April 24, 2024, 11:57:54 PM

Author Topic: Korea qualification eases Barber's W/Cup 'Tabanca'  (Read 2361 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Korea qualification eases Barber's W/Cup 'Tabanca'
« on: May 21, 2007, 04:47:27 PM »
Korea qualification eases Barber's W/Cup 'Tabanca'.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Former national midfielder Hutson Charles is finally waking up these days without much of a World Cup “tabanca”.
And there’s one reason for that really. And no it’s not the success of World Cup qualification by the Soca Warriors in 2006. It’s all because of the recent achievement by the National Under 17 team for which Charles was assistant coach. The Junior Soca Warriors had close to two and a half years together before going into the CONCACAF Final round of qualification and subsequently booking its place in the 2007 FIFA Under 17 World Championship.
Charles, a former Defence Force player, and like most Trinbagonians, still reflect sadly on the country’s last match failure to qualify for the FIFA World Cup in 1990. A fateful 1-0 loss to the United States ended those dreams but Charles, a valuable member of that team, declared that qualifying for Korea has laid his ghosts of 1989 to rest.
“As a player back then the dream and aspirations were to play at the highest level which was the World Cup. And since not qualifying after coming so close, it left a big hole in my future... my career. We have seen now what a going to a World Cup can do for a nation and for players and as individuals as well. And when we didn’t qualify in ’89 with all those high hopes it was almost like seeing a lot of things just go down the drain,” Charles told TTFF Media.
“But now I can tell you I have new life so to say. Failure to get to Italy was a huge disappointment and although what the Soca Warriors did last year eased a bit of the pain, personally it didn’t take care of everything. I was happy yes but not being part of it meant that there was something missing. And now being part of this effort with the Under 17s qualifying for a World Cup has proven to be a huge stress reliever for me. It will be difficult for people to really understand because of the situations myself and most of the other players from ’89 had to go through with that disappointment. We were all happy when the team made to Germany and now for me personally, qualifying for Korea with these youths is like my qualification for a World Cup,” Charles said.
“I feel tremendously as ease now.”
He recalled his days as an Under 17 player for T&T before graduating to the National Under 19 team that won the Caribbean Football Union Championship in 1984 under head coach Vernon Bain and then moving up under Hannibal Najjar to the Olympic team and then subsequently the Senior Team during that 80s era.
“That was  a really good period for us. I remember playing with guys like Clint Marcelle, Russell Sutton and a lot of other players from Barataria Ball Players as well. We won the Under 19 CFU Championship in ’84 under Vernon Bain. Russell (Latapy) wasn’t on that team because they felt he was too young. I personally felt he could have made it though. He later got his chance after I moved up to the Olympic team and that is when guys like Dwight, Leonson Lewis and Shaka and some of the others came into the ranks,” recalled Charles, affectionately known as “Barber” by all around him.
“Working with these Under 17 youngsters has been a real pleasure. I saw them from little boys make that transition into youths who are still maturing. I was with them since the early days when Ken Elie had them and then Anton Corneal took over to continue the tremendous job.”
Charles also mentioned the likes of those who were instrumental in him making the changeover from player to coach.
“I must give kudos to Gally Cummings, Richard Braithwaite who helped me get involved in the courses, Kenny Joseph, Lincoln Phillips, Ken Elie and Anton Corneal. These are all people with good knowledge. Of course Jack Warner has always had high hopes for me. I remember him saying this at one of the coaching closing ceremonies. Richard Groden, Sam Phillip are guys who would have my back and I am thankful for that,” added Charles who has completed the CFU Level One coaching course, the FA coaching license course at the Dr Joao Havelange Centre of Excellence as well as another FA course in Wales.

Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Korea qualification eases Barber's W/Cup 'Tabanca'
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 06:09:27 PM »
Big Up Barber my late mother's favourite Strike squad member. (today is 7 years she past) she could not believe that Gally did not start him Nov 19.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>