March 28, 2024, 09:37:17 AM

Author Topic: Mexico's Chivas defeats W Connection.  (Read 14705 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Mexico's Chivas defeats W Connection.
« on: March 01, 2007, 06:27:50 AM »
Chivas hit back, W Connection fail to advance.
By: Joel Villafana (Rporting live from Guadalajara).

Mexican Champions Chivas rebounded in impressive fashion in the 2nd leg of the CONCACAF Champions Cup quarterfinal handing W Connection a 3-0 drubbing to progress to the semi-finals winning 4-2 on aggregate.
It was a clinical double strike by Sergio Santana that secured the victory for the Central American team, who came into the match knowing they needed to win by at least two clear goals to advance in the competition.
W Connection failed to get it right when it mattered, and as expected the boys from Couva had to deal with an attacking Mexican outfit.
It was as early as the 2nd minute of the game and the Mexicans had their first strike, from the dangerous Omar Bravo, but the young Kerwyn Beckles got his body behind the shot and gathered easily.
However, that was a sign of things to come, as Chivas in front of close to 30,000 screaming fans dominated possession in the midfield, leaving the five Connection midfielders chasing.
In the 8th minute young Kerwyn Beckles was again called into action, when he had to jump high to collect a dangerous looking right sided cross from Alberto Medina.
It was clear from the outset that the 20 year old Beckles was going to have a busy night between the uprights. In minute 16, Chivas worked the ball neatly across the face of the goal and Santana had his first crack at goal, which Beckles fumbled on the first bounce, but gathered safely.
In the 21st minute, the pressure began to take its toll on a hapless looking W Connection outfit that looked a far cry from the team that defeated Chivas 2-1 only two weeks ago.
The opening goal came from a defensive blunder, a clear misunderstanding between Brenton De Leon and goalkeeper Beckles and the combination of Medina and Santana worked well, Medina slipping the ball past an advancing Beckles for Santana to tap home Chivas in front 1-0.
Three minutes later there was a brief spark for the three time Caribbean Cup winners, when midfielder Kern Cupid banged a long range effort from some 30 yards out that looked threatening until the Mexican keeper held it with some ease.
The Mexicans however continued in search for the all important 2nd goal, and Bravo headed wide from another right-sided cross from Medina in the 26th minute.
One minute later, there was some drama in the Jalisco Stadium, as the referee surprisingly awarded Chivas a penalty, when a ball came across the face of the goal, and what looked to be a 50-50 chance which Beckles rose and took cleanly, before Santana collided into him.
The Honduras referee amazingly pointed to the spot, to obvious protest from Connection skipper Earl Jean and his troops.
However, as justice would have it, the penalty was blocked by a determined Kerwyn Beckles to give W Connection some hope.
Chivas continued to control the game up until the half time whistle, and Chivas took a 1-0 lead into the dressing room.
On the resumption nothing changed as Chivas came out hungry for that 2nd goal and did not have to wait long as in the 47th minute, it was Santana that received a pinpoint accurate cross and glanced his header wide of a diving Beckles, Chivas now in charge 2-0.
The home team continued to apply the pressure with the obvious intention to shut W Connection out of the contest.
Connection Coach made some changes hoping for something special, Christian Viveros came in for Kern Cupid and Andre Toussaint replaced Hughton Hector.
However, despite Viveros stepped up Connection's game in midfield, the "Savonetta Boys" failed to create any clear chances for themselves.
Instead Chivas rocked Connection's bar with a thunderous strike from Adolfo Bavtista in the 61st minute.
Drawing on his last card, coach Fevrier sent in Andrei Pacheco for the less than match fit, but hard working Jose Luis Seabra, but by then it was too late as Chivas would knock the wind out of the Pro League outfit.
Bavtista would find himself on the end of a through ball and slotted it home to send Chivas into a commanding 3-0 lead.
The fresh legs of Pacheco tried to light some fire under a wilting W Connection, but his shot from on top the 18 yard box in the dying minutes flashed just wide.
In the end that was all she wrote, and Chivas accomplished what they set out to do, erasing a 1 goal deficit from the first leg to win the home and away tie 4-2 on aggregate and the Mexican side will now go on to play DC United in the semi-finals.
While W Connection will head back to the drawing board and prepare for the upcoming 2007 Pro League season which kicks off in April.

