June 15, 2024, 12:30:17 PM

Author Topic: Bombastic Trinidadians !!!!  (Read 7608 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bombastic Trinidadians !!!!
« on: March 25, 2007, 08:50:17 AM »
Bombastic Trinidadians
Jamaica Gleaner
published: Sunday | March 25, 2007

Dawn Ritch, Columnist

Any reader will know that I think the country's domestic financial sector was handed to Trinidad and Barbados on aplatter. By any measure this is a strategic industry.

Also by any measure there is nothing more bombastic than a Trinidadian. The Barbadians are still conscious of the fact that they occupy a little atoll, even if its real estate prices now beat those of the Bahamas, which were high to begin with. Their sea-front villas are being snapped up by rich people from the industrialised world. As a direct consequence, the Barbadian prime minister has had to defend himself against charges of selling out the country to rich foreigners. In effect, he's replied that he doesn't regret it.

In the case of Trinidad, nobody wants to live down there because there are poisonous snakes and no mountains. Murder down there makes a speciality of mutilation. The only part of that country which is any good is the island of Tobago. But a luxury hotel there has made its guests violently ill three times over the last five years according to the Sunday Times, a U.K. newspaper. It seems to me nobody would want to go there, except another Trinidadian.

But they all want to come here, and they've always wanted to come here. First, the black ones came because the Indians were running them out. Now that the blacks are in control down there, the Indians have come to Jamaica to run our show up here. They're making a very bad job of it.

Trinidadians recently bought our cement company. For the first time in its long and proud history, this venerable institution under their ownership manufactured and sold rotten cement. An absolute disgrace, this brought the Jamaican construction sector to its knees, and sharply reduced our overall growth and income while costing us individually millions of dollars, not to mention the lost time for which they refuse to compensate.

A j'can would not dare

No Jamaican, nor Jamaican company, would have been able to go to Trinidad under any circumstances, and have the freedom to do that without being immediately terminated, and run out of the country on a rail. Indeed, no Jamaican in Jamaica would have dared to do that without Dr. Omar Davies, Minister of Finance, intervening, and with police to boot.

This raises the question of how, after such reckless and disastrous management of a major strategic monopoly and resource, the Trinidadians could have continued to own the Jamaican cement company. This is an outright failure in public administration.

The Jamaican Manufacturers' Associa-tion and the Jamaica Chamber of Commerce were silent throughout the whole thing. Not a word was heard from them about the Trinidadian buy-out and the Trinidadian-engineered collapse of the Jamaican construction industry. Now that Trinidad recently reneged on a deal to sell this country liquefied natural gas (LNG) so one of the bauxite companies here can expand, these local organisations are beside themselves with indignation.

There is no doubt that the bauxite industry is vital, but so were the financial and construction sectors. Nevertheless there is suddenly a big hue and cry, about how wicked the Trinidadians are, when all they're doing is what comes naturally.

I'd much rather buy oil and LNG from Venezuela any day. The Bol?var letter is the symbol of the long historical relationship between our two countries. These Trinidadians, all they do is pack up the place and get in the way.

The Jamaican Prime Minister's first overseas trip was to Trinidad to tie up the LNG deal. Then she made an arrangement for fuel with Venezuela. Trinidad went into an uproar saying we'd broken the spirit of CARICOM. Even the Opposition greatly lamented the Venezuelan deal at the time, and cited the politics of its president Hugh Ch?vez as a concern. But the Opposition has been remarkably silent about Trinidad's reneging on its fuel supply deal with Jamaica. This leaves one to wonder whether or not they now support the CSME, thereby reversing the policy of the Jamaica Labour Party.

art of double-speak
It seems to me therefore, that a too precious and highly selective species of condemnation is making the rounds. Everybody is talking as though they have mastered the art of double-speak.

The Trinidadian government has run a full-page advertisement to say, among other things, that they advised ours to ask Venezuela to supply us with LNG instead. Chronologically and otherwise, why would we need their advice on the matter?

Now that Venezuela has agreed to supply us, Trinidad wants the credit for it.

That Government effectively scuttles our bauxite expansion, and now they're claiming to have helped us along.

Well, bauxite expansion plans are back on track, but no thanks to them.

What the Jamaican Government must now have realised are baleful consequences of the Amerindian heritage of Trinidad. They are not Taino but Carib, and those were cannibals. We were not, and it's not part of our make-up. Murderous today, but still not cannibal.

The only thing to do with cannibals is drive them out with prosperity. That way we will have the economic independence to buy back that which they have gloatingly captured here on the cheap.

It really is an indignity to have been re-colonised by a people who were themselves colonised. Jamaica is supposed to be the leader of the Caribbean. We should not be dragged around like tin cans from the back of their ramshackle cart.

