March 29, 2024, 01:37:17 AM

Author Topic: Positive vibes, good news thread!  (Read 65440 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Positive vibes, good news thread!
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2015, 02:54:03 PM »
Trinis ready to climb Europe's highest
Scaling mountains for charity project...

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150712/news/trinis-ready-to-climb-europes-highest

Trinidadians Safiyyah Ali and Henry Mungalsingh have embarked on their charity-driven mission to climb Europe's highest mountain—Mont Blanc in Western Europe.

The duo left last Friday for the Swiss Alps and were expected to begin the climb on Saturday. They will be tackling two mountains, a warm-up mountain—Gran Paradiso, Italy's highest mountain, and then Mont Blanc which stands at a little under 18,000 feet.

Ali, 30, and Mungalsingh, 29, have committed themselves to climbing the five tallest mountains in the world over the next five years, the final being Mount Everest in the Himalayas in a bid to raise funds to build a home in Trinidad to house pregnant teens and babies of rape.

They have established the non-governmental organisation (NGO) called Home for Angels and Little Ones (HALO) and the mission is not just to climb mountains, but to plant the Trinidad and Tobago flag at the top of the highest peaks in the world.

Ali, a civil engineer at the Point Lisas Industrial Estate, told the Express that her nerves were getting to her but she was confident she and Mungalsingh will reach the summit.

“I am now beginning to feel extremely nervous. I remember the penetrating cold of Kilimanjaro and I am somewhat scared of what lies ahead. But I am trying to stay positive and know I will come out a stronger person. I am also curious to see how I will react when under that kind of stress, now that I have been doing exercise to strengthen my mental capability,” she said.

“I am not particularly afraid of death. I did not prepare a will, I don't think death is a reality to me at this point, nor have I ever felt near to death,” she added.

She said her personal mantra is to keep strong. “I always say 'when the going gets tough, the tough get going' and that's me, I'm a badass!”

“...We will summit, though. I will suffer and I know I will cry, I'm a bit of a crybaby, I won't ever quit, but I will cry,” said Ali.

Both Ali and Mungalsingh will be on the mountain this week without any warm, clean, running water for showering or even a toilet.

They will have to utilise mother nature as their bathroom.

“There are no bathrooms. We poo on the mountain and cover up with snow. While on the mountain no showers as well. We have one night of rest between Gran Paradiso and Mont Blanc back in Chamonix. I'll be sure to carry too my Lifebuoy soap!” said Mungalsingh.

Mungalsingh, an actuary based in London, said he remains focused on the mission.

“Occasionally fear gets in. Fear that something goes wrong. I slip and fall and Safiyyah falls with me as we are roped in together... or vice verca. I keep thinking we both have to remain co-ordinated—moving at the same pace, fast or slow. The last 60 metres of Gran Paradiso is more exposure than I would like. On Mont Blanc there is the Grand Couloir, which takes lives every year due to avalanche and rock fall. My state of mind is that—in spite of, I will and must always keep climbing,” he said.

He said he does fear death, but since the death of his father, former United National Congress (UNC) senator Harry Mungalsingh, he learned that fear can be very crippling, but nothing is more crippling than failure to act.

Mungalsingh said on every climb he attempted, he pretended there were two imaginary ropes attached to his harness.

“Jesus was pulling one and my father the other. In fact, it was never me climbing. When things got really bad I would shoot out two more imaginary ropes and my mother and sister would pull as well. For Mont Blanc I have in my arsenal five ropes, one included for my girlfriend,” he said.

He said there were no second thoughts about the climb and the mission.

“I believe this is what God has asked me to do with my life. So I will keep trying and I will keep climbing until that which is supposed to be accomplished will be accomplished... or I will fail trying. As a minimum, I'm confident God will never think 'I gave my son hands, feet, a brain and a heart'...He didn't go out to seek and live the impossible,” he said.

“I want more than anything for God to reveal himself in this project. I want people to look and see and feel hope again. If we do this correctly, Safiyyah and I should become more and more anonymous and God's hand more and more visible. This entire project is about God's love for his own Trinidad. And I say that fiercely,” added Mungalsingh.

Anyone wishing to donate to the building fund can visit HALO's website www.climbfortriniangels.com or their Facebook page: Project Halo.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2015, 01:37:11 PM »

^^ So allyuh eh notice how dem holding the flag?  :D

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2015, 02:50:36 PM »

^^ So allyuh eh notice how dem holding the flag?  :D

Yeah  :D

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2015, 03:47:45 PM »

Meet Anusha, who topped the SEA and speaks three languages

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150731/features/meet-anusha-who-topped-the-sea-and-speaks-three-languages

Study hard, work hard and chase your dreams.

This is the message from Anusha Saha, who scored the highest at this years Secondary Entrance Examination (SEA).

