April 26, 2024, 12:42:48 PM

Author Topic: 2007 U-17 Draw: T&T in tough group.  (Read 16655 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
2007 U-17 Draw: T&T in tough group.
« on: May 17, 2007, 04:47:45 AM »
T&T in tough U-17 group.
Compiled By: Flex Mohammed.

The Official Draw for the FIFA U-17 World Cup took place at the Grand Ballroom of the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Seoul on Thursday 17 May at 18:00 local time. FIFA's Director of Competitions Jim Brown presided over the event, which was attended by representatives of the 24 teams.

vs Ghana
The young Soca Warriors will open to Ghana on the 20th of August. Ghana have two FIFA U-17 World Cup titles in 1991 & 1995 and were runners-up in 1993 to Nigeria and 1997 to Brazil respectively. In 1991 and 1993 Ghana's Nii Odartey Lamptey and Daniel Addo took the adidas Golden Ball award. Now in 2007 Kelvin Owusu Bossman who plays with English Premiership outfit Reading is one of the Black Starlets star players. The attacker is also bullish about his chances of breaking into the first team of Reading. Ghana have played at seven past FIFA U-17 World Cups, the first of which was in 1989. Ghana have twice been African champions at U-17 level and were runners-up two years ago. Coached by Fred Osam Duodu who is one of African football’s coaching legends.

vs Colombia
The young Soca Warriors then face-off with Colombia who will be keen to emulate their first phase exploits the last time they made an appearance at the FIFA U-17 World Cup, when they eased through a competitive Group A at Finland 2003 en route to the semi-finals. In deadly Cristian Nazarith, they certainly have a player capable of illuminating the tournament. T&T will definitely have to come good in order to contain the America de Cali ambitious youngster. They qualified for Korea as runners-up to Brazil. Coached by Eduardo Lara of Argentina. T&T will face the Colombians on the 23rd. Colombia return to the FIFA U-17 World Cup after a four-year absence, having failed to qualify for Peru 2005. Korea 2007 will be Colombia’s fourth appearance at the competition, following previous outings at Scotland 1989, Japan 1993 and Finland 2003. Colombia’s best performance came at Finland 2003, current coach Eduardo Lara guiding them to fourth spot.

vs Germany
Then up next for the young Warriors will be none other than Germany a game set for the 26th. Germany, who was the last team to qualify for this tournament after defeating the Netherlands in the match for fifth place. They were 2006 UEFA European Under-17 Championship Semi-finalist. Their key players is Hertha BSC Berlin midfielder Sascha Bigalke who has been the centre of attention since he provided three of Germany’s six goals in the Algarve Cup, and he has seven goals in 12 caps at this level. Bigalke is partnered with FC Bayern München playmaker Toni Kroos, already up to 23 U-17 caps and nine goals. Add to that winger Henning Sauerbier from Bayer 04 Leverkusen, and defensive organisator Marvin Pachan of FC Schalke 04. Germany have a robust frame that enables them to take on any opposition. Hertha's Marvin Knoll form Hertha BSC Berlin is the youngest player in the team, but can play on the wing or up front and struck three times in the Elite round.
Former BV Borussia Dortmund striker Heiko Herrlich will lead Germany at the FIFA U-17 World Cup in Korea Republic after being named as Paul Schomann's successor. German Football Association sporting director Matthias Sammer made the decision to appoint the 35-year-old Herrlich from 1 July, after Schomann led his side to a fifth-placed finish at the UEFA European Under-17 Championships in Belgium to earn a World Cup place. "The change is normal," insisted Sammer. "Because of our long-term work and future planning with this team I decided that Herrlich should be Schomann's successor."
Schomann will now take charge of the Under-15 side, saying: "I am disappointed about this decision because I would have loved to be in charge during the World Cup. It would have been the highlight and conclusion of my three years of work with this team but I have to accept the sporting director's decision."

Note
The teams were divided into four pots according to various geographic and sporting considerations. Argentina, Brazil, Ghana, Nigeria, the USA and Korea Republic were the seeded teams, due to their pedigree of their teams at this particular age group. Prior to the draw it was agreed that as hosts of the competition, Korea Republic would be assigned in position A1. It was also announced that the group containing Korea DPR will be assigned to Seogwipo and that none of the groups would feature more than one team from each geographic region.
Anton Corneal told the TTFF media. “It’s a draw that we can work with. We will by no means feel as though this is a group of death or beyond us,” Corneal told TTFF Media. “It is our first time playing in an Under 17 Finals outside of when we hosted in 2001 and we will look forward to every challenge that comes our way. We will prepare and we will have our best go at these teams. We will now plan our preparation phase going into the tournament before arriving in Korea for the first game,” he added.

