April 16, 2024, 11:34:29 AM

Author Topic: wimbledon-federer goin fuh #5  (Read 6364 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
wimbledon-federer goin fuh #5
« on: June 25, 2007, 10:51:23 AM »
Federer wins opener in straight sets 
Associated Press, Updated 9 minutes ago   STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   
blog     LIKE THIS STORY?

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) - Roger Federer came onto Centre Court at Wimbledon dressed like a player from a bygone era. He then played like his usual modern-day great self.

The top-ranked Swiss star began his bid for a record equaling fifth consecutive Wimbledon title Monday by beating Teimuraz Gabashvili of Russia 6-3, 6-2, 6-4 on a cool and wet opening day at the All England Club.
It was Federer's 49th consecutive grass-court victory and 29th straight at Wimbledon, a streak dating back to 2003. With six more victories over the next two weeks, he would become the first player to win five straight championships since Bjorn Bjorg in 1976-80.

"It was OK," Federer said. "I was pretty pleased with my performance. It was pretty solid. He played a decent match, so I had to come up with some decent shots once in a while."

Roger Federer was dressed in traditional whites for his first-round match Monday. (Anja Niedringhaus / Associated Press)

The man Federer has beaten in two finals, third-seeded Andy Roddick, also got off to a strong start, beating fellow American Justin Gimelstob 6-1, 7-5, 7-6 (3) on Court 1. Roddick served 16 aces, broke three times and never lost serve. Gimelstob is 0-6 this year since returning from back surgery.

As is so often the case at Wimbledon, the tournament began in wet weather, with play getting under way after a rain delay of about 2 hours, 40 minutes. Play was suspended later in the afternoon because of more rain.

In keeping with tradition, Federer was the first player to walk onto Centre Court as defending men's champion. He did it in style, wearing a white customized dinner-style jacket - similar to the cream-colored model he donned last year - with a gold crest on the breast pocket and retro long white trousers.

Federer took off the jacket and warmed up with a white sweater vest and the long pants before getting straight down to business - firing a service winner down the middle on the first point. He was never troubled by the 85th-ranked Gabashvili, who was making his Wimbledon debut and had won only one previous grass-court match.

advertisement

STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   

Federer needed only 1 1/2 hours to complete the victory, finishing with 33 winners and 13 unforced errors. He broke the Russian four times and saved the only break point against him.

Federer's mother sat in the Royal Box, while his girlfriend, Mirka Vavrinec, was joined by Italian motorcycling star Valentino Rossi in his supporters' section.

Tim Henman and Marat Safin were also to play Monday.

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: wimbledon-federer goin fuh #5
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 12:25:57 PM »
Like palos had said the man is the best ever .Nadal keep winning the French doh .

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 08:58:03 AM »
I'll be watching. Keep you informed.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 01:50:58 PM »
Federer eases into third round 
Associated Press, Updated 26 minutes ago   STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) - Roger Federer won his 50th straight match on grass, needing only 11 minutes Thursday to complete his 6-2, 7-5, 6-1 victory over 18-year-old Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina to reach the third round at Wimbledon.

The four-time defending champion, who will next face Marat Safin, had led 2-0 in the third set before rain halted play Wednesday. When they resumed, the top-ranked Swiss finished off del Potro, winning three straight games before Del Potro held serve in the sixth game.
"It was done quickly like I was hoping, but I was ready to go five sets in case," said Federer, who broke the Argentine five times and saved the only break point he faced.

No. 2 Rafael Nadal also won, beating Werner Eschauer of Austria 6-2, 6-4, 6-1, and advanced to the third round along with No. 4 Novak Djokovic, No. 6 Nikolay Davydenko and No. 9 James Blake. Four-time semifinalist Tim Heman lost, however.

The No. 1-seeded Federer, trying to become only the second man in the Open era to win five straight titles at the All England Club, finished with 33 winners and made only 23 errors — one less than Del Potro.

