April 19, 2024, 04:55:30 AM

Author Topic: Liburd: T&TFF squander Warriors legacy.  (Read 6362 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Liburd: T&TFF squander Warriors legacy.
« on: June 20, 2007, 11:42:06 PM »
T&TFF squander Warriors legacy.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

Lasana Liburd sees a quagmire ahead if the T&TFF do not meet with star players

FIFA vice-president and CONCACAF president Jack Warner was supposedly so content with the Trinidad and Tobago national football team's first round exit from the 2007 Gold Cup tournament that he wrote himself a congratulatory letter.
The names in the sent column read Oliver Camps and Richard Groden, Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) president and general secretary respectively, but there is no doubt as to the most important figure on this trinity. Warner was patting his own back.
His declared victory was not against competing nations but his own star players.
"I want to publicly commend you (Camps and Groden) and, by extension, your entire Executive Committee and Federation," wrote the T&TFF special adviser, "for the principled stand you guys have taken in resisting being blackmailed into doing what could never have been right for your country and/or your Federation by bending to the will of a mercenary few."
The Soca Warriors, for the record, had said farewell from a tournament that was easier to progress in than to be eliminated from. Eight of the 12 competing nations stayed in the United States to contest Confederation honours at the knock out phase.
The Warriors did not even come close to advancing from their group. Only Cuba did worse among the four departing teams and, even then, it took goal difference to separate the two Caribbean nations that ended with a point apiece.
Cuba lost key national players at the past two Gold Cup tournaments as team members defected in pursuit of happiness in the United States.
To hear interim Football Players Association of Trinidad and Tobago (FPATT), Shaka Hislop, tell it, the Warriors also face a battle to maintain their human rights after Warner voiced his displeasure that the players sought legal advice over a bonus dispute with the T&TFF after qualifying for the 2006 World Cup.
And it is this fight over World Cup money that consumes Warner most.
It is now a matter of public record the Warner family pocketed millions from Trinidad and Tobago's World Cup qualification in a manner that even FIFA was forced to voice disapproval by declaring its vice-president guilty of violating the FIFA Code of Ethics.
Yet, the same Warner sneers at the Warriors, who were elevated to the rank of national heroes for their World Cup exploits, for having the temerity to insist that the T&TFF fulfil a financial promise that Warner made himself.
Last August, the World Cup players were given the nation's second highest award of Chaconia Medal (Gold) for their stellar performances on the global stage and the subsequent boost in national morale. Less than a year later, the T&TFF blacklisted 16 members of the nation's most successful football team and the Warriors can barely distinguish themselves from the likes of Cuba.
For the T&TFF's managerial skill in achieving this dubious mark, Warner believes that congratulations are in order.
The cull might not have ended there either. Warner spoke in ominous terms about present national coach Wim Rijsbergen, who served as assistant to his Dutch compatriot Leo Beenhakker at the 2006 World Cup, for daring to request his best players.
"I have made the point repeatedly that the head coach and his assistant have been hired to coach the national team of Trinidad and Tobago," stated Warner, "and not the Soca Warriors of yesteryear "
Rijsbergen, Warner told the Jamaica Gleaner, will be re-evaluated soon.
Seven years ago, local coach Bertille St Clair led the national team to the Gold Cup semi-final round for the first team in the nation's history. Warner sacked him regardless before the team had even boarded the return flight to Trinidad.
Politics and not performance has always been crucial to Warner's decision-making.
He did not like St Clair's refusal to be dictated to on coaching matters. And he does not like anyone peering into his accounting books.
The height of vanity once seemed to be set by sportsmen who referred to themselves in the third person. Warner has raised the bar. It now belongs to administrators who write themselves congratulatory notes and then have them published.
The arrogance of the T&TFF and other local sporting bodies is nothing new but the manner in which Warner and his clique handle the enhanced reputation and financial wealth gained by the Warriors' on-field exploits is shocking for its irresponsibility.
Adidas, Ebay, Carib and the National Lotteries Control Board (NLCB) are among sponsors who invested millions in the Warriors' future. Millions of fans devoted emotional and financial support as they bought football tickets and merchandise and set work schedules around the team's calendar.
Yet, the T&TFF continue to make pronouncements without consideration for anyone but themselves.
The blacklisted players stated that they only require proof of the T&TFF accounts before accepting the World Cup bonuses on offer. There have been enough inquiries about Warner's professional ethics over the past 18 months to raise doubts in even the most naive patriot.
And yet he and, by extension, the T&TFF refuse to budge.
Last June, the Warriors brought pride to themselves, their country and the region. The Caribbean is routinely mocked abroad for being disorganised, short-sighted and lacking commitment and passion.
The Warriors resolve and determination on the German fields showed a fresh perspective as they outdid Sweden for desire-despite playing nearly half the match with a man short-matched England for organisation and eclipsed Paraguay for passion in every aspect but the final score line.
The results in Trinidad and Tobago's historic maiden appearance at a World Cup finals were a goalless tie against Sweden, a controversial 2-0 loss to England-whose first goal should have been disallowed for a foul-and a 2-0 defeat to Paraguay.
It was a fair return for the smallest nation ever to participate in the tournament and Trinidad and Tobago buzzed with anticipation of future football success.
Warner, the self-declared "Godfather" of the regional game, is looking more like an obstacle than an accomplice to this lofty target. His pronouncements on his financial stake in the team, which is never properly supported in accounting terms, is wearing thin, particularly as the T&TFF are not short of sponsors.
Forget the tiff about the 2006 World Cup bonuses. The legacy of the Soca Warriors is at stake.
For God's sake, settle it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 04:15:56 AM by Flex »