Teams

W Connection:
- Kerwyn Beckles, William Da Silva Oliviera, Elijah Joseph, Earl Jean, Gefferson Goulart, Nickolson Thomas, Hughton Hector (Andre Toussaint), Devon Drayton, Kern Cupid (Christian Viveros), Jose Luis Seabra (Andrei Pacheco), Brenton De Leon.

Chivas: - Ernsto Michel, Roberto Rivera, Antonio Patlan, Deigo Martinez, Manoel Sol, Hector Reynoso, Omar Bravo, Sergio Santana, Gonzalo Pineda, Alberto Medina, Adolfo Bavtista.

Goal scorers: Sergio Santana (21, 47), Adolfo Bavtista (61)

W Connection v Chivas

0  Goals 3
2  Shots on Target 11
1 Corners 10
0 Offsides 2
2 Yellow Cards 1
0 Red Cards 0
5  Fouls 10
Disappointed Fevrier says players did not rise to the occasion
By: Joel Villafana (Rporting live from Guadalajara).

W Connection's Head Coach Stuart Charles Fevrier was an obviously disappointed man after he watched his team surrender a one goal advantage from the 1st leg of the CONCACAF Champions Cup quarterfinal to go down to Chivas 3-0 in the second leg.
At the post match press conference, the St. Lucian born coach was still trying to come to terms with why some of his players in his opinion did not play to their true potential.
"I thought it was a game that we could have done better, we were always aware that Chivas is a more experienced team than we are and we know we had to be on top of our game if we had to get a positive result, however, that was not the case today as some of our players did not rise to the occasion, and were very low key in their performance."
Fevrier added, "The fact that Chivas is in competition right now and we are not also had a part to play, they were a bit sharper than us, after Chivas played us two weeks ago they have played three games, so they were definitely match fit, but still I believe not all our players played to their true potential."
"Chivas is a quality team and we needed all our players to be on top of their game, so I am disappointed in the teams performance," ended Fevrier.
Meanwhile skipper Earl Jean was also a disappointed man, he told the Mexican media, "I too am disappointed with our performance, we were below par and we can't come to play a team like Chivas and expect to win if we played how we played tonight."
"But as a club we have to take a lot of heart from this experience, we will keep fighting as a team, we will go back to the drawing board and see where we went wrong, we head back home now and we will try to get ourselves ready for our upcoming season."

Quarterfinals, Leg 2

Wed., Feb. 28[/b]

Marquense 0-1 Pachuca
(3-0 on aggregate).

Chivas 3-0 W Connection
(4-2 on aggregate).

Thu., Mar. 1

D.C. United vs. Olimpia   
Houston vs. Puntarenas

Mexicos Chivas player Sergio Santana, center, celebrates with teammates after scoring against Trinidad & Tobagos W Connection during a CONCACAF ChampionsCup game Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2007, in Guadalajara, Mexico. ...(AP Photo/Guillermo Arias).

Mexico's Chivas player Francisco Rodriguez, battles for the ball with Trinidad & Tobagos W Connection Sports Club's Elijah Joseph during a CONCACAF Champions Cup game in Guadalajara, Mexico, Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2007. ...(AP Photo/Guillermo Arias).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 12:23:44 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Mexico's Chivas defeats W Connection.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 07:06:35 AM »
I saw the first 25 minutes of the game then turned it off.  W Connection should not have even been on the same pitch...Totally outclassed. 

Nonetheless, a job well done to get this far in the competition.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 08:05:49 AM »
i was disappointed. connection get out played bad.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 08:11:03 AM »
I felt sad at the end of the game.

W connection did a very good job between the first leg and the second leg of covering their defensive third with 8 players.
They were excellent at staying in position passing off runners and preventing the Chivas attack from getting behind them.

The problem is that football is played on a pitch with 3 thirds and W connection did nothing in the 2 games in the middle third and had 2 good goals in the first game for the attacking third.