Anusha, 11, attended the Grant Memorial Presbyterian Primary School. Her dream is to become a neurosurgeon. A shorter term goal is winning the President's Medal.

Anusha is not only a dedicated and disciplined pupil but also a well-rounded child enjoying extra-circular activities, whether it is competing for her school, and as an individual.

Scoring higher than over 18,000 pupils who wrote this year's SEA examinations, Anusha passed for her first choice and in September will attend Naparima Girls High School.

Inspired by a trip she took with schoolmates to attend the President's Medal Award ceremony held last year, Anusha said that she felt overwhelmed and encouraged when she observed others receiving their medal and hoped that one day she too will receive the medal.

She said, ?When I saw other children receiving their medal from the President, I thought to myself that I want to win one of those someday. This pushed me to study harder?.

Anusha is multilingual as she fluently speaks Bengali, Hindi and English. She participates in chess, spelling and art competitions and has won several first place trophies. Anusha has entered the Caribbean Chess International competition which will be held at the Queen's Park Oval on August 9, where she will compete with players from other countries.

Her impressive trophy shelf holds 16 trophies and awards and she hopes to add more to her collection.

Anusha is also an avid tennis player, a vocalist and has learned to play the harmonium at the Mahatma Gandhi Institute. Religion also played an integral role in her life as she regularly attends temple service with her parents.

Anusha spends her leisure time reading adventure and mystery books, watching television or going shopping at the Gulf City Mall with her mother.

Despite knowing that her schoolwork will now be more difficult, Anusha said that she will not give up on her extra-curricular activities. She said, ?I will maintain my extra-curricular activities because I like doing these things. I don't have a favourite one, I like them all?.

Father Jayanta Saha, an engineer and mother c**tala Saha, an attorney turned housewife came to Trinidad and Tobago from India more than 15 years ago. They said they were very proud of their daughter and all her accomplishments.

Anusha'a wish is to visit the U.S. and her father said that he will make this a reality. He said that he always knew that Anusha had great potential but it was when her private tutors told him that his child had the capability to reach in the top five, did he encourage and support Anusha with her studies.

Mother, Saha (K) said that Anusha is always with a book. ?When she is eating she will have a book with her and I have to remind her to take a bite, unless it is KFC which she loves?, said c**tala.

Tutor Anand Basdeo said that he too is proud of Anusha's accomplishments and knew that she would top the island. He said, ?Anusha showed great potential from the very start. She is always willing and dedicated to her work. She would question me when she got something wrong and that is when I knew she will make it?.

He also praised the parents for their dedication to helping her reach her highest potential.

Basdeo, a senior SEA examiner said that he also tutored last year's SEA winner Shivana Chatoor and third place winner Arielle Rambharose. And the 2010 first place winner Ashaish Mohammed. He has also trained a number of pupils who placed in the top 100 and 200 over the last five years.

Anusha and her family praised her teacehrs and tutors, educator Anand Basdeo, and Mr and Mrs Daniel for helping her to reach this milestone.

Anusha's parents said that Guardian Media Group presented her with a SEA package, TSTT has offered a telephone package to the top pupils of the SEA and Movietowne has arranged VIP passes to the top pupils.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:50:20 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2015, 12:35:59 AM »
This is rhel positive vibes !  :beermug:

T&T groom weds ailing bride at hospital

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/T-T-groom-weds-ailing-bride-at-hospital

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (Trinidad Express) — A bride and groom yesterday took the 'in sickness and health' part of their wedding vows more seriously than most when they got married on a ward at the Mt Hope Women’s Hospital in Trinidad.

Groom Jason Lezama and his bride, Janine Lezama, had all intentions of getting married at the St Joseph RC Church, with the reception to be held at the St Augustine Community Centre, but yesterday morning, the bride fell ill.

Relatives took her to the Mt Hope Women’s Hospital where after being examined, she was told she could not leave the hospital as doctors needed to monitor her undisclosed condition.

The Sunday Express was told the couple had been together for 12 years, were engaged for one year and wedding plans also began one year ago.

All seemed lost yesterday but then groom Jason stepped in.

“There is going to be a wedding today,” he told relatives, and spoke to the nurses running the ward.

Supervisor/head nurse Kathy Cadogan; Kathleen Melville, head nurse of the ward; evening supervisor Rhonda Black; and Vijay Bhaggan, the administrator of the Women’s Hospital, were told of the plans and, together, they made it happen.

Fuad gives thumbs-up

Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan was also told of the plan and was said to have given it a thumbs-up for the ceremony on the ward.

When the Sunday Express arrived on the ward yesterday, the room had been converted into a chapel of sorts, with a bride in her dress, the groom in his suit, complete with a maid of honour and six bridesmaids, along with a best man and six groomsmen.

