March 29, 2024, 05:56:27 AM

Author Topic: T&T U-17s concede another double.  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
T&T U-17s concede another double.
« on: March 07, 2007, 06:38:01 AM »
T&T U-17s concede another double.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/size]

The result of Tuesday’s second meeting between this country’s National Under 17 team and Mexico was another 2-0 victory for the visitors at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva. But it was also another encouraging performance by the junior “Soca Warriors” and head coach Anton Corneal felt there was sufficient evidence to suggest that the young team was making reasonable progress ahead of the final CONCACAF qualifying round towards the FIFA Under 17 World Championship in Korea.
“For the majority of the game we had a lot of good spells. We had good possession for long periods,” Corneal said after the match.
“We made blunders in dead ball situations and they were really defense blunders …we allowed players to come in front of us. We physically matched them and I think at times we outplayed them but again I told the boys we have nothing to show for it,” he continued.
“It is  going to take more effort than what we are seeing. It is reaching a stage now where we are seven weeks away and hoping to keep stepping up and nothing to show for it.”
Those words would have been said to make regular captain Jesse Fullerton and his teammates mindful of the fact that nothing will come easy for them over the next few weeks. The Fort Lauderdale-based goalie also got a taste of testing tims as he sat on the bench and looked on at second string Glenroy Samuel getting a chance to keep guard between the uprights.
On much more even surface than the first encounter at Fatima Grounds, T&T started the game alert and with zest against the sharp Mexicans. There was nothing to suggest that the hosts did not belong on the same field with the defending Under 17 World champions.
Chances were few in the opening stages but Mexico punished T&T for a lapse at the back from an incoming free kick and Raul Lopez made sure from inside the box. There was little Samuel could have done to prevent the boys in green and white from going 1-0 up on 19 minutes.
As the game progressed, Corneal brought on first match starter Chad De Freitas in place of Daniel Cyrus. And moments before the break, the midfielder directed his effort over bar in one of the few on goal attempts for the home team.
Five minutes into the second half though, Stephen Knox brought the best out of Mexican custodian Alfredo Medina. The striker collected firmly atop the box and showed excellent technique in shifting his body into position and firing goalwards, forcing Medina to push over bar.
Within a couple minutes after the 55 minute mark, Samuel had to do some work to keep the score at 1-0. First he had to stop Christian Hernandez’s header and then  was sufficiently alert to hold on to Heriberto Hernandez’s snap shot.
T&T never struggled to mount attacks and should have at least brought more testing times for Medina. In the 61st minute Daniel Joseph dragged his effort wide of the far left post when a better directed effort could have had the ‘keeper in danger.
On 70 minutes, T&T pushed forward but De Freitas’ delivery from the right touch line had too much on it, by passing the couple T&T shirts supporting on the inside.
In the 74th minute, Mexico almost made good on one of their trademark counters. Substitute Edgarivan Rodriguez collected under no pressure on the break, just as the T&T defense was caught unclear of the play, but fortunately for Corneal’s boys, the Mexican sent the ball wide of the right post.
Four substitutions were made by T&T in the closing 12 minutes with Franz Husbands, midfielder Sean De Silva, Kevin Molino and Isaiah Ferguson all coming on, but to little avail and Mexico would finish the game off nine minutes from time. Rodriguez would deliver a left side corner and Jose Preciado, with no pressure on him, headed the ball past Samuel from the six yard box. The result stood at the end of full time but Mexican head coach Jesus Ramirez, who guided Mexico to the title in Peru 2005, said he was grateful for a stern challenge from T&T which was also looked at by scouts from Costa Rica and the United States in the two warm ups here.
Speaking with the aid of a translator, he said: “It was a very good game and it gave me chance to see my players under different conditions. I got to see how they can adapt.
“I like Trinidad’s style of play. I like how they are practicing a lot of offense in their game and they were able to give us a good test,” said Ramirez. But he did warn T&T to be  well prepared to face Costa Rica in the qualifiers.
“Costa Rica has a good team. The style of the two teams will be very different so you have to be very well prepared for them.”
Corneal knows that well and is expected to witness  one of their upcoming friendlies and hopes to have the T&T team go on a training camp in the United States for two games, one against a professional team and a university outfit.
He doesn’t want to peak before time though.
“I thought we did well in midfield, we closed them down defensively and we actually spread the ball from side to side,” he said in reference to the second loss.
“In the second half we had some shots on goal and kept them backing in defense.
This was a much better performance but a lot could do with the field. We adjusted well. It was really a good game to look at if not with the result we want and somewhere along the line we have to break that pattern.
“We are seven weeks away. We are game ready a little bit but it is frightening. We are seven weeks away and we are pretty much still building on it…our fitness…our defensive play… and we have not done a lot on set plays and closer to the tournament we will do that,” he assured.

