March 29, 2024, 03:56:51 AM

Author Topic: Connection shoot down Rangers in Pro Bowl.  (Read 8865 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Connection shoot down Rangers in Pro Bowl.
« on: May 27, 2007, 07:54:45 AM »
Connection shoot down Rangers in Pro Bowl.
By: Kern De Freitas (Express).
[/size]

W Connection finally have a hold on the T&T Pro League trophy that has eluded them for the last two years-the Courts Pro Bowl. But it nearly slipped from their grasp once more.
In the first three finals, they were up against CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh and twice they came out second best. On Friday night at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella, Superstar Rangers threatened to rain on their parade.
Connection eventually were 4-3 winners in the penalty shootout, after 90 minutes and injury time failed to separate the two teams in a 2-2 regulation time scoreline.
But Rangers-in their resplendent red and blue uniforms-made Connection work for every inch of the cup they eventually lifted at the end of the night. Even during the shootout, only a controversial spotkick separated the teams.
As he did in the semi-final against United Petrotrin, Connection custodian Jan Michael Williams pulled off two saves to deny Rangers defender Milton Gomez and midfielder Marc Borde.
And a debatable re-kick ordered by referee Neil Brizan gave Christian Viveros a second chance to beat Rangers 'keeper Shane Mattis. Connection's Elijah Joseph also fluffed his effort, but Borde's miss assured the "Savonetta Boys" the silverware.
Rangers skipper Errol McFarlane, though, could have given them a dream victory during stoppage time, but mistimed a perfect chip in the area and lifted it over the bar.
But at the halfway mark, it looked like Connection would win in a canter.
Rangers started the match brightly, but it was their opponents-with the full support of a good crowd at the Marabella venue-who threatened to score first. Earl Jean twice in the first ten minutes outpaced Rangers' defence to the ball before being called for offside.
Inevitably, Gefferson Goulart broke the offside trap in the 11th, despite pleas to Brizan from Rangers' backline, who stood still as Goulart chipped past the advancing Mattis for Jean to finish.
At the other end, Rangers were reduced to ineffective shots from outside the area, as the alert Connection defence crowded out McFarlane and playmaker Kerwyn Jemmott.
In the 24th, Connection doubled their lead through Andre Toussaint in similar fashion to the first, as he sprinted beyond the defence, skipped past the outstretched Mattis and walked the ball home.
They threatened to get another before the break, but Lorne Joseph cleared off the line from Andre Pacheco just before the whistle.
Rangers needed a change, and fast, to have any hope of stealing the crown. Coach Anthony Street replaced a visibly tired Jemmott with Ricardo Aleong and enjoyed immediate success. Ronaldo Viana kept the ball too long in the area and lost out to Aleong, who chipped into the 18-metre box for Peters to head sweetly past Williams in the 57th for a 2-1 scoreline.
On 70 minutes, Joseph was awarded a penalty, which McFarlane calmly slotted home to bring his team level with Connection at 2-2.
Then Devon Modeste forced Williams to tip over from close range and McFarlane faltered in stoppage time and, once more, the outcome needed to be decided from the spot.
There is little shame in losing to W Connection on kicks from the penalty mark after such an epic battle, which just might have been a case of deja vu for the boys in white and green, resembling their many tense encounters with arch-rivals Jabloteh.
In the end, the difference between the teams was a bit of luck and the class of a side who have been in such situations so many times before. And Rangers' reputation as a big threat in the T&T Pro League just grew bigger.

W Connection: - Jan Michael Williams, Clyde Leon, Elijah Joseph, David Atiba Charles, Andrei Pacheco, Nickcolson Thomas, Christian Viveros, Ronaldo Viana (Leslie Fitzpatrick 68th), Gefferson Goulart (Kevin Nelson 79th), Andre Toussaint (Shane Calderon 58th), Earl Jean (capt).

