March 29, 2024, 08:20:35 AM

Author Topic: death threat for striking against unpaid WC bonuses?  (Read 1593 times)

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
death threat for striking against unpaid WC bonuses?
« on: March 25, 2007, 01:47:42 PM »
Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor is considering his international future with Togo after receiving death threats prior to Saturday's 3-1 win over Sierra Leone.

Togo captain Adebayor led a protest ahead of their African Cup of Nations qualifier over unpaid bonus relating last summer's World Cup.

Coach Stephen Keshi persuaded the team to play in the qualifier for next year's event, but Adebayor has revealed he received death threats which have led him to contemplate quitting the Togo national side.

"Before the match, I received threats to my life warning me to play the match or else," he said.

"Thank God I scored two goals in this qualifying match against Sierra Leone.

"I am only trying to put certain things right and correct a few mistakes in Togolese football but it appears some people do not like it.

"I was convinced by my coach Stephen Keshi to rescind the decision.

"Now I am going to go back to Arsenal to think about my future. I have to protect my life and I have a family to look after."

Source: http://www.4thegame.com/club/afc/news/201958/adebayor_considers_future.html

Situation in Togo reminded me of TTFF.

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: death threat for striking against unpaid WC bonuses?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 01:57:21 PM »
LOL.... yuh ketch meh dey yes.... ah thought it was bout we bois...hehehe.....

but it is always a sad day when people feel it is wrong to stand up for your rights!!!!

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 02:10:33 PM »
as a player it should never come to the poing where you have to be concern about yuh life and yuh family. i guess we is not the only country that have Jackulars :devil: :devil:
All American

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 02:12:06 PM »
well thats the thing eh man. i figure fans would sympathise with the players. i would like to know where most of the fans in togo stand on the issue tho. to see if is a different mentality among "togans?" and trinidadians. cause i really dont imagine seeing that happening in trinidad.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 07:49:55 PM »
live threat
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 09:55:41 AM »
well thats the thing eh man. i figure fans would sympathise with the players. i would like to know where most of the fans in togo stand on the issue tho. to see if is a different mentality among "togans?" and trinidadians. cause i really dont imagine seeing that happening in trinidad.

the threats may not have come from fans, but from people 'working' for the Togolese football federation.

Wasn't it Togo that almost walked out of the WC because of the same issue?

As bad as things are in T&T, when it comes to widespread corruption and absolute criminal behavior, T&T is still eons behind some African, Latin American, Asian and Eastern European nations. It is downright dangerous to be an athlete or any high profile figure in some countries

1]; } ?>