April 24, 2024, 11:15:56 PM

Author Topic: T&T U-17s edged near the break by Peru.  (Read 3663 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
T&T U-17s edged near the break by Peru.
« on: June 15, 2007, 04:19:19 AM »
T&T U-17s edged near the break by Peru.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

In its first clash with a South American team since qualifying for the 2007 FIFA Under 17 World Championship, Trinidad and Tobago’s junior “Soca Warriors” suffered a narrow 1-0 defeat to Peru in the first of two warm ups at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva on Thursday.
A 45 minute goal by Christian La Torre was all that separated the teams as head coach Anton Corneal used a couple new faces, welcomed back Daniel Joseph into his attack and played without injured midfielder Chad De Freitas.
The early parts of the game showed no signs that T&T were far off their opponents as the two teams held the ball together in spurts, somewhat adopting a sparring approach without finding space to cause much hurt.
It was not until the 19th minute that T&T had its first try on goal, Stephen Knox being the player in the centre of the penalty box, trying for better positioning before dragging his shot wide of the left post.
And it took only four minutes after that before T&T goalie Glenroy Samuel had to make his first stop to a 25-yard floating attempt by Luis Trujillo.
Midfielder Leston Paul skippered the team and he marshaled his troops in the middle of the field as T&T matched the visitors in that area
But it was obvious that T&T were still much into its strength program as the players appeared jaded at points of the match.
As the half hour approached, Paul’s spotted space and had enough time as he sent one goalwards which dipped just as it went over bar from 20 yards out.
But it would be the Peruvians who measured the space between the sticks better on the evening and they did it just before the dressing room period. It came after some sustained pressure around the T&T goal. A ball played in from the right bubbled off a T&T player before La Torre timed his left foot volley well, sending the ball to the left of Samuel from close range for a one nil lead.
T&T made changes in the second half with Sean De Silva, Daniel Cyrus and Kevin Molino all entering on 66 minutes and then new face Cory Cyrus and recalled Franz Husbands appearing seven minutes later.
The Peruvians held onto their lead though even as T&T maintained a good approach from the middle of the park, leaving all bets open for Saturday’s return at the Marvin Lee Stadium from 4pm.
Peru are in Trinidad for the two matches as they prepare for Group A action in the World Championship with hosts Korea, Togo and Costa Rica. T&T meantime are getting set for Germany, Ghana and Colombia.

Trinidad & Tobago: - Glenroy Samuel, Aubrey David (Corey Cyrus 73rd), Sheldon Bateau, Akeem Adams, Leston Paul (capt) (Sean De Silva 66th), Robert Primus, Jean Luc Rochford (Ryan O’Neal), Chike Sullivan (Kevin Molino 66th), Micah Lewis (Marcus Joseph 80th), Stephen Knox (Franz Husbands 73rd) Daniel Joseph (Daneil Cyrus 66th).

Peru: - Eder Hermoza, Juan Arce, Jairo Hernandez, Jrven Avila, Carlos Bazalar, Ernesto Salazar, Daniel Sanchez, Nestor Duarte (capt), Jersi Socola, Luis Trujillo, Christian La Torre.
Corneal welcomes fiery Peruvians.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

National Under 17 head coach Anton Corneal says he will welcome a more fiery approach from Peru in Saturday’s second match as promised by his opposite number.
As Peru’s Under 17 players walked off the field at the Ato Boldon Stadium on Thursday after their 1-0 win, head coach Juan Jose Orea told reporters that his team would adopt a different line of attack on Saturday.
“I was happy with the result today but we will be having another player joining us and we will come out to attack more and give more in Saturday’ second game,” Ore said.
And Corneal later smiled at his comments, adding that he was disappointed that the Peruvians took a bit off their game midway through the second half.
“Of course! That’s what we wanted. They took the life out of the game ten minutes into the second half. I hope if he says fiery on Saturday … it is something we will accept and hopefully we can replicate the same. It’s going to be a true surface (Marvin Lee artificial pitch) and challenging for both teams,” Corneal said.
Reflecting on the game itself, he stated: “Generally I thought we did not lose value to where we are right now. It’s a good feel for us. It’s a team that comes out of a group with Brazil, and Argentina and when you saw what we did today, it wasn’t that bad.
“Of course we have been doing some strength training, three weeks of it and endurance wise they (T&T players) surprised me today because we were not way off. We didn’t see a spark but I didn’t expect a spark right now. We kept the intensity and closer to the tournament we will step up the intensity,” he added.
He maintained that the eyes will continue to be on the look for further talent with a couple of new faces in the current team which is expected to depart for Venezuela next week for another encounter.
“I would like to push them in parts of the game. The first 15 minutes is important for us because we will like to start well. We played out of the back four a lot more today than we did in Jamaica and that was encouraging. We have some new faces that we will look at as well as try players in different positions,” Corneal added.
Peru are in Trinidad for the two matches as they prepare for Group A action in the World Championship with hosts Korea, Togo and Costa Rica. T&T meantime are getting set for Germany, Ghana and Colombia. Saturday’s game kicks off at 5pm at the Marvin Lee Stadium, Macoya.

Photos

« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 05:30:00 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T U-17s edged near the break by Peru.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 04:51:35 AM »
Thanks for the report, Flex.  Good luck to the boys on the Saturday return game.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 08:54:25 AM »
Shaun Fuentes only got in from the Gold Cup and already a report and LINE UP from our under 17 game. That deserve an applaud....

Thank you Shaun. Give credit where credit is due !!!!! I look forward to more reports and line ups... oh yea, the photos was also great !!!!!!!!

:applause: :applause:  :applause: :applause:

Glad to see Anton trying out some new players. We need some answers especially in defence.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 06:50:58 PM »
Anybody who was dey see Fuetes? i say he get reports from Anton and write the report from he bedside.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 05:39:09 AM »
Anybody who was dey see Fuetes? i say he get reports from Anton and write the report from he bedside.

Doesn't matter, the effort counts. As I said, I hope he continues, even if its just a phone call to get some sort of line up and results for us. Remember, he only got in the country the day before....

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 05:41:03 PM »
The game finished 0-0.                                                                                                           

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 05:45:41 PM »
Anything of interest happen in the game?  Did the guys look better this time around?  Give some details if you could...please? :beermug:

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 06:05:52 PM »
Leston Paul and Micah Lewis had decent games. We played direct football in the first half and the second had bit more reckoning. We missed two easy chances in the game, one for each half. Peru had one chance in the first half that should have scored. Fullerton came out well and gfot contact on the ball.
You could see the team is in physical training mode. There is a lack of chemistry at this point but I'm not too worried. The forwards are not as quick as before. In few weeks we'll see a difference I'm sure. Sean came on in the second half and had a good game.

At the back we weren't bad just slow. I wasn't pleased with the way they dealt with probing diagonal passes. This may have been a result of the back 4 being too flat but generally I would say that they I have seen them deal with pace better.

Knox and Joseph didn't get enough of the ball. We penetrated most down the Right side through Micah. The yute could beat but he lil duncy head. He mad some good runs, dribbles and crosses. His first instinct is to beat and he almost got in trouble a few times. I would say he still had a good game though. Play of the game - He stop with the ball and make the defender fall on he backside, my boy then proceeded to DRAG the man , he end putting in a woeful ball though.

I have seen them play better.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 09:49:32 PM »
Thanks Jah could not make it today.

As 4 fuentes being there or not there on thursday Jack tief enough money 4 a local press agent.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>