March 29, 2024, 03:06:40 AM

Author Topic: T&T make sure for Korea.  (Read 6280 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
T&T make sure for Korea.
« on: May 07, 2007, 06:11:50 AM »
Molino's strike jams Jamaica in Kingston.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/size]

“We Going Korea! We Going Korea!”

That line was the popular one among members of the Trinidad and Tobago National Under 17 team at around 10 pm T&T Time on Sunday as the junior “Soca Warriors” booked to ensure participation in a football World Cup for the second time in less than a year for the twin-island Republic.
And 16-year-old Kevin Molino, hailing from Carenage will have his name go down in the record books alongside Dennis Lawrence as the one with the distinction of scoring the goal which pushed T&T through to the World Finals.
His 13th minute item was enough to hold off a desperate Jamaican outfit by a 1-0 margin and join fellow Concacaf nations Haiti, Honduras, Costa Rica and United States at the FIFA Under 17 World Championship which kicks off in Korea on August 18 and runs until September 9.
Going into Sunday’s encounter, a draw would have pushed T&T through to the World Championship based on their head to head results, having won 2-1 over Canada which was on four points. But head coach Anton Corneal wanted a win and his players were made to think that only a win would see them through. They were instructed to stay discipline against the more powerfully built and forceful Jamaicans. They were told that once they played a clever tactical game with composure and determination that chances would come and clinical finishing would determine their fate. The rest is history.
From the kick off, Jamaica showed that they meant business with an effort from the left going wide of the upright but T&T soon settled and took the game to the “Reggae Boyz”.
Stephen Knox was not afraid to run at the Jamaican defence and pushed through to the touchline before being bundled over with the ball running out for a goal kick.
On eight minutes T&T made their first serious attempt at goal when left sided workhorse Akeem Adams floated one into the box and Knox nodded on for Robert Primus but he couldn’t keep his header down.
A minute later Jamaica responded, this time, Noel Mais shot wide from well inside the 18-yard box.
Jamaica were trying to make inroads from either sides of the pitch and opted for the deep service approach. McKauly Tulloch and Dever Orgill had further chances for them.
But Molino, coming in for Daniel Cyrus and making his first start of the tournament, had other ideas. The little man, wearing the number 19 shirt and easily one of the smallest players on the field, thrilled the fans and troubled the Jamaican players with his deft touch and willingness to travel with the ball at his feet. Constant step overs and an almost unorthodox way of weaving his way between players made up Molino’s game. “Latapy come back again” was the clear choice of words being heard in the Jamaican accent from a few in the covered stands.
The CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh player rested the hurt on the “Reggae Boyz” and booked T&T’s passage to Korea in the process when he collected on the right and fluently moved goalwards, going between the two centre halves before clinically burying a right footer into the far corner of the net. Just like that and just as Corneal had ordered, T&T were up 1-0 and Korea looked closer.
As anticipated, the hosts didn’t back down. Shortly after Kabari Palmer picked up on a bad clearance and tried his luck from 35 yards out but to no avail.
From then on T&T goalkeeper Glenroy Samuel’s night of bravery began between the uprights. He would go on to make vital interceptions and stops to easily walk away with the “Man of the Match” award.
T&T continued to play though before the interval took both teams to the dressing rooms. Molino was busy on both sides even finding himself deep in his team’s half, going for balls and taking it forward. While Knox and Leston Paul would have been observed previously, the Jamaicans knew little or nothing of Molino and he was having a time.
Five minutes before the break, one came over from the right but Adams skied over bar as he rushed in on the far post.
For a period, the home fans, maybe about 5,000 of them in the Stadium, would go silent as T&T stifled their team on the pitch. To their credit too, they never once showed any signs of troubling the T&T team members nor their section of 60 odd fans positioned just above the players tunnel.
In the 43rd minute, Molino drifted down the left, played inside for Paul who in turn slipped to his right for Knox inside the box but even as he rounded goalie Oneil Wilson, his hurried shot went over an unprotected goal. A goal there probably would have taken the sting out of the hosts but they continued to press and out muscle T&T.
Almost on the stroke of half time though, Molino again caused them problems as he played inside for Knox but as quick ball runner moved away from the goalie, he pushed too much and had his tight angled attempt cleared by a defender.
One could sense that the Jamaicans would throw everything forward in search of the equalizer in the second half and that was exactly what transpired. T&T had to dig deep in defense but skipper Ryan O’Neil, workhorse Jean Luc Rochford and Robert Primus fought like “Warriors” at the back. And Samuel left his best performance of the series for the final bout. His showing was comparable to Floyd Mayweather’s gutsy display in the ring the previous night, his presence in goal growing stronger stronger as the battle ticked over. Early in the second half he had to recover quickly to stop a point blank effort by Mais after punching the initial cross and falling to the ground. Coach David Hunte introduced Akeen Brown and Andre Steele into the attack and though the fresh legs threatened T&T for a short period, it was not enough to break them. Down the stretch Chad De Freitas and Cyrus came on for T&T while Aubrey Davis had replaced injured defender Sheldon Bateau on 64 minutes.
As Jamaica forced their way in and around the T&T penalty area, the frightening shout of “Gooooallll” from the fans turned into jeers after Dever Orgill’s strike was ruled offside in the 65th minute.
Molino almost got a second goal 12 minutes from time when his shot was stopped by the ‘keeper after T&T tried to capitalize on a quick break. By then Jamaica were barely trying to spoil T&T’s eventual party but when the sounds of Machel Montano’s “We reach the stage… we warming up” blasted from the music boxes, it was a clear signal to Seoul that the “Soca Warriors” would be arriving in August.