My one consolation is that Jamaica has long been the grave yard of champions. Even the once mighty Cable & Wireless has discovered that to their considerable discomfort.

The irony is that Michael Lee Chin who is a champion business sprinter in Jamaica, has stumbled in Trinidad. This has been met with great sympathy and surprise in Jamaica, though why I can't imagine.

Nobody goes to Trinidad, and I could have told him so.

But our economic collapse of the 1990s has made us mendicants, even to them. It was not always so, and will change again.

Trinidadians were among those who burnt down the computer room at the Sir George William University in Canada decades ago. Then it was a black power argument. Next, an attempted armed coup in their own Parliament. Now in that twin- island statethere is a Muslim problem. Can't anybody keep them away from us?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 10:40:04 AM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline noname

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bombastic Trinidadians !!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 10:35:42 AM »
Bombastic Trinidadians

Dawn Ritch, Columnist

Any reader will know that I think the country's domestic financial sector was handed to Trinidad and Barbados on aplatter. By any measure this is a strategic industry.

Also by any measure there is nothing more bombastic than a Trinidadian. The Barbadians are still conscious of the fact that they occupy a little atoll, even if its real estate prices now beat those of the Bahamas, which were high to begin with. Their sea-front villas are being snapped up by rich people from the industrialised world. As a direct consequence, the Barbadian prime minister has had to defend himself against charges of selling out the country to rich foreigners. In effect, he's replied that he doesn't regret it.

In the case of Trinidad, nobody wants to live down there because there are poisonous snakes and no mountains. Murder down there makes a speciality of mutilation. The only part of that country which is any good is the island of Tobago. But a luxury hotel there has made its guests violently ill three times over the last five years according to the Sunday Times, a U.K. newspaper. It seems to me nobody would want to go there, except another Trinidadian.

But they all want to come here, and they've always wanted to come here. First, the black ones came because the Indians were running them out. Now that the blacks are in control down there, the Indians have come to Jamaica to run our show up here. They're making a very bad job of it.

Trinidadians recently bought our cement company. For the first time in its long and proud history, this venerable institution under their ownership manufactured and sold rotten cement. An absolute disgrace, this brought the Jamaican construction sector to its knees, and sharply reduced our overall growth and income while costing us individually millions of dollars, not to mention the lost time for which they refuse to compensate.

A j'can would not dare

No Jamaican, nor Jamaican company, would have been able to go to Trinidad under any circumstances, and have the freedom to do that without being immediately terminated, and run out of the country on a rail. Indeed, no Jamaican in Jamaica would have dared to do that without Dr. Omar Davies, Minister of Finance, intervening, and with police to boot.

This raises the question of how, after such reckless and disastrous management of a major strategic monopoly and resource, the Trinidadians could have continued to own the Jamaican cement company. This is an outright failure in public administration.

The Jamaican Manufacturers' Associa-tion and the Jamaica Chamber of Commerce were silent throughout the whole thing. Not a word was heard from them about the Trinidadian buy-out and the Trinidadian-engineered collapse of the Jamaican construction industry. Now that Trinidad recently reneged on a deal to sell this country liquefied natural gas (LNG) so one of the bauxite companies here can expand, these local organisations are beside themselves with indignation.

There is no doubt that the bauxite industry is vital, but so were the financial and construction sectors. Nevertheless there is suddenly a big hue and cry, about how wicked the Trinidadians are, when all they're doing is what comes naturally.

I'd much rather buy oil and LNG from Venezuela any day. The Bol?var letter is the symbol of the long historical relationship between our two countries. These Trinidadians, all they do is pack up the place and get in the way.

The Jamaican Prime Minister's first overseas trip was to Trinidad to tie up the LNG deal. Then she made an arrangement for fuel with Venezuela. Trinidad went into an uproar saying we'd broken the spirit of CARICOM. Even the Opposition greatly lamented the Venezuelan deal at the time, and cited the politics of its president Hugh Ch?vez as a concern. But the Opposition has been remarkably silent about Trinidad's reneging on its fuel supply deal with Jamaica. This leaves one to wonder whether or not they now support the CSME, thereby reversing the policy of the Jamaica Labour Party.

art of double-speak
It seems to me therefore, that a too precious and highly selective species of condemnation is making the rounds. Everybody is talking as though they have mastered the art of double-speak.

The Trinidadian government has run a full-page advertisement to say, among other things, that they advised ours to ask Venezuela to supply us with LNG instead. Chronologically and otherwise, why would we need their advice on the matter?

That Government effectively scuttles our bauxite expansion, and now they're claiming to have helped us along.