The Championships, Wimbledon 

Results:

Federer eases into third round

Venus dominant with serve

Features:

Serena's dad not happy with ump

Analysis:

Cronin: Jankovic ready to break out

Cronin: Hingis fueled by grit

Photo gallery:

Latest shots...

"Fifty is a great number to achieve," said Federer, who is trying to match Bjorn Borg's streak of Wimbledon titles. "I'm delighted about that but I haven't won the tournament."

Two-time Grand Slam champion Safin beat Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi of Pakistan 6-4, 6-2, 7-6 (4) to advance.

"He's always a player who can upset anybody on any day. I hope he's not going to have one of those crazy good days against me," said Federer, who edged Safin 6-4 in the third set at last year's grass-court warmup at Halle, Germany. "I feel like I will have to step it up if I want to beat him."

Federer said skipping this year's Halle tournament has not hurt his play, but he did admit to feeling slightly under the weather.

"I have a bit of throat thing going on, but not much," Federer said.

Henman was eliminated by Feliciano Lopez of Spain 7-6 (3), 7-6 (5), 3-6, 2-6, 6-1 in a match that started a day earlier. It was the third year in a row that Henman lost in the second round.

Henman, who also played five sets over two days in the first round, was the last British man or woman in the tournament. This was his 14th appearance at Wimbledon, and there has been speculation that it might be his last.

After the fourth set, the 78th-ranked Lopez took a bathroom break, which broke Henman's momentum.

"When you get into a fifth, you've got to try to maintain that momentum," Henman said. "Suddenly he hits two or three good shots in one game and he's in the driver's seat."

Henman walked to the middle of Centre Court to acknowledge a standing ovation, and then left with no emotion.

"I feel sorry for him because they (British fans) love him and support him a lot," Lopez said.

Wayne Arthurs, playing in the final tournament of his 17-year career and at 36 the oldest man in the starting draw, upset No. 11 Tommy Robredo of Spain 6-3, 7-6, (5), 6-3. Robredo is the highest seeded player to be eliminated.

advertisement

STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   

Djokovic advanced by beating Amer Delic of the United States 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (4), while Blake defeated Andrei Pavel of Romania 6-4, 6-3, 6-3, Davydenko rallied to beat Chris Guccione of Australia 3-6, 5-7, 7-6 (5), 6-4, 6-2 and 2002 champion Lleyton Hewitt beat Simone Bolelli of Italy 6-2, 6-2, 6-1.

No. 7 Tomas Berdych, No. 13 Tommy Haas, No. 15 Ivan Ljubicic and No. 20 Juan Carlos Ferrero also won, while No. 17 David Ferrer, No. 24 Juan Ignacio Chela and No. 29 Agustin Calleri lost.

it eh have nothin could stop federer from winnin this gran slam.nadal could only settle with de french

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 11:27:21 AM »
Federer got a bye into the quaterfinals since Haas pulled out, but I think he was going to beat him anyway the way he's been playing.

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) - Venus Williams made it to the fourth round at Wimbledon despite a performance so filled with errors she drew criticism from her father.

The three-time champion rallied past Akiko Morigami 6-2, 3-6, 7-5 Monday in a match suspended Saturday. And she did it even though she faced 23 break points, double faulted 14 times and trailed 3-5 in the third set.
Williams will next go against 2004 champion Maria Sharapova, one of only two players to win Saturday in the rain-plagued tournament. Williams trailed 1-4 in the second set when her match was halted, and when it resumed two days later she struggled from the start, losing the first seven points.

"If Venus moves up to the ball and takes it off the bounce instead of waiting behind the baseline, she'll be the only one here, including Sharapova," said Williams' father and coach, Richard. "She's not going to beat anyone if she's not moving into the ball."

Venus saw the match as a positive.

"When it was time, I did what it took. I definitely would like to do what it takes earlier," she said. "But I think on the other hand, that kind of competition is invaluable in this kind of tournament. So either way it's good for me."