T&T Match Schedule.

20-Aug 07, 20:00-Cheonan, TRI - GHA
23-Aug 07, 20:00-Cheonan, TRI - COL 
26-Aug 07, 19:00-Changwon, GER - TRI

FIFA U-17 World Cup Korea 2007 Official Draw

Group A

A1. Korea Republic
A2. Peru
A3. Costa Rica
A4. Togo

Group B
B1. Korea DPR
B2. England
B3. Brazil
B4. New Zealand

Group C
C1. Honduras
C2. Spain
C3. Argentina
C4. Syria

Group D
D1. Nigeria
D2. France
D3. Japan
D4. Haiti

Group E
E1. Belgium
E2. Tunisia
E3. Tajikistan
E4. USA

Group F
F1. Colombia
F2. Germany
F3. Trinidad and Tobago
F4. Ghana

Click here to view the full match schedule.
Warner pulls T&T at U-17 draw.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/size]

FIFA Vice President Jack Warner issued a warning to the team's in T&T Under 17 Championship group as he pulled Trinidad and Tobago during the draw for the Finals on Thursday at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Seoul.
"Beware of Trinidad and Tobago!" Warner said.
The T&T delegation of head coach Anton Corneal and manager Christo Gouveia were in praise of Warner for pulling T&T as they looked ahead to the tournament with optimism. Warner took part in the draw as chairman of the organising committee for the tournament.
Following the draw and a sumptuous dinner, Warner invited Corneal and Gouveia to his suite where they planned strategies for the team for the next two months involving several camps and matches in South America and Europe. Warner has also arranged for Corneal and Gouveia to visit T&T's Korean venue on Friday as well as the team's hotel and has assured them that he will leave no stone unturned to ensure the team's comfort in Korea as well as their best performance on the field.
"We shall take nothing for granted as it relates to this team and its preparation for the Championship. This is the future of Trinidad and Tobago before us and while we would have made our mark in Germany last year, now this is our opportunity to remind the same Germans what we are capable of on the field of play. Our flag will once again be flown at the highest mark in Korea for the world to see and we shall leave no stone unturned in the build up to our appearance in Korea," Warner told TTFF Media.
Warner has also arranged a thank you celebration for the team and the members of their families as well as friends of the local football fraternity for 10am this Sunday at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. He has also advised the host country, Korea, that T&T will be interested in having a charter flight for T&T, especially its young people, to attend the tournament and plans are now afoot to make this a reality. There are no visa restrictions between T&T and Korea. Warner returns to T&T on Friday night and Corneal and Gouveia on Sunday morning.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 04:09:40 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Korea 2007 U-17 Draw: T&T in tough group.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 05:09:12 AM »
das a good group compared to some of the others

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 05:20:46 AM »
das a good group compared to some of the others

Yeh but USA have it nice like pie.  I wish that was us. Haiti  have it rough too.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 05:23:38 AM »
Costa Rica & USA get it nice

Haiti & T&T get wood.

At de end of de day, it eh have no "easy matches".  Yuh have to go out and PLAY.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 05:27:33 AM »
Is the world cup we talking about you know. Doh mind is U17 but anyhow you take it we would be in a tough group.

That Colombian side not easy. We know what the Germans will bring- discipline, sound technique and athleticism. Ghana is always very good at this level and will probably  be our toughest opponent.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 05:29:32 AM by Jah Gol »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: 2007 U-17 Draw: T&T in tough group.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 05:46:58 AM »
Mih eh care wha group we in......ah leaving dat fuh de real ball jumbies to pontificate and discuss  ;D........

GO WARRIORS!!     
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 05:51:14 AM »
Tough Group!!!!. All the time we want our team to qualify and now we balling tough group. If the prepare now they will be able to compete when the time comes. One thing I know is that the team better be fit.

