April 25, 2024, 02:58:08 PM

Author Topic: U-17S 'MVP' eager to prove worth on the pitch.  (Read 4927 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
U-17S 'MVP' eager to prove worth on the pitch.
« on: April 18, 2007, 01:23:48 PM »
U-17s 'MVP' eager to prove worth on the pitch.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago Under 17 head coach Anton Corneal spent the last few days in Jamaica inspecting the facilities there as this country gets ready to contest the final round of CONCACAF qualification for a spot in the FIFA Under 17 World Championship in Korea in August.
Corneal, who has been preparing the local squad, is expected to return today as the team prepares to go in a live-in camp in their run up to arrival in Kingston on April 25.
The team, which has played Honduras and Mexico in warm up matches over the past two months, will open its final round campaign against Costa Rica on April 28, USA (April 20), Canada (May 4) and Jamaica on May 6. The top three teams from the group will join Haiti and Honduras from Group B as the region’s five representatives at the World Championship.
“We have paced our preparations and it’s a matter now of going into the final stretch and getting set for the matches. It’s four matches and we know that all the teams will be well prepared and ready to snap up one of the three spots. We obviously will not take any of them for granted but we will also have it on our minds that we can get the right results against these teams to take us through,” Corneal told TTFF Media.
Instrumental playmaker Leston Paul knows well that he will need to be at the top of his game in the four-match series. Paul, named the TTFF’s Young “Player of the Year” 2006 is hoping that he and his teammates can rise to the challenge.
“So far I think our preparations have gone well. We had the chance to playa against a couple international teams and we have trained very hard at home. Now it’s up to us to go out there and play to win,” Paul told TTFF Media after collecting the award on Sunday at the TTFF’s closing ceremony at Crowne Plaza, Port of Spain.
He feels that the accolade could lead him to bigger things.
“It’s good to get an award like this at this time. I know it says something but I will have to go and prove it. This tournament is really the important one for us because we want to qualify badly and move on from here. I have my career ahead of me and the other boys have a lot of football to look forward to. We know that if we do well in this competition it could be a big step for us,” added the Mayaro-born midfielder.
“I have been working hard on my fitness because the time off with the injury had me out for about three months. But now I’m feeling normal again and the entire squad is just trying to be patient and wait for our chance to take on the other teams,” he added.
Meantime, one of T&T’s opponents, Canada, is coming off a training camp in Mexico where they lost 2-1 to Mexico, 2-0 to Club America and 2-1 to Cruz Azul. They will go into a camp in Sunrise, Florida before heading over to Jamaica.
“We have played well in every game, however playing well should also include capitalizing on our chances,” said Canada’s Trinidadian-born coach Stephen Hart. “The Cruz Azul game was typical of our play as of late. We should have won the game by five goals, instead we lost. On the positive side we are creating chances.”
The Jamaica group is expected to have some intense action. In Group A action earlier this month, more than 45,000 passionate and committed fans were on hand to witness the first of two CONCACAF Qualification groups for the FIFA U-17 World Cup in the Honduran capital of Tegucigalpa.
This excellent turnout is a testament to the unprecedented levels of excitement, importance and popularity of Under-17 football in the CONCACAF region. Attendances grew with each of the three match dates and an amazing 27,080 animated fans packed the Estadio Tiburcio Carias Andino for the third and final day of group play where all four teams still had everything to play for. Hopefully similar or the same can take place in Kingston and be echoed over in Port of Spain.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 05:41:41 PM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: U17S 'MVP' eager to prove worth on the pitch
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 03:28:30 PM »
come on tnt....all the best to the boys and the staff....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
  • Is ah long time since ah went Gulf City!
    • View Profile
Re: U-17S 'MVP' eager to prove worth on the pitch.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 09:03:06 PM »
Boys I'm expecting you guys to win every game in this final round of qualification.. :beermug:
only born in Santa Cruz BUT RAISED IN SAN FERNANDO..so dont get tied up!...I FROM SOUTH!

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 06:27:36 AM »
Boys I'm expecting you guys to win every game in this final round of qualification.. :beermug:

...specially the last one  :whistling:  ( ;D)
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 06:41:47 AM »

I see you are a converted Trini. You know youi have many brothers and sisters on the island of Jamaica right? ;D

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 06:44:55 AM »
Yuh know it funny. I think RF have some sort of alert system tied into this site. Yuh never see him fuh months but as soon as something anti JA get placed on de board BAM he appear. DAMN RF how yuh does do dat.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 08:08:26 AM »
because de cacahole(RF) does read every line in every thread.....what else de man go do eh???
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 08:17:29 AM »

I see you are a converted Trini. You know youi have many brothers and sisters on the island of Jamaica right? ;D
Could be, Reggaefan!  ??? ??? I can't seem to recall ever reading a thread from Toussaint over at the RSBC site. ;D
jjbrown

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
JFF to lose millions hosting CONCACAF under-17 tournament
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 05:37:23 PM »
JFF to lose millions hosting CONCACAF under-17 tournament
radiojamaica.com

Thu Apr 19, 2007 

The Jamaica Football Federation stand to lose about $15 million in hosting Group B of the CONCACAF under-17 tournament which kicks off next Saturday April 28.

Accommodation for the five visiting teams and CONCACAF officials takes up the bulk of the JFF’s budget of $18 million as this will cost some $10 million.

The Sports Development Foundation Thursday afternoon made a contribution of $1 million and Jamaica Money Market $150,000.

Victoria Mutual Building Society had earlier announced a $250,000 support while Digicel will be purchasing 36 tickets to be shared between six schools, a value of $72,000.

The tournament which features host Jamaica playing against Canada, Costa Rica, Trinidad and Tobago and the USA for the three remaining CONCACAF qualifying spots to the FIFA under-17 World Cup in South Korea in August.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 06:16:27 PM »
now reach back from our game vs the U-17's today

i really not sure who is who...jus one or 2 names

our side-Harvard beat them 2-0
was a decent game...

we scored from a thru ball that maybe the keeper coulda come for a lil faster...but eh know how it is when ya out there....and the forward Mervyn Moore lifted the ball over him

2nd goal  scored directly from a corner kick...went in last post...doh ask me how nah..i look away for one sec. next second i see it floatin in last post!... De Freitas scored..

Harvard started off a lil slower...but when we settled we had a lil more possession than them...they created few chances...but they were well taken care of by the defence

2nd half was even...witht he last 15mins the U-17's had a little more control of the game and pressured our side for a goal but it ended up 2-0.

good luck to them fellas...hope they make us proud..

but mind me askin who they playin next week? hear is the 25th they goin JAmaica.....is it jus Jamaica or they playin other sides...
not up to date with them

and is it after that qualifying tournament there, is that the last one? or is there another qualification after that...

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 06:36:28 PM »
Thanx for the update AZZURRI ...

Full Schedule Here
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 06:39:07 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 07:25:20 PM »
Flex----scorers are Mervyn Moore and De Freitas--(he play for St. Anthony's a couple yrs ago....only really know him as Scooby)

ya never study how ya could play a whole season with a side and only know fellas first name or their nickname whole time?!

1]; } ?>