April 26, 2024, 06:46:22 PM

Author Topic: Athletes One slams Warriors' omission.  (Read 5311 times)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Athletes One slams Warriors' omission.
« on: April 29, 2007, 01:17:07 AM »
Bluffing T&TFF.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

Bluffing T&TFF.

It might go down as the most lucrative bluff in the history of local sport. On Friday, the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) overlooked 16 of its 2006 World Cup players for the June CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament on the grounds that the rebel "Soca Warriors" were certain to be banned by FIFA over possible court action arising from a pay dispute.
Coach Wim Rijsbergen's subsequent shortlist was notable for the absence of key senior players like Stern John, Kenwyne Jones, Collin Samuel, Aurtis Whitley, Cyd Gray and Brent Sancho.
But English lawyer Michael Townley, whose London-based sports law firm Athletes One Legal represents the unhappy players, remains confident that he has a winning hand and accused T&TFF president Oliver Camps of underestimating the local stars.
"We refer to this in our industry as 'put up or shut up'," Townley told the Sunday Express. "The attitude of the Federation is that the players have a good case but they won't be organised enough or disciplined enough to see it through and they are hiding behind that."
Townley had more potentially unsettling news for Camps. The players are likely to start legal proceedings against the T&TFF in a Trinidad courtroom within the next two weeks.
If the two parties fail to agree by then, Trinidad and Tobago are likely to be the site for a judicial sport battle that seems certain to grab global attention.
FIFA vice-president and T&TFF special adviser Jack Warner will be at the heart of the matter. It is his verbal agreement with the Warriors over sponsorship revenue that preceded the rift.
Both parties agreed to a 50 per cent split before the 2006 World Cup in Germany but, last October, the T&TFF offered just $5,644.08 per player and insisted that expenses were to be deducted and money banked for the 2010 World Cup campaign before settling their deal.
The players rejected the offer and questioned the legitimacy of the T&TFF's accounts.
Townley said he dispatched several letters to the T&TFF but feels he has a better shot at a date with famous screen siren Angelina Jolie than a response from Camps or T&TFF general secretary Richard Groden.
"My letters, I think, have been sensibly written," he said, "and suggested that (failure to respond) would lead to a bigger problem. But the longest response I got was dismissive...just two paragraphs.
"On a scale of one to ten, I think the dialogue between both parties is about one."
Townley, who has more than 20 years' experience in the sport law industry, accused Camps of deliberately misinterpreting the FIFA statues and said that, even if the T&TFF president was correct, such a law would not stand up in the Switzerland-based Court of Arbitration for Sport.
"I have been a lawyer in this area for 20 years now," said Townley, "and have never seen quoted or referenced a FIFA ruling which says a player cannot bring legal action against a federation and face this sanction.
"If there is a rule, FIFA is a Zurich-based organisation and that rule would be illegal in Switzerland to adopt as it will undoubtedly be illegal against the CAS legislation.
"In FIFA statutes, if a player brings a matter before the court where there is a binding arbitration clause, that may be a matter of sanction. But in the very first correspondence we wrote to T&TFF, last October or November, we asked specifically whether there was any such arbitration clause and they never answered yes or no.
"We are left to assume that the only way of finding justice is through a court of law."
Townley speculated that Camps had tried to use FIFA's law against political interference to suit the T&TFF.
"Camps should quote the rule correctly," he said. "I think this is a simple sophistry. It is a deliberate confusion about the rule of political interference.
"How could that possibly be the case here?"
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 06:34:27 AM by Flex »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Athletes One slams Warriors' omission.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 06:54:51 AM »
I hope they send the TTFF registered letters and not just regular letters or e-mail as the TTFF will ignore the letters and state in court they never got it. And watch them courts in T&T as Jack will bribe de judge too, my suggestion is, go to a court in the USA.

Jack be nimble, Jack be quick !!!!!!

Allyuh, cover every aspect !!!! Leave nothing un-turn.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 01:30:09 PM »
Bluffing T&TFF.
[/size]

Bluffing T&TFF.