Offline Flash7

• Full Warrior
  • Allez Le Rouge et Bleu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 05:52:45 AM »
i had a strong feeling Haiti and France would be in the same group. I can't wait for that matchup ;)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 06:15:55 AM »
I want Haiti beat dem bad.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 06:19:08 AM »
is the same football yuh have tuh play....go and enjoy this boys
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline gtokyo

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 06:20:42 AM »
Tough group but good experience for our players...
We are fortunate in the sense we are playing 3 brands/styles of football and that is good exposure for our under 17 youths.

South American-Colombia (skill wise)
African-Ghana (physical aspect)
European-Germany (technical aspect)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 06:23:53 AM »
good point gt....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline pompey_researcher

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 06:24:51 AM »
If someone can help I can get all the T&T starlets entering the FIFA U-17 Tournament onto the football management game Football Manager. I dont know whether the FIFA website will have this later on.

For every player of every squad though I would as a minimum require though

First Name
Last Name
Date of Birth OR Year of Birth
Position

Extras if known

Current Club
Height
Weight

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 06:38:02 AM »
Wow! It doesn't look good at all for us, guys.

In TnT's group colombia and ghana are hard to beat teams. Colombia for instance only lost to Argentina 2-1 and drew Brazil 0-0. They pulverized the other teams 5-0, 3-0 etc. Ghana has always had strong youth teams. They are the runners-up of the African tournament! Believe it or not, TnT's best chance may be against Germany if the various qualifying rounds are of any indication of the teams' strenght. Germany finished fifth in UEFA and qualified through a playoff against Holland.

Haiti's group is quite surprising. 3 out of the 4 teams in Group D are group winners in their respective confed tournaments. Japan won the Asian tournament while Nigeria dominated the African one with an impressive record of 7 Wins (2-0 over fancy rival Ghana), 0 draw, 0 defeat. Haiti will definitely need to beat France, which finished 4th in Europe.

So, it won't be easy for the caribbean sides. But, we will fight. ;)
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 06:48:42 AM »
Thas pressure good exposure ho ....the key to match these team has to be fitness because yo have to mach speed against physicality we have alot of work to do..alot   ....we definitely have to play some good practice mache against adult teams to expose us to the phyical aspect of the game

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 06:53:32 AM »
I wonder if we using the same kits.

Offline Flash7

• Full Warrior
  • Allez Le Rouge et Bleu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 07:03:36 AM »
Wow! It doesn't look good at all for us, guys.

In TnT's group colombia and ghana are hard to beat teams. Colombia for instance only lost to Argentina 2-1 and drew Brazil 0-0. They pulverized the other teams 5-0, 3-0 etc. Ghana has always had strong youth teams. They are the runners-up of the African tournament! Believe it or not, TnT's best chance may be against Germany if the various qualifying rounds are of any indication of the teams' strenght. Germany finished fifth in UEFA and qualified through a playoff against Holland.

Haiti's group is quite surprising. 3 out of the 4 teams in Group D are group winners in their respective confed tournaments. Japan won the Asian tournament while Nigeria dominated the African one with an impressive record of 7 Wins (2-0 over fancy rival Ghana), 0 draw, 0 defeat. Haiti will definitely need to beat France, which finished 4th in Europe.

So, it won't be easy for the caribbean sides. But, we will fight. ;)

At least Haiti isn't wasting any time in preparations. Peru's U-17 squad, which will be playing in group A this summer, is already in Haiti getting ready for their 2 exhibition matches.

Peru U-17 vs. Haiti U-17

match 1 will be played on friday, May 18th at 3:00 PM in St-Marc (Parc Levelt)

match 2 will be played on sunday, May 20th at 4:00 PM in Port-au-Prince (Stade Sylvio Cator)

TrinInfinite

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 07:04:08 AM »
why the hell we want ah easy group? ??? let de youths prove themselves against the best... let them get the experience and allow them to grow... I wouldnt want them in an easy group.. this is the BESS group for them...

God is de BOSS....

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 07:17:55 AM »
 Our WC record shows improvement.

In 91' we get 12 goals and score none. no points

In 2001 we get 9 and score 2. no points

In 2006 we get 4 and score none. 1 point

This lil team going to keep the trend going upwards.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 07:32:18 AM »
not too sure where you see the "improvement", is it the decline in the number of goals socred on us, please give me a break.

THE ONLY ACCEPTABLE IMPROVEMENT WOULD BE TO START SCORING SOME DAMN GOALS AND WIN SOME DAMN MATCHES!!! >:( >:( >:(

End of story............

