April 18, 2024, 02:21:09 PM

Author Topic: Warriors lawyer chides FIFA VP's tone.  (Read 4975 times)

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Warriors lawyer chides FIFA VP's tone.
« on: June 17, 2007, 12:14:56 AM »
Warriors lawyer chides FIFA VP's tone.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

Warner offside.

FIFA vice-president and Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) special adviser Jack Warner should watch what he says about the Soca Warriors.
Athletes One Legal, the London-based legal representative of 16 Trinidad and Tobago 2006 World Cup players, suggested that comments attributed to Warner in yesterday's daily newspapers were "wide of the mark" and possibly defamatory.
Warner told the Caribbean Media Corporation that the disgruntled Warriors were "consumed by greed" and had needlessly held their country "to ransom". The CONCACAF president also blamed the players for the lack of negotiation between the parties and warned that "they will stay outside the pail of organised football" until they dropped the threat of legal action.
Shaka Hislop, a Dallas FC goalkeeper and one of the World Cup stand-outs, said the players, who all received the nation's second highest award of Chaconia Medal (gold) for their performances in Germany, were preparing a response to Warner's statements and had no immediate comment.
However, Michael Townley, Athletes One Legal's lead lawyer, said his firm repeatedly requested dialogue with the T&TFF over 2006 World Cup bonuses but failed to even receive the courtesy of a response.
The Warriors agreed a 50 per cent split of World Cup revenue with the T&TFF prior to the Germany World Cup but, last September, refused to accept the proposed handout of $5,644.08 per player after querying the authenticity of the figure. Dialogue has been virtually non-existent ever since, while coach Wim Rijsbergen was ordered not to use the players in friendly matches or for the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup.
"The record shows that the T&TFF has not made any serious effort to negotiate with the players," Townley told the Sunday Express. "The players have been trying from the beginning to set up dialogue and understand the process by which we can negotiate. It is not a case of getting back to the table because we have never been invited to the table.
"Mr Warner's statements are very wide of the mark. The players would rather have a negotiation but it takes two to tango and the T&TFF has never been at the dance."
Townley described Warner's unhappiness about the players seeking legal advice as "incredible" and added it was the T&TFF's perceived lack of transparency that made lawyers necessary.
He said the players initially attempted to negotiate with the T&TFF on their own but felt they were being tricked and saw it necessary to get help.
"Lawyers are used to help in settlement negotiations," said Townley. "It is standard practice and should not be taken as a hostile act at all It is really inappropriate for Warner to suggest that the players should not seek independent legal advice.
"The point about lawyers is that they become essential if one side is disputing a contract. They have made lawyers necessary and not the players."
Townley denied his clients were greedy and insisted they acted on a point of principle. The Warriors, he said, did not know whether they were entitled to "a small sum, a modest sum or a more generous sum" but merely wanted the agreement between players and administrators to be settled in a transparent manner.
"If the T&TFF shows proper accounting, the players would accept that," he said.
He suggested that Warner, who negotiated the controversial pact on behalf of the T&TFF, should mind his manners when he speaks about the country's football stars.
"It is in my mind that if he describes the players as greedy mercenaries," said Townley, "it is either defamatory or getting very close to being so.
"It is very much in the T&TFF's hands to remove this matter from the lawyers and court. But Warner's comments, with that hostility, will make legal action more likely and not less likely."
Townley said he expected to initiate court proceedings against the T&TFF within the next week.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 07:51:03 AM by Flex »
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Warner offside
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 12:18:55 AM »
Go Warriors first yuh beat Bahrain with the whole country behind yuh, now yur up agaist Warner with the whole country behind yuh again. You know you go win ;D

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 04:09:13 AM »
WARNER - BACKSIDE
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 05:33:30 AM »
Warner offside

Townley denied his clients were greedy and insisted they acted on a point of principle. The Warriors, he said, did not know whether they were entitled to "a small sum, a modest sum or a more generous sum" but merely wanted the agreement between players and administrators to be settled in a transparent manner.

"If the T&TFF shows proper accounting, the players would accept that," he said.

That is the root of the problem right there.
Transparancy.
Which is the opposite to anything associated with the TTFF, from elections (which I assume are more like elections in Iraq for Sadaam Husein) to spending.

As the man say, if the records truly show that $5584 are due to each player, they will be ok and accept it.

So why is there such a big problem on the part of the TTFF??

Is either:
1) They are being dishonest
2) They believe that they do not owe it to the players to show them the details

Either which way, I hope the legal proceedings start soon and everything comes out into light.

Who knows, this may be the catalyst we always needed to revamp the TTFF, but never had the ammuninition...

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Warriors lawyer chides FIFA VP's tone.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 07:53:25 AM »
Good Luck Athletes One Legal
buss a calpet in FIFA VP wire
and I believe that nothing at FIFA will happen until their fundamental opinions about transparency and fairness, change.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 08:35:03 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 11:27:46 AM »
And that not going to happen under the current regime. Then again..that may never happen cause ''Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely'' and I have no doubt that the only person more powerful in the entire world than the FIFA president is probably the US president (and that is only because the USA not that into 'soccer' so Sepp wouldn have sway over the people by threatening to ban the USA from FIFA competitions if they don't toe the line)
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 11:52:31 AM »
Michael Townley is absolutely correct.  Warner just talking out his ass...it's a shame that Trinidad doesn't take the libel laws more seriously.  I will never wish ill on anyone, but Jack will get his comeuppance sooner or later.

truetrini

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 12:00:41 PM »
Michael Townley is absolutely correct.  Warner just talking out his ass...it's a shame that Trinidad doesn't take the libel laws more seriously.  I will never wish ill on anyone, but Jack will get his comeuppance sooner or later.

comeuppance?  jack need more dan ah damn comeuppnace . he need someone with ah stink bamsee tuh rest ah bam bam eructation right in he and camps mouth!

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 01:41:37 PM »
"ERUCTATION"

Ah had to look dat one up padnah :-)

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 01:45:52 PM »
Ah feel he starting to feel the heat. Talking about leh we talk. Is like yuh playing man for yuh wife and telling she "go nah, go nah". When she pack she bundle and bussing, it yuh bawling "am....am...am I was only joking yuh know, whapen yuh cyah take ah joke".

Peter wait, Peter wait
Look Jackula by the gate...............
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 02:25:27 PM »
A year ago i was in such great spirits. It was world cup time , all the worlds best was on display, my home land finally made against all odds,and they had a very good showing ,also some of my favorite players in the world were playing on one team under the red white and blue henry, touram, veara, tresegea, gallas, zizu, and they were doing great, cracking necks and taking names, and even though they didn't go all the way i was still pleased with their effort, so was the case last year. this year on the other hand didn't turn out quite as well. it's like i was in a nice dream and some one woke me up to a night mare, and that's what this year's so far, a night mare.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      jack warner please end this night mare that i am in, i want to wake to a WC soca worriors doing what they do best. this shyte will only hurt, it wont help in any way. i am a crazy football fan, and i don't know what i might do next, every day i read this bull shyte i feel like i just want to bun dong the office of the TTFF even though i wont , but i will be facking lying if i said i didn't think about it a whole lot.                do the right thing for once in your old crooked life man.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 04:26:33 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 04:38:36 PM »
Peter wait, Peter wait
Look Jackula by the gate...............
Elan look de chooon here ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>