Teams:

Jamaica:
- Oneil Wilson, Damaine Thompson, Kenneil Hyde, Marvin Boothe (Andre Steele 60th), Noel Mais (Christopher Waugh 76th), Jermaine Jarrett, Kabari Palmer, Shamari Brown, Yannick Salmon (Akeem Brown 59th), McKauly Tulloch, Dever Orgill.

Subs not used: - A Blake, P Kafach, C Banner, Adrian Christian, Shabon Brown.

Booked: - Shamar Brown (74th)

Trinidad & Tobago: - Glenroy Samuel, Ryan O’Neil (capt), Sheldon Bateau (Aubrey Davis 54th), Akeem Adams, Leston Paul, Stephen Knox (Daniel Cyrus 81st), Robert Primus, Jean-Luc Rochford, Chike Sullivan, Micah Lewis (Chad De Freitas 80th), Kevin Molino.

Subs not used: - J Fullerton, B Balbosa, S DeSilva, S Chang, M Joseph, I Ferguson.

Booked: - Ryan O'Neil (70th)

Officials: - Referee: Jose Guerrero (Nicaragua)
Assistant Referees: Hector Delgadillo (Mexico) & Florencio Osiris (Honduras)
Fourth Official: Rudolph Angela (Aruba)
Match Commissary: Colin Klass (Guyana)
Referee Inspector: Lisle Austin (Barbados)
T&T’s newest football sensations arrives home tonight.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Caribbean Airlines will take newest squad of football sensations back to Trinidad and Tobago on Monday and may well be advised to set up route to Korea following this country’s qualification for the 2007 FIFA Under 17 World Championship.
Scenes of high emotion and jubilation took over the field and the T&T dressing room at the National Stadium, Kingston on Sunday night as T&T’s National Under 17 footballers celebrated their 1-0 win over Jamaica to seal up the third spot from the group towards the Championship. It meant that T&T made it through to the World Championship, first time as qualifiers, joining 23 other countries including those such as Japan, hosts Korea, Korea DPR, Tajikistan, Syria, Nigeria,Togo, Ghana and Syria, Haiti and Honduras, Brazil, Colombia, Peru and Argentina and New Zealand among others at the Championships.
Coach Anton Corneal and his junior “Soca Warriors” sang, pranced and hugged anyone in sight as the sounds of Soca blared from the music speakers and the sight of Jamaican colours quickly disappeared from the stands.
Corneal had used the track “Lion” by T&T songster Kees Diffenthaller from Kes the Band to get his players battle ready. The song, with the words “I am a lion… I am a fighter” is about preparing one for the many challenges in life, finding strength within one’s heart, holding on to dreams even though it seems out of reach and inspite of  the many that would always try to bring down a brother. That in a nutshell could sum up the display from this team.  From regular captain Jesse Fullerton being forced to the bench for all four games and his replacement Glenroy Samuel being a giant in goal and the tale of  little Kevin Molino’s winning reward for Corneal’s decision to start him for the first time in such a critical affair; the little recognition from fans and media going into the tournament to the numerous congratulatory messages and calls from local and international media which followed on Sunday night into the early hours of Monday morning relates to it all.
“This is one of the few teams that came through a pilot project. Two years ago we got this in place, Some people just didn’t understand long term planning and we had our obstacles. I think this team deserves every bit of its success and the players did it at times against the odds even with the critics and that’s only normal to have the critics. It seems that is part of our society,” Corneal told TTFF Media moments after the win.

