April 24, 2024, 05:17:38 AM

Author Topic: Collin's off to MSL with Mojo's Toronto.  (Read 4772 times)

Offline HEARNAR

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Collin's off to MSL with Mojo's Toronto.
« on: June 21, 2007, 01:43:29 PM »
Collin's off to MSL with Mojo's Toronto.
Exclusive By: Hugh Keevins.

I'll have the shirt off your Becks.

What do Collin Samuel and David Beckham have in common? Both are now members of the MLS. Becks may have left the Galacticos of Real Madrid to become Tom Cruise's neighbour while playing for Los Angeles Galaxy but Samuel isn't exactly slipping into obscurity after signing a fouryear deal with Mo Johnston's Toronto.
Now he's looking forward to squaring up to the superstar's side - then asking for his jersey.
Samuel said: "I've been handed an exciting new challenge. And the first part of that might be trying to get Beckham's jersey after his side play Toronto.
"But I've got the feeling I won't be the only opposition player who'll want that special souvenir at the end of every game Galaxy play from the time when he arrives in the States.
"Toronto meet the LA Galaxy on August 5 but before then I'll have to get used to the cultural differences between football in this country and Canada.
"I could jump on the bus with Dundee United on a Friday night and travel to Glasgow for an overnight stay if we were playing Celtic or Rangers. But now I'll need to get used to seven-hour flights to away matches, longer than it will take me to fly from Scotland to Canada."
But Samuel is relishing the move and the new challenges he will face.
He said: "The league in America is no longer the place where players nearing the end of their careers go to graze.
"Beckham going there will give the MLS added credibility but the fact Toronto and other clubs are moving out of grounds meant for other purposes and building their own stadia says a lot about the scale of investment in the game on the other side of the Atlantic. Toronto have 15,000 season ticket-holders and I'm delighted to say Mo thought I was worth signing after he saw me in one training session.
"I'll always be grateful for the time I spent in Scotland with Falkirk and Dundee United but now I've been handed an exciting new challenge."
Samuel's agreement with Toronto is worded in the way of all MLS contracts, with the undoubted exception of Beckham's new deal.
At the end of each season both parties are allowed to part company with each other if there are any misgivings of any description and Samuel said: "I'm willing to take my chances under those terms. I've had a good time in Scotland but I turned down all four offers that came in for me to stay in this country when my contract expired at Tannadice.
"I've watched Toronto play once and the MLS is a different ball game to the Premier League. It's less furious and not so physical.
"Time will tell if it's the right move for me but it was a chance I couldn't turn down."
Samuel's agent, Raymond Sparkes, who gambled by underwriting the cost of the player's trip to Canada in the first place, has no doubts about the move.
He said: "There have been people who've said Collin could have played for Real Madrid beside Beckham if he'd had greater consistency to add to his talent and pace.
"But now he's joining a manager who's doing positive things with Toronto and provided an inspirational environment for Collin to work in.
"He's taken a bold step that other players from the SPL have refused to take."
Toronto bid for their first away win of the season when they take on Steve Nicol's New England Revolution tonight. Johnston's side lost 4-0 when the teams last met but have improved since then and beat FC Dallas 4-0 at home last weekend.
Toronto signs Trinidad striker Samuel.
Toronto FC Media Relations.
[/size]

Toronto FC announced Tuesday that they have signed forward Collin Samuel to a three year MLS contract. As per team policy, financial details were not disclosed.
A native of Trinidad and Tobago, Samuel joins Toronto FC after playing to the end of his contract with Scottish Premier League team Dundee United.
"We're excited to have him on board, I tried signing him two years ago when I was in New York," said Head Coach Mo Johnston. "He's strong, he's fast, he can play left side, he can play right hand side and he can play through the middle. He's a great edition to our team, having Dichio and Cunningham already."
Samuel, 25, began his career with Doc's Khelwalaas of Trinidad where he was a member of the team from 1998 to 2000. After moving to one of Trindiad's largest clubs San Juan Jabloteh, he opted to head to Scotland and signed with Falkirk in August of 2002.
The forward moved to Dundee United the next season and spent 3 seasons at Tannadice, scoring 14 goals in domestic action.
Samuel is also a big part of Trinidad's national team, having made his debut December 8, 2001. He was a member of the team during the 2002 CONCACAF Gold Cup and was called up to the World Cup squad in 2006 in Germany. He started in the game against Sweden and helped his side to an impressive 0-0 finish.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 07:35:09 PM by Flex »

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Colin Samuel Signs For Toronto FC
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 01:52:50 PM »
Looking at your name tells me you are the only person that HEARD this.
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 02:01:13 PM »
Was it Collin Samuel who socred that goal for Trini in that friendly this year?. Who  the hell was the country we play again? I think the score was 3-1 or 4-1

That goal should be in GOALS GALORE, Tallman help meh with this

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 02:08:23 PM »
Was it Collin Samuel who socred that goal for Trini in that friendly this year?. Who  the hell was the country we play again? I think the score was 3-1 or 4-1

It was against Austria in November.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U4LnsENgG9I
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 02:12:32 PM by remedy »

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 02:13:57 PM »

It was against Austria in November.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U4LnsENgG9I

THE GAME WAS PLAYED NOVEMBER 5TH 2006 Found the info on FIFA.COM,

THAT WAS A WELL TAKEN GOAL

Offline HEARNAR

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 03:05:23 PM »
I just heard it myself on the. He can't play in this Saturday's game as he is going back to Scotland to tie up some loose ends. You can hear the news @ 5:15 eastern pacific time on this radio station.  http://www.680news.com/
use the listen icon top right corner

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 03:23:05 PM »
Confirmed.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 04:10:06 PM »
When is he expected to start?
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 04:40:44 PM »
When is he expected to start?

