April 25, 2024, 11:12:08 AM

Author Topic: 3 confess to Vindra’s murder  (Read 38985 times)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Vindra sliced into pieces.
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2014, 07:37:35 PM »
Real animals we have among us.

Imagine being a family member and having to know all details and relive it all again. And the jury ~ I was part of a jury in a murder case a couple years back and that thing affects me to this day.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2014, 09:16:18 PM »
Real animals we have among us.

Imagine being a family member and having to know all details and relive it all again. And the jury ~ I was part of a jury in a murder case a couple years back and that thing affects me to this day.

Sorry to hear that. Yuh was doing yuh civic duty ... doh love dem, doh hate dem ... Just treat dem as what they are: gruesome facts ... and hug yuh chirren.  :beermug:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:20:42 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2014, 09:17:25 PM »
this was 7 years ago and they were already gruesome.
imagine what really going on with some of these recently missing people.
don't drag this out further..just execute them!!
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2014, 02:07:14 AM »
‘I WAS SCARED’
By Jada Loutoo (Newsday).
Friday, April 4 2014

EVEN as he heard rapid gunshots and his wife scream out, Rennie Coolman, husband of murdered Xtra Foods chief executive officer Vindra Naipaul-Coolman, did nothing to help her because he was scared when he saw a masked gunman.

Coolman, who began his testimony at the trial of the 12 men accused of Naipaul-Coolman’s murder, yesterday admitted he did not go to his wife’s assistance on the night she was abducted from their home at 742 Radix Road, Lange Park, Chaguanas.

Naipaul-Coolman, 52, was kidnapped from the driveway of her home on December 19, 2006. A ransom demand was eventually made for her safe release and some of it was paid, but she was not freed. Her body was never found.

Coolman said he was “very, very scared” when he saw a masked man, armed with a gun, outside his home close to his KIA Sportage SUV, which his wife drove to work that day. He was at the time in the living room of the house, looking out through a security gate at what was taking place outside the house.

He said he heard his wife scream. Coolman admitted he did not call the police 999 emergency number or contact a neighbour or the Lange Park security patrol unit. He said he did not speak with his neighbours so he did not have a number for anyone.

He said his first reaction was to contact the Anti-Kidnapping Unit (AKU), and did not consider anything further than that.

Coolman was at the time being questioned by attorney Kwesi Bekoe, who represents Shervon Peters at the trial.

Bekoe: Did you have a good reason for not rendering assistance?

Coolman: I had a reason. I didn’t say it was a good reason.

Bekoe: When you looked outside your wife needed help.

Coolman: You could say that... She appeared to be in distress.

Bekoe: Did you go help her?

Coolman: No, I did not.

Bekoe: Instead you ran and hide.

Coolman: I did not run and hide. I moved away from the front door out of the view of the gunman.

Bekoe: You saw she was in danger?

Coolman: Yes.

Bekoe: You looked outside and gave no attention to rendering assistance to your wife?

Coolman: That is correct.

The attorney’s line of questioning changed. Bekoe enquired from Coolman if he ever entertained some fear that the police would charge him for kidnapping his wife.

“Never...No,” was Coolman’s response.

It was after Bekoe asked Coolman if he paid “anything to someone who represented themselves to be from the DPP’s office” that an objection was raised by the prosecution and jurors were dismissed for the day.

Vindra’s abduction

Earlier in his testimony, a composed Coolman recounted the night his wife was abducted and the ensuing weeks when calls were received from her mobile phone, including one which appeared to be a recording of Naipaul-Coolman’s voice.

Coolman and his wife were in a common-law relationship for eight years before they got married one year before she was abducted. Coolman said his wife came home at about 8.25 pm. He expected her to be home at 8 pm. He returned home from work as the campus coordinator at the University of UTT at about 6 pm.

He was in the living room having dinner when he heard the front electronic gate open. The couple’s housekeeper, Rasheedan Yacoob, went towards the front door, which was open. The iron security gate was locked.

“She screamed out, turned around and screamed to me, ‘No, No’,” he said.

Coolman said he looked outside and saw a man in a black ski mask at the back of his SUV, moving towards the front of the vehicle. He said he was about ten feet away from the person when the person turned towards him.