“When I look at what Brian Lara had to go through, I ask who am I?”

“I hope now this can open the eyes. It’s not about Anton Corneal but instead it’s about realizing that if the proper structure is put in place at least we will be put in a position to be successful and  to qualify for more World Cups,” Corneal continued.
He also mentioned the vision and efforts of TTFF Special Advisor Jack Warner and the Federation. Warner had initiated the setting up of National Under 15 team in October 2004.
“His vision was also clear and that gave me a lot of support.  Warner, Groden…. They gave us a lot of support and it’s easier when you have that support, when they stick with you through it. These players have proven them right and this is not the end all. We have to continue this trend by having long term preparations.
“Working with a team for a long time is so helpful. I knew we would be able to break teams once we played… I knew we would create chances. We have to take the talent and work with it for a long time or else we would never realize the full potential in our football.”
The former National player, also assistant coach for the T&T Senior team also credited his staff for their tireless efforts not just at matches but also during the screening sessions throughout country which brought players to the team from Mayaro, Point Fortin, La Brea, Cascade, Couva, San Juan, Biche, Morvant, Arima, Petit Valley, Mount Hope, Glencoe, Carenage, Port of Spain and Plymouth in Tobago. He added that the input from Dutchman Wim Rijsbergen was invaluable and appreciated the assistance of technical director Lincoln Phillips.

Hard work was the order of everyday. Just ask Molino.

“I got the chance and I know I had to put in my hardest bit of work today. This was the game to score in. I watched the big players make it to a World Cup and I felt happy. I wanted to make a World Cup too and make the country proud and I really feel we were able to do that with this win,” the Carenage youngster concluded. T&T contingent is scheduled to touch down at Piarco at 8:15pm Monday.
Phillips: T&T team well prepared.
By: Kern De Freitas (Express).
[/size]

Two years ago, Trinidad and Tobago had only one World Football Championship qualification under their belts. Now that number has tripled, with the Under-17 national team making the journey to Korea for the World Under-17 Championship in August, in the wake of the senior team's debut at the 2006 World Cup in Germany.
The Young Soca Warriors booked their place with a 1-0 victory over hosts Jamaica at the National Stadium in Kingston on Sunday night in the second match of a double-header in CONCACAF qualifying.
Lincoln "Tiger" Phillips, former national goalkeeper and technical director of the T&T Football Federation, is singing the youngsters' praises and is citing preparation as the key to their success.
"The team that went over there, mentally they were well prepared...physically the team was well prepared."
The Young Warriors, despite losing 2-0 and 3-0 to Costa Rica and USA, respectively, in their opening games, defeated Canada 2-1 on Friday to remain in with a chance to qualify, before they edged the Jamaicans to make it certain.
"...I don't think the odds were against us," Phillips told the Express yesterday. "I thought we had a very good chance of qualifying."
Phillips revealed that in planning for the CONCACAF qualifying tournament, they had targeted the matches against Canada and Jamaica as must-win to get one of the three spots on offer from their group.
"It's difficult to beat them (Costa Rica and USA). We felt that these two teams (Canada and Jamaica) were beatable," Phillips explained. "We felt that we had to win these two games."
He added that helped the players to focus, even after losing their first two games.
"I don't think they were down. They recognised their chances of qualifying laid with the two last teams."
Phillips also felt the fact that the team have been together for the last two years was "a huge factor" in their qualification.
"The team was the best prepared team that we have ever had in a long time," he stated.
He also pointed out that the CFU Under-15 tournament, which this same squad competed in, was useful in helping them get international experience.
Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Roger Boynes also extended congratulations to the young players on their achievement.
"I am sure that these young players will continue to do full justice to all of the investments made in them and which they have made in themselves," Boynes said in a release from the Ministry yesterday. "As an association that overseas the world's most popular sport, the T&TFF has succeed once again in exhibiting our sporting prowess on a world stage.
"Every citizen of Trinidad and Tobago must be proud of this achievement and should be spurred on by our youth footballers to excellence in all endeavours."
And T&TFF special adviser Jack Warner also commended the team for qualifying for the World Championship.
"...while my confidence in our team never waned, the odds had become overwhelmingly acute as the elimination stage advanced," Warner said yesterday, "forcing our Young Soca Warriors into a crucial corner from first whistle in Sunday's game against Jamaica, but the combination of prayer and performance clearly triumphed."

« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 08:12:10 AM by palos »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T make sure for Korea.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 06:17:52 AM »
Well done Fellaz

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 06:38:47 AM »
Weh in South Korea are the games going to be... does anyone know? Who knows maybe Kim Jong-il will cross the border and come watch some real WARRIORS play. After he see how Trinbagonian’s does lime and unite next thing he want to be ah Trini yes. Just like what we do in Germany. Just imagine Kim Jong-il taking ah wine down low. :rotfl:
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 06:57:49 AM »
Good Job by Corneal.

To get a youth team to qualify for world cup from TnT is no Joke.

At youth level we have never really been conpetitive in concacaf.

Props goes to Lincoln Phillips as well.

Hopefully this team can continue we the good going and be the first TnT team to make it out of the group stages in the world cup.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 07:12:24 AM »
keep allyuh eyes on de prize.well done lads. :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 07:39:13 AM »
A big and massive shout out to the youths on the national under 17 team. Quality stuff.....congrats!!

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 08:39:28 AM »
congrats to the youths.

2 world cup squads in 1 year is more than i coulda ask for.

question: are the players on this team SSFL standouts? i eh recognize many of the names.

FIFA writeup:

http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/index/0,2442,137302,00.html?comp=U17&year=2007&articleid=137302

FIFA U-17 World Cup Korea 2007
USA lead the way to Korea

...Whereas both the Americans and the Ticos were able to ease through their final match, both knowing their fate, Trinidad & Tobago had to sweat out their final matchday. Earning three points from a 2-1 win over Canada, they were one point behind the Canucks (on 4) and facing a Caribbean grudge-match with the host Jamaicans, who were also on three points.

The situation was simple: win to go through. The Trinidadians kept the calmer of the two island sides and 16-year-old Kevin Molino's lone goal in the 13th minute had the young Soca Warriors cheering their ticket to Korea.

The win marks a massive boom for the dual-island nation, whose senior side turned heads and created a sensation in their first-ever appearance at a FIFA World Cup™ last year in Germany.

The USA, T&T and Costa Rica will now join debutants Haiti and Honduras in the Far East, the two sides qualifying vying the first Group (A) of qualifying last month in Tegucigalpa. CONCACAF - along with UEFA - will send the largest party to the Far East, with five representatives in all.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 08:41:28 AM »
GUESS WHO ELSE LANDING IN PIARCO AT 8:15PM ;D ;D ;D ;D

COME AND GREET ME............ AH MEAN DE TEAM ;D
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 08:50:03 AM »
GUESS WHO ELSE LANDING IN PIARCO AT 8:15PM ;D ;D ;D ;D

COME AND GREET ME............ AH MEAN DE TEAM ;D

i hear de police go be waiting fuh yuh.

something bout a bench warrant.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 09:46:34 AM »
congrats to the youths.

2 world cup squads in 1 year is more than i coulda ask for.

question: are the players on this team SSFL standouts? i eh recognize many of the names.

