fingerprinted etc any little thing you can't deal with ppl children,at home it's accepted because players don't have options this runs right through the system.
    I had the opportunity to work with Jan once when i was Coach of the Snr National team (Shell Cup 89) he was my assistant,all i will say is that it did not end too well.    

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2005, 09:17:53 AM »

Was Peckerman ever a flikkin INTERCOL COACH? Do you know if he practices condescencion and demeaning his players as a "motivational tool"?

Send me your address, I'll send some crix for yuh :D. Take yuh time wit dese eh ;D
Live large and prosper!

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2005, 09:20:59 AM »
Wow! Bring in Jan at U17 and the bet is on for them to make the Olympic? From this CONCACAF? When we cyah even make it out de 1st rounds ah de Gold Cup? Jan muss be Jesus!!!
Toujour Pret!

Offline babbaboy

• New Warrior
  • de babba rule things !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2005, 11:30:03 AM »
As a former benedicts ole boy ..i have too say that i may be a bit partial about the whole Jan Steadman thing ..but here goes ...i remember asking Jan about this very topic years ago. I believe that Jan would make an excellent "youth" coach because lets face it many young men grow up without a father figure in the home ..and Jan was the father for many of us.. he would cuss you out when you needed to be cussed out "of which i have many stories" and "guzzi" and he would praise you when you deserved it. but he was fair at all times ... a youth coach in TNT has to command the respect and admiration of the players because of our social dynamics he becomes much more. In any case he was offered an assistant youth coaching job some time back but as usuall in TNT jobs are expected to be done for "free" which he declined to do..           

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2005, 02:59:53 PM »

Well if you think that he should be a under 20 coach why not start with him right there to build the foundation for the next world cup and so fort.

Don't get me wrong..i am ah south man and i respect jan steadman as a coach.  I think he should start as ah under 20 coach because he has a lot of experience at the youth level and probably none with senior players.  He working at that level for a while and then moving into the senior position might be effective..i.e. Jose Pekerman.

Offline Gazza

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2005, 12:43:19 AM »
May be we can try steadman,but i don't think no local coach can help we improve right now.Ah was thinkin we could go for a Mexican coach or maybe an American,Steve Sampson would be good.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2005, 05:04:51 AM »
May be we can try steadman,but i don't think no local coach can help we improve right now.Ah was thinkin we could go for a Mexican coach or maybe an American,Steve Sampson would be good.

Steve Sampson  :o Boy you mad.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2005, 05:23:32 AM »
Doesn't matter what coach we get if we dont have de tools for them to work with then we spinnin top in mud. De TTFF feels they can hire a top coach and everything will fall into place after that, but if they not supporting him then we wasting everything.

Is like hiring a man to build a house but yuh eh have no concrete......... Or better yet,,,, trying to pelt a jock with yuh foot.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 06:04:30 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2018, 02:22:17 PM »
WATCH: Conversation with Jan Steadman

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MHRokNj75wU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MHRokNj75wU</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2018, 05:13:17 PM »
Thanks for posting this Tallest . . . two of my favorite topics rolled up in one
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2018, 09:15:40 PM »
Haha. Nice interview. Real funny. The man say Jack from Cayenne of Nigerian extract(probably Igbo, f--king stubborn). That one was funny.On the other hand  the term soccer is not american. It is english. They coined the word.

But as a kid I heard and read a lot about him. Do not know him personally. Never saw him play in TT. If I did see him play in NY, then I did not recognized him. Lincoln said he was damn good player. He was coaching in TT in  the JW era, and I guess he did not see eye to eye with Jack. He is a no nonsense man. A team mate on the 74 youth team with me from south, told me he had a run in with Jan over some football issues, and he walked away from his team. But like I said i don't know him personally, so I cannot give an opinion of him.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 05:13:43 PM by Deeks »

1]; } ?>