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
Re: Liburd: T&TFF squander Warriors legacy
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 02:19:46 AM »
Liburd articles never cease to impress me....if only shawn was the same way

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 02:59:31 AM »
"Seven years ago, local coach Bertille St Clair led the national team to the Gold Cup semi-final round for the first team in the nation's history. Warner sacked him regardless before the team had even boarded the return flight to Trinidad.
Politics and not performance has always been crucial to Warner's decision-making.
He did not like St Clair's refusal to be dictated to on coaching matters. And he does not like anyone peering into his accounting books."

Man, I am so disgusted that this sort of thing can happen and nobody in FIFA, CONCACAF and TTFF will stand up to him, very very sad indeed.

as I have said in another thread
I understand that we would be banned but what I'm saying that If the government withdrew the control of the Federation after they removed the vermin and allowed reform and elections to take place under the observation of some reputable international agency, would FIFA have to recognise the Fed. 
I would really like to see this happen.
The government should take a stand and tell the world that we, the SMALLEST country to qualify for the World Cup, is not going to stand for this
....it will take a few years to get things good again, but IT HAS TO BE DONE.
Think........David and Goliath

Thanks again Mr. Liburd,
we have to put our support behind Mr Liburd by letting his Editor know how much we appreciate his work against this situation.
express@trinidadexpress.com
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 03:26:41 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 03:29:04 AM »
Boss article from Lasana.Which other local sports journalist can come close.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Liburd: T&TFF squander Warriors legacy.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 04:26:59 AM »
His writing skills and timing is impeccable. Thank you for a wonderful read Lasana.

But Jack wouldn't budge. His ego is to large and his support is strong.

However, the pressure may break his pipe one day.

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 05:01:28 AM »

One wukking fuh de express and de other is press officer for de TTFF.  yuh cyar expect Fuentes tuh bad mout he employers...can you?

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 06:06:25 AM »

:shameonyou:.......
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 06:15:15 AM »

One wukking fuh de express and de other is press officer for de TTFF.  yuh cyar expect Fuentes tuh bad mout he employers...can you?