Superstar Rangers: - Shane Mattis, Dean Pacheco, Coneal Thomas, Marvin James (Milton Gomez 37th), Lorne Joseph (Elijah Belgrave 77th), Kerwyn Jemmott (Ricardo Aleong 55th), Devon Modeste, Marc Borde, Joseph Peters, Todd Ryan, Errol McFarlane (capt).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 08:10:07 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline true warrior

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Connection shoot down Rangers in Pro Bowl.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 08:10:24 AM »
 Congrats to W Connection :applause: 

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 08:12:12 AM »
Connection got the ref's favor....  :o

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 08:39:30 AM »
Rangers needed a change, and fast, to have any hope of stealing the crown. Coach Anthony Street replaced a visibly tired Jemmott with Ricardo Aleong and enjoyed immediate success. Ronaldo Viana kept the ball too long in the area and lost out to Aleong, who chipped into the 18-metre box for Peters to head sweetly past Williams in the 57th for a 2-1 scoreline.

Hmmmmmm.....

Men tired by minute 55?   ??? :o :(
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

TrinInfinite

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 08:42:44 AM »

Hmmmmmm.....

Men tired by minute 55? ??? :o :(

de reporter talking garbage, hardest pick up a slight injury from connection, thats why he was subbed...

God is de BOSS...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 08:45:12 AM »

Hmmmmmm.....

de reporter talking garbage, hardest pick up a slight injury from connection, thats why he was subbed...

God is de BOSS...

Thanx fuh de clarification.  8)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 08:59:42 AM »
i was there at the game...

Was a really good final with action and excitement and a very good crowd in attendance..

credit to Superstar Rangers for fighting back and almost winning it and bringing it to penalties... In short, W. Connection had the better of the game in the first half, but Superstar Rangers had the momentum in the second half. As soon as they pulled it back to 1-1, they Connection were on the back foot..

Hardest had a really poor game but in fairness to him I think he was played out of position... At the start he lined up almost as a second striker, behind McFarlane and he was misused there.. It meant that any ball to him, a man was always charging down on his back and he was either dispossessed or had to play it backwards... then he picked up an injury and had to come off...

If he was allowed to play a bit deeper to collect and face from the midfield it wouldve been a much different story.. He is not the quickest or strongest man on the field but he's the most skillful by a mile...

Its strange how long this final play and a post now come up with the result.. Like what dem fellahs saying about too much international news on de football board really have some credibility..

But all in all a great game, my first pro bowl game and i will be trying to get out to see many more..

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »
I fed-up hear players playing out of position. These men is professional ballers, they should be able to handle these things....

All we have in T&T is one position players. Or one foot players, come on...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 09:04:45 AM »
Its strange how long this final play and a post now come up with the result.. Like what dem fellahs saying about too much international news on de football board really have some credibility..

It MIGHT have someting to do wit de availability of media coverage for both events.

Or it might be dat some peeps who went de game never boddah to provide a match report after de game, so people have to rely on online newspaper reports to get dey info.  ;)

MAYBE EH?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 09:06:48 AM »
Hardest had a really poor game but in fairness to him I think he was played out of position... At the start he lined up almost as a second striker, behind McFarlane and he was misused there.. It meant that any ball to him, a man was always charging down on his back and he was either dispossessed or had to play it backwards... then he picked up an injury and had to come off...

If he was allowed to play a bit deeper to collect and face from the midfield it wouldve been a much different story.. He is not the quickest or strongest man on the field but he's the most skillful by a mile...

What would happen if de opposition were to man mark dis player?

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 11:25:12 AM »

It MIGHT have someting to do wit de availability of media coverage for both events.

Or it might be dat some peeps who went de game never boddah to provide a match report after de game, so people have to rely on online newspaper reports to get dey info.  ;)

MAYBE EH?

true talk, my bad..

I started typing up a match report but just thought I'd wait and see how long it would take for anyone to make a mention..

i'll post the report in a new thread

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 11:26:56 AM »

MAYBE EH?

true talk, my bad..

I started typing up a match report but just thought I'd wait and see how long it would take for anyone to make a mention..

Omarldinho yuh get deport ?  ;D (I knew my connections at the Home Office would come through  :angel:)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 11:28:37 AM »

In de same breath you wouldnt play Kaka in defence or play Riquelme where Crespo does play...

I think he was man-marked to an extent so I would have like to see him play in a deep midfield role (where they had Dean Pacheco), or out on the left where he would be most effective.. If he is the marquee player the team should be geared to his strengths, but that said, there was a marked difference in their play once he came off.