Top-ranked Justine Henin, seeking the only Grand Slam title she has yet to win, became the first woman to reach the quarterfinals by beating No. 15-seeded Patty Schnyder in 56 minutes, 6-2, 6-2.

"I was a little bit surprised that the match was that quick," Henin said. "I was ready to have a good fight."

Henin has lost 15 games in four rounds.

"I did my job perfectly until now," she said.

In the completion of third-round matches suspended Saturday, No. 5-seeded Svetlana Kuznetsova beat Agnieszka Radwanska 6-2, 6-3; No. 6 Ana Ivanovic defeated Aravane Rezai 6-3, 6-2; No. 11 Nadia Petrova swept Virginia Ruano Pascual 6-3, 7-6 (3); and No. 14 Nicole Vaidisova beat Victoria Azarenka 6-4, 6-2.

No. 12 Elena Dementieva lost to 16-year-old Tamira Paszek of Austria 3-6, 6-2, 6-3. Paszek, the runner-up in juniors at Wimbledon in 2005, was thrilled to pull off an upset in her favorite Grand Slam event.

"The strawberries with cream, playing all in white, the grass courts, covering, uncovering the courts, rain delays, rain delays - just everything is so special," the teen said.

In men's third-round play, No. 7 Tomas Berdych beat Lee Hyung-taik 6-4, 7-6 (2), 7-6 (3).

The start of play was delayed nearly an hour by showers - the sixth time in seven days there has been a rain interruption, and another delay began in the early afternoon.

Only three players had Monday off - Sharapova, defending champion Amelie Mauresmo and Roger Federer. The four-time defending men's champion received a bye into the quarterfinals when his fourth-round opponent, Tommy Haas, pulled out with a stomach muscle injury.

Williams, seeded 23rd, struggled with her serve in windy weather and double-faulted for the final time to fall behind 3-5 in the last set.

"I was coming down too quickly on the second serve," Williams said. "So I made the correction."

Morigami then lost serve at love, and Williams hit four big serves to hold for 5-all.

With Williams serving for the match at 6-5, rain began to fall and umbrellas popped out in the stands, but play continued. Williams erased two break points - making Morigami 4-for-23 on break points - and closed out the victory on the first match point with a service winner.

The crowd rose to applaud Williams, including her friend, professional golfer Hank Kuehne. The court was then covered for another delay.

In the second set, Williams double-faulted four times serving at 2-5 but still managed to hold, then double-faulted four more times in her next service game. Morigami needed 10 set points to even the match, finally forcing a third set when Williams hit a forehand wide.

"Ask her why she's behind the baseline 13 feet," Richard Williams said.

Said Venus: "At times I was too far behind the line, but usually when I was really just on defense. Especially here, if you're too far, the ball doesn't come up. I will look forward to moving forward in the next matches."

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 02:56:13 PM »
muscle cramp,ah feel haas know he was gettin cutarse,he just end he sufferrin quick.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 01:06:08 PM »
Rain having a time in England. Typical of the blasted place!

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) - Defending champion Amelie Mauresmo lost in the fourth round at Wimbledon on Tuesday, struggling with her serve and falling to Nicole Vaidisova 7-6 (6), 4-6, 6-1 as rain again wreaked havoc at the All England Club.

This year's tournament has been hampered by rain in seven of its first eight days. Maria Sharapova and Venus Williams played only three points before lightning and thunder were followed by heavy rain, one of several matches suspended in the afternoon.
Earlier, Mauresmo had 14 double-faults and 37 unforced errors in a match stopped by rain three times.

"Definitely those interruptions don't help," the two-time major champion said. "I don't know how many (double-faults) I had today, but definitely too many. ... I don't know if it was her or me."

No. 3 Jelena Jankovic also was upset, playing through four rain delays and losing to No. 18 Marion Bartoli of France 3-6, 7-5, 6-3.

Play on Centre Court and Court No. 1 started at 11 a.m. Tuesday - two hours earlier than usual - because of the backlog of matches.