I undersand your point TT but if you write impartially you wont be taking sides you'll just be stating the facts lil things like arriors refusing to play for their country and stuff like that are untrue when in fact they are blacklisted ....state the facts nobody can deny factual statements....i doh rate shawn but I guess when in rome yuh have to do as the romans

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 06:32:40 AM »
Ok, let us recap. How many sponsors/contributors did the WC 2006 campaign have? I will add what I know, allyuh add in as we go along:

T&T Gov't
FIFA
Adidas
Ebay
Carib
TSTT
NLCB
KFC

I suppose what needs to be worked out now is HOW MUCH these sponsors gave. We all know the Gov't figures (transparency). But what of the others?

And if the TTFF will not disclose what was given, surely these organisations can be approached and asked what they gave. There is more than way to get to the truth.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 06:35:07 AM by redtrinigirl »
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 07:32:31 AM »

Fuentes does not write articles sir. Fuentes releases statements made by his employers. Nothing he writes is his own words. He is being paid to put into writing what the TTFF honchos say. I doh blame him until I meet him in person and know where he stand.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 07:36:28 AM »
Fuentes does not write articles sir. Fuentes releases statements made by his employers. Nothing he writes is his own words. He is being paid to put into writing what the TTFF honchos say. I doh blame him until I meet him in person and know where he stand.
Tell Dem ;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 08:23:54 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 07:55:16 AM »
Ok, let us recap. How many sponsors/contributors did the WC 2006 campaign have? I will add what I know, allyuh add in as we go along:

T&T Gov't
FIFA
Adidas
Ebay
Carib
TSTT
NLCB
KFC

I suppose what needs to be worked out now is HOW MUCH these sponsors gave. We all know the Gov't figures (transparency). But what of the others?

And if the TTFF will not disclose what was given, surely these organisations can be approached and asked what they gave. There is more than way to get to the truth.

WHat does get me with Jack's greed is, look at all them sponsers above, nobody knows the real figure, but we can all agree its in the million, maybe even double digit millions.
You mean to tell me you watch grown ass men and go hand them a check for 400(pounds) and just expect they go take that jus so.
Its not even self to say well he give everybody $100,000 US, were at least folks could be divided and some might say that is nuff money, and some might say nah that still sounding kinda small.
Some men mighta take the 100K and cool they self, but no his greed is so much that he figures he go give less than 1% of that and it will be cool.
He just dont care.

Same thing with the tickets, is not to say he tief half the tickets to sell, that way while he selling his tour 'packages' the rest of us scrambling to buy whats left of the tickets and too distracted,nah he tief all the tickets.
To me that just shows the ultimate lack of respect for the entire country or anybody else but himself.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 08:05:28 AM »

That's all fine and good, but in addition to handling the press releases (which his defenders here insist he doesn't write) he's also the TTFF's mouthpiece and that shit he mouthed at the Gold Cup last week in justification of the blacklisting of the players lost him points in my book.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 08:22:40 AM »

Ahh yeas but Liburd has free reign over his mouth and pen, Shaun is owned and operated by Warner and the TTFF propaganda machine

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 08:27:51 AM »
I love this article, it should be posted worldwide for all to see! What! what! is to be done about Warner?
, he is a two face lying shitsnake who steals from the rich and gives to himself. I wonder what Scamps salary is, imagine that man do even do anything and he collecting salary :frustrated: :frustrated: that is amazing!

Liburd keep it up keep slamming them a holes until something is done!!!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 10:11:13 AM »
Fellas it is very important that Warner be removed not only from FIFA and CONCACAF but most importantly the TTFF and I hope he take his men with him.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 10:32:05 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 11:33:16 AM »
i dont think jack thought that this thing would have irked the media namely lasana like that

it really may be the beginning of his demise

i hope it dosent deal tnt football a double edged sword in terms of funds

blessss
SHOTTA
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 02:28:27 PM »
T&TFF squander Warriors legacy.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

Lasana Liburd sees a quagmire ahead if the T&TFF do not meet with star players

Nice choice of title Lasana ,big up.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 08:49:10 PM »
Lasana Liburd is a class act and in a class of his own. Dem other jokers who does report on sport eh even in the same zip code
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>