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 07:54:31 AM »
not too sure where you see the "improvement", is it the decline in the number of goals socred on us, please give me a break.

THE ONLY ACCEPTABLE IMPROVEMENT WOULD BE TO START SCORING SOME DAMN GOALS AND WIN SOME DAMN MATCHES!!! >:( >:( >:(

End of story............

Ahmmm......de less goals u concede...de more likely you are to get a result.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 08:03:22 AM »

End of story............

Oooooh well sorry for being ignorant, I thought it was goals win matches. All righty then well forgive me for worrying, our team is in good shape then so let's have them go out and draw all their games 0-0  :waiting: :waiting: :waiting:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 08:05:03 AM »

End of story............

Oooooh well sorry for being ignorant, I thought it was goals win matches. All righty then well forgive me for worrying, our team is in good shape then so let's have them go out and draw all their games 0-0  :waiting: :waiting: :waiting:

Take win padnah.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 08:10:51 AM »
GHana game go be sweet.  I would pelt some kick vs ghana and colombia try to make them lose they head, and slow down ghana, vs germany speed it up, knox paul take it to them.  Hope some youths get some attention from scouts, fellas have a nice opportunity here.

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 08:34:10 AM »
This will a good experience for the guys. This U17 is a buildup to U20. I know they will give a creditable showing.
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2007, 08:54:25 AM »
It's funny how we are all making assumptions when we eh ever see most of these teams play.  We going based on the tradional records of their senior teams.  For all we know, we could win we group.  Let the fellas play some practice games of some of their WC counterparts, then we will see how competitive we can be.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2007, 09:10:20 AM »
Note
The teams were divided into four pots according to various geographic and sporting considerations. Argentina, Brazil, Ghana, Nigeria, the USA and Korea Republic were the seeded teams, due to their pedigree of their teams at this particular age group.

FIFA U-17 World Cup Korea 2007 Official Draw

A. Korea Republic/Peru/Costa Rica/Togo
B. Korea DPR/England/Brazil/New Zealand
C. Honduras/Spain/Argentina/Syria
D. Nigeria/France/Japan/Haiti
E. Belgium/Tunisia/Tajikistan/USA
F. Colombia/Germany/Trinidad and Tobago/Ghana

This is what I thought hmm...

Going on past results alone, seeds would be Brazil, Costa Rica, Argentina, Spain, France and South Korea as hosts. It could be Nigeria in the place of France or Spain, but i give France the edge as old champions and Spain the edge on more recent better results.

The concacaf teams would logically avoid costa rica, the south amezricans brazil and so forth

This could give something like this  

BRA/BEL/HAI/JAP
CRC/DPR/GHA/PER
ARG/ENG/TRI/TUN
SPA/USA/TAJ/COL
FRA/HON/SYR/NIG
KOR/GER/TOG/ZEA

I can't believing they make the seedings on such old results. I could be ok with giving nigeria the edge to give one african team a seed but even if Ghana record is impressive but they haven''t done anything of note since 1997. That was 5 tournaments ago. I not sure why the us seeded over CR either. The biggest surprise though is not having any European seeds. While it is true that Europe hasn't done well at this level since the Portuguese golden generation, i would've thought that politics would have forced them to add at least one..

korea has no pedigree whatsoever so is only as hosts they make it. When i see that, i realise more and more that they put we in Brazil group in 2001 just for Jack to make mor money  >:(

Anyway, at this stage, there are no tough groups or easy groups. Youth ball is a whole different story. you just go out there,prepare and then play. end of story. hope the ttff gets the message. good luck to the Young Warriors
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2007, 09:11:40 AM »
It's funny how we are all making assumptions when we eh ever see most of these teams play.  We going based on the tradional records of their senior teams.  For all we know, we could win we group.  Let the fellas play some practice games of some of their WC counterparts, then we will see how competitive we can be.

True but not likely...dat group hard no ass, but ah wishing the young warriors all the best. God's blessings!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2007, 09:56:26 AM »
To prepare for this tournament/group what International Teams should the U-17'S play beside WASA ;D

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2007, 10:32:48 AM »
Going on past reputation alone, it seems as if T&T's in a tough group. However, I haven't heard much about Ghana, Colombia or Germany in Under-17 competition, so we'll see how things transpire when our under-17s take the field in Seoul this summer.

Hopefully, Anton and his staff are scouting these teams closely.

1]; } ?>