Rafael Nadal, last year's runner-up, played only nine minutes in the resumption of his third-round match against Robin Soderling. The second-seeded Spaniard warmed up for his match on Saturday but never played a point. After the traditional middle Sunday off, they began Monday but stopped in the fifth set because of rain late in the day.

Also in the third round of the men's draw, 2002 Wimbledon champion Lleyton Hewitt beat Guillermo Canas 6-4, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, and Nikolay Davydenko advanced by defeating Gael Monfils 6-3, 7-5, 6-3.

"That's the longest and toughest rain-delayed match I've ever had to put up," said Hewitt, who was originally scheduled to play Canas on Saturday.

Juan Carlos Ferrero, the 2003 French Open champion, reached the Wimbledon quarterfinals for the first time by beating Janko Tipsarevic 7-5, 6-3, 7-6 (5) and will next face four-time defending champion Roger Federer.

Mauresmo held three set points against Vaidisova when she led 6-3 in the tiebreaker, but then lost the next five points. After winning the second set, she fell behind 3-0 in the third and was broken again in the sixth game, allowing the 18-year-old Czech to serve out the match.

Vaidisova will play No. 6 Ana Ivanovic in the quarterfinals. The Serb held on to beat Nadia Petrova 6-1, 2-6, 6-4 in a match interrupted by rain four times.

Mauresmo double-faulted twice in the sixth game of the final set to give Vaidisova a break point. She then sent a backhand drop shot into the net, and netted a volley on the first point of the next game.

She then hit a ball into the crowd in frustration and was given a warning by the umpire. After the match, Mauresmo walked off Centre Court without acknowledging the crowd.

Mauresmo was sidelined earlier this year following an appendectomy in March and had a groin problem that contributed to an early exit at the French Open.

"Sometimes it shows that it's a lack of confidence and a lack of practice," Mauresmo said. "I just want to come back to the level I had quickly."

Vaidisova reached the quarterfinals for the first time at the All England Club. The No. 14-seeded Czech reached the semifinals at last year's French Open and this year's Australian Open.

"She's got some maturity on the court. She's showing she can go for shots at the right time," Mauresmo said. "She's been close already."

Play was twice delayed early in the match, each time for about 20 minutes. The third delay came when Mauresmo was about to serve for the second set, and lasted nearly an hour.

"It was kind of tiring," Vaidisova said of the rain delays. "You walk all those stairs up, the locker room in back. It's pretty much a long walk."

Bartoli, who will be playing in her first Grand Slam quarterfinal, will next face No. 31 Michaella Krajicek.

Also, 2004 U.S. Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova reached the quarterfinals by beating 16-year-old Tamira Paszek of Austria 6-3, 6-2.

"I put in more and more pressure on her," Kuznetsova said. "She was playing worse, worse, worse."

Kuznetsova will next face either Venus Williams or Sharapova.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 11:26:19 AM »
Looking like serena getting a cutarse from henin.  :waiting:
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 01:03:41 PM »
Serena's out losing 6-4, 3-6 and 6-3 while Venus is through demolishing Sharapova 6-1 and 6-3. Nadal is through to the 4th round beating Soderling in 5 sets.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 10:32:35 PM »
sharapova gettin real cutass these days

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 08:02:20 AM »
Venus real smash up dah gyul Kuznetsova. It look like Venus might be playing Henin in the finals. Who go win and who all yuh betting the champion go be.

I sentimental for Venus.

But I putting meh money on Henin.

Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 08:05:01 AM »
I waiting on Federer to come through now.

I say 3 straight. :D
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 10:12:10 AM »
Ferrero actually get a set from the fed?Roddick go get he tail cut. ;)

Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 10:51:48 AM »
Federer, Nadal win again, reach semis 
Associated Press, Updated 26 minutes ago   STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) - Roger Federer showed brief moments of vulnerability Friday before reaching the Wimbledon semifinals and moving one step closer to a fifth straight title.