I honestly thought that they were defending in the first game because of being a man down but this second game showed that they were just on the back foot.

I was sad because the teams were so far apart, when W connection did come out to try to play towards the end chances started to flow for chivas, if they played this way for the whole game they might get 10.

W Connection, PFL and as a result trinidad and Tobago football is light years behind mexican football.

We need to rethink our approach to the game at home because we are not up to date.

Yes we have some good individual players who can go foreign and if we put them together we can maybe come 4th in the hex.
But football development is much much more than that.

Something seriously wrong here, something seriously different, is like we preparing for a different sport!

Players wise
The 2 short brazilians had bad games, Golart and Oliveria so that did not help. Especially Olivera he look like an Indian so I think he from Brazil in Central, not the real Brazil.

The keeper is real good, he will push Jan for TnT in 2014 amd Jan will push Jack and Ince for 2010 so keeper wise we in good shape. His height is is best assest, once he refines his training methods he will do well.

The Deleon Left back is a good player, if he is a Trini he should replace daniels as TnT left Back.

The defensive midfielder with the gloves should also be a TnT team if he is trini (Put hardest on the bench and push Theobald more forward). he just need to read a lil more football books so he can know when to shoot and when to pass.

the right wing who come off half time is also a good player for a TnT side.

the Ras defender have potential but he a lil wild

In the end W connection play a good brand they try to pass the ball and have good link up play. The problem was they could not push numbers forwards to allow possesion in the middle and attacking third. Because defensively one on one and as a team they could not contain the Chivas attack without 8 men behind the ball.

is is better to just play to not lose too bad or go out and try to play ball!

This is a sad realization for Tnt football, With more luck W connection could have even advanced but it would not have changed the fact that they are not up to Pa with these Mexican teams.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 08:17:44 AM »
Good morning Goodpeople,
                                      Yes they were outclassed. Could any other team done better? Who knows. They were the best in the region. What does that say for regional football.
But bigup to Connection for giving the best that they were able to give. I know a lot of people call you all sH*tsnakes. But at least you earn your right to be there. Don't worry, there is always next year.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 08:30:23 AM »

Players wise
The 2 short brazilians had bad games, Golart and Oliveria so that did not help. Especially Olivera he look like an Indian so I think he from Brazil in Central, not the real Brazil.

boy yuh post was going good until ah read this steeps
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 08:33:23 AM »
well its ironic isnt it.
ah bring out the i told allyuh so.
when i was syaing that i perfer them to do the right thing  and loss people was braying about winning means more yadda yadda.s
steups oui luck dont win championships.
 consitency at a high level and basics. now everyone saying the same thigns that touches myself and a few others were saying after the first game and everyoen was hating.
this was inevitable although football things happen.
not everyday is sunday!!!
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 09:00:35 AM »

What race have to do with it asshole..... because he is indian he cant play or he not true Brazilian, you have to be a f00cking dunce.... in every country it have every race and ture ones too.

That same little Brazilians was the best player in T&T PFL last season, atleast in the top 3 defensive players, he was also voted by the PFL board as Best Midfielder of the Year so what that have say about your true black creole players.

So you is not a true Trini because you black then ?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 09:05:50 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 09:13:50 AM »
Let's begin by pointing out that yes, CFU club teams ARE inferior to the Mexican club teams.  There is no doubt about that.  The quality of the Mexican league is incredible. 

Secondly, I believe that W Connection did surprise Chivas.  They must have been surprised of how little quality W Connection had, and lulled themselves to sleep.  In a home and away series, a team that knows it is way better than an opponent can get lazy in a first leg away knowing that the home leg is still to come.

Thirdly, I would like W Connection to win.  Of course I would.  But a 4 goal thrashing is not out of the question.  Don't be surprised at all if Connection gets humbled.

As goes the commentators, I agree that there may be a bit of arrogance there, but what do you expect with a country that has literally owned CONCACAF for the past 20 years?