What the Jamaican Government must now have realised are baleful consequences of the Amerindian heritage of Trinidad. They are not Taino but Carib, and those were cannibals. We were not, and it's not part of our make-up. Murderous today, but still not cannibal.

The only thing to do with cannibals is drive them out with prosperity. That way we will have the economic independence to buy back that which they have gloatingly captured here on the cheap.

It really is an indignity to have been re-colonised by a people who were themselves colonised. Jamaica is supposed to be the leader of the Caribbean. We should not be dragged around like tin cans from the back of their ramshackle cart.

My one consolation is that Jamaica has long been the grave yard of champions. Even the once mighty Cable & Wireless has discovered that to their considerable discomfort.

The irony is that Michael Lee Chin who is a champion business sprinter in Jamaica, has stumbled in Trinidad. This has been met with great sympathy and surprise in Jamaica, though why I can't imagine.

But our economic collapse of the 1990s has made us mendicants, even to them. It was not always so, and will change again.

Trinidadians were among those who burnt down the computer room at the Sir George William University in Canada decades ago. Then it was a black power argument. Next, an attempted armed coup in their own Parliament. Now in that twin- island statethere is a Muslim problem. Can't anybody keep them away from us?

That is certainly an emotionally charged piece. Shouldnt surprise anyone though. Still amazing that people can use literary license to get away with such rantings though.

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 11:11:32 AM »
I bet you is ah butch bitch with NO MAN...typical vitriolic shit from a woman who needs a man desperately.

triniman, you hard up...help we out nah....give she what she want.  and as yuh in Canada...pm meh ah have another client fuh yuh.

hahahahahahahahaha
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 10:30:17 PM by truetrini »

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 11:38:19 AM »
I can't believe what I am reading.  Jamaicans needs to show a little damn respect. It isn't our fault their dollar is 60$ to one US, and to be quite honest, some of what she says shows pure ignorance.  A Jamaican talking about the murder rate in Trinidad?  Please.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 11:41:19 AM »
IS either some triniman hit she ah horn....ah ah blank

or some corbeau shit in she cake. or carpuad pee in she mauby.
me eh even payigj this article no mind nah.....de first 4 lines was enough drivel to last ah lfetime

let them overs trini nah lewee see who will suffer in d e long run
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 11:44:35 AM »
::)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 12:32:00 PM »
what kinda assness i just read?
this is an article from the T&T Guardian that was in the Business Guardian section last week that address some of the stuff that the Jamaican woman carrying on about:

http://www.guardian.co.tt/bussguardian3.html

Who understands Jamaicans?