Federer dropped a set for the first time this year at the All England Club, but still beat No. 20 Juan Carlos Ferrero 7-6 (2), 3-6, 6-1, 6-3.
"OK, a set is lost, but a match isn't lost," Federer said.

The man he beat in last year's final, Rafael Nadal, was back to his best, playing for the fifth consecutive day and reaching the semifinals by beating Tomas Berdych 7-6 (1), 6-4, 6-2.

Federer was broken in the first set Thursday, when he and Ferrero played for 37 minutes before play was suspended by rain at deuce at 5-5. The 10-time Grand Slam champion won the opening two points on serve Friday, and then easily won the tiebreaker after Ferrero held.

On match point with Ferrero serving, Federer flicked a cross-court forehand that Ferrero couldn't reach.

Results:

Nadal survives five-set battle

Venus reaches semifinals

News:

NBC, Wimbledon extend deal

Notebook: Djokovic, Nadal upset

Venus, Serena withdraw from doubles

Analysis:

Cronin: Nadal steps up when it counts

Cronin: Roddick, Venus getting better

Photo gallery:

Latest shots...

Ferrero, the 2003 French Open champion and a former No. 1, broke Federer to go up 5-3 in the second set and then served it out, but that was the end of the Spaniard's influence on the match.

"He served very well in the second set," Federer said. "I missed a couple shots. But it's been kind of a strange week."

From 1-1 in third set, Federer won 20 of next 24 points to take set.

Before his brief spell on court Thursday, the top-ranked Federer had not played since beating Marat Safin last Friday in the third round. His fourth-round opponent, Tommy Haas, withdrew with an injury, giving Federer almost a week off.

"It was hard for me. I had many days off," Federer said. "I'm just really happy I came through it and I'm back in the rhythm now."

Federer, who stretched his grass-court winning streak to 52, is trying to win a fifth consecutive Wimbledon title, something only Bjorn Borg has done in the past 100 years.

Nadal was broken once early in the first set, but didn't faced any more serious challenges. He broke the Czech in the opening games of the second and third sets.

Nadal had his first match point on Berdych's serve at 5-1 in the third set, but the Czech erased it with an ace. Nadal wasted another in the next game, but won when Berdych sent a forehand into the net.

"I had to concentrate with the movement because the ball was very difficult to touch," Nadal said. "Today was very tough with the wind, but anyway I played very good."

The second-seeded Spaniard was stretched to five sets in the previous two rounds, with the former being played over a span of three days at the All England Club. If he wins Saturday's semifinal against No. 4 Novak Djokovic, then Sunday's final would mark Nadal's seventh consecutive day on court.

"Two very, very tough games, tough matches against (Robin) Soderling and (Mikhail) Youzhny," Nadal said. "The most important thing is the victory."

Djokovic, who has also played on each the last five days, needed exactly five hours to beat No. 10 Marcos Baghdatis 7-6 (4), 7-6 (9), 6-7 (3), 4-6, 7-5. The longest Wimbledon singles match every played on one day lasted only five minutes longer.

Later Friday, No. 3 Andy Roddick was scheduled to play No. 12 Richard Gasquet. In the women's semifinals, No. 6 Ana Ivanovic was playing No. 23 Venus Williams, and No. 1 Justine Henin was scheduled to take on No. 18 Marion Bartoli.

advertisement

STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   

Nadal, who lost to Federer in last year's final, is trying to become the first man to win the French Open and Wimbledon in the same year since Bjorn Borg in 1980. The Spaniard has won the last three titles at Roland Garros.

Berdych was playing in the quarterfinals at a Grand Slam for the first time. He won the grass-court warm-up tournament in Halle, Germany, in the absence of Federer, but struggled Friday with several bad hops. In the final game, a serve from Nadal took another awkward bounce that went toward his body.

"He's not making a lot of mistakes," Berdych said of Nadal. "He's trying to play similar game like on the clay."