And to Ponnoxx whp talked about tactics in football..... boy what to say?  I agree that W Connection may have set out to soak up pressure, defend with 11, and play on the counter, but come on.... the Mexican finishing was woesome and they looked like they were toying with Connection.  Not just that, the Connection players (except Seabra, Goulart, Jean and the last stopper who was taking the goal kicks) looked like real amateurs.  They couldn't even string 5 passes together.  It was pathetic.

That being said, when last has anyone seen a defender taking goal kicks for a keeper who is not injured?  That is something I have not seen for YEARS.  Real Under-14 thing.

Come on fellas, face it nah.  The display was piss poor, the result was great, but the away leg is real licks for Connection.

That was the post I made after the first leg and real people cuss me. 

Having seen the second leg, I rest my case.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 09:18:06 AM »
Let's begin by pointing out that yes, CFU club teams ARE inferior to the Mexican club teams.  There is no doubt about that.  The quality of the Mexican league is incredible. 

Secondly, I believe that W Connection did surprise Chivas.  They must have been surprised of how little quality W Connection had, and lulled themselves to sleep.  In a home and away series, a team that knows it is way better than an opponent can get lazy in a first leg away knowing that the home leg is still to come.

Thirdly, I would like W Connection to win.  Of course I would.  But a 4 goal thrashing is not out of the question.  Don't be surprised at all if Connection gets humbled.

As goes the commentators, I agree that there may be a bit of arrogance there, but what do you expect with a country that has literally owned CONCACAF for the past 20 years?

And to Ponnoxx whp talked about tactics in football..... boy what to say?  I agree that W Connection may have set out to soak up pressure, defend with 11, and play on the counter, but come on.... the Mexican finishing was woesome and they looked like they were toying with Connection.  Not just that, the Connection players (except Seabra, Goulart, Jean and the last stopper who was taking the goal kicks) looked like real amateurs.  They couldn't even string 5 passes together.  It was pathetic.

That being said, when last has anyone seen a defender taking goal kicks for a keeper who is not injured?  That is something I have not seen for YEARS.  Real Under-14 thing.

Come on fellas, face it nah.  The display was piss poor, the result was great, but the away leg is real licks for Connection.

:applause: :applause:
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 09:20:23 AM »
Boy that game last night is what u would call a "Humiliating Defeat" we were out played in every department. We have a long way to go to reach that level of football.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 09:31:55 AM »

And what if you was wrong ? breads, it might have been impossible for Connection to make it to the next rounds in your books, but you never know dread, shit does happen.... man cuss you because you was very negative...... de team beat Chivas 2-1, forget how they play, they got the job done and in the end thats all that matters, jump high jump low.... they played better in that 2-1 win, face it.... your view might have reflected on this game maybe.

We have the players in T&T, but a structure and better coaches must be there to bring it out of our players like Beenhakker did with T&T. In these mordern times other teams in CONCACAF catch they ass to beat Mexican clubs.

Nobody eh saying Connection better than Chivas, but come on dread.

You saying de Mexican finishing was woesome, yes, and thats my point, shit happens, like what we did to Honduras in Honduras in 2001 WCQ's....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 09:42:14 AM »