FIFA writeup:

http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/index/0,2442,137302,00.html?comp=U17&year=2007&articleid=137302

FIFA U-17 World Cup Korea 2007
USA lead the way to Korea

...Whereas both the Americans and the Ticos were able to ease through their final match, both knowing their fate, Trinidad & Tobago had to sweat out their final matchday. Earning three points from a 2-1 win over Canada, they were one point behind the Canucks (on 4) and facing a Caribbean grudge-match with the host Jamaicans, who were also on three points.

The situation was simple: win to go through. The Trinidadians kept the calmer of the two island sides and 16-year-old Kevin Molino's lone goal in the 13th minute had the young Soca Warriors cheering their ticket to Korea.

The win marks a massive boom for the dual-island nation, whose senior side turned heads and created a sensation in their first-ever appearance at a FIFA World Cup™ last year in Germany.

The USA, T&T and Costa Rica will now join debutants Haiti and Honduras in the Far East, the two sides qualifying vying the first Group (A) of qualifying last month in Tegucigalpa. CONCACAF - along with UEFA - will send the largest party to the Far East, with five representatives in all.

Ah like tha part...it sounds so sweet to my ear. We will also repeat such a performance once again to the world.  I’m in amazement of the performance that we’re putting forward to becoming more recognized in footballing world. WE must also be proud of US as fans that support the Worriers and our diligence to back them, even in the bad times. WE must be happy to known that this is only the beginning for football in our nation. CONGRATULATIONS T&T!
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 06:47:54 PM »
But Molino, coming for Daniel Cyrus and making his first start of the tournament, had other ideas. The little man, wearing the number 19 shirt and easily one of the smallest players on the field, thrilled the fans and troubled the Jamaican players with his deft touch and willingness to travel with the ball at his feet. Constant step overs and  an almost unorthodox way of weaving his way between players  made up Molino’s game. “Latapy come back again” was the clear choice of words being heard in the  Jamaican accent from a few in the covered stands.

Mr. Fuentes doh tease meh nah. Could it really be the 2nd coming of Russell?!?!
Give thanks to all dem youth and all responsible for this achievement!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 06:54:56 PM »
But Molino, coming for Daniel Cyrus and making his first start of the tournament, had other ideas. The little man, wearing the number 19 shirt and easily one of the smallest players on the field, thrilled the fans and troubled the Jamaican players with his deft touch and willingness to travel with the ball at his feet. Constant step overs and  an almost unorthodox way of weaving his way between players  made up Molino’s game. “Latapy come back again” was the clear choice of words being heard in the  Jamaican accent from a few in the covered stands.

Mr. Fuentes doh tease meh nah. Could it really be the 2nd coming of Russell?!?!
Give thanks to all dem youth and all responsible for this achievement!
i have to see it to believe. any way i see some highlights of d game i like molino goal. plus d canada game we let in a soft goal form d keeper mistake but tht is small thing he young still. i like d attitude and spirit d team show
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Strip

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 09:08:31 PM »
Express just update and this didnt even make front page news.... I guess I was expecting too much

Offline Sentinel

• Full Warrior
  • Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 09:25:04 PM »

Really would hope that the likes of Dwight, Stern, Latapy, Edwards etc. have a chance to meet with the young warriors at some point in time before the tournament, to instill in them a sense of pride, encouragement and advice as the young warriors move forward.

Luv U T&T

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 09:55:24 PM »
Nice read but Anton spare me the bigging up of jack and u ain'y no Lara.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 10:58:14 PM »
well done lads...... u did us all proud.... juss de women team to qualify for a world championship now

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 05:55:17 AM »
Where all them BIG MOUTH Jamaicans on this board gone now ? like they mouth gone up in they ass..... ah man say we coming dead last.... where him.... that pussy...

We eliminated them and,,,, in Jamaica too........... f00ck de office.

They knock out our under 20 team but didn't go NO where after that, we took it up a level and qualified now, pay back is a bitch.... they talk to dam much....

Come support T&T, HAI, HON, USA and CRC...  :devil:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 06:03:54 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 08:41:08 AM »
Which one ah dese youthmen is Molino?

TNT TNT TNT!!!!!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 09:22:30 AM »
Which one ah dese youthmen is Molino?

TNT TNT TNT!!!!!!

de #19, bottom row second from de right  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

1]; } ?>