April 19, 2024, 07:06:50 PM

Author Topic: Liburd: FIFA oppose Soca Warriors' suit.  (Read 4504 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Liburd: FIFA oppose Soca Warriors' suit.
« on: June 01, 2007, 01:02:16 AM »
FIFA oppose Soca Warriors' suit.
Blatter could intervene in bonus battle.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

FIFA vice-president and Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) Jack Warner was in Switzerland when the deadline passed to register the country's 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup squad but the 2006 World Cup bonus battle that divided players and administrators might have been at the forefront of his agenda.
Yesterday, Sepp Blatter, an open ally of Warner, was re-instated as FIFA president for a third term and immediately oversaw the amendment of a statute that could have immediate ramifications on a looming court case involving the CONCACAF president.
The FIFA Congress approved an amendment to article 62 of the statutes, which now obliges associations "to insert a clause in their statutes or regulations stipulating that disputes affecting the football family may not be taken to ordinary courts of law".
"Sport has to be able to manage itself," said Blatter. "We need to have the strength and the courage to accept that responsibility and to settle our own affairs."
The FIFA decision comes in the face of imminent legal action by 16 Trinidad and Tobago World Cup players who claimed that the T&TFF reneged on a bonus deal struck between the "Soca Warriors" and Warner, who acted as chairman of the LOC 2006-a company formed to handle financial matters arising from the national team's qualification.
The amendment is likely to prompt a barrage of telephone calls from the players' legal representative, although British sport lawyer Michael Townley did not accept that their case was in danger before it had properly begun.
Townley, who heads Athletes One Legal in London, said he still had to determine whether such an amendment would affect the present dispute and was unsure about the specifics of FIFA's proposal. He asked only for transparency from the world governing body while he reiterated his confidence in the Court for Arbitration in Sport (CAS), which is also based in Switzerland.
"It is ideal that this is settled in a sporting forum," said Townley, "so long as the proper process is put in place to solve this dispute in a transparent and vigorous manner.
"I have quite a bit of experience in the court for sport arbitration in Lausanne, which is a very transparent and robust sport dispute tribunal."
On April 28, 2007, Townley warned of legal action against the T&TFF within a two-week period and charged that the local governing body was either bluffing or had underestimated the strength of their case. Court action was delayed, though, while the players requested a meeting with the T&TFF regarding their non-selection for the Gold Cup.
"We refer to this in our industry as 'put up or shut up'," Townley said about the T&TFF's behaviour, two months ago. "The attitude of the Federation is that the players have a good case but they won't be organised enough or disciplined enough to see it through and they are hiding behind that.
"We asked specifically whether there was any arbitration clause and they never answered yes or no. We are left to assume that the only way of finding justice is through a court of law."
FIFA's announcement, yesterday, could force another delay by the Warriors' legal team as they ponder the implications. Time will tell whether the rules of the game were changed after kick off.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 03:58:13 AM by Flex »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Liburd: FIFA oppose Soca Warriors' suit
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 01:40:31 AM »
"Time will tell whether the rules of the game were changed after kick off."

FIFA changes the rules to suit their wishes of the moment.

""It is ideal that this is settled in a sporting forum," said Townley, "so long as the proper process is put in place to solve this dispute in a transparent and vigorous manner
"I have quite a bit of experience in the court for sport arbitration in Lausanne, which is a very transparent and robust sport dispute tribunal.""
Lets hope Mr. Townley is right.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 02:15:21 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Liburd: FIFA oppose Soca Warriors' suit
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 03:11:25 AM »
funny how another one of FIFAs rules concerning the formation of players unions has been completely ignored by Darth Warner. I don't think they can bring in rules retrospectively. Had Mr Warner opted to recognise FPATT, FIFA could have argued that the case was no longer being fought in the court. Not that clever, are they?

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Liburd: FIFA oppose Soca Warriors' suit.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 08:53:42 AM »
The irony of this is that Jackula who is the source of the conflict is also a decision maker in the body that is seeking to conduct the arbitration process. The only reason this Article 62 clause is being injected is that it will expose Jackula for what he is.......

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 09:03:39 AM »
Corruption at its finest.  FIFA create a way to say ones case cannot be heard outside of FIFA.  How in the world could this be legal?  Is there ever such a thing a due process with regards to FIFA?  In other words, FIFA are their own adjudicators, fully knowing that they are one of the world's most corrupt organizations.

This is the part of football that I cyar stand.  Jack and Blatter eh easy nah!!

Arimian to meh heart

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 10:05:37 AM »
You're right mate-theres no one to rule the rulemakers. They have absolute power and can meet behind closed doors. The only way this can ever be exposed is by enough FIFA members demanding transparency-hence my email campaign a few weeks ago.

By the way, by calling FIFA corrupt, Mr Warner will acusse you of racism. And of course he would win-even though it makes no sense!

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
So...with the tightening of Article 62 (keeping things in house as I interpret) how will this hamper the Soca Warriors' suit, besides continuous postponement?
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 10:29:06 AM »
Corruption at its finest.  FIFA create a way to say ones case cannot be heard outside of FIFA.  How in the world could this be legal?  Is there ever such a thing a due process with regards to FIFA?  In other words, FIFA are their own adjudicators, fully knowing that they are one of the world's most corrupt organizations.

This is the part of football that I cyar stand.  Jack and Blatter eh easy nah!!

Arimaman, since I read dis yesterday I raking mih brain to come up wid what other organisation in de World is it's own judge, jury and executioner??....and ah cyar come up wid none....but doh worry....somebody goh spill de beans one day and it will all come tumbling down.....their downfall would have to be from inside since no external force can be brought to bear on FIFA....

Ssstteeeuuppss.....

"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 11:56:08 AM »
There is no way this could be legal and/or ethical. There has to be or should be some international organization which all there organizational bodies have to be accountable to at some point in time.

This is like being tried for attempted murder and the accuser and their family are members of the jury. Can't win at all.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 12:23:17 PM »
allya remember this article
I bet you that FIFA cant suspend the G14 for taking this to court.....
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 01:52:01 PM »
I am younger the Jackass and Sepp, Fifa will change in ten years. Sepp out, Jack ain't getting the top seat. Senior VP is an Argentinean, our other European. All them rule going to change. MARK MY WORDS
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 01:56:03 PM »
why Camps doh run for FIFA president ??
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

1]; } ?>