At least the 'keeper took his own spot kicks last night  ;D

Seriously, though, I does see men gettin' bouff-up for telling the truth about our state of football in the caribbean/concacaf and men does be talking about "waiting until next year" and "hopefully we will learn from this", but we've been singing them songs (among other hopeful ones) for decades now, while constantly being exposed (as a country and a culture) to high standards.  When will we really learn AND do better??  Chivas was playing with W. Connection last night, not against them.   I've said this before, and i'll say it again: As a culture, we need to get real and understand what real sports and real professionalism are and demand it of our athletes, coaches and administrators.  For decades now we in T&T have been watching football from all around the world and know what it takes to imrove our game down to every individual that plays at whatever level.  But if these same players, coaches and administrators don't even respectively demand the best of themselves and learn to pass, trap and shhot using proper technique, or teach players proper technicque, or carry out their administrative duties with the best interests of the sport at heart, and instead, let all the hype of their supposed accomplishments swell their heads, then we will be spinnin de same tops in de same mud, 5, 10, 20 years from now.   All that being said, I still give my respect to W. Connection, from the players to the owners for their efforts and whenever I am home, I shall stop by and encourage them all to do better next time and every time.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 10:17:17 AM »
Ah want everybody who quarrel and was vex with Touches for his honesty to PM him an apology!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 10:33:42 AM »
I saw the part of the second half, and was amazed at the pace of chivas player or should I say the slowest of W connection. I agree better coaching and speed up  of the game in the PFL(play at a faster pace). The fete match football need to stop. We need some dutch intervention.
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 10:54:42 AM »
Some ppl on here have a who right/wrong or a who win/lose mentality,guys we all are just giving our views/ideas/thoughts,that does not mean it's the way it is or should be,not because someone was right the last time they will be right next time but we just waiting for ppl to fail to justify what we are saying.On the field of play nothing is black and white,nothing you do you are assured it going to work,Liverpool catching their tail in the EPL but they beat Barca in the Champions league,anyone surprised/shocked by that?

Check the trend when ever we leave T&T,national team/local club we just can't see our way,it's easy to predict that we going to lose,it's the same storeys i hear all the time, but i can assure you at home the guys put in a very good effort,now i did not say they are world class eh,i have not seen T&T play except on TV in years i depend on reports i get from you all in order for me to respond,the only reason i respond is if something does/does not make sense.

T&T Football needs all of us,our input is very important, it gives our administrators something to work with,it appears to me sometimes like we appreciate/support foreign Football more than our own,this mentality has rubbed off on the country in general.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 10:59:23 AM »
Ah want everybody who quarrel and was vex with Touches for his honesty to PM him an apology!!

ah love it!!

Apologize for what?
STEUPSE

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 11:18:52 AM »
Quote from: mango chow!
for decades now, while constantly being exposed (as a country and a culture) to high standards.

I talkin about football here.
So one club in our league, not always the same one, plays a top class club MAYBE twice a year.
Is that what you mean by "constantly being exposed"?

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 11:39:11 AM »
Quote from: mango chow!
for decades now, while constantly being exposed (as a country and a culture) to high standards.

I talkin about football here.
So one club in our league, not always the same one, plays a top class club MAYBE twice a year.
Is that what you mean by "constantly being exposed"?

No.  I mean that we as a "culture" have seen top class fotball come to our shores, time and time again, and witness with our own eyes how vast a gap there exists between the football we play, and the football we need to learn to play, but still accepting mediocrity.  Not to mention that enuff people watching football on tv and internet on a regular.  Men (and women) have to know by now that the level we are playing at on a regular basis ain't gonna cut it, in spite of us qualifying for a WC.  At this point, none of us should be surprised at how easily W. Connection were dimantled by Chivas last night, but yet there are many that truly thought we had some major result to collect.  After the game, then people start talking about how old a club Chivas is and what not but we have been playing against teams of Chivas' level long before last night, so when are we going to start preparing?

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline fivers

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 11:39:55 AM »
I just found the first leg goal from Sebra http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayg3Exc286k

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2007, 11:47:38 AM »
I could understand ppl saying that Chivas was better than WC.

I could fully understand ppl saying that that Mex. has a better prof. program than us.

But maybe ppl should figure out the following:

Whilst Mex can retain most of their players, the majority of our talent go abroad and are thus lost to the league.

Chivas had six national Mexicans on their side. When was the last time TT even had 6 internationals at home at the same time playing in the local league.

WC lost about four players b4 this encounter and a fifth was injured. Against one of the best teams on the Continent. Was this result really a surprise. WC played with 10 men and won in TT. Chivas looked nothing out of the oridinary. Then an understrengthed WC went to Mex and lost 3-0 at hight altitude. Surprised??

But let's get this straight. TT is supposed to be at a disadvantage vs. the Mexicans every time, because of the superior structure and high alt.

But we have NEVER been outclassed. Remember our past encounters, Defence Force, Police and yes WC a few years ago.

Give WC the money that Chivas has and you'll see their quality improve.