ON a Jamaican radio station on Monday, one of the hosts asked me what I thought about the trade war that some elements in the north Caribbean country (including the editorial writers of a major newspaper) are pushing their government to declare on T&T.
It is quite understandable that some Jamaicans are hurt by T&T’s apparent inability to fulfil its intention to supply liquefied natural gas (LNG) to Jamaica by 2009.
The LNG would lower Alcoa’s cost of production at its alumina refinery in Clarendon and as a result of the cogeneration of electricity, some of the LNG will be passed through to Jamaica’s electricity grid, lowering the cost of production in the wider economy.
So I do understand Jamaica’s position on this issue.
What I do not understand is the seeming widespread belief in Jamaica that Prime Minister Patrick Manning and National Gas Company (NGC) president Frank Look Kin are being economical with the truth when they attempt to explain why it would not be possible for T&T to supply LNG to Jamaica in two years time.
The Jamaicans who are commenting on this issue in the newspapers and on radio stations appear not to understand some of the basics of the LNG business.
They appear not to understand that Atlantic LNG, the company that produces LNG in Trinidad, is a commercial entity, that LNG is an extremely capital intensive business that deals in long-term contracts and that T&T is a minority shareholder in the business. State-owned NGC holds a ten per cent stake in Train I and an 11 per cent stake in Train IV and no equity in Trains II and III.
The Jamaicans appear not to understand that the natural gas that is liquefied comes from offshore platforms and the enterprise of discovering natural gas and transporting it by pipeline from offshore fields to Point Fortin is an expensive and risky business. And a business in which T&T is the junior partner in all things except tax collection.
It is this obvious lack of understanding that led an editorial writer in the Gleaner last week to conclude that the Manning administration was “clearly unwilling to take the kind of political decision that would be required to meet its obligation to a single market partner with which it enjoys a US$500 million trade surplus.”
The sentiment in the editorial is that the T&T Cabinet should breach long-term supply contracts with companies which are paying the market price for LNG to satisfy Jamaica, which wishes to pay less than the market price. The editorial went on to add that Atlantic LNG “prefers to meet contractual obligations in the United States and Europe.” It is beyond belief (to borrow from the title of VS Naipaul’s best non-fiction work) that a company and a country should be vilified for preferring to meet contractual obligations and vilified, as well, for failing to achieve its undertakings in non-binding MOUs—such as the ones with Jamaica.
It is almost as if Jamaica is doing T&T a favour by buying petroleum products (about 60 per cent of the total trade) and food and drink (about 40 per cent) from this country.
This country’s business community (and the Guardian’s editorial position is included here) has been maligned in the worst way by editorial writers, columnists and other commentators in Jamaica.
In newspapers and on radio talk shows in the last three weeks, T&T’s business community has been called “insular and selfish,” interested only in plundering Jamaica’s wealth, jingoistic and suffering from “economic myopia.”
The Jamaican government and people have been portrayed as rolling out the red carpet for T&T investors and bending over backwards to facilitate exports by T&T’s productive sector.
The evidence that is cited to prove that the Jamaica government has facilitated T&T firms is the fact that Trinidad firms and products have proliferated in the Jamaican market.
It is being said in Jamaica that while the country has bent over backwards to facilitate Trinidad firms, this country has used non-tariff barriers to block the establishment of Jamaican companies here.
Therefore, the perception that is being spread in Kingston is that T&T businessmen are privateers or marauders just waiting to pounce on any available “meat” and being encouraged to do so by a Jamaica government which epitomises the “true spirit” of Caricom and the CSME.
If you are as amazed and confounded as I am at the success of such a flagrant attempt to re-write very recent history between T&T and Jamaica, raise your hand.
Clearly, there are those in Jamaica who have not paid enough attention to economic and financial events in their own country in the last decade.
Some people choose to ignore the fact that Jamaica’s indigenous financial institutions went into melt-down mode a decade ago and that as a result, the Jamaican government felt it had to intervene to maintain confidence in the financial system.
That intervention cost the Jamaican people close to US$2 billion—money which the then PJ Patterson administration had to borrow.
As a result of the melt down and the intervention, investors from throughout the Caribbean were invited to save Jamaica. RBTT invested US$33 million to acquire Union Bank. TCL made an initial investment of US$29 million to buy the Jamaica government’s 43 per cent stake in Caribbean Cement. TCL also assumed US$100 million in debt and has made additional capital and equity investments in the Jamaican cement company.
Guardian Holdings acquired three companies. Sagicor bought Life of Jamaica for about US$350 million. Butch Stewart’s bought the Jamaica government’s majority stake in the 237-room Sandals Ocho Rios for US $14 million. Michael Lee Chin bought NCB Jamaica.
In other words, as a result of the financial melt-down ten or 11 years ago, the Jamaica government had to raise money by selling state-owned assets as well as borrow money to bail out financial institutions whose owners got rich by borrowing short and lending long.
Maybe there is a message and a warning in there somewhere for us here.

©2005-2006 Trinidad Publishing Company Limited
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 12:40:32 PM by grimm01 »

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 12:44:39 PM »
TCL made an initial investment of US$29 million to buy the Jamaica government’s 43 per cent stake in Caribbean Cement. TCL also assumed US$100 million in debt and has made additional capital and equity investments in the Jamaican cement company.

Well de whole JA article is total crap...and i eh go lie i get damn vex wen i see de ting bout TCL since family works there as have I...They took over a company in shambles and actually made it turn a profit..
SO screw da frigging author of dat shit article...
Back in Trini...

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 01:49:58 PM »
Doesn't Jamaica have a free market economy ? Didn't we rescue them from collapse ? This Dawn Ritch person obviously doesn't know what she's talking about. I'm surprised that the paper would even print that tripe. If it was a letter to the editor or something I would be bothered but she is a columnist. The Gleaner has certainly lost points in my book.

I would seriously like to learn about the catalog of injustices T&T has inflicted upon the Caribbean since independence.  :notlistening:

That victim culture that is brewing in JA is not good for anyone in CARICOM. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 08:36:49 PM by Jah Gol »

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 02:00:16 PM »
In the case of Trinidad, nobody wants to live down there because there are poisonous snakes and no mountains. Murder down there makes a speciality of mutilation.

I guess their murder is better than ours.

We go for quality while they go for quantity.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 02:58:52 PM »
It's so easy to divide this tiny archepelago... :(

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 03:07:14 PM »
Doesn't Jamaica have a free market economy ? Didn't we rescue them from collapse ? This Dawn Ritch person obviously doesn't know what she's talking about. I'm surprise that the paper would even print that tripe. If it was a letter to the editor or something I would be bothered but she is a columnist. The Gleaner has certainly lost points in my book.

