March 28, 2024, 02:17:14 PM

Author Topic: Hislop looking to prove himself.  (Read 4450 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Hislop looking to prove himself.
« on: April 03, 2007, 03:35:30 PM »
Hislop looking to prove himself.
By Steve Hunt / MLSnet.com Staff

FRISCO, Texas -- When FC Dallas open their 2007 campaign Saturday night against Real Salt Lake at Rice-Eccles Stadium, they will do so without one of the key components of last year's regular season Western Conference title. That's because goalkeeper Dario Sala will begin serving a six-game suspension for an post-game altercation after FCD lost to Colorado in the conference semifinal series.
In his place between the posts for the season opener will be Shaka Hislop, a veteran of the English Premier League who last summer delivered a scintillating performance for Trinidad and Tobago in a surprising draw against heavily-favored Sweden in the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
FCD signed him last July and Hislop joined the Hoops about a month later. But his performance since coming to Frisco has been up and down. In his first match, a U.S. Open Cup quarterfinal at Houston last August, Hislop allowed three goals in a less-than-stellar debut.
Then, on Sept. 23 against RSL, he performed much better in a 2-1 FCD win that clinched a playoff spot for his side. But, the following week at Columbus, he again was beaten for three goals by a Crew team that scored the fewest goals in MLS (30 in 32 games).
Again, the following week against the Los Angeles Galaxy, he was solid in a 2-1 victory that clinched home field advantage throughout the playoffs for FCD. But just one week later, in a meaningless regular season finale against L.A., they scored on him five times.
During preseason, Hislop has delivered a clunker or two but has performed well as of late. On March 11, he was in goal as Columbus scored three goals in a 3-0 win in the inaugural Lamar Hunt Pioneer Cup. Then, on March 17, Chicago tagged him for three but FCD won 4-3 in the Saturn Cup in Norman, Okla.
But in his last two starts, a 2-0 win against Rochester on March 24 in Puerto Rico and a 1-0 loss to Clube Aletico Paranaense on Saturday, he has looked markedly better, giving the FCD faithful some cause for optimism as the Hoops head into the start of the regular season.
"I think Shaka has been solid in the last few games," said FCD head coach Steve Morrow. "We have only conceded one goal in the last few games. He's been a lot more solid and I think he's gradually getting back to full fitness. He's worked hard in the last couple of weeks with his sharpness in training and I think that's starting to pay off. I think come the weekend, he'll be ready."
Morrow chalks up Hislop's struggles in the earlier parts of preseason to back problems the veteran 'keeper was having.
"I think he had a good rest in the offseason," he said. "He had a couple of back issues in the offseason and didn't come back in great shape. We knew we had six or seven weeks to get him fully fit, which at the moment, he looks like he's going to be OK."
Even though his time so far with the Hoops has been characterized by inconsistency, Hislop is nonetheless undeterred and ready for his next challenge.
"I'm looking forward to it," Hislop said. "Preseason is great, but you really want to get into the action and want things to matter. I'm looking forward to the start of the season. I think we've had a good preseason and that things are starting to come together at just the right time. We are quietly optimistic."
Saturday's match will be the first of three away from home to start the season. Hislop is viewing that as nothing more than a new challenge for him and his teammates.
"We're going to have to stand up and be counted in all the challenges we have this season," he said. "This is one of those. I think how we do will be a good indication of where we stand and what we need to do heading into a very difficult season."
One of the question marks for FCD heading into this season was how well the back line will perform. That was clearly a liability for the Hoops last year but Hislop likes what he has seen from the back four thus far.
"I think it's coming together great," he said. "We have a lot of young talent and defenders who are showing their worth beyond their years. We have great starters and a number of players who can come in as well. With each game, I think we've gotten better. That's a great sign for them and for us as a team."

FCD goalkeeper Shaka Hislop has been an improved player of late. (Juan Miranda/MLS/WireImage.com)

« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 05:57:44 PM by Flex »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Hislop looking to prove himself
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 05:22:26 PM »
Hislop looking to prove himself
« on: Today at 05:35:30 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hislop looking to prove himself
By Steve Hunt / MLSnet.com Staff

FCD goalkeeper Shaka Hislop has been an improved player of late. (Juan Miranda/MLS/WireImage.com)

FRISCO, Texas -- When FC Dallas open their 2007 campaign Saturday night against Real Salt Lake at Rice-Eccles Stadium, they will do so without one of the key components of last year's regular season Western Conference title. That's because goalkeeper Dario Sala will begin serving a six-game suspension for an post-game altercation after FCD lost to Colorado in the conference semifinal series.
In his place between the posts for the season opener will be Shaka Hislop, a veteran of the English Premier League who last summer delivered a scintillating performance for Trinidad and Tobago in a surprising draw against heavily-favored Sweden in the 2006 FIFA World Cup.

FCD signed him last July and Hislop joined the Hoops about a month later. But his performance since coming to Frisco has been up and down. In his first match, a U.S. Open Cup quarterfinal at Houston last August, Hislop allowed three goals in a less-than-stellar debut.

Then, on Sept. 23 against RSL, he performed much better in a 2-1 FCD win that clinched a playoff spot for his side. But, the following week at Columbus, he again was beaten for three goals by a Crew team that scored the fewest goals in MLS (30 in 32 games).

