May 19, 2024, 03:07:30 AM

Author Topic: A year later Latapy gives his views on the way forward for T&T.  (Read 6083 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
A year later.
...Latapy gives his views on the way forward for T&T.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Wednesday June 20 marks a year ending Trinidad and Tobago’s debut at a World Cup Finals. It was the date 12 months ago when the “Soca Warriors” ended it’s campaign in Germany with a 2-0 defeat to Paraguay but moreso completed its mission of leaving a mark on the world stage.
One player who graced the stage that day in Kaiserslautern is now focusing on his way forward as it relates to the development of the game not just at his current club Falkirk but his homeland as well. Russell Latapy gave his impressions and reflections in an interview done at the club recently.
Latapy was asked to give his views on matter ranging from what he felt was necessary to take T&T football forward stemming from the success of the team’s showing at the World Cup to his tenure at the Scottish Premier League club.
“It’s difficult for me to pinpoint what is happening because I haven’t been around Trinidad and Tobago football since the World Cup and I don’t know much because I have to take myself a way a bit otherwise my head is in two places at the same time. But I have my feelings on what we need to do in Trinidad to maintain a certain standard of football. The key to it like everything else is in development. I think maybe five to ten years ago we had a lot of good natural talent coming through. No disrespect to the boys who are there now… I think we still have a lot of talented players but I think what we need is more talented players coming through so whoever is in change…they have a larger group to choose from.” Latapy also relayed to TTFF Media previously that midfielder Densill Theobald was unfortunate not to gather much playing time at the club and felt it was wise to try explore his options elsewhere which he supported and which in some way would have led to him wearing the captains armband for the country months later.
The ex-Porto midfielder explained what he felt was the difference between the development phase in T&T or the Caribbean and Europe.
“I think in order to do that we need to develop football in the grassroots area. Another thing I would like too see being done as I think (relates) to the football side of things in Trinidad (is) I think tactically we are not the strongest and we need to work on this. The examples I would give is that if you tell a young Scottish player to put in ten good crosses he would probably put in seven. I think it’s the other way in Trinidad as if you tell a young player you would probably get four or five. Now if you ask a young West Indian player to dribble four or five players, that might be easy for him and if you ask a young Scottish player to do the same it might be more complicated. I think the focus home needs to be readjusted and the way to do that is the (having a better) understanding of the game and getting organized.
When told of the approach to development at Falkirk with the club aligning itself with a University and adopting a more all around scheme of things, Latapy agreed that it was the right option, supporting the move to have similar approaches back in T&T through use of the football stadia and possibly a training centre.
“I think that is definitely the way forward in football. Football is not only played with the feet anymore. Maybe 30-40 years ago you could throw a ball out and one fantastic player could make a difference. But football now is a team game and you have to be strong and look after yourself. That is the way forward for the improvement of football.
It is a universal effort and it is going to take everybody doing their best to make it a reality. There are a lot of people with good ideas in Trinidad and in Caribbean football. I think the situation is (that) everybody is pulling in different directions and we need to put all our differences aside for the better of football and come together and do what is better for the game and not what it is for us as individuals.”
The question that obviously would draw a lot of attention a year after Germany was put forward to the current Falkirk player and assistant coach. So why not return to offer your services to the game at home. Latapy chose his words carefully and left the doors open.
“If given the opportunity I would love to. I have always said there are a couple of things I would never turn my back on. My family is one, football and my country. I would never turn my back … I think obviously it has to be in the benefit football and for everyone and the timing has to be right. There were some initial conversations when I was at the World Cup about this happening… me coming back to Trinidad and being a part of the organization and coaching set up but nothing came of it. So I will just continue to learn my trade here and gain experience and hopefully if that (opportunity) comes up one day I will go in and do my best and try to take football forward.
And about being ready to move back once the opportunity came knocking at any given time, he responded: “If it came up it is definitely a situation that I would give a lot of thought to. Obviously I would have to speak to my family about it and then I would make a decision based on that but as I said before, I would never turn my back on football and on Trinidad, so if that opportunity arises then yes I would jump at it.”
Latapy spoke on his career at Falkirk and other matters relating to his football during the interview filmed on location at Falkirk. This will be shown on the Football 07 programme produced by Markus Harm and 20/20 Productions on June 24 at 10pm on local television.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 05:35:42 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: A year later Latapy gives his views on the way forward for T&T.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 05:31:34 PM »
All dem fellas sounding realllllllllllll professional. To bad dem jokers in Picton Street eh get the memo. It is 2007 not 1937. Oh gorm I need to renmember to watch that programme sun
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 07:08:39 PM »
Them Idiots in Trinidad and Tobago do not want man like latas,yorke,hislop etc... Players who Know how the system is suppose to run around deh cause deh go get expose you Latas better be careful before ....................................... :-X
All American

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 08:15:15 PM »
Like lats eh know de way to get de coaching wuk is to first coach Joe public or what ?
there is no way foward at the moment ..warner has bloclked us at the pass !

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 08:31:41 PM »
 LATAS FOR TTFF PRESIDENT
Latas is the kinda man we need around we football and i don't mean on the pitch but in the big house with the decision makers.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 08:56:50 PM »
Nah Latas 4 General Secretary Shaka 4 President
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 11:32:28 PM »
It is real good to hear we Magician talk like this. When yuh have family and mortgage and life in a different country, things does change and you get settled.

Thank you Latas, I for one would love to see you in the mix sometime in the near future.

L A T A P Y
     1 0

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 06:21:06 AM »
long live the king

LATAPY
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 07:42:25 AM »
long live the king

LATAPY

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
:beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline UPRISING

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Justice is what de youths dem need overall..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 10:50:25 AM »
long live the king

LATAPY

8) :chilling: :chilling: :applause: :applause:
"...de way dem deal wit Mankind all mih gyal start bawl.."

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 08:10:11 AM »
Anyone saw the this interview on TV?

Latas should get the coaching duties of the next U17 squad...
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 08:36:04 AM »
I like how Latas sounding he should be given a chance with the senior squad at some point, providing he receives the same support Bennie did.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 12:07:45 PM »
well he cant play 90 mins......mudder fu#kin c#nts...make me spend all da money to germany to see goats in we midfield and the king on de bench....lorddddddddddddddddd
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline SabreWolves

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 01:19:14 PM »
Shaka will be talking about the current problems with TTFF on Toronto Radio *CHIN AM1540  with Jai.   That will be on tonight's show (Wed) [that is according to last nights promos]

1]; } ?>