“I moved away from the front door and went to the dining room area. During that time I heard gunshots. They were quick...rapid. I was really shocked and very scared. I heard Vindra scream and I heard three more gunshots then the vehicle drove away,” Coolman said.

The entire incident lasted about five minutes, he said.

Coolman said he went into the kitchen and “peeped out” the window. “I looked outside. I saw only my vehicle in the driveway,” he said. Coolman said he asked his wife’s daughter Risha, who had come downstairs with her three children, for the number of a friend of hers who was a policeman.

He said he spoke to the person and also called the AKU.

Coolman said the police arrived about ten minutes later. Coolman said he went outside where he saw three holes in the back window on the passenger side. Towards the back of the vehicle, there was blood and his wife’s temporary dental implant with a tooth, which she got a few months before.

“I have never seen her since,” Coolman said. The day after Naipaul-Coolman’s abduction, police arrived at her home where they installed a voice recording device on the telephones as well as the mobile phone belonging to her youngest brother, Anand Naipaul.

The phone calls

Coolman said he was present when they received the calls from Vindra’s bmobile number 704- 3999. The calls were made to Anand’s mobile phone. The calls were answered by Naipaul- Coolman’s elder brother, Ryan Naipaul, who pretended to be Coolman.

The first call came in at about 9 pm the night Naipaul-Coolman was kidnapped. Ryan took the call.

“It was an arrangement for Ryan to act as myself to answer the phone when the calls came,” Coolman said. “He said, ‘This is Rennie Coolman. Husband of Vindra Naipaul. The caller hesitated and then asked to speak to Anand Naipaul. He said Anand Naipaul dropped off the phone at home and was not there. The caller continued to insist to speak to Anand.”

On December 24, at about 9 pm another call was received.

“Ryan said before we can have a further conversation, he would have to speak to Vindra to ensure she was alive. The call said he couldn’t bring Vindra to the phone. There was an agreement to take a question to Vindra and take the response and call back with the answer,” Coolman continued.

On Christmas Day (December 25) at 2 am another called was received from Naipaul-Coolman’s bmobile number to Anand’s mobile phone.

The caller, Coolman said, sounded like a man. The question Coolman prepared was for his wife to give the house number where his son Reyaz lived.

He said it was a very unique question as few people locally would know the answer.

Coolman said the caller called and provided Ryan with the answer and also gave the full address of the house and asked, “You want more?”

“Ryan said yes, give it to us,” Coolman said. The caller further provided them with the date of Vindra and Coolman’s wedding and where they spent their honeymoon.

The next call was received on January 6, more than two weeks after Naipaul-Coolman was abducted, at 9 pm.

The same caller asked to speak with Anand or his father (Naipaul Sukdeo). “Ryan offered $32,000 towards payment to release her.

The caller did not want to negotiate with Ryan posing as myself but insisted on speaking to Anand or his father. There was no agreement and the caller hung up,” Coolman said. Anand and his father were the owners of the Xtra Foods supermarket chain of which Naipaul- Coolman was the chief executive officer (CEO).

Coolman said he was aware that $120,000 was paid for his wife’s release.

Another call was received two weeks after January 6, and again Ryan told the caller they would increase the payment to $70,000 if they sold the vehicle.

Coolman said the caller indicated he was not “interested..that he knew my situation and wanted to speak to Anand or his father.”

Ryan was still pretending to be Coolman.

There was another call three weeks after that. It was the same caller. This time the caller volunteered to have Naipaul-Coolman speak to her relatives.

“The caller hung up and called back three hours later,” Coolman said. When the caller called back, Coolman said, “I heard a voice that appeared to be Vindra’s voice.”

He said the voice said,“I am Vindra Naipaul-Coolman. I am injured.”

“Ryan said, ‘Vindra, Vindra this is Rennie are you okay? There was no response. The person hung up and called back a few minutes later. Ryan indicated that it did not appear to be Vindra....that it appeared to be a recording.”

Coolman said after that they received no further calls.

On January 31, 2007, Coolman said he handed over his wife’s hairbrush, toothbrush, shaver, perfume, an Aloe Vera gel tube and a music CD to the police.