There were chairs for guests and a wedding cake.

The priest had already left by the time the Sunday Express arrived, but as the bride sat on her bed with her new and doting husband next to her, the couple seemed oblivious to everything around them.

Cadogan said of the ceremony, “We were really happy to be a part of this.”

They said that nothing like this had ever happened at the Women’s Hospital.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2015, 02:56:00 PM »

Alicia Riley: From Poverty and Adversity to Success

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150731/features/alicia-riley-from-poverty-and-adversity-to-success

I always say life is an obstacle course; it’s not what you meet but how you defeat what you meet…for life is all about perspective…

It’s a philosophy which I have always held close to my heart. If you were to walk in my rubber slippers when you were a child and proceeded through the chapters of hardship, adversity, poverty and low self-esteem as I did, then your survival mechanism would be the same philosophy. Survival… I would not have made it to adult life without adjusting my lens and my perspective on life and seeing obstacles as opportunities. It’s a healthy attitude. I could still hear the wise words of my best friend’s father echoing in my head: “Half the time where a man is or where he isn’t is because of his attitude…” Back then and up to today I strongly believe that humans consumed themselves with excuses- the government, time, taxes, the weather, family, friends all sorts of excuses… It’s a form of slavery. Instead of claiming responsibility for our own life situations we pass the blame on everything else. This parasitic mindset creates the very chains and bondage we accuse others of doing. You see it’s not what happens that determines the quality or quantity of your life, because what happens happens to everybody, the sun goes down on us all, the rain and the taxes affect us all… But, it’s how you respond to these triggers that changes everything… What happens is the constant, what you do is what makes it different.

My life story is different. Not your regular entrepreneurial success story. As I look at my brainchild business, Orange Advertising which started off as a small office space in Stumpy’s Strip Mall, Tobago courtesy my very first Dell laptop, a gift from a great friend and my fascination with Adobe Photoshop, I sigh. I sigh in gratitude to God because of His blessings (Orange Advertising is successful and a Caribbean brand) and His investment in my talent (talent I never knew I possessed). I sigh because the young girl who moved house constantly from Chaguaramas to Belmont to San Juan has finally found a comfortable space.

Sigh. Memories of my childhood are like a golden mist. When I try to classify my earliest impressions, I find that I have tried so hard over the years to reinvent myself by consciously suppressing these “memories” remembering proves more challenging than the first time I tied my shoes. A few impressions stand out vividly from the first few years of my life- shadows of disappointments… The fourth of five siblings, the daughter of a single mom- the hard-working , Rosealba Riley also known as “Rosie” who was a house and office cleaner, security guard and CEPEP worker, I grew up with very little. My father’s family bore roots in Tobago whereas my mother’s family was Grenadian, but their origins didn’t matter. It mattered however, when my dad deserted us before puberty with no real excuse. I never knew much people on his side of the family only my Aunty Monica, who to this day still show (sic) us the utmost respect and kindness.

After my dad left, the entire dynamics of my life changed. Besides shifting around to the abodes of friends and family, walking to Melville Memorial Girls’ Anglican School almost every day, having to wake up extra early to ensure we got breakfast from the Church, wearing the same uniforms and shoes term after term, toting water up the hill to take a shower, the environment was also emotionally unstable. My siblings and I fought constantly physically and verbally as we all battled with a mixture of anxiety, anger and a confused mental state as we tried to figure out who we were. I didn’t do my best at school because the only thing that consumed my mind was “where daddy gone?” He wasn’t even around to protect “Rosie’s girl children” from the sick and twisted sexual predators but that’s another memory tucked too deep to re-awaken.

If you get lemons make lemonade…

Fast-forward to an educational journey in which I got my fair share of lemons. After I graduated from primary school I passed for Belmont Junior Secondary School, an experience in which I was bullied and teased because I was the daughter of Rosie the school cleaner.

But I had to be strong. My mother was a strong woman even when her meagre salary couldn’t pay the rent. My sister called her “mother giver”; she wasn’t perfect but she worked really hard to ensure we had a good education. A good education was as good as gold even when you all slept in one room and couldn’t touch anything your aunt owned from food and toiletries to wares.

Enter Success Laventille Secondary School into the story, as we relocated. It was within those walls that I discovered the real racism- being discriminated against by your own kind. I remember being mocked repeatedly by girls a little lighter in complexion. Success opened doors to my own success nevertheless as it was at this juncture that I truly adopted the philosophy to see brighter sides of adversity and see opportunity rather than obstacles.

And so the blessings came slowly but surely…Upon graduating from school I got my five subjects- my mom was overjoyed. Our prayers were being answered. My slumped shoulders and bowed head began rising bit by bit as my self-worth increased.

Ironically I was eager to further my studies but lack of funds crushed my hopes. I didn’t want to grow up broke and unhappy though. I couldn’t… That was when I began inventing my own coping philosophies.

