April 25, 2024, 05:42:05 AM

Author Topic: Senior Spann sees Gold Cup as beneficial experience  (Read 1811 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Senior Spann sees Gold Cup as beneficial experience
« on: June 15, 2007, 03:57:45 PM »
Senior Spann sees Gold Cup as beneficial experience.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Former National team player Leroy Spann feels that the current batch of Senior Team players would only have benefited from their experience in the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup considering the fact that several of them had gone into a major international tournament for the first time .
Spann, residing and coaching an Under 16 team in Boston now, viewed the 1-1 draw with Guatemala from the stands last Tuesday and also had a look at the team, which includes his son Silvio, in its two previous games against El Salvador and United States.
“We were not at full strength because a lot of key players were missing. Most of the players were playing for the first time and it would have been difficult as playing at this level needs experience and you could have seen that was missing,” Spann told TTFF Media while making a stop in the T&T dressing room after the game with Guatemala.
But while he pointed out that the players lacked experience, he was also asked to give his views on those same players moving on with more in their shoes after the three games as he too would have started as an inexperienced player.
“It’s true but if they had at least a better balance we could have gone on in the tournament. We came with a fresh team but I think they will get better. We always have hope because we are a team that always goes from strength to strength. We just need good preparation and we can make it
“Qualifying for the World Cup is a hard road but we went through it already and we know what it is like and what we need is to get the best team again which can include some of these same players.”
Spann added that he didn’t see his son’s spectacular goal against El Salvador live ad only viewed it on a replay.
“I didn’t see it at first and only when a guy told me it was showing on the Spanish channel I was able to catch it. He hit one against the United States was also very good. I know he is now recovering from the shoulder operation so he’s not back to full strength yet. It’s good to see him back playing and I wish him well for the future.”
He also commented on his tenure with FC Roma, a Boston Under 16 team which he guided to the State Cup.
“My team did pretty well. I coach a U16 Second Division team but we reached the State Cup which only has Division 1 teams. We beat two Division 1 teams to get there so things are looking good and we will keep trying to achieve better things.”
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 04:06:59 AM by Flex »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

1]; } ?>