April 26, 2024, 08:46:05 PM

Author Topic: CARICOM/West Indies Football Team  (Read 12824 times)

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
CARICOM/West Indies Football Team
« on: April 18, 2005, 08:16:15 PM »
if trinidad never make it to the world cup god forbid!

does any one else think that new formation of ccj and impending acceptance of the csme

(caribbean single market economy for you dummys) sooner rather than later the caribbean might come together in much the same way as in cricket to be a football dominator in the world

what would the qualifying be like?????
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: team caricom/west indies
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 09:10:11 PM »

Never happen.

Store Bay Limer had a posts/thread on that idea before.
As a matter of fact I think he even draft up plans for it.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 04:35:38 AM »
not possible!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Strip

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 07:41:43 AM »
hope not

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
The proposed Football team: "Caribbean Hurricanes"
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 10:03:27 AM »
Once more I raise the question as to the merits of having a strong formidable REGIONAL Caribbean football team.

Realistically, would any of our national football team reach the level to compete consistently with the likes of Brazil, England, France, Germany, Italy Argentina OR Spain?

Let's carefully examine the development and growth of soccer in our region with an objective mind set. With the exception of Jamacia at a WCQ appearance, what have the other islands been able to accomplish? As individidual islands do we have the depth and players resources to keep going out on our own with the hope that one day we'll be consistently be on the big stage?

Could we not develop  and train a strong regional contingent to compete  internationally at a level that would be successful?

What are the merits and down side to a venture as proposed? Given the players we have in the region today what would the make up of a regional team look like? I am proposing we call the team the "CARIBBEAN HURRICANES"
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 10:21:34 AM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The proposed Football team: "Caribbean Hurricanes"
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 12:20:14 PM »
Considering the team's composition: FILL in the BLANKS

Goal:  Ince TNT; Rickettes JA; Shaka TNT

Defence:

Midfields:

Forwards: ?????L.Shelton JA/   St.Lucia????/ Guyana??? TNT JA??? Cuba??? Haiti??

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 12:40:43 PM »
Alberta i like your idea but i think this will be near impossible to achieve,i can give a number of reasons why but would not go into it.I'm just looking at Trinidad & Tobago we does have so much problems for us to come together or form a team just think of trying to do that with the Caribbean. 

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 12:58:28 PM »
Forget this West indian stupidness lol...we country have to go it alone period.Why should we have to be Godparents of the rest of them islands and when they get what they want from we then they turn round and stab we.Look at cricket,when they weren't selecting our players in the 90's when they merited a pick(Dhanraj,Gray,Williams,etc) we shoulda just drop out and try to get Test status for ourselves.
I was just praying that flipping Jamaica didn't get a full hit from Dennis, not cause i worried bout them people but we woulda had to send them bout another $100million or so in assistance.I better stop now yes.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 01:01:17 PM »
Come nah man.. If we in a position to help we should... Feel proud that our country can do some much for others in thier time of need.. Well will get what we rightly deserve man .. Doh dig no horrars!!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2005, 01:27:12 PM »
Allyuh jokie yes......you'll want Jack to loose his Presidentcy and get heart attack or what.Right now Monsterrat has de same voting rights as Mexico.With one Caribbean team it will be one vote for all ah we.Jack will never allow dat because he needs the votes of Monsterrat,StKitts,Grenada,St Lucia and de other Caribbean islands to stay in power.
Anyway some years ago when Trinidad almost qualified for Italy dat talk came up among ALL de islands including Jamaica and Jack shoot dat down before it stand up properly saying it was taking us back to colonial times.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 02:22:25 PM »
I like this topic because we can all learn something from what's going on here,you see is only when you start getting deep into it you will realize how complicated it is,the best thing for Caribbean Football is for it to stay as it is,lets hope down the road the overall standard will improve,but i still can't see us improving if our best players play over seas.

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2005, 02:25:54 PM »
but i still can't see us improving if our best players play over seas.

Why not Coop?

Offline aliegordon123

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2005, 03:39:26 PM »
Who do u think the players wud be any way.. there so much to be considered.. the selections wud difficult

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2005, 03:42:10 PM »
but i still can't see us improving if our best players play over seas.

Why not Coop?
After thinking about what i wrote there i think i leave myself open to a lot of questions and i know what you are thinking,i know playing in better leagues will improve the quality of our players but i was just looking at it from the players home point of view,we need players that will lift the standard of our leagues and if the best ones go we will always be average.  

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2005, 05:02:16 PM »
I understand where you're coming from, and I don't necessarily disagree, but my viewpoint is this:  In a small country such as T&T most of the best players will end up playing abroad, if for no other reason than more money.  Who can begrudge them this?  A country the size of T&T our domestic league can only become so lucrative. 