I would seriously like to learn about the catalog of injustices T&T has inflicted upon the Caribbean since independence.  :notlistening:

That victim culture that is brewing in JA is not good for anyone in CARICOM. 
we didnt lend them enough money and tell dem doh boter to pay back.
we go take rice or somehting for it.
steups man doh pay then no mind it looking like just pure unadulterated bitterness
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 08:31:49 PM »
:yapping: :yapping:Doh worry with she iz bad piece ah weed  she smoke it hav she hallucinating .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 10:28:26 PM »
Steups. See why i say caribbean unity is as far fetched as Jack warner not running a scam? I doesnt like to get on like how Big Mag and Sam and dem does drop it....buh hearing nonsense like this is perfect example of the almost national scant regard and implicit hatred that trinis are viewed with. The fact that this was printed in a national paper makes it even worse.  But.......some does want to come and say...is one love and ting ting ting......as if i born yesterday.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 06:55:32 AM »
Bombastic Trinidadians
Jamaica Gleaner

Dawn Ritch, Columnist

A j'can would not dare

art of double-speak

Who de frig died and made Jamaica the leader in the Caribbean? Leading what? and more importantly, leading whom? ::)

What tripe!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 06:58:53 AM »
what kinda assness i just read?
this is an article from the T&T Guardian that was in the Business Guardian section last week that address some of the stuff that the Jamaican woman carrying on about:

http://www.guardian.co.tt/bussguardian3.html

Who understands Jamaicans?

ON a Jamaican radio station on Monday, one of the hosts asked me what I thought about the trade war that some elements in the north Caribbean country (including the editorial writers of a major newspaper) are pushing their government to declare on T&T.
It is quite understandable that some Jamaicans are hurt by T&T’s apparent inability to fulfil its intention to supply liquefied natural gas (LNG) to Jamaica by 2009.
The LNG would lower Alcoa’s cost of production at its alumina refinery in Clarendon and as a result of the cogeneration of electricity, some of the LNG will be passed through to Jamaica’s electricity grid, lowering the cost of production in the wider economy.
So I do understand Jamaica’s position on this issue.
What I do not understand is the seeming widespread belief in Jamaica that Prime Minister Patrick Manning and National Gas Company (NGC) president Frank Look Kin are being economical with the truth when they attempt to explain why it would not be possible for T&T to supply LNG to Jamaica in two years time.
The Jamaicans who are commenting on this issue in the newspapers and on radio stations appear not to understand some of the basics of the LNG business.
They appear not to understand that Atlantic LNG, the company that produces LNG in Trinidad, is a commercial entity, that LNG is an extremely capital intensive business that deals in long-term contracts and that T&T is a minority shareholder in the business. State-owned NGC holds a ten per cent stake in Train I and an 11 per cent stake in Train IV and no equity in Trains II and III.
The Jamaicans appear not to understand that the natural gas that is liquefied comes from offshore platforms and the enterprise of discovering natural gas and transporting it by pipeline from offshore fields to Point Fortin is an expensive and risky business. And a business in which T&T is the junior partner in all things except tax collection.
It is this obvious lack of understanding that led an editorial writer in the Gleaner last week to conclude that the Manning administration was “clearly unwilling to take the kind of political decision that would be required to meet its obligation to a single market partner with which it enjoys a US$500 million trade surplus.”
The sentiment in the editorial is that the T&T Cabinet should breach long-term supply contracts with companies which are paying the market price for LNG to satisfy Jamaica, which wishes to pay less than the market price. The editorial went on to add that Atlantic LNG “prefers to meet contractual obligations in the United States and Europe.” It is beyond belief (to borrow from the title of VS Naipaul’s best non-fiction work) that a company and a country should be vilified for preferring to meet contractual obligations and vilified, as well, for failing to achieve its undertakings in non-binding MOUs—such as the ones with Jamaica.
It is almost as if Jamaica is doing T&T a favour by buying petroleum products (about 60 per cent of the total trade) and food and drink (about 40 per cent) from this country.
This country’s business community (and the Guardian’s editorial position is included here) has been maligned in the worst way by editorial writers, columnists and other commentators in Jamaica.
In newspapers and on radio talk shows in the last three weeks, T&T’s business community has been called “insular and selfish,” interested only in plundering Jamaica’s wealth, jingoistic and suffering from “economic myopia.”
The Jamaican government and people have been portrayed as rolling out the red carpet for T&T investors and bending over backwards to facilitate exports by T&T’s productive sector.
The evidence that is cited to prove that the Jamaica government has facilitated T&T firms is the fact that Trinidad firms and products have proliferated in the Jamaican market.
It is being said in Jamaica that while the country has bent over backwards to facilitate Trinidad firms, this country has used non-tariff barriers to block the establishment of Jamaican companies here.
Therefore, the perception that is being spread in Kingston is that T&T businessmen are privateers or marauders just waiting to pounce on any available “meat” and being encouraged to do so by a Jamaica government which epitomises the “true spirit” of Caricom and the CSME.
If you are as amazed and confounded as I am at the success of such a flagrant attempt to re-write very recent history between T&T and Jamaica, raise your hand.
Clearly, there are those in Jamaica who have not paid enough attention to economic and financial events in their own country in the last decade.
Some people choose to ignore the fact that Jamaica’s indigenous financial institutions went into melt-down mode a decade ago and that as a result, the Jamaican government felt it had to intervene to maintain confidence in the financial system.
That intervention cost the Jamaican people close to US$2 billion—money which the then PJ Patterson administration had to borrow.
As a result of the melt down and the intervention, investors from throughout the Caribbean were invited to save Jamaica. RBTT invested US$33 million to acquire Union Bank. TCL made an initial investment of US$29 million to buy the Jamaica government’s 43 per cent stake in Caribbean Cement. TCL also assumed US$100 million in debt and has made additional capital and equity investments in the Jamaican cement company.
Guardian Holdings acquired three companies. Sagicor bought Life of Jamaica for about US$350 million.
Butch Stewart’s bought the Jamaica government’s majority stake in the 237-room Sandals Ocho Rios for US $14 million. Michael Lee Chin bought NCB Jamaica.
In other words, as a result of the financial melt-down ten or 11 years ago, the Jamaica government had to raise money by selling state-owned assets as well as borrow money to bail out financial institutions whose owners got rich by borrowing short and lending long.
Maybe there is a message and a warning in there somewhere for us here.