T&T: - 21.Glenroy Samuel, 2.Mark Rivers, 3.Ryan O'Neil (capt), 4.Sheldon Bateau, 14.Jean Luc Rochford (Aubrey Davis) (13.Isaiah Ferguson), 20.Daniel Cyrus (9.Chad De Freitas), 6.Leston Paul (8.Sean De Silva), 15.Chike Sullivan (16.Akeem Dillon), 18.Micah Lewis (19.Kevin Molino), 10.Stephan Knox, 11.Daniel Joseph (5.Akeem Adams).

Mexico: - Alfredo Medina, Christian Vazquez (Jose Preciado 46th), Daniel Fraire, Nestor Abundis (Juan Ayala 66th), Alberto Pacheco (Isaac Munoz 46th), Raul Lopez (Ulises Plascencia 46th), Christian Hernandez (Kristian Nuno 72nd), Francisco Mejia (Erbin Macedo 33rd) (Edgarivan Rodriguez 60th), Carlos Armas (Andres Enriquez 46th), Jesus Millan, Heriberto Hernandez.
Mexican U-17 Coach: T&T are great opponents.
By: Randy Bando (ttproleague.com).

Mexico’s National Under-17 Head Coach Jesus Ruvalcaba was a very satisfied man after his team’s second victory over their Trinidad and Tobago counterparts at the Ato Boldon Stadium on Tuesday night.
Coach Ruvalcaba didn’t only express his pleasure in his team’s 2-0 victory over the ‘Young Warriors’, he was also very pleased that the Caribbean team had done extremely well on the field of play.
Ruvalcaba told ‘ttproleague.com’, through an interpreter, “I like the style of Trinidad and Tobago’s football. The fact that they practice a vocation of offensive football, it was good for us. I am actually glad that we got a team who is confident enough to actually test my squad of players as we also prepare for the U-17 World Cup. Trinidad and Tobago have been great opponents in both practice matches.
The triumphant coach also explained, “Both matches against Trinidad and Tobago were very good ones, because these matches gave me the opportunity to observe my players under different conditions and to assess how well they would adapt to a different environment,” ended the Mexican national Under-17 Coach.
Defending World Champions Mexico are grouped with El Salvador, Mexico and Group A hosts country Honduras. These matches are set for the Tiburcio Carias Andino Stadium in Tegucigalpa and would run from April 4-8. The top two teams from CONCACAF Final Round Group A along with the top three of Group B will progress to the FIFA U-17 World Cup Korea Republic 2007.

Second match link
Mexico double up against Under-17s.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

Corneal anxious for result.