Peacer,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 12:21:50 PM »
 Being outplayed in the second leg has nothing to do with the first gam...Totally independent of each other...Another thing is that W Connection probably play the biggest game of their short history,...I cyah believe ppl trying to be so critical..They loss and they loss end of story...Allyuh fellas good yes...Believe me that was a great experience for Connection...They know they will have to step up big time , work on the fundamentals from youth stage ...to match big teams such as Chivas...It might not be the current squad that beat Chivas but it may be a squad 5-10 years down the road that beat Chivas...Allyuh fellas sounding happy....They loss the game but I know they win the first game...History will forever remember that....Guess what guys PFL isn't the best football in the world (although I will support it)...Quite a newsflash huh!? PFL still building a standard....It so easy to critisize everything, point fingers, mock,talk shit...Its easy to do that...Hard to find a silver lining...Hard to find answers ...This site have PLENTY critics who are masters of belittling anything...Go T&T

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 12:25:35 PM »

I could fully understand ppl saying that that Mex. has a better prof. program than us.

Whilst Mex can retain most of their players, the majority of our talent go abroad and are thus lost to the league.

Chivas had six national Mexicans on their side. When was the last time TT even had 6 internationals at home at the same time playing in the local league.

WC lost about four players b4 this encounter and a fifth was injured. Against one of the best teams on the Continent. Was this result really a surprise. WC played with 10 men and won in TT. Chivas looked nothing out of the oridinary. Then an understrengthed WC went to Mex and lost 3-0 at hight altitude. Surprised??

But let's get this straight. TT is supposed to be at a disadvantage vs. the Mexicans every time, because of the superior structure and high alt.

But we have NEVER been outclassed. Remember our past encounters, Defence Force, Police and yes WC a few years ago.

Peacer,
VB

VB, did you watch the game (the second leg)?  Did you watch the first leg?  If you did, how can you say that we "have never been outclassed"?

It is "head in the sand" views like this that keep our local football at the poor level it is.

Plain talk, bad manners:

1 - The Secondary Schools Football League today is shit.  Soory to be so blunt, but it is true.  It is not of any standard to rear or develop international quality youth players.

2 - The great talent that we always claim to have at home..... where is it?  After watching our Under 17s and Under 20s labour against their compatriots from St. Kitts and Nevis, Barbados and the like (not to mention Jamaica because they are usually a pretty solid Caribbean team), how can we say with conviction that we have any real set of "great" young talent?

3 - The PFL is a young league, but the standard of play is horrible.  For W Connection to be a team that dominates in the PFL and look like a kindergarten team against Chivas is an embarrassment not simply for W Connection, but for the PFL.

4 - What will be the standard of Trinidad and Tobago football when this Golden Era is past?  When Latas is gone, Dwight is gone, Stern John is gone, Shaka, Jack and Ince are gone, Marvin Andrews is gone, Sancho is gone, Dennis Lawrence is gone, Scotland is gone?  Who we have?  The young guns coming up misfiring bad.  And we are seeing that in the Under 17 and Under 20 competitions.  Who knows, maybe Carlos, Theobald, Whitley and Chris Birchall can clone themselves and make a 21?

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2007, 12:26:14 PM »
VB i must say well said Breds,it's always nice to get another take on things WC/Chevas and it makes a lot of sense.

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2007, 12:29:41 PM »
I attended the first game, thought they did well considering they went down to ten men.

Last night was poor. The first goal was pure comedy, almost a carbon copy of the goal Van Der Sar conceded on Saturday against Fulham. Why rush 12 yards off your line when you have two defenders already in front of you to take care of things? The second goal was just pure naivety. The boy had three players around him, instead of getting in front of the striker and trying to head clear they all stood there watching the ball being planted onto his head! You can't make mistakes like that at this level. It was like watching an Intercol game "You head it! No, you head it! No you..."...

They were getting murdered down the right flank in the second half. Connections full back was woefully exposed, and was getting no support from the winger in front of him. In Europe, you will see how the wingers will often drop back to give extra support to the defending full backs. What was even more worrying was that Fevrier didn't do anything to stop them from marauding down the right, he just left things as they were and Chivas kept knocking balls down the right channel for the winger to chase and they knocked in two goals as a result...