You can have more that you’ve got because you can become more than you are, but unless you change how you are you would always have what you’ve got…

At age 17 my life strategy changed and I started my own school, Genesis Tuition Academy. Marketing for the school was simple yet effective- a flyer design in Microsoft Word and distribution to the various primary schools. I remember getting blackboards donated for my debut business venture and encounter with graphic design…

I got the first tantalizing taste of business and I loved it!

Some years later I would move on to greener pastures investing my profits from the school into new clothes for an interview where I scored a job at the Hilton Hotel Tobago. It gave me the hope I needed and through my newfound confidence and laptop, my passion for advertising and graphic design were ignited. I got a scrapbook and clipped out every single advert, which I found “nice” by my standards. I started building ads in Microsoft Word, until one day I created a sign and I took it to a print shop and the guy couldn’t believe this level of design was achieved in Microsoft Word, his facial expression was priceless… It spurred on my continuous climb in a budding career in advertising despite the tragedy of my mother’s death from cancer. As I drowned in my grief, devoured by a cacophony of sadness and anger, my faith lead me to Orange Advertising as my healing path.

In life bravery is the capacity to believe…to perform at your maximum capacity although you are scared half to death…

Starting my own business after Hilton closed and using my severance money to purchase my first printer for $60,000 (which I still own) were the best decisions I have ever made in my life. From a flourescent orange room to a popular orange tent to the popular regional brand of Orange Advertising, my growth as an entrepreneur was rapid. This growth was centred on my daily routine- I got up, I prayed, I recited my goals…, this routine revolutionised my life economically, socially, spiritually.

Through God and prayer I obtained an upsurge in clients from my design studio. I soon earned a spot amidst the advertising greats of Ross Advertising and McCann-Erickson.

Vision gets your dreams started. Dreaming employs your God-given imagination to reinforce the vision.

Through it all I would daydream about where I want to be and then plot a strategy to get there. My dream to purchase a 54-inch Roland printer, my first wide-format printer became a reality and then it never worked one day. I had experienced my first con artist. Business is its own teacher and I was a good student. Jehovah had better plans for me. I would go on to acquire not only one printer but two wide-format printers, the largest in Tobago and the third largest within Trinidad, a high production digital press and six wonderful employees.

Between my life transitions, the main mentorship and guidance I got came from God and the inspiration from my best friend Casey I have lived to enjoy the light at the end of the tunnel.

From the abyss of obscurity and uncertainty to all-round stability and a happy ending, the daughter of Rosie, the cleaner didn’t do too badly. Imagine today I can empower others to always remember life is more than a party, a hot dress, a boyfriend (which I don’t have) or reality TV, it’s about hard work, instilling discipline, focus and an optimistic attitude towards attaining success but most about it is about a firm faith in God.

My concluding philosophy- To shape the rest of your life, create your own reality in your mind, daydream, strategise and put into action, never ever give up!

BIO

Alicia Riley is a 30-year-old self-taught graphic designer with advanced diplomas in Marketing and Business Management courtesy the School of Business and Computer Studies (SBCS).

The brainchild behind popular regional advertising company, Orange Advertising, Riley is a national of Trinidad and Tobago and has lived in Tobago since 2007. Since the company’s inception in 2009, the mentor and community motivator has been the dynamic managing director and is responsible for revolutionising the design and print industry on the island of Tobago.

Her cultural background and focus on community collaboration has led her to a number of volunteer opportunities and community sponsor roles while business prowess renders her one of the most outstanding entrepreneurs on the local landscape.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Positive news from the home front.
« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2015, 09:12:24 PM »
North Eastern College pupil achieves whopping 21 CSEC passes

Source: http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150814/news/super-girl

SANGRE GRANDE

ARTI RAMROOP of North Eastern College yesterday received passes in all 21 subjects she wrote in this year's Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) examinations.
Sixteen-year-old Ramroop got 18 Grade Ones, including 14 distinctions and three Grade Twos.
Ramroop's accomplishment may have set a record for the highest number of subjects ever written at one sitting of the examination.
The Caribbean Examinations Council (CXC) offers 34 subjects at the CSEC level.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2015, 09:47:23 PM »

LITTLE SUPERMAN

See Video Report; https://www.facebook.com/CCNTV6/videos/930762020299324/

A four-year old boy is being hailed a hero after the car he was traveling in drove off a cliff while heading to Maracas. He climbed out of the precipice and was able to flag down a car to get help. His name, Kal-El... a name well known to comic book fans.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 09:49:07 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2015, 10:33:36 PM »

LITTLE SUPERMAN

See Video Report; https://www.facebook.com/CCNTV6/videos/930762020299324/

A four-year old boy is being hailed a hero after the car he was traveling in drove off a cliff while heading to Maracas. He climbed out of the precipice and was able to flag down a car to get help. His name, Kal-El... a name well known to comic book fans.