"I am a little bit disappointed," said Trinidad and Tobago under-17 and assistant senior team coach, Anton Corneal. "I felt we did enough to at least get a draw and to come away with nothing is disappointing."
On Tuesday evening at Couva's Ato Boldon Stadium, the Trinidad and Tobago under-17 team lost 2-0 to Mexico for the second time in three days.
Mexico 's junior squad was the last FIFA Under-17 World Cup champions, two years ago, and, although their technical director Jesus Ruvalcaba is leading a new troop of youngsters, the international friendlies were meant to gauge the development of Corneal's squad.
Last August, Corneal led the under-16 squad to third place at the Caribbean Football Union (CFU), which was contested in Trinidad and Tobago , and was heckled by some supporters as the host nation were outplayed by Haiti at the semi-final stage.
But there were no complaints at Couva or Fatima College's ground-the site of the team's last two outings-as the young "Soca Warriors" showed courage and tactical discipline against one of CONCACAF's most formidable teams.
Another seven weeks remain before the real test starts on April 24 in Jamaica where Trinidad and Tobago would compete with Costa Rica , Canada , the United States and the host country for three Under-17 World Cup places.
If the local team can maintain their intensity, the chance of a World Cup berth might not be as far fetched as it appeared seven months ago.
On Sunday, the uneven, bouncy Fatima College surface contributed to a scrappy match and it was felt that the superior facilities would play into the hands of the visiting Mexico team.
Instead, it was the Warriors who started brighter and the first two chances of the match went to the hosts.
Trinidad and Tobago striker Daniel Joseph's low angled shot in the 7th minute brought a low save by Mexican goalkeeper Alfredo Medina while the custodian was beaten, four minutes later, after impressive approach play by Stephen Knox and Joseph fashioned an opportunity for midfielder Leston Paul, whose half volley was blocked on the goal line by a Mexican defender.
Yet, it was Mexico who opened the score summary after 21 minutes as gifted winger Jesus Millan delivered an incisive low cross that was emphatically dispatched at the near post by striker Raul Lopez.
The goal sparked a mad scramble by the Mexican bench as coaches, substitutes and players alike hugged as though something more tangible than bragging rights was at stake. It was another hint at how seriously Mexico took the outing although the North American squad arguably traveled without its best two players, Chivas Guadalajara striker Ulises Davila and Barcelona ( Spain ) playmaker Jonathan dos Santos.
Paul and Knox came close from distance but the hosts again struggled to carve create clear chances and could only watch in dismay as Mexico got a second off the head of substitute Jose Preciado after an inswinging left side free kick.
"We let players get inside of us too often from dead ball situations," said Corneal. "That is definitely something we have to look at."
Corneal referred to a team weakness although, more often than not, it was left back Aubrey Davis who bore the brunt of T&T's shortcomings.
It did not help that the Vessigny Secondary left back was paired with Mexico 's most skillful player, Millan, who exploited his poor first touch by channeling passes into the defender before hustling him out of possession.
If Millan could not be faulted for singling out Davis, the same could not be said of some patrons who routinely jeered the 16-year-old schoolboy. It was a cruel introduction to international football for the youngster, who missed the last two tournaments through injury and chicken pox.
"He has got the right spirit and heart," said Corneal. "He just needs more exposure."
The performances of Davis' teammates were more encouraging but the verdict was the same. Corneal has just over a month to help his gutsy squad find a cutting edge.
Next on the agenda, the young Warriors travel to North America where they will be pitted against A' League team Charleston Battery as well as an undetermined collegiate and state outfit.
Corneal hopes that a winning mentality emerges from the heartbreak of close defeats away to Honduras and at home to Mexico.
"The games gave them confidence that they can play against teams of that caliber," said Corneal. "I think we were even better (on Tuesday) because we kept the ball more and were able to get into more attacking positions But I want them to know that it is not okay to lose, even if we played well." The test of their education will come in late April.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 08:01:57 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T U-17s concede another double.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 01:57:42 PM »
Mexican Under-17 Coach: Trinidad and Tobago are great opponents.
By Randy Bando (ttproleague.com).

Mexico’s National Under-17 Head Coach Jesus Ruvalcaba was a very satisfied man after his team’s second victory over their Trinidad and Tobago counterparts at the Ato Boldon Stadium on Tuesday night.
Coach Ruvalcaba didn’t only express his pleasure in his team’s 2-0 victory over the ‘Young Warriors’, he was also very pleased that the Caribbean team had done extremely well on the field of play.
Ruvalcaba told ‘ttproleague.com’, through an interpreter, “I like the style of Trinidad and Tobago’s football. The fact that they practice a vocation of offensive football, it was good for us. I am actually glad that we got a team who is confident enough to actually test my squad of players as we also prepare for the U-17 World Cup. Trinidad and Tobago have been great opponents in both practice matches.
The triumphant coach also explained, “Both matches against Trinidad and Tobago were very good ones, because these matches gave me the opportunity to observe my players under different conditions and to assess how well they would adapt to a different environment,” ended the Mexican national Under-17 Coach.
Defending World Champions Mexico are grouped with El Salvador, Mexico and Group A hosts country Honduras. These matches are set for the Tiburcio Carias Andino Stadium in Tegucigalpa and would run from April 4-8. The top two teams from CONCACAF Final Round Group A along with the top three of Group B will progress to the FIFA U-17 World Cup Korea Republic 2007.

Second match link
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 05:36:21 AM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Papachunks

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 07:51:44 PM »
I hadda say, this youth team is looking real boss...i never see a trini team pass de ball short like this one before. Thas a really encouraging ting, men keepin possession, intelligent short passing. I cyah wait to see dis crop of players makin the senior team.

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 08:07:27 PM »
i watch the both games these youths playin real good football
football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 11:53:49 AM »
i watch the both games these youths playin real good football

So why we cah score 1 goal after two games or force a 1-1 draw. We playing on home turf, what going to happen on the road ???

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 10:01:54 PM »
Once they improve with every game it will be nice
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>