If we leave it up to foreign leagues to develop our players we will be at a severe disadvantage, as this will benefit the few (players who make it overseas), while leaving behind the domestic players.  We definitely need a good domestic league, with good, well educated coaches which in turn creates players of a minimum standard.  That will lift the standard of our leagues.

Members of this forum continually sing the praises of Brazil, so I'll use them as an example.  Many of their 'A'  squad players play in Europe, without damaging their national program.  The same goes for many other countries.  The reason is that their leagues (clubs, coaches, facilities) will always produce players who can play.  Their standard will always be fairly high.

I guess my point is, let's get some good coaches at youth level on up, and it wont matter where our players play.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2005, 08:34:26 PM »
Come nah man.. If we in a position to help we should... Feel proud that our country can do some much for others in thier time of need.. Well will get what we rightly deserve man .. Doh dig no horrars!!

you know if u give too much help it turns into a dependency after a while and they'll never learn to fix their own problems.Picture America and the Third World countries then look at PNM and Laventille.Is basically the same principle,somebbody helping but they helping cause they expecting something in return.Whereas what we getting from them islands,nothing except backstabbing later on.We can help them but i don't think we should help them out so much especiialy when we lacking in certain things ourselves.
Feliz

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2005, 08:36:06 PM »
Actually the better move might be to establish a Caribbean Professional League,maybe our players might become more intense by playing against people who ent really like them from up the islands lol
Feliz

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2005, 08:54:32 PM »
Feliziano,

You might be on to something with a Caribbean pro league. It has been proposed before but many has seen it as too cost prohibitive. I say there are many  more reasons for us to pursue this than there are not.

As it stands now, football is tied intrinsically to the cultural fabric of each of the island. There is an inherent nationalistic and patriotic support for national teams.

Is it conceviable to have multi corporations: Digicel, CLICO, BP, Appleton, Carib,  and others to sponsor professional teams?

Will the caribbean public  support a regional professional league so as to sustain its viability?

We need to begin the dialogue and think big when it comes to the development of football on a regional scale. Would people be more inclined to support a local professional team when  they face another from a different island? Would the regional concept  stir up more interest in football and create  enhanced regional rivalries. Man I remember when in Trinidad we had intense North South matches before the East had teams. This rivalry played out from the intercol level to the intense club rivalries. Crowds for north south games were a plenty. What has become of that?

As a south man, it was my determine to beat north. The rivarly was healthy and brought out the best. Could the same be said if we developed a Caribbean professional league?

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2005, 09:07:42 PM »
shit..i just write a long flecking post and it disappeared geez..ill see if i can remember what i wrote lol
Feliz

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2005, 09:39:19 PM »
Yes I believe the benefits of starting and developing a Caribbean Pro league will definitely pay off for the whole region ( cricket should look at it too).We need that fighting instinct to survive in this world.

Well i see you mentioned that the cultural aspect of it (i call it insularity lol) where everybody feel theirs is the best etc, which is so true. Look a couple weeks ago when Liverpool play Milan,i sure 99% of the UK was rooting for Liverpoo regardless if they supported a rival team. People obviously going to supprt something from their neck of the woods before they support something foreign.
 That was also a good comparision bout the Intercol teams cause people do tend to support something thats local (community based like St.Benedict's), they can relate too or look up too.

We have enough corporate money going round in the Caribbean now to fully sponsor a couple teams from the islands. A team could have a group of sponsors if they cant' get a big one like Clico or Carib to pay for everything. From Trinidad alone we could get bout 4 or 5 teams who already have the structure in place like Joe Public, W Connection, Jabloteh and Petrotrin.Then you have Harbor View from jamiaca .Every country doesnt have to enter a team anyway cause we could easily get 12-15 teams.You could get a team from the Leewards and Winwards, Guyana, Suriname,couple Bajans ,Cubans etc.

With the logistical problems the league is going to encounter i would suggest the governments subsidize with the travelling with BWIA or LIAT etc.
I really kinda liking this now oui ;D

Yuh know i feel we had more of a rivalry with the other islands when we had that Shell Cup running cause everybody wanted to beat we. Now we ent getting the kinda test we want when we playing Grenada and Barbados, and if they beat we, we don't really seem to care as much as before.
Feliz

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2005, 08:32:04 AM »
Actually the better move might be to establish a Caribbean Professional League,maybe our players might become more intense by playing against people who ent really like them from up the islands lol

Actually we had a caribbean pro league but it died. The logistics were killing the finances of the clubs plus you had very poor crowd support. If this is to be achieved it should take the form of the Eu champion's league...which in a way we do have but like all things West Indian the marketing is poor.