Rain on nine of the first 10 days of the tournament created a huge backlog in the schedule, forcing many of the remaining men and women to play on consecutive days.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 01:05:13 PM »
Ok now......Roddick just get his arse put out. Gasquet looking good I'm concerned now. He just might be the one to do it and beat federer. But my money on Fed.

Henin lost so everything going for Venus. First got to win this match.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 11:24:14 AM »
Well, Fed and Nadal in the final. As long as Federer stays aggressive in his service games and doesn't try to outhit Nadal from the baseline, he should be able to notch his fifith consecutive wimbledon title without too many problems.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 10:57:20 PM »
True. Yeah but give me ah prediction.

I say four sets to Federer. 6-2 2-6 7-5 7-6. Leh we see how closee I was. Anybody have another?

Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 11:05:38 PM »
True. Yeah but give me ah prediction.

I say four sets to Federer. 6-2 2-6 7-5 7-6. Leh we see how closee I was. Anybody have another?

u is harribance or nostradamas.lol.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2007, 08:56:28 AM »
we have a real final on our hands.

A set apiece.
7-6 Federer
6-4 Nadal
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 09:59:01 AM »
Pressure for Federer.

He win the 1st and 3rd on the tiebreak, but now down 3-0 in the 4th.

Hawkeye not being kind to him at all. He want them to turn it off. Nadal is using the challenge effectively.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2007, 10:55:49 AM »
This is a great match.
Back and forth.

Who was saying that Federer does crack under pressure?

Offline richpy

• Sr. Warrior
  • *Marta is ah boss*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 12:15:59 PM »
5 Wimbledons for Fed!! Roger had to stretch for every volley today, them vicious topspins by Rafa ain't easy at'all.  Credit to Rafa. He seems to be closing the gap now.
Ketch footballitis

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 02:29:56 PM »
Federer wins fifth straight Wimbledon 
Associated Press, Updated 37 minutes ago   STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   

Roger Federer hit an overhead smash to capture his fifth straight Wimbledon title. He then collapsed to his knees in jubilation and relief - just as Bjorn Borg used to do.

Federer played - and won - his first five-setter in a Grand Slam final, beating nemesis Rafael Nadal 7-6 (7), 4-6, 7-6 (3), 2-6, 6-2 Sunday for his 11th major title.
Federer is the first man to win five straight titles at the All England Club since Borg did it from 1976-80. The Swede watched the match from the Royal Box with other past champions, and applauded as Federer fell to the ground after his smash on match point.

Gentlemen's singles final - Centre Court - All England Club

Roger Federer 79 4 77 2 6
Rafael Nadal 67 6 63 6 2

After Federer left the court, he and Borg exchanged hugs and smiles in front of the board that lists tournament champions. Federer's name had already been added to the list for 2007.

"Thank you for coming out," Federer told Borg.

"Not at all. Sure," Borg answered.

Federer stretched his record grass-court winning streak to 53 and his Wimbledon winning streak to 34. He is tied for third on the career list with Borg and Rod Laver at 11 major titles, trailing Pete Sampras' 14 and Roy Emerson's 12.

"Each one is special, no doubt," Federer said. "To hold the trophy is always the best thing."

Federer beat Nadal for only the fifth time in 13 meetings. The Spaniard has defeated Federer in the past two French Open finals to spoil his bid to complete a career Grand Slam.

"Today was a little bit disappointing because I had good chances," said Nadal, , who also lost to Federer in last year's final. "Tomorrow I will be happy about my tournament and about my game."

Federer saved four break points early in the fifth set, two at 1-1 and two at 2-2. Then, leading 3-2, Federer converted a break point with a forehand winner after a 14-stroke rally that produced some of the best shots of the match.

It was Federer's first break since the second game of the match.

"If Rafael had won one of these, I think maybe now Rafael would be the champion," said Nadal's coach, Toni Nadal.