'Little Superman' honoured in 'Grande'

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150827/news/little-superman-honoured-in-grande

Christmas came early for four-year-old “Little Superman” Kal-El Alleyne yesterday, as the Sangre Grande Regional Corporation showered him with toy trucks, board games and a tablet computer for his heroic actions last week Tuesday.

Kal-El's mother, Amanda, had lost control of a her vehicle while driving along the North Coast Road, Maracas, and skidded off the roadway. The car plunged about 100 feet down a precipice before coming to a stop.

The young boy's mother and aunt, Antonia, were injured and trapped inside the vehicle. Although injured himself, he climbed up the precipice and flagged down a car for help.

He has since been called “little Superman”, as he also bears the birth name of comic superhero Superman.

Joined by his cousins, aunt and grandmother yesterday, the young hero was taken through the streets of Sangre Grande by regional corporation chairman Terry Rondon, where he was greeted and congratulated by passers-by.

“They're calling my name. My name is Kal-El,” he said, as a loud speaker announced his presence in the area.

“Just smile and wave, smile and wave,” he repeatedly told himself, much to the amusement of those around.

Kal-El was later invited back to the corporation's office at County Hall, Ramdass Street, where he was honoured with a plaque, toys, and even a cake.

'A hero, icon and scholar'

Also honoured was North Eastern College graduate Arti Ramroop, 16, who received passes in all 21 subjects she wrote in this year's Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) examinations, 14 with distinctions.

Toco-born novelist and playwright Earl Lovelace was honoured in absentia.

“We are very happy because today we are honouring a hero, an icon and a scholar. Could any corporation want better than that?” asked Rondon.

“When I read that story about Kal-El the morning, I remembered a similar situation I faced with my mother in the garden in Matelot.

“She fell, and anybody who knows my mother knows that she was close to 350 pounds. I was eight years old at the time and I couldn't lift her.

“I had to run a mile and half at the time to get my uncle to lift her,” he added.

Rondon said young Kal-El's actions show he was full of love. “My advice to parents is to hold on to your children and make sure they have a strong spiritual life and they get a proper education,” he said.

He also saluted Kal-El's grandmother, noting she was respectable and humble when the corporation called to ask for her grandson's attendance yesterday.

“They were on time this morning. There was no disrespect by the family, so you could see where that young man took that training from. He was moulded to be brave.”

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2015, 01:08:55 PM »
:applause:

Soca artiste Shurwayne Winchester gives  $100,000 to the Bishop's High School, in aid of their cafeteria. @tv6tnt

https://twitter.com/EWilliamstv6/status/647438179012882432

« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 01:20:08 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2015, 08:16:17 AM »
Some of us can only dream to see 100 years, but only a very fortunate few reach such a milestone. On Friday, we met Elfrida Elliot - more loving called 'Tanty Alfrida' - who has joined that elite group. C News Cherrylene Lewis and Shaka Telesford visited the Moruga Centenarian's birthday celebration at the St. John's Londons Baptist Church in Port of Spain

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2wR5PIImNTo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2wR5PIImNTo</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2015, 02:17:40 PM »
Salute to this young woman 'Fay Richardson'.
Some of us can only dream to see 100 years, but only a very fortunate few reach such a milestone. On Friday, we met Elfrida Elliot - more loving called 'Tanty Alfrida' - who has joined that elite group. C News Cherrylene Lewis and Shaka Telesford visited the Moruga Centenarian's birthday celebration at the St. John's Londons Baptist Church in Port of Spain

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2wR5PIImNTo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2wR5PIImNTo</a>

LOVE IT! we need more young people like this in our country. Salute this young woman 'Fay Richardson'  for her wise words.

https://www.facebook.com/CNC3Television/videos/10153688836787996/

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2015, 04:47:34 PM »
TOP OF THE CARIBBEAN

https://www.facebook.com/CNC3Television/posts/10153703489332996

Vasha Maharaj, in the first picture below, an Open Scholarship winner for Naparima Girls High School has topped the Caribbean Region in the field of Foreign Languages for CAPE 2015.

Nadia Phoebe Ali in the second picture (wearing the black and white top) a Naparima Girls High School National Scholarship Winner, has topped the Caribbean Region in Modern Studies/Humanities for CAPE 2015.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2015, 03:00:42 PM »
Blue Waters has come up with a way to showcase the creativity of the youth in Trinidad and Tobago, while at the same time beautifying their calendars. The company held a competition where they invited students from across the country to draw images and make models in the most creative way possible.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EFFnOe4S9a0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EFFnOe4S9a0</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 11, 2015, 06:53:28 AM »

One Tobago student has made it in the Top 10 in the Caribbean, in the field of Art and Design at the CAPE Unit 2 level.