Let us first develop our fledgling pro league at home and then consider the possiblities of exporting it.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2005, 09:33:17 AM »
Don't you think at times we have to stop the thinking which says it's just 'West Indian?" When do we start rethinking the way we do things?

Just because it failed once could we not try this again in different times?

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2005, 12:32:26 PM »
Don't you think at times we have to stop the thinking which says it's just 'West Indian?" When do we start rethinking the way we do things?

Just because it failed once could we not try this again in different times?

Well Alberta how do you propose to counter the problems which ended the first league?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2006, 12:59:05 PM »
So to spark up football in the region ah saying we have an ALL star Caribbean team  playing aganist :

an All star African Team; the best from Central and South America; and bring on a United Euro team.

Leh we host that  tournament right here in TNT sponsored by our very own Pro league.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2006, 03:59:58 PM »
Forget this West indian stupidness lol...we country have to go it alone period.Why should we have to be Godparents of the rest of them islands and when they get what they want from we then they turn round and stab we.Look at cricket,when they weren't selecting our players in the 90's when they merited a pick(Dhanraj,Gray,Williams,etc) we shoulda just drop out and try to get Test status for ourselves.
I was just praying that flipping Jamaica didn't get a full hit from Dennis, not cause i worried bout them people but we woulda had to send them bout another $100million or so in assistance.I better stop now yes.

You are such an ignorant individual its not even funny. Topic surrounds football, you have to close out your reply by mentioning hand outs to Jamaica. yuh forget that Jamaica pumps US$1Billion into the T&T economy ever year!

truetrini

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2006, 04:26:24 PM »
yeah boy Feliz, now yuh have me agreeing with RF.  What de hell yuh mean yuh did not care about de Jamaicans who would have been hurt by the hurricane, is kjes de $$$ in handouts?

steups.

And how yuh always looking tuh bring politics in ting so?

Like yuh forget to link de Caroni sugar workers tuh de UNC...dat is jes like how uh link Laventille tuh de PNM.

Blinders maybe?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 04:28:21 PM by truetrini »

Offline Flash7

• Full Warrior
  • Allez Le Rouge et Bleu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2006, 05:44:37 PM »
well i think it wouldn't b so bad if the lesser known nations do it, such as the Cayman Islands, Anguilla, British Virgin Islands, Saint Martin, and US Virgin Islands would form their own unified Caribbean team. Howeva, teams like Cuba, Haiti, Trinidad & Tobago, Jamaica, Martinique, Guyana, and Guadeloupe can hold their own as they have proven time and time again.

Offline junior

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
West Indian Team
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2007, 02:48:25 PM »
Why should the people of the Caribbean suffer,there is no doubt that a West Indian football team could beat anybody.We should forget differences and join forces,there has got to be drastic changes before a team from the English speaking Caribbean is taken seriously.Trinidad and Jamaica will always be novelty value at world cups if they do make it.Its on the cards already that neither TT
or Jam would make to 2010 WC, its always going to be Mexico,USA,Costa Rica and Honduras TTand Jam would be in the same category as Guatemala,fighting for the bloody scraps.Somebody,please start something,anything lets look to the future as winners of the World Cup, instead of just appearing for novelty value.Become the boss of CONCACAF at least,shut down Mexico and USA,show the whole lot that a population of 5 million could be the greatest football team in the world.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CARICOM/West Indies Football Team
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2007, 03:09:30 PM »
Why should the people of the Caribbean suffer,there is no doubt that a West Indian football team could beat anybody.We should forget differences and join forces,there has got to be drastic changes before a team from the English speaking Caribbean is taken seriously.Trinidad and Jamaica will always be novelty value at world cups if they do make it.Its on the cards already that neither TT
or Jam would make to 2010 WC, its always going to be Mexico,USA,Costa Rica and Honduras TTand Jam would be in the same category as Guatemala,fighting for the bloody scraps.Somebody,please start something,anything lets look to the future as winners of the World Cup, instead of just appearing for novelty value.Become the boss of CONCACAF at least,shut down Mexico and USA,show the whole lot that a population of 5 million could be the greatest football team in the world.

If creating a Caribbean team were to result in a regional superpower, wouldn't that be a bit unfair on the teams we suddenly leapfrogged?

If we're going to allow it in the Caribbean, then why not allow it in Europe too - let teams like Portugal and Spain combine - inidividually they are pretty good teams, but together they might win a world cup. And if they still not good enough, you could throw in Holland and Czech Republic  ::)

By the way, you aren't Trini or Jakan are you?  ;D

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2007, 03:12:33 PM »
Looking at the financial problems. Wouldn't it be the TTFF that needs that assistance.  :devil:
jjbrown

1]; } ?>