It might go down as the most lucrative bluff in the history of local sport. On Friday, the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) overlooked 16 of its 2006 World Cup players for the June CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament on the grounds that the rebel "Soca Warriors" were certain to be banned by FIFA over possible court action arising from a pay dispute.
Coach Wim Rijsbergen's subsequent shortlist was notable for the absence of key senior players like Stern John, Kenwyne Jones, Collin Samuel, Aurtis Whitley, Cyd Gray and Brent Sancho.
But English lawyer Michael Townley, whose London-based sports law firm Athletes One Legal represents the unhappy players, remains confident that he has a winning hand and accused T&TFF president Oliver Camps of underestimating the local stars.
"We refer to this in our industry as 'put up or shut up'," Townley told the Sunday Express. "The attitude of the Federation is that the players have a good case but they won't be organised enough or disciplined enough to see it through and they are hiding behind that."
Townley had more potentially unsettling news for Camps. The players are likely to start legal proceedings against the T&TFF in a Trinidad courtroom within the next two weeks.
If the two parties fail to agree by then, Trinidad and Tobago are likely to be the site for a judicial sport battle that seems certain to grab global attention.
FIFA vice-president and T&TFF special adviser Jack Warner will be at the heart of the matter. It is his verbal agreement with the Warriors over sponsorship revenue that preceded the rift.
Both parties agreed to a 50 per cent split before the 2006 World Cup in Germany but, last October, the T&TFF offered just $5,644.08 per player and insisted that expenses were to be deducted and money banked for the 2010 World Cup campaign before settling their deal.
The players rejected the offer and questioned the legitimacy of the T&TFF's accounts.
Townley said he dispatched several letters to the T&TFF but feels he has a better shot at a date with famous screen siren Angelina Jolie than a response from Camps or T&TFF general secretary Richard Groden.
"My letters, I think, have been sensibly written," he said, "and suggested that (failure to respond) would lead to a bigger problem. But the longest response I got was dismissive...just two paragraphs.
"On a scale of one to ten, I think the dialogue between both parties is about one."
Townley, who has more than 20 years' experience in the sport law industry, accused Camps of deliberately misinterpreting the FIFA statues and said that, even if the T&TFF president was correct, such a law would not stand up in the Switzerland-based Court of Arbitration for Sport.
"I have been a lawyer in this area for 20 years now," said Townley, "and have never seen quoted or referenced a FIFA ruling which says a player cannot bring legal action against a federation and face this sanction.
"If there is a rule, FIFA is a Zurich-based organisation and that rule would be illegal in Switzerland to adopt as it will undoubtedly be illegal against the CAS legislation.
"In FIFA statutes, if a player brings a matter before the court where there is a binding arbitration clause, that may be a matter of sanction. But in the very first correspondence we wrote to T&TFF, last October or November, we asked specifically whether there was any such arbitration clause and they never answered yes or no.
"We are left to assume that the only way of finding justice is through a court of law."
Townley speculated that Camps had tried to use FIFA's law against political interference to suit the T&TFF.
"Camps should quote the rule correctly," he said. "I think this is a simple sophistry. It is a deliberate confusion about the rule of political interference.
"How could that possibly be the case here?"

Lovely, lovely lovely Lasana!!! Could always depend on you. You understand the timing of your articles

:whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:

Nuff respec' dcs
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 09:21:15 AM »
It have anybody out there who could tell mih/de forum if it really have such a rule in FIFA or Scamps just talking up in he arse...

Tallman, Palos help me out...
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 10:22:38 AM »
It have anybody out there who could tell mih/de forum if it really have such a rule in FIFA or Scamps just talking up in he arse...

Tallman, Palos help me out...

It seems that Townley is the one quoting the only rule that could be applicable here:

"In FIFA statutes, if a player brings a matter before the court where there is a binding arbitration clause, that may be a matter of sanction.

Camps apparently tried to broaden the application of the rule include this case and scare them off.

I have one issue though which makes the palyers look bad.

The gold cup is coming and none of the players have club committments. in June

But there were several squads called on official match days during the season. How come nobody was upset to be blacklisted then?
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 11:17:04 AM »
Bluffing T&TFF.
[/size]

Bluffing T&TFF.

It is his verbal agreement with the Warriors over sponsorship revenue that preceded the rift.

Man..yuh mean it was not written and signed? Good luck to our Warriors...but that sentence is upsetting

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 11:20:21 AM »
Bluffing T&TFF.
[/size]

Bluffing T&TFF.

It is his verbal agreement with the Warriors over sponsorship revenue that preceded the rift.

Man..yuh mean it was not written and signed? Good luck to our Warriors...but that sentence is upsetting

Filho, ah made dat observation in another post along wid de fact dat (ah could be wrong) is Dwight he had talks with....and Dwight eh part of the thing now.....Yeah dey goh need lots of luck, but still to pay dem players $5,000.....???
Something wrong dey.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 11:23:28 AM »

I would have thought they would have pushed harder for a settlement considering the difficulty they would face in court trying to prove the terms of a verbal agreement with a non-lawsuit player.

Get all players on board for FPATT and let the settlement be that the TTFF contribute a substantial amount of money towards FPATTs operations (maybe enough to cover a few years).
Then again supposedly they not even talking.   :-X

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 11:34:32 AM »
Bluffing T&TFF.
[/size]

Bluffing T&TFF.

Filho, ah made dat observation in another post along wid de fact dat (ah could be wrong) is Dwight he had talks with....and Dwight eh part of the thing now.....Yeah dey goh need lots of luck, but still to pay dem players $5,000.....???
Something wrong dey.....
I am also not a lawyer, but it is my understanding that verbal agreements are just as enforceable as written one in most places.
Live large and prosper!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 11:44:04 AM »
Bluffing T&TFF.
[/size]

Bluffing T&TFF.

Something wrong dey.....
I am also not a lawyer, but it is my understanding that verbal agreements are just as enforceable as written one in most places.

Agreed..verbal commitments are contested in court all the time. Plus the lawyers definitely believe the players have a case. But I just figured that something as serious as a WC contract would be on a piece of paper and signed by the appropriate parties. These fellas know who they dealing with. They supposed to have a signed doc with actual numbers on it. Ah..who am I to know. I really have no experience with these kinds of things. Would be nice to know how other WC teams came to their financial arrangements.

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 12:16:02 PM »
Folks, The Statue of Frauds is a defense that Jack and the TTFF may very well use to get out of the the dispute since it sounds like the agreement was verbal AND negotiated by a non-TTFF borad member. The SOF requires that if a promise is made such an agreement MUST be in writing if a guarantor(Jack) is involved in the contractual promise. The requirement of a written agreement coupled with the acknowledgement that Jack's promise was verbal is not a good sign for the players. I'm hearing a lot of inconsistencies to what happened and what was promised so we won't get the complete story until the trial, if it gets that far.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 09:33:16 PM »
They could cry foul, duck it doh matter until they get a players association that representing all players and no players eh breakin ranks. Until that happens spinning top in mud.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>