Again, the following week against the Los Angeles Galaxy, he was solid in a 2-1 victory that clinched home field advantage throughout the playoffs for FCD. But just one week later, in a meaningless regular season finale against L.A., they scored on him five times.

During preseason, Hislop has delivered a clunker or two but has performed well as of late. On March 11, he was in goal as Columbus scored three goals in a 3-0 win in the inaugural Lamar Hunt Pioneer Cup. Then, on March 17, Chicago tagged him for three but FCD won 4-3 in the Saturn Cup in Norman, Okla.

But in his last two starts, a 2-0 win against Rochester on March 24 in Puerto Rico and a 1-0 loss to Clube Aletico Paranaense on Saturday, he has looked markedly better, giving the FCD faithful some cause for optimism as the Hoops head into the start of the regular season.

"I think Shaka has been solid in the last few games," said FCD head coach Steve Morrow. "We have only conceded one goal in the last few games. He's been a lot more solid and I think he's gradually getting back to full fitness. He's worked hard in the last couple of weeks with his sharpness in training and I think that's starting to pay off. I think come the weekend, he'll be ready."

Morrow chalks up Hislop's struggles in the earlier parts of preseason to back problems the veteran 'keeper was having.

"I think he had a good rest in the offseason," he said. "He had a couple of back issues in the offseason and didn't come back in great shape. We knew we had six or seven weeks to get him fully fit, which at the moment, he looks like he's going to be OK."

Even though his time so far with the Hoops has been characterized by inconsistency, Hislop is nonetheless undeterred and ready for his next challenge.

"I'm looking forward to it," Hislop said. "Preseason is great, but you really want to get into the action and want things to matter. I'm looking forward to the start of the season. I think we've had a good preseason and that things are starting to come together at just the right time. We are quietly optimistic."

Saturday's match will be the first of three away from home to start the season. Hislop is viewing that as nothing more than a new challenge for him and his teammates.

"We're going to have to stand up and be counted in all the challenges we have this season," he said. "This is one of those. I think how we do will be a good indication of where we stand and what we need to do heading into a very difficult season."

One of the question marks for FCD heading into this season was how well the back line will perform. That was clearly a liability for the Hoops last year but Hislop likes what he has seen from the back four thus far.

"I think it's coming together great," he said. "We have a lot of young talent and defenders who are showing their worth beyond their years. We have great starters and a number of players who can come in as well. With each game, I think we've gotten better. That's a great sign for them and for us as a team."

What de hell is a clunker? :rotfl: :rotfl:

They only blaming the Shaka for the goals, when the defense is real kaka. What they expect if everything coming through.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Hislop looking to prove himself
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 05:41:58 PM »
What de hell is a clunker? :rotfl: :rotfl:

They only blaming the Shaka for the goals, when the defense is real kaka. What they expect if everything coming through.

Daz why yuh have a goalie in de first place elan.

To make up for the defensive mistakes of the backline.

No...a goalie cyah stop everyting....but yuh expeck dem to stop ball dat passin right by dey foot and ting.

If a man take a shot from outside de area, de ball dribble to de goalie, he dive over de ball and let it through so dat it trickle over de line like Shaka did against Guatemala in 2005....it could demoralise de whole team.

Shaka has done yoeman service for he clubs and T&T football.  Nobody will ever forget de game he had against Sweden.  Dat was for me anyway, he crownin moment.

But he also had some serious lapses.  Is happen to all keepers.  All players...no matter how good yuh is.  So it go.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Hislop looking to prove himself.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 06:16:42 AM »
I cant recall anything like that hapenning to Peter Chech....YET..

Offline Jay10

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 08:02:06 AM »
I cant recall anything like that hapenning to Peter Chech....YET..

lol everybody does have dem, but with d best it happens like 1 in every 20-30 games......unless they having a lapse in form...

Their was 1 last year...... it rolled through his legs....but Chelsea still end up winning d game so not much was said about it

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 06:42:50 AM »
The only thing that I can say is that my boy Shaka has lost some of his quickness as he has gotten older, but that is to be expected and I have even had the privelidge of "discussing" ;D that with him once when I met him home last Christmas.   Other than the ONE (allowable) bad game he had against Guatemala, he really has been quite exceptional in his services for T&T (and would be a GREAT, GREAT, GREAT ambassador for our sport and country at ANY level: coaching, administrative, mentoring, etc). I saw the five goals that he conceded against LA Galaxy and he had absolutely no chance to save any of those goals and a remote chance on, maybe one of them.  I have also seen    watched followed studied Shaka's career and seen him at his "worst" in his early years at Newcastle, where he has made costly, costly errors, and gotten reports from reliable sources of some of his stellar performances that most of us have not been privy to have witnessed.  Shaka, while a little slower nowadays, is way past those Newcastle days, where he did enjoy a wonderful spell and it is no coincidence that he has (at least) once each been voted by the respective fans of Reading and West Ham as their "Player of The Season" during his career.  That is no small feat for a goalkeeper and speaks volumes of Shaka's worth.  Those of you that know him, know the kind of person/player he really is.  We can all learn from him and he is a great asset to our country, culture and sport.  God bless him!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

1]; } ?>