Earl Jean was left up front on his own, without any support whatsoever, even when he did manage to get possession. I mean, come on...if you're going to play him as a lone striker then at least tell the wingers to move infield when possession has been retained to feed him a few through balls or hit him with a few crosses, or get a midfielder to run from deep to support the attack. You'll notice that neither of Connections wingers got to the by-line and flung in a cross of any quality, and the midfield were all clustered together in the centre circle.

I thought it was awful. It could have been five or six since Chivas had already hit the post and the crossbar.

A lot of work needs to be done...

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2007, 12:32:42 PM »
On a similar tip, when army win champions cup in 85, how many of those players were part of the strike squad?  The bulk?  I recall it being mainly army and trintoc in those days and not to forget the two BBP players in Alibey and Faustin! ;D
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2007, 12:47:42 PM »

Peacer,
VB

Sugar coating and excuse-making like this will get us no where (and the evidence is glaring).

T&T local football is in a f-ing mess, and yesterday's game was an embarrassing illustration of such. It was men against boys yesterday. No where in the world should a team that performed like W yesterday be proud to call themselves professional. Individually the performance was amateur. Plain talk eh bad manners....We behind the curve....admit it, forget the excuses, and talk of ways to improve....Nothing is wrong with admission that we have a very very very long way to go.....

The luxury of having multiple nat'l players on a team is one that few clubs have...and the absence of such is NO excuse for poor technique, no chemistry, horrible movement and basically appearing to not have a clue of what it takes to play at the highest level.....sorry for being a little harsh, but it kinda frustrating to read your post....If we made a game of it, went down fighting and actually appeared competitive then sure....such was not the case. As a Trini it was almost embarrassing to admit that that was the best club team our pro league had to offer....seriously.....
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 12:49:52 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2007, 01:06:34 PM »
On a similar tip, when army win champions cup in 85, how many of those players were part of the strike squad?  The bulk?  I recall it being mainly army and trintoc in those days and not to forget the two BBP players in Alibey and Faustin! ;D

Wha bout the Alibey and Faustin mural on the wall by the basketball court eh nachilus?

Two ah dem rocking high top fade and some biters.... dat mural was holding up well up to a couple years ago.... ah wonder if it still dey
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2007, 01:10:44 PM »

Wha bout the Alibey and Faustin mural on the wall by the basketball court eh nachilus?

Two ah dem rocking high top fade and some biters.... dat mural was holding up well up to a couple years ago.... ah wonder if it still dey

Yuh see, ah miss dat one, nex time ah home ah will pass to see, personally I never see dat, but nice to know it exists (existed), seeing Faustin in Germany was real nice, ah tink he buss ah whine on de same smallie yuh was checkin  ;D
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2007, 01:26:30 PM »
THE BETTER TEAM  WON. better luck next time connection you didn't do so bad at least from my prospective. you played your hearts out but it proved little against a team with great technical ability from a proper professional footballing environment. however our football has made some strides in the past two decades, gone are the days when players were working 8hrs days and balling in their spare time, days of the mighty( malvern- A.S.L-maple -peter borough- E.C.T.) we've stepped up the game, it's a little late in coming but it's here non the less. we are at the cross roads of our footballing history that game last night showed us that,if we want to move on and compete at an international level we must do some serious work which includes as the dutch man said raise our level, by hiring better coaching and technical staff e.c.t. i know it's easier said than done but that's what's reqired if we want to be a super power in the region and a force to recon with internationally. we also need the support of the public, they must turn out for the pro games like somone sugested bring the school kids on outings to the games get them into it. it might be a small start but it's a start in the right direction, because these big old horses just not interested in football at all,only in W.C.Q. if our team is doing good and may stand a chance of qualifing ... then they're all running to fill up the stadium... hording all the tickets while the true fans can't even get close to the stadium even to smell a blade of grass. my comments wer'nt intended to dis or create controversy, i'am just a concern fan giving my two cents.                positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

1]; } ?>