March 28, 2024, 04:59:28 PM

Author Topic: T&T one win away from U-17 world cup.  (Read 4435 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
T&T one win away from U-17 world cup.
« on: May 04, 2007, 07:20:26 PM »
T&T one win away from U-17 world cup.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/size] 

Trinidad and Tobago's kept their dreams of qualifying for Korea 2007 with a nail biting 2-1 victory over Canada in their third CONCACAF Final round encounter at the National Stadium, Kingston on Friday evening.
First half goals by midfielder Leston Paul in the 4th minute and striker Stephen Knox in the 38th minute gave T&T the much needed three points but the young "Soca Warriors" were run almost to the ground by the gritty Canadians who pulled a goal back in the 46th minute through Mohamed Sylla. Canada pressed for the equalizer but T&T held firm and almost sealed the game up in the closing 15 minutes creating nervous and exciting moments for the T&T faithful on hand. Goalkeeper Glenroy Samuel blunder had brought Canada back into it when a weak low shot by Mohamed Sylla went straight through him but he fought back with some vital saves in the minutes after that.
T&T coach Anton Corneal said his team knew what they had to do and they did it the hard way. "It was a fight and after we went in front by two goals, we didn't know how to handle it. It was the worst result to be 2-0 up. Canada missed some easy opportunities, but that's the game."
He added: "We came here knowing that we had two games to win and we knew that we had to step up against Canada and now we wait for Jamaica."
Canada's coach, Stephen Hart, says they have nobody to blame but themselves. "The bottom line is if you don't take your chances you won't score. We had several opportunities but that's how it goes. I thought we threw it away and now our destiny is in somebody else's hand and frankly I don't expect too much."
Regardless of the result between USA and Jamaica in Friday's second game, T&T have it all in their hands now as a win on Sunday against Jamaica will book their place in the 2007 FIFA Under 17 World Championship.
Virtual 'war' in Kingston Sunday.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

It will be “war” versus Jamaica on Sunday at their own “office”  the National Stadium in Kingston as both Trinidad and Tobago and the hosts go all out for a place in the 2007 FIFA Under 17 World Championship.
Following’s T&T’s hardfought 2-1 win over Canada in the first game of the double header, Jamaica stunned United States, scoring three goals in the closing ten minutes to earn a 3-2 win and set up a virtual final with the “Soca Warriors” on Sunday. Already USA and Costa Rica have snapped up the top two places in the World Championship.
In a sense the current scenario may be a blessing in disguise as T&T now know that the “Reggae Boyz” will be playing with a purpose which means that T&T must win and will have to work for it. Nothing other than three points on Sunday will do it. This time around there will be nothing like “playing for a draw”and Anton Corneal’s boys will have their own destiny at their feet.
By the time the T&T team bus pulled up at the Knutsford Hotel on Friday night, USA were already up 2-0, but moments after dinner the news of a late come from behind win for the Jamaicans left an instance silence throughout the corridor on level two. “Nah! They will come harder now but we go be ready. We ain’t backing down” followed.
Skipper Ryan O’Neil and his troops would now spend their Friday night knowing very well that they have their work cut out in the next affair.
“The result felt good but we were under a lot of pressure. But Knox and Leston kept us in it. I encouraged the boys throughout the game and the fitness runs on the hills (in Maracas, St Joseph) paid off today. We will be up for that game on Sunday. We know that we have to go all out,” O’Neil told TTFF Media as he got under his covers setting up himself for a much needed rest before Sunday.
Paul, it was mentioned previously hadn’t stamped his authority in neither of the two games versus Costa Rica and USA. But he recalled how his inner feelings hinted that he would find the net against the Canadians.
“I know I would have scored today also,” he added with a gentle tone. “Yeah… serious. Is the dreaming too. I kept thinking about the game right through and I knew it had some and I kept telling my roommate Chike whole day too that it would come today.”
“When the ball came with the first touch it bubbled a bit and then I realized I could have taken a couple more so I kept it and then picked my spot.
“We know we had to pull it off today. We were talking a lot too because if we didn’t we could have just go flat,’ Paul said.
And knowing that Jamaica will be coming firing all cylinders all well, Paul feels T&T just needs to stay focused and play its natural game.
“We know it will be a hard game. But every game should be a hard one and we just have to play it that way. We want to qualify so we will play to qualify,” he continued.
Midfielder Chike Sullivan was proof that the team has fighters among it after coming off a knock which sent him to hospital against the Americans. He started on Friday and battled like a warrior for 93 minutes.
“Going into the game there were two ways about it. We had good support from the coaches and parents that kept driving us. We had a few let ups at the back but we kept playing. I had to go out and give my all. I couldn’t go out there and give no fifty percent and the coaches believed in me and I couldn’t let down anyone in this match,” added Sullivan.
Stephen Knox couldn’t have delivered at a better time as Canada kept drilling into the T&T half and looked likely to strike. The Fatima College player knew that the timing was right.
“We know we had to win these two games and everyone had to step up the call and we did it. We know we still have a game to go so nothing has changed really. We just have a win on our side now and we need one more,” Knox said.
His composed finish was a result of practice.
“That just came from practice in training day after day. Our finishing hadn’t been that good before but with the emphasis on winning the game… we just had to go out there and do the job.”
And manager Christopher Gouveia had predicted a clinical finish from the target-man.
“The manager is always an encouraging person and today I couldn’t let him down. We have to refocus again and we need to go out there on Sunday with the same beat again and get it done,” Knox fired.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 06:21:28 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: T&T one win away from U-17 world cup.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 07:24:14 PM »
No vids ?

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 07:27:59 PM »
leh we say we prayers fellas
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 07:30:29 PM »
Good going fellas!! ploy ploy

Finish de job!!
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline john_public

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 07:31:03 PM »
come on fellars, stamp de name

chike santa cruz backin u all de way bro  ;D

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 07:41:29 PM »
leh we say we prayers fellas
  :praying: :praying: this is it fellas
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Strip

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 07:44:22 PM »
well done warriors!!!

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 07:46:26 PM »
The canadians may be crying fowl play. SH better be careful he ain't loose his job. Well done warriors!

Kingman
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 07:48:11 PM by kingman »

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 07:51:55 PM »
The canadians may be crying fowl play. SH better be careful he ain't loose his job. Well done warriors!

Kingman

If they do, we will welcome him with open arms  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 07:57:10 PM »

Kingman

If they do, we will welcome him with open arms  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Of course!!!!!  :beermug:

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 09:11:13 PM »
go warriors :wavetowel:
football in meh veins football in meh blood

1]; } ?>