I not making excuses for de man but I just saying i know how quick people like to judge him based on what they read, and i dont think that game was enough to make a fair assessment...

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 11:31:41 AM »

MAYBE EH?

true talk, my bad..

Omarldinho yuh get deport ?  ;D (I knew my connections at the Home Office would come through  :angel:)

lol they could deport me??

just be glad i not there for the 5-a-side competition to hit allyuh fellahs some hurry shake like last year..

Ask oli about that i have video evidence if required...

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 11:41:12 AM »
Joker, Putting your head on Ronaldo's body doesn't using a video editing software count as video evidence

« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 11:43:29 AM by Serial Gum Bumper »

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 12:08:27 PM »

Hmmmmmm.....

God is de BOSS...

Thanx fuh de clarification.  8)

Is that clarification or is it spin?
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 12:21:19 PM »

In de same breath you wouldnt play Kaka in defence or play Riquelme where Crespo does play...

I think he was man-marked to an extent so I would have like to see him play in a deep midfield role (where they had Dean Pacheco), or out on the left where he would be most effective.. If he is the marquee player the team should be geared to his strengths, but that said, there was a marked difference in their play once he came off.

I not making excuses for de man but I just saying i know how quick people like to judge him based on what they read, and i dont think that game was enough to make a fair assessment...

OK....leh meh make de followin disclaimers...

1 - In no way am I equating Kaka wit Jemmott
2 - Or Mascherano wit any Rangers defender
3 - Ah jes comparing de situations

Wit dat outta de way....look what went on wit Kaka in de CL Final

Kaka is Milan mose dangerous player.  Top scorer (from midfield) of de CL.  Mascherano didn't exactly man mark Kaka, but he pretty much was on him anytime he get near de ball and as a result, significantly reduced his effectiveness.

Once Mascherano was subbed in favour of Kewell ah tink it was, (Liverpool was searchin for an equalizer) Kaka promptly utilised his new found "freedom" & threaded a superb through ball for Pippo to score.

If Jemmott drop way deep to get the ball,

1)- It limits his effectiveness because the further away from goal he is, the less he can hurt the opposition.

2)- He doesn't appear fit enough to do de extra wuk required to consistently take de ball from deep & link up wit de ress a de midfield into a threatening position for the opposition.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 12:36:59 PM »

OK....leh meh make de followin disclaimers...

1 - In no way am I equating Kaka wit Jemmott
2 - Or Mascherano wit any Rangers defender
3 - Ah jes comparing de situations

Wit dat outta de way....look what went on wit Kaka in de CL Final

Kaka is Milan mose dangerous player.  Top scorer (from midfield) of de CL.  Mascherano didn't exactly man mark Kaka, but he pretty much was on him anytime he get near de ball and as a result, significantly reduced his effectiveness.

Once Mascherano was subbed in favour of Kewell ah tink it was, (Liverpool was searchin for an equalizer) Kaka promptly utilised his new found "freedom" & threaded a superb through ball for Pippo to score.

If Jemmott drop way deep to get the ball,

1)- It limits his effectiveness because the further away from goal he is, the less he can hurt the opposition.

2)- He doesn't appear fit enough to do de extra wuk required to consistently take de ball from deep & link up wit de ress a de midfield into a threatening position for the opposition.

Lemme also publish disclaimers to say in no way am i likening Jemmot to any of the players mentioned..

Right.. I dont think the CL final analogy works here and for what happened in the final..

Jemmot is an excellent passer, dribbler and has some vision.. He is slow, cumbersome and a bit ungainly at times.. Where they had him playing he was an easy target for the Connection defenders and defensive mids to quickly close him down and harry him off the ball.. Im saying if he dropped deep to pick up the ball off his defenders and face the opposing goal he couldve done more damage there.. Or if he went out on the left where there was freedom to exploit, this would play more to his attributes..

(By the way, I was reliably informed that national team training right now, Jemmot is playing on the left and Trent Noel in the centre).

A better analogy would be imagine if we bring back Latapy and put him to play where Stern does play, how effective would he be..

I just think it was a coaching misjudgment but that is my opinion..

1]; } ?>