This young scholar not only excelled in Art and Design but in all other subject areas she did at both CXC and CAPE levels.

See Video https://www.facebook.com/cnewslive/videos/vb.377693645609/10153684575215610/?type=2&theater

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 05, 2015, 06:53:29 PM »
Well done little man :applause:

LITTLE hero: Waterloo grandmother Ursula Henry looks at her house which was destroyed by fire, and at little Jeremiah Baird who rescued two of her grandchildren from the blaze on Friday. Little Jeremiah, six years old, took her three-year-old twin grandchildren out of the house. —Photo: DAVE PERSAD

Boy, 6, saves infant twins from fire *

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20151130/news/boy-6-saves-infant-twins-from-fire

Carapichaima

WHEN fire broke out at the Carapichaima home of stroke-victim Ursula Henry on Friday, she could do nothing but call for help to get her twin grandchildren to safety.

As she limped out of the burning house bawling, help came from her six-year-old neighbour, Jeremiah Baird, who went into the house and brought the three-year-old twins out to the roadway.

Henry was yesterday thankful that no one was hurt.

And to the child who helped save the twins, Henry said:

"I just want to tell him that I love him."

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 05, 2015, 09:09:54 PM »
God Bless, lil man!!!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2016, 09:20:13 PM »
:applause: :applause:

Naps launches ‘Smarter on de Road’ campaign*

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20160127/news/naps-launches-8216smarter-on-de-road8217-campaign

PUPILS simulating injured people at a crash scene were part of the road safety awareness campaign launched at Naparima College yesterday.
The pupils lay next to two wrecked vehicles in the car park of the school as a simulation of the pain and anguish at crashes sites.

The campaign entitled “Smarter on de Road” is a project of the Interact Clubs of the college to target all road-users, in particular young drivers.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 18, 2016, 12:54:21 PM »

STUDENTS MARCH FOR PEACE

Hundreds of Secondary School students marched through the streets of the Capital City on Wednesday to offer support for people affected by various forms of violence. The students were 'standing up' against crime in the country; most notably the shooting death of success Laventille students Mark Richards and Denielson Smith.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZLVySUUQG1I&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZLVySUUQG1I&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2016, 05:25:06 PM »

WATCH: https://www.facebook.com/cnewslive/videos/10153922857350610/

Last week, Jahhiem Daniel and Naiym Antoine were honoured at their Tranquility Government Secondary School for helping an elderly visually-impaired man cross the busy Tragarete Road. A picture of that good deed went viral on social media and even earned the boys flying lessons with New York based Trinidadian pilot and the owner of Eagle Wings Aviation Mission, Mr. David Leader, and commercial pilot, Mr. Jensen Kangalee.

Today, another good deed was caught on camera. Four girls from Bishop's Centenary School in Port of Spain were recorded escorting an elderly lady across Tragarete Road, near Mario's Pizza. The girls also stopped a taxi and got the appreciative lady inside of the car.

On Friday, President of the Afterschool Mentorship Programme, Wayne Alonzo, hoped the action of the two Tranquility boys would have started a positive trend among school children.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2016, 07:16:54 AM »

ENTREPRENEURIAL PROFILE – BRIAN BENOIT

http://ybtt.org/entrepreneurial-profile-brian-benoit/

Youth Business Trinidad and Tobago (YBTT) continues to create and nurture successful young entrepreneurs who can now tell their story to motivate their young counterparts. One success story to be told is that of 21 year old Brian Benoit who is destined to take the national instrument to unprecedented levels. “I grew up in the pan industry from the age of 7, and from then to now, I have not only fully developed my skills, but I am now able to impart important knowledge about the steel pan to young students” said Benoit, who has turned his dream and passion into a full-time sustainable business. In describing his experience with YBTT, he stated “the entrepreneurial training received assisted me in developing the financial aspects of the business as well as proper management of my finances. The life skills’ component of the training has also helped me in becoming a better person.” He has also successfully completed the five (5) grades of the Royal School of Music (London).

Benoit began to soar up the entrepreneurial ladder with the implementation of two (2) business models. One is the facilitation of training programmes related to the steel pan industry in both primary and secondary schools, whilst the second focuses on four (4)  products  which he developed and offers for sale throughout primary and secondary schools, a project which has been receiving excellent reviews from school principals.  The first product is the Steel Pan Instrument Chart which demonstrates the various types of instruments that contribute to a final sweet melody! The second product is the Steel Pan Glossary of Terms which identifies and explains the meaning of all the terms used in the industry;  the third is the Story of the Steel Pan which depicts how the industry started to its current evolution and success, and the fourth is the Ten-Step Process in the manufacture of the pan.