©2005-2006 Trinidad Publishing Company Limited

Ah like how we role up on dem and buy up companies like we playing monopoly ;D  leh we see how much more we cud buy oui ;)
Is capitalism allyuh want...as the say in hip hop parlance: you're now rocking with the best!!

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 06:55:30 AM »
i guess de does let anybody write fuh de Gleaner des days yes. Ignorant or not, yuh cah be dat chuppid tuh write such wothlessness. I betcha she ain't even do any research before she write this article.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 06:58:20 AM »

Who de frig died and made Jamaica the leader in the Caribbean? Leading what? and more importantly, leading whom? ::)

What tripe!!
in thier minds..Bob

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 07:04:58 AM »
...dropped a lil note off to the Gleaner. Interesting that not one Letter to the Editor appeared over this story - at least as far as I can see. Even more noteworthy is that the Gleaner printed it in the first place.
Not all that interested in the writer - bitter, misinformed people are a dime a dozen. Had I written something like this, my editors would drop me like I'm hot even if they agreed with me.
This isn't freedom of the press, it is mis-use of freedom.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 07:16:35 AM by Queen Macoomeh »

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 11:30:30 AM »

well if the Jakans agree with the sentiment.....

And from what I can tell they do....other than the extreme parts.

They really don't believe we running low on gas or don't care.  With all the effort that went into keeping the reserves thing a secret from the T&T public no surprise the Jakans tink we lying.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 02:21:32 PM »

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 04:39:48 PM »
what de hell!!!!!!!!! :D
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 12:07:35 PM »

Jamaica Gleaner
Adding insult to cement injury
published:Sunday | March 12, 2006

Dawn Ritch

THE CARIB Cement Company, like every other institution in Jamaica, is but a shadow of its former self. But nobody in the trade can remember them carpeting the country before with rotten cement.

Carib Cement became a publicly listed government-owned company which lost money. Before that it was a privately-owned Jamaican company that made money. Dr. Omar Davies Finance Minister decided to divest it, along with Jamaica Public Service, and a lot of other Jamaican assets that he merely melted down like so much gold ingot and sold exclusively to foreigners on the cheap. All this and more to fund the Government's recurrent expenditure.

Let the record show that no Jamaican investor was good enough for Dr. Davies. The island's strategic industries and services were sold to foreigners, mainly bumptious Trinidadians. The commanding heights of the economy, previously controlled by private Jamaicans and only after decades of struggle and indignities, were taken away from them by Dr. Davies' disastrous decade of financial policies which caused extensive business failure and debt.

He taunted Jamaican entrepreneurs from the television cameras saying "... only people with deep pockets, who are fit and proper persons' need bother apply for any government divestment in any sector. It was clear that Jamaicans not genetically linked to the People's National Party, were being excluded from that list. And so it was to prove.

Trinidadians bought Carib Cement a few years ago, and for the first time in our history the company distributed 500 metric tonnes of rotten cement islandwide. Some buildings have already had to be demolished.