Nadal had been trying to emulate another of Borg's feats by winning the French Open and Wimbledon in the same year.

Results:

Federer wins 5th straight title

Venus claims 4th championship

Analysis:

Cronin: Venus finds ferocious form

Photo gallery:

Latest shots...

Nadal, who played two other five-set matches in a tournament plagued by rain, was on the court for the seventh straight day.

After taking a 4-1 lead in the fourth set, the Spaniard called for a trainer to treat his right knee. Although he returned with tape below the knee cap, it didn't seem to slow him.

Federer finished with 24 aces, 65 winners and 34 unforced errors. Nadal had 50 winners and 24 unforced errors.

Nadal also used the "Hawk-Eye" replay technology, which made its debut at Wimbledon this year, to great effect. One time, a call reversal in the fourth set infuriated Federer so much that he complained to the chair umpire after being broken for the fourth time.

"It's killing me today," Federer said after sitting down during the changeover.

In the first set, Federer converted his third break point in the second game, defensively returning a hard serve from Nadal and watching the Spaniard net a forehand.

In the tiebreaker, Federer jumped ahead 5-2 and thought he won the set on his third set point when leading 6-5, but Nadal challenged a call and "Hawk-Eye" showed his shot was in.

Federer wasted another set point at 7-6, but finally won with a backhand volley after Nadal sent a backhand into the net at 7-7.

advertisement

STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   

Nadal broke Federer at 5-4 to win the second set, converting his first set point with a backhand winner. The Spaniard then pulled within two points of doing the same in the third set, coming back from 40-love to deuce. But Federer used a pair of volleys to hold to 5-5.

Nadal was again two points from the set while leading 6-5, but after he put a forehand into the net, Federer served an ace and then finished it off with a service winner.

"Maybe the difference is the serve," Nadal said. "He (served) better than me, and that's important in every surface, but in this surface more, no?"

Federer was broken again to open the fourth set, and Nadal added another break to take a 3-0 lead.

"It was such a close match," Federer said. "I told Rafa at the net he deserved it as well. I'm the lucky one today."

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2007, 02:30:51 PM »
a whoppin 11 gran slam titles now,trailin pete's 14.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2007, 06:22:05 PM »

Gave Nadal his jacket yes...dat fella played his ass out...in my books he is also a champion. Federer like the man he is...no big fanfare. i like that. :beermug:
That man is class.  22 aces vs Nadel's 1. 

What i vex bout is i miss Venus winnin her match.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2007, 06:47:49 PM »

Gave Nadal his jacket yes...dat fella played his ass out...in my books he is also a champion. Federer like the man he is...no big fanfare. i like that. :beermug:

ofcourse,is only nadal does beat federer.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 11:11:10 AM »
well done to federer! I really want him to beat Pete's record of 14...Nadal just amazes me, he is so young and always improving...Hopefully we can look forward to more classics between him and federer
Back in Trini...

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2007, 05:13:52 PM »

only on clay ;D

hear nah Capo...lemme go back
out of dem champions of yesteryear
who ya think could beat Federer on grass in ah match today ??? you think there will be a competition ???

we talking bout men like Sampras, McEnroe, Ashe, Bjorn, Connors, Agassi to name ah few.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »

only on clay ;D

hear nah Capo...lemme go back
out of dem champions of yesteryear
who ya think could beat Federer on grass in ah match today ??? you think there will be a competition ???

we talking bout men like Sampras, McEnroe, Ashe, Bjorn, Connors, Agassi to name ah few.
gyul i eh know who go win,but ah will pay top dollar to see federer play anybody on yuh list.i think he beat andre  already.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2007, 07:55:28 PM »
wud have to say andre probably wud be the least likely to win on the grass...Pete maybe cuz dat man serve was jus ridiculous...But the thing wit federer is he has so many damn weapons..he not jus a big server, but also great groundstrokes as well..
we can only dream of seeing these greats play each other..it wud be nice tho
Back in Trini...

1]; } ?>