It does not stop there, as Benoit is set to officially launch the “Benoit Academy of the Steel Pan” next Wednesday 1st July, 2015, an institution earmarked to provide a broad range of training in areas such as music theory, arranging music, ear training, steel pan ensemble, sight reading, the making of a steel pan, the art and craft of the steel pan and not forgetting the history of the pan.  The operationalization of the Academy starts with a “Steel Pan Camp” which runs from July 6th to 24th, 2015 – Mondays to Fridays. The camp caters for students ages 7 – 15 years, who will be exposed to training in the areas identified. Benoit’s vision for the academy is to become the global institution for steel pan development within the next five (5) years.

This business venture is indeed an historic one which sets the national tone for youngsters to explore the many entrepreneurial possibilities available within the steel pan industry. Benoit’s advice to young persons who may be thinking of taking the entrepreneurial leap “the sky is not the limit – if you have a dream or passion, pursue it. Don’t be fearful, because fear is a false evidence which appears real. Being an entrepreneur is hard work, but once you’re willing to go the extra mile, success is yours.”
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:06:10 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2016, 02:03:43 PM »

Rio Claro Student Lands US Space Scholarship Well done :applause:

https://www.facebook.com/961wefm/photos/a.434065493680.191101.23378023680/10153620025903681/?type=3&theater

17-year-old Amit Ramoutar was selected from thousands of entrants from over 36 countries across the world to be a part of the Honeywell Leadership Challenge Program (HLCP) in the United States.

The HLCP is a week-long program that takes place at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center (USSRC) facilities in Huntsville, Alabama and provides students 16 – 18 years old with a unique opportunity to build and hone their leadership skills by tackling real-world challenges in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).

Amit, who hails from Mayaro and attends the Rio Claro College, was recently awarded a Certificate of Excellence in Creative Thinking after he created a "fix" for an out of control Lunar Module during a simulation.

(Photo Credit: Rushton Paray)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:07:33 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »

^^ Future Leaders!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2016, 08:10:31 AM »

T&T ranked 2nd best air quality in the world after Seychelles

http://www.cnc3.co.tt/press-release/tt-ranked-2nd-best-air-quality-world-after-seychelles

Trinidad and Tobago has been ranked as the country with the second best air quality in the world.

The ranking is contained in the Environmental Performance Index 2016, released Wednesday.

This country achieved a score of 97.2% in relation to the quality of air, putting T&T just behind the number one ranked country, Seychelles, which achieved a score of 98.24%.

A total of 180 countries are ranked across the globe, with T&T ranked higher than Maldives (97.1%), Iceland (97.04%), Australia (96.13%), Guyana (95.72%) and New Zealand (95.67%).

Bangladesh (21.86%) has been ranked the country with the worst air quality in the world, below China (23.81%) and India (28.07%).

The Air Quality ranking is just one part of the Environmental Performance Index.

While T&T ranks 2nd in that category, it ranks 62nd overall where the environment is concerned, with a score of 74.34%.

That represents a 8.51% improvement over the previous year.

The following are all the rankings that make up T&T's overall score, with "Agriculture" being the lowest:

CATEGORY   RANKING   PERCENTAGE
Health Impacts   23   92.81%
Air Quality   2   97.2%
Water Sanitation   66   86.61%
Water Resources   85   59.48%
Agriculture   164   11.14%
Biodiversity and Habitat   58   88.51%

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2016, 01:24:25 PM »

A young, disabled Tobago man has overcome a number of obstacles in his life and is using his talent to inspire others like him to do the best they can, in spite of adverse situations. This brave man spoke with C News about his rare condition, the challenges he faced as a result and how he's reached this far after being told by doctors that he wouldn't.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Qm6px65OZps&amp;spfreload=10" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Qm6px65OZps&amp;spfreload=10</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2016, 07:11:06 PM »

Young chef aims to be his own boss

http://m.guardian.co.tt/news/2016-04-14/young-chef-aims-be-his-own-boss?utm_content=buffera5086&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Young Keion Dennis, 20, a certified chef, comes out early every morning and sets up two tables at the side of the gas station in Montrose, Chaguanas. He spreads a plastic tablecloth over them, rests two styrotex boxes filled with fried bakes and saltfish and pies he made himself on them and mounts his large colourful umbrella over everything. And he’s ready for the day’s work.

Dennis began occupying the strategic spot recently after it was vacated by a doubles vendor. It has a constant flow of vehicular and pedestrian traffic.

Although he looks humble and unassuming, Dennis has an associate degree from the Hospitality and Tourism Institute and worked in the kitchens of top restaurants like Chaud’s in St Ann’s, the Hilton Trinidad, Woodford Cafe and Ruby Tuesday.

“It was a good world. I enjoyed it but the treatment you sometimes receive from bosses is a bit harsh. I wanted to see if I could create my own business.”