To hear a Trinidadian accent on radio, belonging to the Carib Cement general manager, talking about 'cee-ment' in an emotionless tone, was to conjure up the image of all building stock over the last two years crumbling into dust around us. The new highway, the Riu and Fiesta hotels which would be better used as housing stock for hotel workers if they don't crumble, and of course the World Cup Cricket stadiums under construction in Kingston and Trelawny. That would cause a great big dust up indeed.

PROPOSED PRICE INCREASE

The one thing Jamaica hasn't done since the 1692 earthquake is crumble. Even in the 1907 earthquake the greatest damage was caused by fire. For 500 years Jamaicans knew how to build things, and for nearly a hundred years we had our own cement factory which produced world class cement from local gypsum and aggregates. That record was destroyed forever by the admission by the new Trinidadian owners of the company, that they have sold us rotten cement. And this only after they announced a proposed price increase of 12 1/2 per cent. This is adding insult to injury to the Jamaican people.

The insult began first with Omar Davies, who gave away the country's patrimony to foreigners, and disenfranchised the citizenry of this country from ownership for purely spurious reasons. No Jamaican ever made or sold rotten cement. The quality of our cement used to be something we could count on in Jamaica. Now we can't even count on that any more.

The only saving grace, and we will never know for sure, is that no Jamaican may have made that rotten cement. Carib Cement imports cement from Cuba, and doesn't clearly identify in its bagging between imported and domestic cement. They can know what caused the rottenness, but not where or when.

Dr. Davies ran a failing political campaign of 'world class' because he wasn't the genuine article. He demonstrated that by selling our light and power company to a bankrupt United States Company Mirant, and our monopoly cement installation to a bunch of Trinidadians who sold us rotten cement. Whatever happened to the proper due diligence that the Finance Minister promised us so many years ago, when he contemptuously excluded Jamaicans from participating in any divestment?

The cost of electricity is so far through the roof that people kill themselves to try to steal it. The rest of us are afraid to open the bill when it comes. Now the cement company doesn't know whose cement it is, or who they sold it to.

HARD CURRENCY PROFITS

That has been the story of this administration. They have problems with everything they touch. They have ruined the reputation of both the Jamaica Public Service and Carib Cement, while these companies remit burgeoning hard currency profits abroad. They have made the light bulb and a sound structure a luxury.

If this administration found they could not run large companies well because of genetically-connected persons on the board, then the sensible thing to have done was appoint competent boards. Former Prime Minister Edward Seaga ran a competent government in the 1980s because that is what he did. It was no secret.

But no, this Government had to select people for tasks based purely on the partisan and the personal. Then finding themselves failing they turn around and sell the country's best assets at give-away prices to selected overseas companies unable to manage them.

Nobody buying any building in Jamaica constructed in the last few years should therefore do so without a structural engineer's report on it. Every contract should have a provision requiring this report, and giving the purchaser the option to cancel if it's negative. These reports should be at the expense of Carib Cement.

The new owners gave the Government repeated assurances when they sought tariff protection against 'dumped' cement from Thailand, China and Indonesia that they could supply a quality product in sufficient quantities for local demand. Now we find that they can do neither. This is hardly sound corporate responsibility, much less fair competition.

In its defence the company says it didn't bank on heavy rains, an industrial strike, and that domestic demand would grow so. Well, this is Jamaica, not Trinidad. It rains in Jamaica, people go on strike, and our demand for cement will always grow. They should return the company to us because they've made a nonsense of it.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 01:07:48 PM »

With the kinda shit she talking this picture might as well be a caricature.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 01:15:49 PM »

With the kinda shit she talking this picture might as well be a caricature.

ah had to think about that for a second  :D

dat is ah real heights joke
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 01:22:48 PM »
single

sin·gle [ síng g'l ]

adjective 

Without spouse or partner: unmarried or unattached, or characteristic of this state

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2007, 01:39:47 PM »
single

sin·gle [ síng g'l ]

adjective 

Without spouse or partner: unmarried or unattached, or characteristic of this state
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
My word !....oh gosh  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
That mancut she have on she head ent really helping either . :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2007, 06:16:36 PM »
Rotten cement eh..... the question is how come they get in ah position fuh we to bail the arse out .. lady be thankful

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2007, 06:20:25 PM »

Jamaica Gleaner
Adding insult to cement injury
published:Sunday | March 12, 2006

Dawn Ritch

THE CARIB Cement Company, like every other institution in Jamaica, is but a shadow of its former self. But nobody in the trade can remember them carpeting the country before with rotten cement.