‘I was not involved in Xtra Foods’

Led into evidence by special prosecutor Dana Seetahal, SC, Coolman said he was never involved in his wife’s business, although he visited the supermarket on occasions.

In cross examination, Coolman said his wife was the CEO for five years they were together. “I was not involved in the business,” he said.

Coolman said as far as he was aware it was profitable. “We spoke about the business. There were no secrets between us,” he said.

Bekoe: She was careful not to have you involved in the business.

Coolman: I won’t say that. We had an open relationship. We’d speak about her job and my job.

He again agreed he was not involved in the supermarket, and as CEO if his wife wanted, she could have involved him in it.

Bekoe: She was careful not to allow you to reap financial benefits from it.

Coolman: I won’t say that.

Bekoe: What benefit did you derive?

Coolman: On one occasion I made a trip abroad. We traveled to Colombia for a food symposium she attended.

Coolman said at the time of the incident he was the campus coordinator at the TT Institute of Technology in Point Lisas. Prior to that he worked as the process engineering manager at TT Methanol Company, also in Point Lisas. His qualifications as an engineer were also questioned by Bekoe who began asking him about which university he received his Bachelors and Masters in Process Engineering. Coolman indicated he did so at the University of Toronto, downtown campus at College Street. Bekoe’s questioning was curtailed by trial judge, Justice Malcolm Holdip who told the attorney to bring his questioning back to Trinidad, despite protests that he was dealing with the credibility of the witness.

He also said he had a good relationship with Naipaul-Coolman’s daughter and still did. Coolman will continue his testimony when the trial resumes on Monday.

On trial are Shervon “Buffy” Peters; Keida Garcia, Marlon “Mad Man Marlon” Trimmingham; Earl “Bobo” Trimmingham; Ronald “22” Armstrong; Antonio “Hedges” Charles; Joel “Ninja” Fraser; Lyndon “Iron” James; Allan “Scanny” Martins; Devon “Blackboy” Peters; Anthony Dwayne Gloster, also called Anthony Peters and Jamile “WASA” Garcia. A 13th accused, Raphael Williams, died in prison in 2011.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: 3 confess to Vindra’s murder
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2014, 01:53:02 AM »
Rennie Coolman admits to court: I paid $50,000 to Bribe DPP
By Derek Achong (Guardian)

Coolman: I paid $75,000 to bribe state officials Emotions made me do it

Stricken by the fear of being innocently prosecuted for his wife’s kidnapping, Rennie Coolman paid $75,000 to a conwoman who promised to assist by bribing senior prosecutors into forgoing investigating him. Coolman made the admission yesterday while being grilled for over three hours by defence attorney Mario Merritt, who is representing two of the dozen men accused of murdering his wife Vindra Naipaul-Coolman.

While under cross examination in the Hall of Justice, Port-of-Spain, Coolman admitted he was contacted by the woman, who pretended to be attached to the office of the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), several months after his wife was kidnapped from their Lange Park, Chaguanas home on December 19, 2006.

Although the alleged fraudster’s name was mentioned several times during yesterday’s hearing, trial Judge Malcolm Holdip requested that her name be withheld in media reports to avoid her being prejudiced in her pending court case in the matter. Coolman said the woman first went to his workplace, where she obtained his cellphone number which she used to contact him.

Merritt was able to get Coolman to admit he paid the woman $50,000 to bribe the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), in addition to $25,000 to bribe Senior Counsel Israel Khan, who is prosecuting the case. “My emotions made me do what I did,” Coolman said. He said in April 2007 he met the woman at Abercromby Street, Port-of-Spain, near to the Hall of Justice, to make the payment, but denied being aware that Khan’s office was located nearby.

Merritt then attempted to ask Coolman if he knew his actions were illegal, but was stopped by an objection from prosecutors before Coolman could respond. After they addressed the objections in chamber and returned to court, Merritt began asking Coolman about his reasoning for paying the bribes. Merritt: You did nothing wrong and you still parted with your $75,000?

Coolman: Yes. Merritt: What made you give up your hard earned money...your wife’s money? Coolman: It was said to me that I would be charged innocently without evidence. Merritt: You were told that you would be charged innocently without evidence? Coolman: That’s right. Merritt: You know that the police charge people innocently without evidence? Coolman: Yes.