Dennis’ goal is to open his own restaurant and be his own boss and also provide a non-hostile environment for aspiring chefs in which to train. His pies and bake and saltfish stand is the first step.

“The biggest thing is to take that first step. This is my first step. It started off a bit slow but I’m building a clientele.

“Apart from my good looks, when they taste my product, they come back,” he joked.

“I also try to be lenient with my prices. Yes, you can be lenient and still make a profit,” he insisted.

“People pick up on your kindness. You will be rewarded.” His winning smile and courteous manner also draws customers.

Dennis, of Edinburgh 500, said he started off with 15 fried bakes and saltfish and ten beef, chicken and potato pies. “I am making a lot more bakes and pies now” he said. Determined and positive, he said it was “really a fear thing” that stopped people from realising their full potential. “You must go with God. It’s kinda tough to not have Him in your thoughts.”

Dennis learned that wisdom the hard way. He said his parents separated when he was very young and he ended up living with “granny”.

“My father died when I was 11 and I never developed a close relationship with my mother.”

To help granny raise him, Dennis said he began working at age 12 to fund his schooling.

“My first job was at age 12 in an upholstery place. Then I washed maxi taxis to help buy my textbooks.”

While working, Dennis studied hard while attending the Tunapuna Secondary and graduated with six passes, two 1s and four 2s.

“When I left high school I started working at KFC to pay my way through the last two years at the Hospitality and Tourism Institute.

“I graduated with an associate degree in Culinary Management and I’m a certified chef.”

Sending out a word of advice to young people who may be fearful of pursuing their goals, Dennis said: “No matter how hard you must be determined and go forward.

“When you want to do something, the whole world will want to stop you but go with God. When you recognise Him, He will show you the way and tell you what to do and what not to do.”

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2016, 02:57:47 PM »
giving back: Calypsonian Brian London yesterday at Harris Promenade, San Fernando. Every Sunday, London distributes meals to the homeless, including at least 20 mothers. —Photo: DEXTER PHILIP

Calypsonian feeds homeless mothers*

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20160508/news/calypsonian-feeds-homeless-mothers

Published on May 8, 2016,

At least 20 homeless mothers receive meals weekly from calypsonian Brian London.

Yesterday, London, a former Extempo king, again fed the women at Harris Promenade, San Fernando, a task he does after attending church in Fyzabad

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2016, 04:37:26 PM »

T&T national earns perfect score in forensic psychology :applause: :applause:

http://news.co.tt/public_html/article.php?story=2014051605451498

A Trinidad & Tobago national has scored a perfect 4.0 grade point average (GPA) in forensic psychology at John Jay’s College in New York City, an e-mail from her sister, Verena, said Thursday. Verena is a former Synergy TV presenter.

Venetia Siblal, 26, out of a graduating class of 3200, earned the Salutatorian award and the Elaine Noel Award for having an excellent record in forensic psychology. Venetia scored a perfect 4.0 GPA.

Prior to John Jay College of Criminal Justice, Venetia had received an associate of arts degree in liberal arts, social sciences and humanities at LaGuardia Community College.

At LaGuardia Community College, she graduated with honors, made the dean's list, was a member of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, and won first place in the college-wide research paper competition in 2011. The paper focused on the practice of stoning in Islamic countries adhering to Sharia law and highlighted the disproportionate use of the punishment against women.

Her passion for understanding people’s mental processes and behavior, as well as her desire to tackle crime in a sophisticated manner, has steered her to forensic psychology.

Venetia plans to help end violence against women and children by volunteering with organizations that help women live independent lives, free from violence; and that help children who have been abused or neglected.

"In the past I have encountered many obstacles that prevented me from continuing to get my bachelor of arts (BA) degree right after secondary school but as Carl Jung said, 'I am not what has happened to me; I am what I choose to become.' And I choose to become an educated woman who will fight for justice in her country and our global village," Venetia was quoted as saying in the e-mail.

"When I got the call informing me that I got the second highest GPA, making me salutatorian for the class of 2014, I did not know how to respond - partly, because it was the first time hearing the word salutatorian. I thought to myself, why am I not feeling a rush of excitement.

"To understand my 'abnormal' reaction to the wonderful news I had just received, I engaged in some good old fashioned introspection.

"I started to ask myself why didn't I feel this was possible? Why didn't I feel worthy? I did work extremely hard.

"I started to think of subjects like labeling perspective, stigmatization, systematic inequality, sexism, the effects of stereotypes, the intersecting effects of gender, class, and race, and how those notions may have influenced my identity.

"By exploring those topics, I reaffirmed that education was certainly vital in unmasking the roots of the toxic views one may have of one’s self. Likewise, education is vital for unmasking injustice everywhere."

1]; } ?>