Daiz all the reports so far .Guess it will be next week he ll play .This is confirmed by the score and sportsnet only eh.

This from  sportsnet

Playing undermanned is part of the routine for Toronto FC in June. Already missing a handful of players to international duty, Johnston has been eager to recuperate the losses through signings -- specifically Trinidad & Tobago forward Colin Samuel.

Samuel was a noticeable absentee at the training on Thursday, but Johnston pointed out it is no reason to be alarmed.

To the Toronto FC Media & PR contact: "When do we make a press release? I can't comment, but it is positive."

Samuel aside, the current goalkeeping situation is another area that needs to be addressed soon.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 04:48:19 PM by Quagmire »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 05:42:14 PM »
TFC looking for new image on road.
By: Steve Buffery -- Sun Media.

Toronto F.C. coach Mo Johnston, who was on hand to lend support for a Habitat for Humanity project in Scarborough yesterday, said his club had "just signed" a key player.
Which is good news, as F.C. is about to embark on a gruelling six-game trip and is missing some key players to Canada's Gold Cup and Under-20 World Cup teams.
Johnston didn't tip his hand as to which player the team signed, but it could be assumed it was Trinidad and Tobago international Collin Samuel, who spent the better part of the last week training with F.C.
Someone, however, must have lost the pen to ink the deal.
A few hours after Johnston's informal announcement of a imminent signing, an F.C. spokesperson said that not only had Samuel not signed with the team, he was on his way back to Scotland. The 25-year-old forward played the past four seasons with Dundee United of the Scottish Premier League. According to reports, there remains a chance he may sign with the club down the road.

Toronto opens its extended trek tomorrow against the New England Revolution and doesn't return home for a game against an MLS rival until July 29, when Eastern Conference rivals Chicago Fire roll into BMO Field.
Despite the daunting task of having to play six in a row on the road while missing some key players, Johnston expects his 4-6-1 squad to not only play well, but to move up to a playoff position from sixth place in the East. F.C. sits one point behind the Fire, with a game in hand.
"I believe in building things," Johnston, a former Glasgow Rangers and Celtics star, said. "We just can't sit on our laurels and I think that we're not bad for an expansion team. I don't want that. I want people talking about us for years to come."
In other words, he won't be happy unless his club returns home in good shape to make a playoff run.
"When it comes to the playoffs, we need to be stronger," Johnston said.
"I don't make no bones about it. I don't care if we're an expansion team, I don't care if I put extra pressure on myself. I believe in the pressure.
"I want the fans going home happy. I want them to be proud of their team. I don't want them coming to the stadium and saying, 'maybe we'll get a tie today.' I don't want that. I want us winning, and I want us winning and playing with style and attractive soccer."
Forward Danny Dichio is questionable for tomorrow's game after spraining his ankle in last Sunday's win over F.C. Dallas.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 08:39:59 AM »
News above update...
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 09:00:27 AM »
who is the club down the road?

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
Toronto FC sign striker Collin Samuel
CBC Sports

Last Updated: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 | 1:35 PM ET

Toronto FC added some depth to their striking corps Tuesday, signing Collin Samuel to a three-year contract.

The 25-year-old forward, a native of Trinidad and Tobago, joins Canada's only Major League Soccer team after finishing his contract with Dundee United of the Scottish Premier League.

"We're excited to have him on board; I tried signing him two years ago when I was in New York," said Toronto FC head coach Mo Johnston. "He's strong, he's fast, he can play left side, he can play right-hand side and he can play through the middle. He's a great addition to our team, having (Danny) Dichio and (Jeff) Cunningham already."   

Samuel began his professional career domestically in Trinidad with both Doc's Khelwalaas and San Juan Jabloteh before heading to Scotland, where we signed with Falkirk in August 2002.

He moved to Dundee United the following season, scoring 14 goals in three years.

Samuel has also appeared internationally for his country. He made his national team debut Dec. 8, 2001, and played at the 2002 CONCACAF Gold Cup.

He was called up to play for Trinidad and Tobago at the 2006 World Cup in Germany.  Samuel started in Trinidad's surprise 0-0 draw against Sweden.

In other moves, Johnston acquired fullback Todd Dunivant from the New York Red Bulls for fullback Kevin Goldthwaite.

Goldthwaite played nine games with Toronto this season, scoring one goal. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 01:03:14 PM »
Good stuff.

1]; } ?>