Although Coolman’s extra-judicial attempt at evading the police investigation was seemingly successful, the campus manager at the University of T&T (UTT) claimed he only realised that he was being fleeced when the woman contacted him a second time and demanded a further payment. Merritt: Why did you not pay the $200,000? Coolman: I decided this was a major fraud ... I realised that she probably would continue and I had to take some form of action. Merritt: You didn’t want to part with your money?

Coolman: I decided to make the call because I didn’t want it to continue. Despite his candid confession, State prosecutors quickly objected when Merritt began suggesting to Coolman that he was directly involved in his wife’s abduction. A demure Coolman was also asked why he did not utilise the $400,000 he had in a joint account with his deceased wife to assist in paying the ransom for her release.

He responded: “They did not demand or request any ransom. They continously asked to speak with her brother Anand Naipaul and her father. They did not want to negotiate with me.” During his gruelling cross-examination, Merritt repeatedly enquired about Coolman’s relationship with his wife while alluding that the couple had issues with their relationship.

However, Coolman denied these assertions, stating: “We had an excellent relationship.” Merritt also sought to identify inconsistencies with the evidence Coolman gave during his wife’s preliminary inquiry, two weeks ago in the trial and in a book he co-authored.  The inconsistency dealt with if Coolman saw the firearms which were allegedly used by his wife’s kidnappers. Merritt claimed Coolman first said he did not see any firearms, then changed his story when he began testifying in the trial two Thursdays ago. Merritt will continue his cross-examination this morning.

Who’s in court

The dozen men before the jury and Justice Malcolm Holdip are: Allan “Scanny” Martin, twin brothers Shervon and Devon Peters, siblings Keida and Jamille Garcia and their older brother Anthony Dwayne Gloster, brothers Marlon and Earl Trimmingham, Ronald Armstrong, Antonio Charles, Joel Fraser and Lyndon James. A 13th man, Raphael Williams, was charged with the crime but died in prison in 2011 of complications from sickle-cell anaemia.

Legal team

Their legal team includes Ulric Skerritt, Joseph Pantor, Selwyn Mohammed, Lennox Sankersingh, Ian Brooks, Wayne Sturge, Mario Merritt, Richard Valere, Kwesi Bekoe, Colin Selvon, Vince Charles, Christian Chandler, Delicia Helwig and Alexia Romero. The prosecution team includes Senior Counsel Israel Khan, Gilbert Peterson and Dana Seetahal, who are being assisted by senior state prosecutors Joy Balkaran and Kelly Thompson.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2014, 11:01:42 AM »
if he not involved in one way or another I is d queen of Sheba..............he movin like ah man who cook ah plan, but doh have d nerve to absorb pressure til d heat off..........it defies logic that he was never pursued as a major suspect, given all dat went on with him......and the revelations that came to light and still surfacing
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2014, 11:42:34 AM »
if he not involved in one way or another I is d queen of Sheba..............he movin like ah man who cook ah plan, but doh have d nerve to absorb pressure til d heat off..........it defies logic that he was never pursued as a major suspect, given all dat went on with him......and the revelations that came to light and still surfacing

He not involved... the defense strategy reveals as much.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2014, 12:25:15 PM »

He not involved... the defense strategy reveals as much.

dat would make him ah dotish coward then........because if yuh feel d need to even consider bribes when yuh innocent .........

edit

or an opportunistic predator ..... doing nothing isn't a crime.... he din even call d police
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:37:17 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2014, 12:49:16 PM »
dat would make him ah dotish coward then........because if yuh feel d need to even consider bribes when yuh innocent .........

edit

or an opportunistic predator ..... doing nothing isn't a crime.... he din even call d police

Dotish for falling for the ruse... perhaps.  Coward for not going to his wife's rescue... perhaps.  Not sure how it makes him an "opportunistic predator" though, eventually he did call the police.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2014, 01:40:50 PM »
Not sure how it makes him an "opportunistic predator" though, eventually he did call the police.

the seeming lack of urgency or good sense in his reaction to the situation.....yuh have to admit dat was off...even if yuh nervous or frighten
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2014, 01:51:23 PM »
Not sure how it makes him an "opportunistic predator" though, eventually he did call the police.