Carib Cement became a publicly listed government-owned company which lost money. Before that it was a privately-owned Jamaican company that made money. Dr. Omar Davies Finance Minister decided to divest it, along with Jamaica Public Service, and a lot of other Jamaican assets that he merely melted down like so much gold ingot and sold exclusively to foreigners on the cheap. All this and more to fund the Government's recurrent expenditure.

Let the record show that no Jamaican investor was good enough for Dr. Davies. The island's strategic industries and services were sold to foreigners, mainly bumptious Trinidadians. The commanding heights of the economy, previously controlled by private Jamaicans and only after decades of struggle and indignities, were taken away from them by Dr. Davies' disastrous decade of financial policies which caused extensive business failure and debt.

He taunted Jamaican entrepreneurs from the television cameras saying "... only people with deep pockets, who are fit and proper persons' need bother apply for any government divestment in any sector. It was clear that Jamaicans not genetically linked to the People's National Party, were being excluded from that list. And so it was to prove.

Trinidadians bought Carib Cement a few years ago, and for the first time in our history the company distributed 500 metric tonnes of rotten cement islandwide. Some buildings have already had to be demolished.

To hear a Trinidadian accent on radio, belonging to the Carib Cement general manager, talking about 'cee-ment' in an emotionless tone, was to conjure up the image of all building stock over the last two years crumbling into dust around us. The new highway, the Riu and Fiesta hotels which would be better used as housing stock for hotel workers if they don't crumble, and of course the World Cup Cricket stadiums under construction in Kingston and Trelawny. That would cause a great big dust up indeed.

PROPOSED PRICE INCREASE

The one thing Jamaica hasn't done since the 1692 earthquake is crumble. Even in the 1907 earthquake the greatest damage was caused by fire. For 500 years Jamaicans knew how to build things, and for nearly a hundred years we had our own cement factory which produced world class cement from local gypsum and aggregates. That record was destroyed forever by the admission by the new Trinidadian owners of the company, that they have sold us rotten cement. And this only after they announced a proposed price increase of 12 1/2 per cent. This is adding insult to injury to the Jamaican people.

The insult began first with Omar Davies, who gave away the country's patrimony to foreigners, and disenfranchised the citizenry of this country from ownership for purely spurious reasons. No Jamaican ever made or sold rotten cement. The quality of our cement used to be something we could count on in Jamaica. Now we can't even count on that any more.

The only saving grace, and we will never know for sure, is that no Jamaican may have made that rotten cement. Carib Cement imports cement from Cuba, and doesn't clearly identify in its bagging between imported and domestic cement. They can know what caused the rottenness, but not where or when.

Dr. Davies ran a failing political campaign of 'world class' because he wasn't the genuine article. He demonstrated that by selling our light and power company to a bankrupt United States Company Mirant, and our monopoly cement installation to a bunch of Trinidadians who sold us rotten cement. Whatever happened to the proper due diligence that the Finance Minister promised us so many years ago, when he contemptuously excluded Jamaicans from participating in any divestment?

The cost of electricity is so far through the roof that people kill themselves to try to steal it. The rest of us are afraid to open the bill when it comes. Now the cement company doesn't know whose cement it is, or who they sold it to.

HARD CURRENCY PROFITS

That has been the story of this administration. They have problems with everything they touch. They have ruined the reputation of both the Jamaica Public Service and Carib Cement, while these companies remit burgeoning hard currency profits abroad. They have made the light bulb and a sound structure a luxury.

If this administration found they could not run large companies well because of genetically-connected persons on the board, then the sensible thing to have done was appoint competent boards. Former Prime Minister Edward Seaga ran a competent government in the 1980s because that is what he did. It was no secret.

But no, this Government had to select people for tasks based purely on the partisan and the personal. Then finding themselves failing they turn around and sell the country's best assets at give-away prices to selected overseas companies unable to manage them.

Nobody buying any building in Jamaica constructed in the last few years should therefore do so without a structural engineer's report on it. Every contract should have a provision requiring this report, and giving the purchaser the option to cancel if it's negative. These reports should be at the expense of Carib Cement.

The new owners gave the Government repeated assurances when they sought tariff protection against 'dumped' cement from Thailand, China and Indonesia that they could supply a quality product in sufficient quantities for local demand. Now we find that they can do neither. This is hardly sound corporate responsibility, much less fair competition.

In its defence the company says it didn't bank on heavy rains, an industrial strike, and that domestic demand would grow so. Well, this is Jamaica, not Trinidad. It rains in Jamaica, people go on strike, and our demand for cement will always grow. They should return the company to us because they've made a nonsense of it.

She must have had some kind of personal run-in with a Trini in her past. 

1]; } ?>