the seeming lack of urgency or good sense in his reaction to the situation.....yuh have to admit dat was off...even if yuh nervous or frighten

Seeming lack of urgency?  They contacted police within minutes of her getting kidnapped.  This whole bribery thing came about in the days/weeks after.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2014, 01:56:40 PM »
not first according to reports ....which is kinda crazy in the circumstances

but if he jus a dotish coward and is innocent ......there is now plenty doubt to fuel speculation.......which put him in a very curious position.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 02:00:02 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2014, 08:26:26 PM »
not first according to reports ....which is kinda crazy in the circumstances

but if he jus a dotish coward and is innocent ......there is now plenty doubt to fuel speculation.......which put him in a very curious position.

‘I WAS SCARED’
By Jada Loutoo (Newsday).
Friday, April 4 2014

Coolman said the police arrived about ten minutes later. Coolman said he went outside where he saw three holes in the back window on the passenger side. Towards the back of the vehicle, there was blood and his wife’s temporary dental implant with a tooth, which she got a few months before.

There is no "plenty doubt"... people just need to follow the narrative and not get distracted by the doubt that the defense attorney trying to sow.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 08:28:49 PM by Bakes »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2014, 02:01:28 AM »
Accused: Body cut into pieces with electric saw, placed in garbage bags, temporarily buried, then dug up and disposed of
By Rickie Ramdass (Express)

VINDRA DUMPED AT SEA

JURORS in the Vindra Naipaul-Coolman murder trial yesterday heard how the Chaguanas businesswoman’s body was cut into pieces with an electric saw, placed in garbage bags and temporarily buried before being dug up and dumped out at sea.

The source of that information came from an interview conducted between Earl “Bobo” Trimmingham, one of the accused men, and homicide detectives in May 2007.

During the interview, Trimmingham allegedly confessed to hearing one of his co-accused in late November or December 2006, saying there was a “wuk” to be carried out.

He allegedly said that in December, he saw another co-accused removing a woman of East Indian descent from inside a vehicle. The woman’s hands and feet were bound with duct tape, he was recorded as saying.

Trimmingham spoke of how in the later days, he again saw the woman, whom he then realised was Naipaul-Coolman, lying on a pool table in a small red-brick house at La Puerta, Diego Martin. At the time she appeared to be dead, he said.

He said he saw his co-accused taking turns in cutting up her body on the pool table with the electric saw and placing the body parts in garbage bags, before they proceeded to a hilly area where the body was buried. Trimmingham said he also accompanied the men to the burial spot.

The body was subsequently removed from the hole and taken to Carenage where it was placed in a boat, taken out to sea and dumped, Trimmingham was recoded as saying.

The interview was conducted between Trimmingham, Supt Jason Forde and WPC Johnson at the Port of Spain homicide office on May 12, 2007.

Following the reading of the interview notes to the jury, defence attorney Colin Selvon, who is representing Trimmingham, proceeded to cross-examine Forde on the authenticity of the interview notes. Selvon said it was a matter of law and his client’s constitutional rights to have an independent third party present during the interview.

Selvon questioned why this was not done but the officer said Trimmingham was advised of his rights to have a family member, Justice of the Peace or an attorney present but he did not make any request.

Forde, when questioned, said he was also unaware that Trimmingham on two previous occasions had refused to have an interview conducted.

On a number of occasions Justice Malcolm Holdip, who is presiding over the trial at the Second Criminal Court of the Hall of Justice, interrupted Selvon during his cross-examination of the officer, asking him to “move on” and not continue asking Forde the same questions he had already previously answered.

Naipaul-Coolman was chief executive officer of Xtra Foods Supermarket at Grand Bazaar when she was kidnapped from the driveway of her Radix Road, Lange Park, home on the night of December 19, 2006.

A $122,000 ransom payment was made for her release the next morning but she was never freed nor was her body ever found.
The trial will resume this morning when Forde will be further cross-examined.

The Accused:

Allan Martin
Shervon Peters
Keida Garcia
Marlon Trimmingham
Earl Trimmingham
Ronald Armstrong
Antonio Charles
Joel Fraser
Lyndon James
Devon Peters
Anthony Dwayne Gloster
Jamille Garcia

1]; } ?>